• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian Entertainment: Short Summary on current Projects

JLB

Banned
The Outer Worlds had a AA budget and was made within 3 years. Outer Worlds 2 with AAA like other ongoing Xbox 1st party games would(like Hellblade II vs Hellblade). Although now they are making a fantasy action RPG probably set in the same world as Pillars of Eternity.

yup, but i’d rather prefer a AAA traditional, a la old school obsidian way rpg.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The Outer Worlds had a AA budget and was made within 3 years. Outer Worlds 2 with AAA like other ongoing Xbox 1st party games would(like Hellblade II vs Hellblade). Although now they are making a fantasy action RPG probably set in the same world as Pillars of Eternity.

I know TOW was an AA game and that's fine. I'm just not a fan of silent protagonists, character creations and prefer third person over first person especially when it comes to melee combat so im just hoping they change a few things.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Big Microsoft Project (Skyrim clone?)

- I'm saying Skyrim Clone here, but what this means is just a straight-up Open World RPG in a more fantasy setting with Microsoft money. Started shortly after the aquistion (but the desire hinted at as early as 2013) this project is lead by Chis Parker.

As long as they keep those woke little boyish "Outer Worlds" girls out of the game and setup some real women. They doesn't even have to be overly sexy. I really thought some pedophiles created those women in Outer Worlds and then i found out it was some wokish boyish women too.

If those women come to me and present me some boyish little girls i will straight up tell them "Nices boys but where are women that i asked to you design?"

I want more of this

DEHXLJkUIAAAQ-4.jpg

And not this

EE4EeoOX4AAPFyh

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
As long as they keep those woke little boyish "Outer Worlds" girls out of the game and setup some real women. They doesn't even have to be overly sexy. I really thought some pedophiles created those women in Ouer Worlds and then i found out it was some wokish boyish women too.

If those women come to me and present me some boyish little girls i will straight up tell them "Nices boys but where are women that i asked to you design?"

I want more of this

DEHXLJkUIAAAQ-4.jpg

And not this

EE4EeoOX4AAPFyh
A key difference between Outer Worlds and their next project(and eventually Outer Worlds 2) is that Outer Worlds is an AA game budget wise(their next project pretty much has as much budget as other upcoming first party projects like Halo Infinite, Hellblade II and Playground Games RPG project) with a tight schedule of 3 years(they now can spent 5-6 years on their games).

GeorgPrime

Banned
A key difference between Outer Worlds and their next project(and eventually Outer Worlds 2) is that Outer Worlds is an AA game budget wise(their next project pretty much has as much budget as other upcoming first party projects like Halo Infinite, Hellblade II and Playground Games RPG project) with a tight schedule of 3 years(they now can spent 5-6 years on their games).

Trust me. The character design has nothing to do with it being an AA game or an AAA game. I can order you a character design from some random designer on...

...and get better results than this and i only pay 100 dollar for it.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
She is now the game director at the unannounced project. Add a few more pages of RPGCodex bitching and complaining.
0MX7R3k.png

D.Final

Banned
A lot more details and some certainity about Obsidians upcoming projects has been released recently, so I thought I'll sum them up.

First up:

Outer Worlds DLC/ Outer Worlds 2

- As of December 2019 Outer Worlds DLC has been confirmed. Outer Worlds 2 not as of yet.

Grounded

Started after the conclusion of Deadfire, Grounded is a Survival Game *Honey I shrunk the kids* style. There's a focus on providing a semi-accurate insect biome and some other additional elements to set it apart from other Survival Games. Lead by Adam Brennecke.

Big Microsoft Project (Skyrim clone?)

- I'm saying Skyrim Clone here, but what this means is just a straight-up Open World RPG in a more fantasy setting with Microsoft money. Started shortly after the aquistion (but the desire hinted at as early as 2013) this project is lead by Chis Parker.

Non-Violent RPG (Sawyer)

- After leaving the PoE franchise and a short sabbatical Obsidian's Studio Design Director Josh Sawyer is now working on a rpg that doesn't feature any traditional combat at all. Considering Sawyer's prefrences and the freedom the Microsoft aquisition gives I'm highly speculating on a historical setting here. Possibly on Unity.

Source is a gamedev talk in graz, sadly there currently doesn't seem to be a video for it.

Additonal Game (Brandon Adler)

- Lead by Brandon Adler we actually don't know a lot about this project so far apart from its existence. Can't say if its supposed to be big or small, or anything really.

I can't wait to see a brand new IP

Laptop1991

i'm always interested in what Obsidian are working on, i enjoyed the Outer Worlds, not as long or as that replayable as i would of liked, but i got that it was a AA game, i will get the dlc for it when it's released.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Obsidian deliberately gimped 2 versions of Outer Worlds so people would buy the Xbox version.

They dumped piss poor console versions of Pillars of Eternity on consoles and shifted the blame on another company even though their name is on it.

They are well on their way to becoming the next Blizzard or Bethesda.

They are already showing the same contempt for consumers that other companies have done when they think they can get away with it.

Obsidian deliberately gimped 2 versions of Outer Worlds so people would buy the Xbox version.

They dumped piss poor console versions of Pillars of Eternity on consoles and shifted the blame on another company even though their name is on it.

They are already showing the same contempt for consumers that other companies have done when they think they can get away with it.

Absolute truth.

Teslerum

First off the PS4Pro version of the game was arguably the best one with the initial X bugs. Secondly the XBOX One/S version was by far the worst.

On your second point: No they didn’t. They gave over the rights for the console versions over to theor publishing partners.Which is why for example you had the Paradox thing on the first console version of POE1. They had no real say in those versions because they handed them over.

Which was a repeated mistake, but not what you’re accusing them off.

Stop telling lies and half truths.

Last edited:
I'm doing neither. Their name is on it. It's their game. They are responsible for it. If nothing else they are responsible for choosing a shit company to do the ports to make a quick buck.

Teslerum

I'm doing neither. Their name is on it. It's their game. They are responsible for it. If nothing else they are responsible for choosing a shit company to do the ports to make a quick buck.
They didn’t choose the company to port. Paradox/Versus Evil (who did it themselves) did. Thats the whole point. Obsidian didn’t really want to do console versions of the games in the first place which is why they handed the RIGHTS over for said versions.

Their name is still on it because they made the game and its their trademark. It gas to. This is like blaming Bioware for problems in the console versions of BG:EE.

I think you mean switch, there is no 360 version.

I meant the One version. BTW I don’t blame people if they blame them for problems in general with the console versions they did themselves. But thats a problem they have for 15 years and they certainly did not specifically *gimp* the PS versions especially when the One X version didn’t have correct graphics till like two patches in.

Top Bottom