• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Observer: System Redux is Simply Better on PS5 Than Xbox Series X

We even had a brilliant demo of Unreal Engine 5 that was said to be only possible on PS5. But since that didn’t fit the narrative everyone said it was a paid promotion and therefore lies.

The truth has been in front of our faces forever but some don’t want to admit it.
I think it was the $200+ million check Sony wrote shorty after that gave that impression more than narrative.

giphy.gif

Both consoles are using gpus from Amd. No amount of special sauce can make the PS5 stronger than Series X. Tools and resolutions are whats left as explanations here.
Whatever it is the proof is in the pudding . Games always do the talking .not specs written on a piece of paper . Hope they can sort tools out before pros come out

geordiemp

The Xbox version of some game most have never heard of and will never play and isn’t a big budget game doesn’t even have ray tracing and runs worse than the PS5 version with ray tracing?

This is a dev problem 100%. Sounds like the Xbox version was a minimal effort port thrown together hastily.

SonyGAF gonna draw allllllll the conclusions from this though.

This thread going on ignore because it will be a who’s who of Sony and Craig avatars beating their chests (and something else haha)

Da da da da da , oooohhhhh, ooo hhhhh, its Fun socks

Last edited:
The Xbox version of some game most have never heard of and will never play and isn’t a big budget game doesn’t even have ray tracing and runs worse than the PS5 version with ray tracing?

This is a dev problem 100%. Sounds like the Xbox version was a minimal effort port thrown together hastily.

This thread going on ignore because it will be a who’s who of Sony and Craig avatars beating their chests (and something else haha)
You do realize the developer of Observer is the same developer making The Medium which is an Xbox exclusive, right? You actually assume the same developer making an Xbox exclusive is also somehow purposely throwing together a bad port on Series X/S? Don't pull a hamstring with those mental gymnastics.

Duchess

Did we ever get the final say on what the PS5's GPU is? Is it pure RDNA 2, or did Sony take RDNA 2 as the base and make a load of tweaks?

There was something a long while back about how AMD and Sony collaborated on the PS5's GPU, with AMD planning on using the tech as the basis for RDNA 3?

Did we ever get the final say on what the PS5's GPU is? Is it pure RDNA 2, or did Sony take RDNA 2 as the base and make a load of tweaks?

There was something a long while back about how AMD and Sony collaborated on the PS5's GPU, with AMD planning on using the tech as the basis for RDNA 3?
Apparently, and this isn't confirmed but highly likely. The reason Sony doesn't have a fully featured RDNA 2 GPU is because instead of waiting for AMD to finish they took what was available, and then kind of went their own way building the remainder of the feature sets themselves under proprietary methods.

This allowed them to get their devkits out sooner, their tools, developers to get more in tune and comfortable with developing for it. On the Microsoft side it appears they waited until AMD's hardware was entirely done, which like the opposite of Sony explains the reported late arrival of devkits, spec targeted PC's being used and as you can see now software which appears to be having some issues.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Apparently, and this isn't confirmed but highly likely. The reason Sony doesn't have a fully featured RDNA 2 GPU is because instead of waiting for AMD to finish they took what was available, and then kind of went their own way building the remainder of the feature sets themselves under proprietary methods.

This allowed them to get their devkits out sooner, their tools, developers to get more in tune and comfortable with developing for it. On the Microsoft side it appears they waited until AMD's hardware was entirely done, which like the opposite of Sony explains the reported late arrival of devkits, spec targeted PC's being used and as you can see now software which appears to be having some issues.
tenor.gif

geordiemp

Nope. wrong again.

XSX silicon was finished before ps5 silicon.

PS5's GPU is full RDNA2 with their own tweaks. The whole RDNA3 thing is probably to do with PS5's geometry engine. Basically, it's capable of doing all the things Xbox fanboys say it doesn't. But what makes it special is its full programmability while also being able to do all the things Xbox fanboys say it can't do even before it hits the graphics pipeline. All the culling! All of it!

This is fantasy stuff. You don't 'wait' until AMD's hardware is 'entirely done' what the hell are you going on about? The features of AMD's system and APU were locked in an age ago. You think MS waited a couple months more so they could get all the RDNA2 features in the Xbox but Sony didn't wait. But then they both released at the same time....so makes no sense whatsoever.

Azurro

Banned

Conspiracy theories have suddenly become very popular amongst the Xbox fanboys polluting the forum these last few months. ;)

assurdum

Banned
Is not what that article say...i mean..the article that the journalist asked to Spencer an opinion
Ok. But temper expectations on raytracing on pc? I don't follow him . Raytracing is quite phenomal on it from a couple of years.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
If multiplats aren't going to be running as well on the Series X, then I'll just have to regulate it as the GamePass machine and buy everything on the PS5. The Series X would be a great GamePass machine.

I'm not surprised though as we keep hearing rumblings that the xbox is not as easy to develop for as the playstation.

You do realize the developer of Observer is the same developer making The Medium which is an Xbox exclusive, right? You actually assume the same developer making an Xbox exclusive is also somehow purposely throwing together a bad port on Series X/S? Don't pull a hamstring with those mental gymnastics.
Nah he doesn't realize it. Told you guys he is a clown. He brings the comedy. Just laugh at his posts and move on.

geordiemp

Last edited:
PS5's GPU is full RDNA2 with their own tweaks. The whole RDNA3 thing is probably to do with PS5's geometry engine. Basically, it's capable of doing all the things Xbox fanboys say it doesn't. But what makes it special is its full programmability while also being able to do all the things Xbox fanboys say it can't do even before it hits the graphics pipeline. All the culling! All of it!

Yes and the RT hardware acceleration is meant to be slightly different too, according to rumours., between the two.

Self

Being serious now, MS don't seem to be too interested in RT aside from Minecraft,

They are serious about it. Gears of War is the first RT console game when I remember correctly. Halo infinite was supposed to be a RT flagship. It's just that Sony superseded them. To be fair: DMC RT modes do run better on XSX.

This is fantasy stuff. You don't 'wait' until AMD's hardware is 'entirely done' what the hell are you going on about? The features of AMD's system and APU were locked in an age ago. You think MS waited a couple months more so they could get all the RDNA2 features in the Xbox but Sony didn't wait. But then they both released at the same time....so makes no sense whatsoever.
It makes perfect sense, it's the same logic that led to the Xbox One X.

What actually makes sense, and what you think does or does not make sense is entirely different.

Did I talk to you on the Bus, if so I would like to apologise I have been on some strong medication.

Rubik8

I know console warriors want to war, but can we give it a rest? The constant one-upping each other over minimal differences is not helping anything.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
How twisted, the PS5 pushed DMC runs better on Xbox, the Xbox pushed Assassins Creed runs better on PS5 and now we got this.

Yeah, I think waiting for a year was the right decision after all. There is no need to upgrade right now.

Azurro

Banned
It makes perfect sense, it's the same logic that led to the Xbox One X.

What actually makes sense, and what you think does or does not make sense is entirely different.

Man, I know this is a process for you, as it was with Halo, but that's literally not what happened, the XSX chip was ready sooner than Sony's, read the quote below:

You just make stuff up, all the time.

Ps5 was after XSX. Facts.

https://www.pttweb.cc/bbs/PC_Shopping/M.1590679194.A.F5B

Taiwanese Aquariuszi:

PS5 did start much earlier, but the final chip revision started H2 2019.

XSX started the chip verification in H1 2019 and finished in H2 2019.

Last edited:

Zadom

I am blown away by the fact that Spiderman runs at native 4k 30 fps with ray traced reflections EVERYWHERE. massive tall skyscrapers. Check. Small grocery stores. Check. Spiderman's Suit. Check. Puddles. Check. Random cars and vans reflecting everything.... like wtf.

And it does that while looking almost a gen ahead of watch dogs and it runs at more than double the resolution. Like how?
I can not stress enough how I love the way Sony promoted the PS5. Maybe they did and I’m blind to it but, no salesmen hype. Cerny was subdued in his presentation but confident. It may not quite build the hype before the launch, but man, once the system is launched and performs like it does, that is cool.

Can I preorder the PS6 already? I am sold.

Top Bottom