• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT Op-Ed: "The End of Meat is Here"

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Despite this grisly reality — and the widely reported effects of the factory-farm industry on America’s lands, communities, animals and human health long before this pandemic hit — only around half of Americans say they are trying to reduce their meat consumption. Meat is embedded in our culture and personal histories in ways that matter too much, from the Thanksgiving turkey to the ballpark hot dog. Meat comes with uniquely wonderful smells and tastes, with satisfactions that can almost feel like home itself. And what, if not the feeling of home, is essential?

And yet, an increasing number of people sense the inevitability of impending change.
Animal agriculture is now recognized as a leading cause of global warming. According to The Economist, a quarter of Americans between the ages of 25 and 34 say they are vegetarians or vegans, which is perhaps one reason sales of plant-based “meats” have skyrocketed, with Impossible and Beyond Burgers available everywhere from Whole Foods to White Castle.

We cannot protect our environment while continuing to eat meat regularly. This is not a refutable perspective, but a banal truism. Whether they become Whoppers or boutique grass-fed steaks, cows produce an enormous amount of greenhouse gas. If cows were a country, they would be the third-largest greenhouse gas emitter in the world.

Don’t we need animal protein? No.

We can live longer, healthier lives without it. Most American adults eat roughly twice the recommended intake of protein — including vegetarians, who consume 70 percent more than they need. People who eat diets high in animal protein are more likely to die of heart disease, diabetes and kidney failure. Of course, meat, like cake, can be part of a healthy diet. But no sound nutritionist would recommend eating cake too often.

More at the link.

And before anyone accuses me of being a vegan/vegetarian--I'm not nor will I ever be. I'm posting this because I am genuinely curious if others see the transition to a meatless society as the author of the article.

Ehhhh. I won’t argue that perhaps methods of farming and mass packaging meats have room to improve, and personally I’ve limited my meat consumption to one serving a day (with my second of four daily small meals), but I don’t think The End is here for meat products. Industries adapt and evolve, sciences always come out with something that either glorifies or demonizes something. I believe that in proportion, sensible meat consumption with regular exercise is healthy for most people, but everyone is different.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The author is simply incorrect when it comes to the value of cattle, greenhouse emissions, and carbon sequestration. Millions of animals larger than cows grazed the plains for tens of thousands of years before European settlers showed up. Cattle can be used to sequester carbon and to do it quite well.

The elites are always trying to tell people what they can or cannot eat, and they're so adamant about it that they'll lie and ignore the potential for meat to accomplish the very same carbon emission reduction that they're asking for.

mortal

Gold Member
If you care about the working poor, about racial justice, and about climate change, you have to stop eating animals.
471.jpg

lachesis

Well, isn't shrimp sorta like a bug in sea? ;)

To be honest, I would eat bugs if it's raised in cleanest environment and processed enough that it doesn't look like an insect, say - a protein tablet - I would eat it as a supplementary thing.

But that's way----------- down my priority. WAY below SPAM or cheap sausages/wieners :) I choose SPAM over bugs any day, any time, anywhere!

1. I eat meat.
2. I would adapt and not really mind if meat went away.
3. Meat isn't going away.

Nobody can kill the bbq, man.

This is pretty much where I am at. Synthetic meat has a long way to go before replacing the real deal but I could imagine a future where it might be possible. There needs to be a viable meat substitute though before you can even really talk about this because most people just aint going to switch to Impossible burgers (nor should they since they are apparently terrible for you)

Of course this dude loves soy

images

This is the picture that comes up when you look up "soy" in the dictionary.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The investors behind Beyond Meat and Incredible Meat continue with their campaign.
I see the end of meat because the people with money will make more by selling you the green gob they are trying to pass as meat, not because of anything else.

Last edited:

kingbean

I kinda wish I could be a frugivore and just sustain off of planet protein and minimal animal protein, but goddamn if a burger isn't the best thing.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I’m fine with going free from animal protein, as soon as lab grown meat tastes as good and doesn’t bankrupt me.

In the mean time, I’ll take my meat rare

Co-worker of mine went Keto and lost 75 lbs. I am a bread whore. How can I be converted to Keto. What did you do mentally? Help me sempai.

I'd say just go cold turkey if possible. Eat up your food at home and replace it with keto-friendly foods as you go until it is all you have. Once you drop the carbs you will lose cravings for them in a week or two. You should never feel hungry if you eat meat and fibrous veggies and nuts - all of that is bulky, filling food.

Airola

If production of meat gets too small, people will eventually start to kill animals by themselves more.

Wouldn't probably be a bad thing as people would finally face reality again and idealistic nonsense would slowly fade away.

Riven326

Banned
im not so in love with food that I couldnt change on a dime if needed. plus my favorite foods are pasta and seafood anyway. Shrimp and lobsters are basically bugs anyway.
How dare you! Go eat a bug right now and tell me it tastes like shrimp or lobster. The fucking nerve.

Top Bottom