• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian Entertainment: Is working on 6 projects now

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
"Trust me bro"

Anyway, they are working on Grounded (great game btw) and Avowed. I doubt that they have much more going on
Obsidian has many people that have made some iconic games over the last 20 years. There will always be some smaller side projects alongside the bigger ones like Avowed. Even the guy who made Grounded goes back to KOTOR II
But they are not making multiple AAA games at the same time as Avowed. For example Josh Sawyer(Fallout New Vegas director) is making a Unity based non-violent RPG with a team of 5 people. After Avowed has shipped Tim Cain/Leonard Boyarsky's(Creators of OG Fallout and The Outer Worlds) next project will go into pre-production.
How big is this dev? Doesn't seem to make sense that they would be working on six projects.
Putting some thought into this, it can be six if you consider Outer Worlds DLC and Grounded(full release on 2021). After this there will be four projects
  • Avowed, most of the studio is working on this.
  • 5 people in Josh Sawyer's Unity based non-violent RPG
One of the following two will go into pre-production after Avowed and be the next AAA RPG from Obsidian, other one will be a smaller game.
  • Tim Cain/Leonard Boyarsky's next project.
  • Whatever is Brandon Adler working on
Both of the above can also be one single project.
Ayyyyy crunch incoming.
Why?

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
One game is an accomplishment if they get 6 out they should be the developer of the year.

Teslerum

Sawyer only has 5 people in his team and Grounded will release on 2021.

I dont think any other AAA game is in pre-production until Avowed has released. Tim Cain/Leonard Boyarsky may throw around designs and some concepts for their next game.

After Outer Worlds DLC/Grounded are finished, except for 10-20 people most of the studio would be working on Avowed.

Of course they are. Pre-Production starts before your game shipped. The second sentence you typed is part of early pre-production. Pre-Production and early production is usually barely more than a few people as well.

Translation:

"Obsidian is working on six different projects, a new Fallout soon is unlikely
Obsidian Entertainment is currently working on six different projects, which means hopes of seeing a new Fallout episode developed by them are slim.

Obsidian Entertainment is currently working on six different projects, which means that a possible new episode of Fallout developed by the team will not arrive any time soon.

Since Microsoft acquired Bethesda, the developers of the Californian studio have often been asked the fateful question: will they make Fallout: New Vegas 2?

Well, beyond the intentions it seems that for the moment the greatest enemy of this hypothesis is the calendar of the team's commitments, which is managing six different projects starting from the second DLC of The Outer Worlds, supervised by Megan Starks.

Tim Caim and Leonard Boyarsky are dealing with an as yet unannounced game, which could be The Outer Worlds 2 or something completely new, while Josh Wawyer is working on his Project Missouri.

Then we have Branon Adler, who is devoting himself to an already established project that probably isn't a new chapter of Fallout, Adam Brennecke and his team dealing with Grounded and finally Chris Parker and the rest of the team focused on Avowed.

In short, unless a few sensational surprises we will hardly see a new Fallout developed by Obsidian Entertainment soon.
South Park 3 please

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Based on the fact that they now own almost as many studios as EA--3rd highest in the industry or something--and have a unmatched (atm) delivery system for content that is platform-agnostic?

This seems like a foregone conclusion.
Didnt know having multiple studios could be eventually be spun as a negative for individual studio output, you guys manage to outdo yourselves every time. I keep hearing concerns about Xbox will make "AA style games" due to Game Pass but ever since Series X reveal all the new announcements(Hellblade II, Project Mara, Avowed, State of Decay 3, Fable, Perfect Dark) are nothing like what you want me to believe. Also when did Microsoft become platform agnostic?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I know it's not going to happen but it would be great if they got the Alien license and finished/upgraded the RPG they were working on for 360.

CAB_Life

Didnt know having multiple studios could be eventually be spun as a negative for individual studio output, you guys manage to outdo yourselves every time. I keep hearing concerns about Xbox will make "AA style games" due to Game Pass but ever since Series X reveal all the new announcements(Hellblade II, Project Mara, Avowed, State of Decay 3, Fable, Perfect Dark) are nothing like what you want me to believe. Also when did Microsoft become platform agnostic?
I think you've mistaken my intent. I wasn't spinning it as "negative". I looked back at the previous comment, to which you replied and saw AA, so I understand the negative context now. I had thought he'd said AAA.

That aside MS are platform agnostic, with the exception of Sony. They have their games and services on everything and that's a good thing imo.

Top Bottom