• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Trump Used Legally Dubious Method to Avoid Paying Taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Why didn't you do anything?

Why didn't she say this?
She didn't? I remember her saying she voted to close one of his loopholes in the thirdsecond debate.

Clinton: Well, everything you’ve heard from Donald is not true. I'm sorry I have to keep saying this, but he lives in an alternative reality. And it is sort of amusing to hear somebody who hasn't paid federal income taxes in maybe 20 years talking about what he’s going to do, but I’ll tell you what he’s going to do. His plan will give the wealthy and corporations the biggest tax cuts they have ever had. More than the Bush tax cuts by at least a factor of two. Donald always takes care of Donald and people like Donald. And this would be a massive gift. And indeed the way that he talks about his tax cuts would end up raising taxes on middle class families. Millions of middle class families. Now, here's what I want to do. I have said nobody who makes less than $250,000 a year and that's the vast majority of Americans, as you know will have their taxes raised. Because I think we have got to go where the money is and the money is with people who have taken advantage of every single break in the tax code. And yes, when I was a senator, I did vote to close corporate loopholes. I voted to close, I think, one of the loopholes he took advantage of when he claimed a billion dollar loss that enabled him to avoid paying taxes. I want to have a tax on people who are making a million dollars, it's called the Buffett rule. Yes, Warren Buffett is the one who’s gone out and said somebody like him should not be paying a lower tax rate than his secretary. I wanna have a surcharge on incomes above 5 million. We have to make up for lost times, because I want to invest in you, I want to invest in hard working families. And I think it has been unfortunate, but it's happened, that since the great recession, the gains have all gone to the top. And we need to reverse that. People like Donald who paid zero in taxes, zero for our vets, zero for our military, zero for health and education. That is wrong. And we’re going to make sure that nobody, no corporation and no individual can get away without paying his fair share to support our country.

old

It is impossible to know for sure because Mr. Trump has declined to release his tax returns, or even a summary of his returns, breaking a practice followed by every Republican and Democratic presidential candidate for more than four decades.

A bit misleading. Tax returns have only been private for four decades. They were made private after Watergate on the belief that Nixon used information from public tax returns to go after political enemies.

We, the public, have had access to our candidates' tax returns for far longer than just four decades.

Fades

Banned
"Okay, but...you, the Joker, have harmed hundreds, maybe thousands of people during your time as villain. Why should we vote you as mayor of Gotham City over the Batman?"

"Yeah, but Batman could have stopped me from hurting those people. Did he??"

"Oh shit you got us there. When do we swear you into office?"

Call me pessimistic, but I don't think this will do a damn thing. Only video evidence of him walking in on teens or something would do damage to that clown.

tuxfool

Banned
Call me pessimistic, but I don't think this will do a damn thing. Only video evidence of him walking in on teens or something would do damage to that clown.

That isn't the purpose for reporting the news. It is something worth knowing, especially in an area where the candidate is being deliberately opaque.

Kibbles

PhoncipleBone said:
It is only Monday, and between this, the Trump email/document destruction, and then possible Russian ties being reported in a single day, I feel this week will not be kind to him.

Let it burn.
But athe NYT already debunked the Russian tires thought

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Take the L, concern trolling, what is next? I assume some are furiously going through my post history to try and clutch at any support for Trump. I'm guessing the realisation that my feelings about Trump shoot that down that is why we just have to revert to things like we have.

Lets leave at at that. Unfortunately for those who seriously disliked what I had to say I'll continue to be incredibly dismissive, object to and mock government and government officials feigning concern about tax avoidance when they all have so much invested in keeping corporations happy if they aren't actively engaged in tax avoidance themselves (Trump). The elite and the rich do not play by the same rules as we do and that is the real problem here, and it has been for ages whilst governments tell us they'll sort it out.

Um, no - you're making comments with absolutely no knowledge of how government actually works and those comments don't make sense.

tuxfool

Banned
Ok? Not sure I indicted otherwise.

You only mentioned its effect on the voting public. Ideally, such piece are meant to inform, the voter then independently makes his mind up based on volume of information. People have gotten used to this idea that any piece of information has to land with a punch to swing opinion in a direction, possibly rightfully because the voting public is dumb as fuck. However that isn't the primary objective of such pieces.

You only mentioned its effect on the voting public. Ideally, such piece are meant to inform, the voter then independently makes his mind up based on volume of information. People have gotten used to this idea that any piece of information has to land with a punch to swing opinion in a direction, possibly rightfully because the voting public is dumb as fuck. However that isn't the primary objective of such pieces.

I can mention whatever aspect of the fucking news I want to. News is meant to inform and lead to discussion. I'm reacting to the expectation that this matters to voters. I do not believe it does.

Does that require you to put on your captain obvious cape anytime someone doesn't discuss the news in the way you have deemed it to be discussed?

Audioboxer

Um, no - you're making comments with absolutely no knowledge of how government actually works and those comments don't make sense.

I'll admit it wasn't my finest attempt at debating, and I did get my jimmies rustled by individuals throwing rhetoric at me just to get a reaction (which they did as I bit back). However I stand by my overal emotional response to government and tax avoidance. Career politicians don't give a flying fuck as they aren't going to shit where they eat and chase behmoths like Apple, Google, MS, Starbucks, and so forth. I'm not saying they all don't do anything, but closing ONE tax loophole in a sea where there's about a million more isn't some masterclass win for society.

Being outraged at Donald Trump because he does what all the rich elite do is as I said, to miss the sea behind him with your blinkers on because your hate for Trump, which is normal as the guy is a hack, has you so desperate not to allow Hillary in any way get caught up in any criticism. Sorry. Every single member of the government, in all parties, all should have found a way to sort this well before now. Instead big business has been given so much influence and power no politician or even party want to commit career suicide by actually making their buddies in the above large companies and more play their taxes as clear cut as WE do. I don't get to avoid paying tax on my wage because the tax gets taken off my wage before it even enters my bank account. I don't get to avoid inheritance tax, I don't get to avoid tax on my house sale (setting up companies abroad to buy property rather than you as a person buying it), and so on.

I would say all of this about Hillary even if Trump wasn't born. I say it about all politicians in developed countries pandering to business and getting in on it themselves (personal tax avoidance). It is legal. No outrage makes it illegal. That is precisely the problem. America also has the added factor of the stupid and obscene amount of money wasted and "donated" during election cycles. It's a sad state of affairs and someone telling me to take the L is not going to change my thoughts on this.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
She didn't? I remember her saying she voted to close one of his loopholes in the thirdsecond debate.

Clinton: Well, everything you’ve heard from Donald is not true. I'm sorry I have to keep saying this, but he lives in an alternative reality. And it is sort of amusing to hear somebody who hasn't paid federal income taxes in maybe 20 years talking about what he’s going to do, but I’ll tell you what he’s going to do. His plan will give the wealthy and corporations the biggest tax cuts they have ever had. More than the Bush tax cuts by at least a factor of two. Donald always takes care of Donald and people like Donald. And this would be a massive gift. And indeed the way that he talks about his tax cuts would end up raising taxes on middle class families. Millions of middle class families. Now, here's what I want to do. I have said nobody who makes less than $250,000 a year and that's the vast majority of Americans, as you know will have their taxes raised. Because I think we have got to go where the money is and the money is with people who have taken advantage of every single break in the tax code. And yes, when I was a senator, I did vote to close corporate loopholes. I voted to close, I think, one of the loopholes he took advantage of when he claimed a billion dollar loss that enabled him to avoid paying taxes. I want to have a tax on people who are making a million dollars, it's called the Buffett rule. Yes, Warren Buffett is the one who’s gone out and said somebody like him should not be paying a lower tax rate than his secretary. I wanna have a surcharge on incomes above 5 million. We have to make up for lost times, because I want to invest in you, I want to invest in hard working families. And I think it has been unfortunate, but it's happened, that since the great recession, the gains have all gone to the top. And we need to reverse that. People like Donald who paid zero in taxes, zero for our vets, zero for our military, zero for health and education. That is wrong. And we’re going to make sure that nobody, no corporation and no individual can get away without paying his fair share to support our country.
Very articulate and informative, as should be expected from a presidential candidate.

It's amusing but sad how Clinton said more in 30 seconds than Trump has in his entire campaign. Trump talks a lot but he never actually says anything.

After how long? And good luck with this somehow meaning drastic change that stops all tax avoidance. I've lived under the UK government rattling on for years about clamping down on corporate tax avoidance and supposed bills they've put in place to get companies like Amazon who pay 5% of what they're actually suppose to.

Trump took advantage of this "loophole" in 1990, while Hillary Clinton was first lady of Arkansas. What exactly do you think she could have done that would have prevented his actions?

Where's the mumbo jumbo? He legally avoided paying a subset of taxes or IRS and DOJ officials were complicit in looking the other way on yet another wave of blatant felonies by a white collar criminal because no one had the integrity to a make referral and put a stop to a real estate dev like Don.

But athe NYT already debunked the Russian tires thought

Not really. They just put out an article saying that the FBI has not yet formally concluded what everyone already knows.

For reference, it claims that Russia definitely HAS been fucking with our election, but says it's not to help Trump but just to undermine our democracy, which makes no sense considering they never did this to the GOP primaries and are literally only hacking the Democrats while even the establishment conservatives are not being targeted by hacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom