• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian Entertainment: Is working on 6 projects now

Translation:

"Obsidian is working on six different projects, a new Fallout soon is unlikely
Obsidian Entertainment is currently working on six different projects, which means hopes of seeing a new Fallout episode developed by them are slim.

Obsidian Entertainment is currently working on six different projects, which means that a possible new episode of Fallout developed by the team will not arrive any time soon.

Since Microsoft acquired Bethesda, the developers of the Californian studio have often been asked the fateful question: will they make Fallout: New Vegas 2?

Well, beyond the intentions it seems that for the moment the greatest enemy of this hypothesis is the calendar of the team's commitments, which is managing six different projects starting from the second DLC of The Outer Worlds, supervised by Megan Starks.

Tim Caim and Leonard Boyarsky are dealing with an as yet unannounced game, which could be The Outer Worlds 2 or something completely new, while Josh Wawyer is working on his Project Missouri.

Then we have Branon Adler, who is devoting himself to an already established project that probably isn't a new chapter of Fallout, Adam Brennecke and his team dealing with Grounded and finally Chris Parker and the rest of the team focused on Avowed.

In short, unless a few sensational surprises we will hardly see a new Fallout developed by Obsidian Entertainment soon.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I look forward to the new Pillars of Eternity.

Could happen, but Avowed is in Eora so that may be the Pillars game for right now. But since Avowed and Pillars are vastly different RPGs, we could still see a Pillars 3 and it may work well with cross promotion.

If Obsidian were to do Fallout, then Tim Caim and Leonard Boyarsky would be the ones to do it. I can see them either deciding to go forward with Outer Worlds 2 (maybe use Bethesda's Creation Engine) or proceed with a Fallout spin-off.

Last edited:
Could happen, but Avowed is in Eora so that may be the Pillars game for right now. But since Avowed and Pillars are vastly different RPGs, we could still see a Pillars 3 and it may work well with cross promotion.

If Obsidian were to do Fallout, then Tim Caim and Leonard Boyarsky would be the ones to do it. I can see them either deciding to go forward with Outer Worlds 2 (maybe use Bethesda's Creation Engine) or proceed with a Fallout spin-off.
Yeah I meant Avowed.

I'd love to see what they're doing with it. Pillars has an interesting setting and the whole "secret" behind the gods, while not entirely original, was well done.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Article links to this ResetEra closed thread which does not provide any source
Since when did someone's personal wishlist of bullshit became thread worthy?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Yeah I meant Avowed.

I'd love to see what they're doing with it. Pillars has an interesting setting and the whole "secret" behind the gods, while not entirely original, was well done.

Oh, ok. Yeah. I'm excited for Avowed because it should be a reintroduction into Eora, but a different view of it and the lore of Pillars is just so good.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Posting on ERA means you're an insider now. Ask Dusk Golem.

Last edited:

YuLY

These people need to chill. While I'm still anticipating Avowed, fact of the mater is that The Outer Worlds was one of the most overrated game I've ever played. I rarely drop games in that style (new vegas, deus ex, mass effect etc, they are my jam basically), but I couldnt finish this one, I stopped on Monarch after seeing how lifeless the npcs and the world was in fact. Also you couldnt romance anyone not even just dialogue for the sake or roleplaying, but you had lesbian relationship throw in your face the moment you got off the first planet with Pravatti and that chick from the space station, its like they dont even try to hide that stuff anymore. The only char decent in that game was that Vicar.

So yea, I'm not sure working on so much stuff at the same time will help, but then again I dont think we will ever get something on the level of Kotor 2 or New Vegas from these ppl. Avellone and alot of other core members that worked on those are long gone.

Last edited:

Rikkori

I'm sure they're not spreading themselves too thin. At least not with the low quality bar they've set for themselves with games like TOW.

Rikkori

The Outer Worlds is one of the greatest RPGs in the last few years, what are you talking about.
2p1Xvjo.jpg

Bernkastel

I'm sure they're not spreading themselves too thin. At least not with the low quality bar they've set for themselves with games like TOW.
100 people were involved only in the pre-production of Avowed. Now they are moving to full production and will pull staff from other projects(Outer Worlds DLC finished, Grounded will release in 2021). The only other stuffs is the non-violent RPG by Josh Sawyer(these people hyping it up into some big AAA project don't even know that its made in Unity Engine and only involves 5 people). Considering they have only around 200 people, I won't call that spreading too thin.
TOW had a 70 people staff even in full production and was made in 3 years. It made sense for Ninja Theory and Obsidian to work on multiple projects before Microsoft bought them, now they are consolidating into bigger projects(Avowed, Hellblade II and Project Mara) and wrapping up there existing projects that started before acquisition(Grounded and Bleeding Edge).

Last edited:

Teslerum

It's not threadworthy, but it isn't wrong either. Pretty much the whole list is stuff we know about.

- Sawyer working on his Project
- Grounded
- Brandon Adler's project
- Avowed
- 2nd OW DLC
- Whatever Leo and Tim are working on

The last one being the most unconfirmed (Mostly assumed by process of elimination and I think one random quote that they are working on something) And yeah its deceptive as 3 of those (Grounded, Sawyer, DLC) are very small teams.

Last edited:

Mokus

There are always multiple projects that are in the works at bigger studios, but that doesn't mean they will be all considered for proper production. Often they are cancelled or can stay a very long time in the background with a very small team handling it (examples - Fallout, Demon's Souls, Nioh).

Shubh_C63

Based on?
Based on ?
I think MS sees AAA as a huge gamble. 1-3 recurring service based AAA games alongwith plethora of varied AA ganes they can put in Gamepass is the key.

Having a portfolio like Sony games is disadvantageous to their service Netflix platform. Hardware sales isn't the future.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Makes perfect sense considering Gamepass. And I don’t say this as a bad thing, as everyone in the industry is working on their content pipeline to deliver more frequent releases.

Based on ?
I think MS sees AAA as a huge gamble. 1-3 recurring service based AAA games alongwith plethora of varied AA ganes they can put in Gamepass is the key.

Having a portfolio like Sony games is disadvantageous to their service Netflix platform. Hardware sales isn't the future.

The future is content, which is the same as it is now. Hardware does little for gaming in terms of revenue today.

Last edited:

x@3f*oo_e!

Sounds like fantasy, but kind of believable too.

Obsidian seem like the industry's doormat, so not suprised if management are real life nice guys that can't say no to every team members idea .

Hope it works for them..(if true)

[but there's a difference between """"working on""" and 'in production']

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
Translation:

"Obsidian is working on six different projects, a new Fallout soon is unlikely
Obsidian Entertainment is currently working on six different projects, which means hopes of seeing a new Fallout episode developed by them are slim.

Obsidian Entertainment is currently working on six different projects, which means that a possible new episode of Fallout developed by the team will not arrive any time soon.
Obsidian is working on six different projects.
On six different projects Obsidian is working.
Working is Obsidian, on six different projects.
Projects six different, working is Obsidian.
😂😂😂

Jokes aside, I don’t like the fact that they work on so many projects. This may not end up well for them.

Gediminas

Banned
so like everyone sane was predicting, a lot of A and AA games. quantity in other words.
but of course their standard is mediocre so no surprise there.

Teslerum

what a mess

Jokes aside, I don’t like the fact that they work on so many projects. This may not end up well for them.

1 is a DLC (Whose small team will be freed up in a few months)

2 are Grounded and the Josh Sawyer RPG. Both of these together don't break 30 employees.

2 are possible AAA, but in very early production, if pre-production (Brandon Adler, Tim and Leonard)

1 is an actual AAA game in full production (Avowed)

That sounds very manageable tbh.

Last edited:

Teslerum

so like everyone sane was predicting, a lot of A and AA games. quantity in other words.

?

If you mean in relation to Microsoft that's deceptive as well. (To make any definitive conclusion)

Grounded and Josh Sawyer's RPG were both started on request of the individual devs themselves. Both are the result of burn-out (During PoE2's development) and a specific request to make a small game. And the DLC is a DLC.

The interesting part here is the 2 projects that are too early in production to judge (Brandon Adler/Tim Leo), but that's also why we have no indication of if they are AAA projects or A/AA ones made for quanity.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Based on ?

So basically
IpDAgCi.gif

i dont thinks this is good news at all
what a mess
And the usual suspects are here wishing every FUD that fits the narrative is true. This time they are latching to some REEE users wishlist. Bet you guys also listen to Dusk Golem.
Have you visited any Silent Hill reboot thread around here, lately?
No.

Bernkastel

2 are Grounded and the Josh Sawyer RPG. Both of these together don't break 30 employees.
Sawyer only has 5 people in his team and Grounded will release on 2021.
2 are possible AAA, but in very early production, if pre-production (Brandon Adler, Tim and Leonard)
I dont think any other AAA game is in pre-production until Avowed has released. Tim Cain/Leonard Boyarsky may throw around designs and some concepts for their next game.
Maybe they should stick to 1 or 2 projects for now...
After Outer Worlds DLC/Grounded are finished, except for 10-20 people most of the studio would be working on Avowed.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

Surely any decent studio has a pipeline at various stages of development...say they focus on AA and AAA titles for example - perfectly feasible to have three games in each category at various stages of development, including basically being an idea jotted in the back of a fag packet.

And if the AA titles are as good as Outer World's I'm pretty happy with that..

Rolla

Banned
I know the source is BS but I'm wondering how many devs Obsidian employs for someone to think that 6 projects is even feasible?

Jaxcellent

I gotta hand it to Microsoft, in a few years time you will need a Xbox if you want to play some WRPG's, they should let Obsidian make a new single player Fallout game, no time to waste!

SCB3

6?

hmm ok, lets take a guess then

• New Vegas sequel?
  • Pillars of Eternit 3
  • Avowed (assuming this is just set in the PoE universe and is not in fact 3)
  • Outer Wilds 2 or more DLC
  • New IP

Also most of the staff at obsidian worked on the original Fallout games, so maybe one like that? Though I'd assume that would be left in InXile to do as they've had more recent experience with Wasteland 3 recently

BootsLoader

Banned
1 is a DLC (Whose small team will be freed up in a few months)

1 is an actual AAA game in full production (Avowed)

That sounds very manageable tbh.
Time will tell.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
How big is this dev? Doesn't seem to make sense that they would be working on six projects.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
These people need to chill. While I'm still anticipating Avowed, fact of the mater is that The Outer Worlds was one of the most overrated game I've ever played. I rarely drop games in that style (new vegas, deus ex, mass effect etc, they are my jam basically), but I couldnt finish this one, I stopped on Monarch after seeing how lifeless the npcs and the world was in fact. Also you couldnt romance anyone not even just dialogue for the sake or roleplaying, but you had lesbian relationship throw in your face the moment you got off the first planet with Pravatti and that chick from the space station, its like they dont even try to hide that stuff anymore. The only char decent in that game was that Vicar.

So yea, I'm not sure working on so much stuff at the same time will help, but then again I dont think we will ever get something on the level of Kotor 2 or New Vegas from these ppl. Avellone and alot of other core members that worked on those are long gone.
I think we could be friends : D

GymWolf

Their last game was good tho
the outer worlds? very opinable...
It was an ok game at the very best imo.

Thank god i used gamepass to try the game instead of spending money on it.

but if you enjoyed the game, more power to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom