• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Observer: System Redux is Simply Better on PS5 Than Xbox Series X

SLESS

That has nothing to do with anything, the hardware is there, an abundance of it, and RT hardware is on board, and more of it, so if it's absent it's because of some kind developmental issue and entirely tied to software.

This isn't even a question at this point.

Shades of....

1Sng3Fs.jpg

ToadMan

I fucking knew something was off in the build up to launch. Gut instinct. One of the reasons I bought XSX was for its supposedly more capable hardware, which they themselves have pushed. I mean read this

He says it right there. You can say I should know better or whatever. I’m not really clued up on the technical side of things but i remember the PS4/X1 stuff about teraflops, it dominated discussions for months and months. Years even.

A fair number of people I follow on social media have gone radio silence on this stuff lately too when they wouldn’t shut up about it previously. Fuck sake.

Ah it’s not that bad for Xsex. The games look identical to PS5 in practice.

You’re missing out on exclusives from this gen and last, and the dualsense I suppose.

Presumably you’re ok with that otherwise you wouldn’t have gone the Xsex route in the first place.

So just enjoy what you’ve got. There’s still time to sell it on and upgrade to PS5 in future.

SLESS

I don't even need to explain why this is an asinine post. If you don't know you shouldn't be talking about hardware, ever.

The line being run right now that “it’s a software problem” is exactly what was running when PS3 launch tanked.

It’s a perception, I’m well aware your hardware is only ever as good as your software. Ask 343 how true that rings.

The line being run right now that “it’s a software problem” is exactly what was running when PS3 launch tanked.

It’s a perception, I’m well aware your hardware is only ever as good as your software. Ask 343 how true that rings.
The PS3 had an individual, convoluted and exotic architecture, these consoles are just x86 bro...

Drawing a comparative between the PlayStation 3 and this is just complete lunacy.

sinnergy

The PS3 had an individual, convoluted and exotic architecture, these consoles are just x86 bro...

Drawing a comparative between the PlayStation 3 and this is just complete lunacy.
And that was also tapped , and came beautiful games out of it ..

Yet Series X is doomed with its 52 CUs..

see the likenesses?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Man, this is becoming a PR disaster for xbox and the 'Worlds most powerful console'. 🤡

A lesson in how not to launch a console. Months of bragging and leading on their fans with marketing just 1 number (TF) which on its own gives only a snapshot of how performance is affected. Nothing to show its power, not even anything graphics wise level with Ps5 nevermind ahead, then losing head to heads left right and centre against what they helped lots of people believe was a weaker console, which actually isn't in many ways.

Being behind with the development tools and having issues.

Seemingly struggling to make the hardware live up to its bragged about paper specs. I wonder if it is indeed hard to fully utilise more cus as cerny said and if things like split ram bandwidth are bottlenecks?

So many xbox fans laughed and dismissed people like the crytek guy who has been vindicated.

Dilusional post. Hardly a PR disaster that one lame developer of a game nobody has heard of isn't optimized. More like GAF made up disaster. Try harder.

Last edited:

see the likenesses?
The likeness is a large segment of the Sony crowd around here are insane and or completely delusional, and I'm not saying that with any modicum of joking. The only way this relates to the PS3 is in the fact that developers (at least first party) were able to create some of the best looking games at the time with that monstrosity.

So for the people around here to think this isn't some kind of GDK related issue, and that MIcrosoft should just close up shop because it's over, and that this platform which is fathoms easier to build games for and around won't have its issues quelled; is complete insanity.

Shmunter

Love this game. Finished it on Pro when it came out. From memory it has unlocked framerate which was nowhere near perfect on there.

I imagine in BC mode, the PS4 version is rock 60fps for those that don’t want to pay for a remastered version.

ToadMan

see the likenesses?

Big difference. PS3 had great games so people were prepared to set aside its performance problems.

Even so the 360 competed hard with better hardware and strong exclusives itself but it still came second in sales.

Here we have a system which can’t demonstrate any power advantage in multiplats and has an exclusive deficit.

LxNJmEp.png

Last edited:
Ouch. You’ve got no hope for The Medium as well?

Seems like the Xbox fan base are just mad at the world and self harming now.
Bad games are just bad games regardless of platform. Same reason the Sony loyals aren't pumping up Godfall anymore. The Medium could be great or terrible, who cares? One game does not define a gen. Both platforms will have their Lair or The Order.

eNT1TY

I'm glad the Apology Brigade has been on stand-by this launch window to reassure us multiple times per thread any time this situation arises that everything will be ok and tuck us in. I can certainly sleep better knowing my xbox has such a dedicated rearguard. Unsung heroes!

sinnergy

Big difference. PS3 had great games so people were prepared to set aside its performance problems.

Even so the 360 competed hard with better hardware and strong exclusives itself but it still came second in sales.

Here we have a system which can’t demonstrate any power advantage in multiplats and has an exclusive deficit.

LxNJmEp.png
That’s not the point , Sony fans championed it as amazing with spes spus and what not , and in hindsight it was, it paved the way for parallel programming and execution ..

And it showed on screen but a bit later .. my point still stands ..

Series X with 52 CUs, and features not yet fully used in software , is not ?

Last edited:

ToadMan

That’s not the point , Sony fans championed it as amazing with spes spus and what not , and in hindsight it was, it paved the way for parallel programming and execution ..

And it showed on screen but a bit later .. my point still stands ..

Series X with 52 CUs, and features not yet fully used in software , is not ?

Xsex has a generic PC style build - it's not difficult to get that running well with existing techniques and tools. PS5 is the more exotic solution.

In that sense - PS5 is more like PS3 right now in terms of untapped potential.

Sorry man, there won't be any perceptible difference between Xsex and PS5 multiplats this gen. It's the hope that hurts - I understand.

It's why a lot of people took pains to point out there'd be no perceptible difference months ago, so that people wouldn't get disappointed and have things like the backlash against Bloober we're seeing in this thread.

ToadMan

Bad games are just bad games regardless of platform. Same reason the Sony loyals aren't pumping up Godfall anymore. The Medium could be great or terrible, who cares? One game does not define a gen. Both platforms will have their Lair or The Order.

This isn't about a single bad game - not that observer is that anyway. I'm not gonna say it's GOTY but equally it developed a nice atmosphere for an indie game.

MrFunSocks MrFunSocks and THE DUCK THE DUCK want to throw the whole studio under a bus because they don't like that Observer is running better on a different piece of hardware to the one they prefer.

They're not even giving The Medium a chance - which is bizarre since it is one and perhaps only game that won't come off worse in platform comparisons at launch lol.

Thank you Lord and Saviour Cerny for the master piece of a console we dont deserve:messenger_downcast_sweat:

My bet is that xbox get fucked up by OS&APIs that have to be compatible with PC world.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Damn, there are comparisons between PS5's version and XSX version but very bad quality. Only good for showing RT difference:

In the first example below, you’ll see a building reflecting in a puddle on the PS5 version. On Xbox Series X, all you can make out is the reflection of a light. In the second, you’ll see your character’s full outline reflected in a pane of glass on PS5. On Xbox Series X? Just a dark panel with a few reflected lights.

PS5

Observer-System-Redux-PS5-1-1.jpg

XSX

Observer-System-Redux-XSX-1.jpg

PS5

Observer-System-Redux-PS5-3-1.jpg

XSX

Observer-System-Redux-XSX-3.jpg

Delve into the video settings on the Xbox Series X version of Observer: System Redux and you’ll find that it has a 4K toggle. Turn it on and you’ll get sharper visuals at the expense of a smoother framerate. Imagine our surprise then, when we launched the PS5 version and found that it didn’t have the same 4K toggle. But it does have something else: a ray tracing toggle.

IBH.gif

Last edited:
This isn't about a single bad game - not that observer is that anyway. I'm not gonna say it's GOTY but equally it developed a nice atmosphere for an indie game.

MrFunSocks MrFunSocks and THE DUCK THE DUCK want to throw the whole studio under a bus because they don't like that Observer is running better on a different piece of hardware to the one they prefer.

They're not even giving The Medium a chance - which is bizarre since it is one and perhaps only game that won't come off worse in platform comparisons at launch lol.
Nah. Common sense would say that this is a developer issue when much more demanding games are already running on the XsX with RT. And The Medium isn't the only one that doesnt come off as worse. DMC favored the XsX in 3 of the 4 modes and AC basically rums the same between the two.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
While performance in both versions of the game can be a little shaky at times, what surprised us even more is that even with ray tracing enabled, the PS5 version of Observer: System Redux still performs better than its Xbox Series X counterpart. There are some parts of the apartment block where the Xbox Series X seriously struggles, ruining the immersion a little. It’s perhaps at its worst when you enter the basement.

tenor.gif

ABnormal

Mmm, I would wait for the analysis of some known guy. The results here are really strange. The chance of BS is real.

Rien

Jelly Belly
That has nothing to do with anything, the hardware is there, an abundance of it, and RT hardware is on board, and more of it, so if it's absent it's because of some kind developmental issue and entirely tied to software.

This isn't even a question at this point.

Agree with you in this one. This is a bit odd

LivingD3AD

While performance in both versions of the game can be a little shaky at times, what surprised us even more is that even with ray tracing enabled, the PS5 version of Observer: System Redux still performs better than its Xbox Series X counterpart. There are some parts of the apartment block where the Xbox Series X seriously struggles, ruining the immersion a little. It’s perhaps at its worst when you enter the basement.

tenor.gif
What’s so funny is that Bloober Team has been working for the past 3-4 years on an exclusive for series x called The Medium! :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
what surprised us even more is that even with ray tracing enabled, the PS5 version of Observer: System Redux still performs better than its Xbox Series X counterpart. There are some parts of the apartment block where the Xbox Series X seriously struggles, ruining the immersion a little. It’s perhaps at its worst when you enter the basement.

PS5

Observer-System-Redux-PS5-3-1.jpg

XSX

Observer-System-Redux-XSX-3.jpg

4mooj1.jpg

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I don't own either of the new consoles. Currently I've just got a PS4 Pro. It's really telling that you immediately go to this accusation, why should I need to explain what consoles I have to you? How is it relevant to my point?

Don't make the mistake of assuming that everyone is a tedious fanboy.

I'm a gamer. This shit is embarrassing, the obsessive nature of it.
Hear hear.

Allandor

This seems to underline the rumors, that MS still has problems (or at least had problems) with the SDK. E.g. the raytracing api was not ready etc.
They must really get their software part together. Everything seems to be to complex for MS these days to handle. Banana-software everywhere. Or they should just plan to finish their sdk half a year before launch, so they have it ready for the launch.

ToadMan

Nah. Common sense would say that this is a developer issue when much more demanding games are already running on the XsX with RT. And The Medium isn't the only one that doesnt come off as worse. DMC favored the XsX in 3 of the 4 modes and AC basically rums the same between the two.

DMC runs identically on both - you’re talking about differences which are imperceptible during intended use.

The same for ACV and COD:CW.

It’ll be the same for this.

No one will notice any difference even when running side by side. Trying to call it a “win” for either console is just warring.

And throwing bloober under the bus for console war point scoring is infantile.

Cerny on clocks vs FLOPS : Performance is noticeably different, because 'teraflops' is defined as the computational capability of the vector ALU. That's just one part of the GPU, there are a lot of other units - and those other units all run faster when the GPU frequency is higher. At 33 per cent higher frequency, rasterisation goes 33 per cent faster, processing the command buffer goes that much faster, the L1 and L2 caches have that much higher bandwidth, and so on.. A raising tide lifts all boats, it’s easier to utilize 36 CUs in parallel than it’s to fully use 48 CU’s- when triangles are small, it’s much harder to fill all those CUs with useful work.
Did you notice that Cerny didn't give any benchmarks to show how higher clocks with lower Cu's is better?
Digital Foundry actually went and did the testing to get the benchmarks, and those benchmarks showed a performance advantage with a lower clock and more Cu's.

regawdless

Banned
Given how extremely close in performance these consoles are to each other, this big difference is all kinds of weird. Is there any answer or explanation from the devs?

Vae_Victis

Banned
"XSX is so much better than PS5, this one was just a fluke, you will see next time!"

*Another game comes out, is identical or worse on XSX

"Nah, it's just a shit port, it's a shit game, they are a shit developer anyway."

la-volpe-e-luva-fedro-1.jpg

Won't you people stop behaving like literal walking parodies? And of course I don't mean all Xbox fans, you know who you fucking are.

CAB_Life

I realize that many of you are having fun taking the piss, but we did hear about problems with Xbox tools months prior to launch, and Sony was said to have been leagues ahead with their kits. Didn’t someone from DF actually confirm this via Twitter, too? Maybe just calm down a bit and see how this shakes out after the initial launch period. We’re not looking at huge deltas in performance or resolution, either, we’re talking about a few frames here and there on about 4 games at this point (one of which, DMC, was titled in XSX’s favour).

The talk about XSX/S development tools being far behind Sony's was out there way before these initial results have come in.

Let's be honest here, Sony has really, really, really good development kits and tools.
Time to triangle has been a big push by Cerny, both last gen and next gen. I guess Sony got so burnt with the PS3 and Cell being so hard to program, that they went all out to never let that happen again.
It may also be one of the reasons they stuck with a 36CU GPU. Off the top of my head, the time to triangle on PS5 is even less than the PS4 was.
All the talk coming from Devs was about how easy the development environment was for the PS5 was also out before iinitial game comparisons went out.
Sony nailed that for launch. Good work boys.

Last edited:
I realize that many of you are having fun taking the piss, but we did hear about problems with Xbox tools months prior to launch, and Sony was said to have been leagues ahead with their kits. Didn’t someone from DF actually confirm this via Twitter, too? Maybe just calm down a bit and see how this shakes out after the initial launch period. We’re not looking at huge deltas in performance or resolution, either, we’re talking about a few frames here and there on about 4 games at this point (one of which, DMC, was titled in XSX’s favour).
Launch period is when a narrative is set for generation and many xbox fans called xbox api issues FUD 2 weeks ago. So why the change of heart ?? 👀😅

killatopak

Gold Member
I don’t doubt there could have been problems with the dev kits but Dirt 5 devs directly contradicts this. I dunno, this seems more like the devs here prioritized the PS5 version because it was a lot easier and they were just caught up by the deadline. They did mention RT coming in a patch.

acm2000

and people still dont believe MS are behind with their dev tools? theyve had just as long as Sony so theres no excuses, but its clear as day that especially the dx12u raytracing side of things is behind schedule.

Top Bottom