• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYMag: The Uninhabitable Earth - Famine and economic collapse sooner than you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

daffyduck

I feel that there is a lot of benefit in making people fear something they themselves can have very little effect on.
It welcomes in more control over our lives and those with resources profit and prosper greatly.
Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

StormCell

they should be starting now. it took em 30 years to build WEBB. another 30 and we might already be passed point of no return.
You see just how fucked up things are. We can't even reach an international agreement on whether it's okay to shade the earth, and then they expect the remaining 99.9% of the population to agree on a consensus of climate catastrophe when they're not making any visible sacrifices of their own. They have a list of a thousand things they would like to the entire population of the world, minus themselves of course, to do in order to bring about some meaningful change. Fossil fuels are becoming more scarce and more expensive, so push everyone else out of using them. Common farming practices are basically leading to food scarcity, so again push everyone else out of eating meat and veggies and serve them bugs. People living in low-lying coastal areas are being flooded out of their homes, so give them yours and mine and tell us to split it fairly while these others continue living in their thousand acre compounds.

Some of these elites, I'm convinced, their plans only thrive if they can market fear and disasters to the rest of us. These things are happening, sure, but there have always been solutions that we can pursue that don't require hitting the fucking reset button on our entire society and civilization. I'm convinced some people think that's exactly what we have to do, and I'm not about to live a dystopian tribal lifestyle eating bugs and sleeping in tents so that 0.1% can continue on flying their private jets and helicopters living in semi-secretive compounds that are basically bastions of futuristic technology while the rest of us are rolling around in the mud thankful for cricket nuggets to rain down from the good lords up above. :LOL:

Blade2.0

You see just how fucked up things are. We can't even reach an international agreement on whether it's okay to shade the earth, and then they expect the remaining 99.9% of the population to agree on a consensus of climate catastrophe when they're not making any visible sacrifices of their own. They have a list of a thousand things they would like to the entire population of the world, minus themselves of course, to do in order to bring about some meaningful change. Fossil fuels are becoming more scarce and more expensive, so push everyone else out of using them. Common farming practices are basically leading to food scarcity, so again push everyone else out of eating meat and veggies and serve them bugs. People living in low-lying coastal areas are being flooded out of their homes, so give them yours and mine and tell us to split it fairly while these others continue living in their thousand acre compounds.

Some of these elites, I'm convinced, their plans only thrive if they can market fear and disasters to the rest of us. These things are happening, sure, but there have always been solutions that we can pursue that don't require hitting the fucking reset button on our entire society and civilization. I'm convinced some people think that's exactly what we have to do, and I'm not about to live a dystopian tribal lifestyle eating bugs and sleeping in tents so that 0.1% can continue on flying their private jets and helicopters living in semi-secretive compounds that are basically bastions of futuristic technology while the rest of us are rolling around in the mud thankful for cricket nuggets to rain down from the good lords up above. :LOL:
Sure, but i kinda still want the cricket nuggs.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Yall realize the worlds population is about to collapse because most countries are not producing enough children to replace the aging baby boomers right? Pretty much every country other than the US is doomed to fail in the next 20 years because of population decline and economic collapse. US boomers actually had a bunch of children so it will sort of survive in some hellish dystopian version, but millennials aren't having children so we are just kicking the can down the road. We will never see the pre-covid good times again. Its already over.

China is the first to be fucked because of their "one child policy", it will be worse than Venezuela. Climate change wont have time to kill us, food shortages and societal collapse will get us long before that. Which will likely stop climate change in the long run...lol.

Last edited:

Billbofet

To your point, Bill Gates is the largest private owner of farmland in North America - 270,000 acres. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Think he did pretty ($$$$) well on the COVID vaccines too.

Dude is a fucking Bond villain and almost nobody sees it.

StormCell

Think we can safely stick that in the theoretical section…
And then what? Do we sit back and allow the powers that be to bring all their predictions to fruition so that they can legislate solutions to act as band-aids on the wounds? We've got loads of theoretical solutions that are being tested, so what does it take to get some thousand-mile bubbles into space? We can launch 30,000 Starlink satellites but can't get some f'ing 3D printable bubbles that expand to 1,000 miles out to space? It's not like we're talking about an unreasonably expensive endeavor -- it's about priorities.

We don't seem to want to maintain what we've got badly enough. The powers that be want to lecture us out of automobiles, meat eating, and having houses with yards. Let it sink in.

Blade2.0

Yall realize the worlds population is about to collapse because most countries are not producing enough children to replace the aging baby boomers right? Pretty much every country other than the US is doomed to fail in the next 20 years because of population decline and economic collapse. US boomers actually had a bunch of children so it will sort of survive in some hellish dystopian version, but millennials aren't having children so we are just kicking the can down the road. We will never see the pre-covid good times again. Its already over.

China is the first to be fucked because of their "one child policy", it will be worse than Venezuela. Climate change wont have time to kill us, food shortages and societal collapse will get us long before that. Which will likely stop climate change in the long run...lol.
i mean, if we stopped running society based on the notion of everlasting growth (which is impossible in a finite reality) then we'd be fine. But people dont want to give up Capitalism, so here we are. produce until death!

Hari Seldon

I used to care about the climate but I give no fucks now. Not when we accidentally stumbled upon a solution and it was immediately discarded by the elites. The solution is: stay the fuck home if you don't need to physically be at the office. Every commuting person supports this, but it was discarded because apparently it is too easy and therefore not a poltiical tool to beat the other side with. And of course powerful people might lose a little bit of money if they can't rent office buildings. Fuck it all at this point.

Blade2.0

I used to care about the climate but I give no fucks now. Not when we accidentally stumbled upon a solution and it was immediately discarded by the elites. The solution is: stay the fuck home if you don't need to physically be at the office. Every commuting person supports this, but it was discarded because apparently it is too easy and therefore not a poltiical tool to beat the other side with. And of course powerful people might lose a little bit of money if they can't rent office buildings. Fuck it all at this point.
And could kill two birds with one stone by turning old office buildings into affordable livable housing...but nope, got to have a place to work and sleep. can't be both combined.

StormCell

Keep on hitting the nail on the head, buddy. When people wake up and realize this shit, it's going to be too late in terms of the legislation already signed into law. We've got a chance and had it for 2 years now to cut down on automobile traffic and therefore emissions, and the very people telling us to buy EVs and eat bugs want to drag our asses back into offices. WTF????

StormCell

i mean, if we stopped running society based on the notion of everlasting growth (which is impossible in a finite reality) then we'd be fine. But people dont want to give up Capitalism, so here we are. produce until death!
It's not capitalism that is so much to blame as it is the idea that all these big rich entities ought to be rolling in profits all the time. It's like there's no positivity around a company just paying the bills and being afloat. And that's the problem with the Walmart versus the small town stores: Walmart has to be rolling in massive profits or it gets devalued while Billy Bob's grocery and Jimmy Joe's Odds and Ends were just happy to stay afloat year after year while making all kinds of products available for purchase to their friends and families.

It's not like we can't survive in a stagnant economy. People simply need to adjust their expectations and maybe invest more in actually useful objects and less into virtual, non-solid potentially good things like stocks. There was a time when it honestly made more economical sense to invest in Billy Bob's grocery and become a part owner in the company than it did to dump your money into the stock exchange for pretend slips of paper that made you a partial owner of some business somewhere.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I feel that there is a lot of benefit in making people fear something they themselves can have very little effect on.
It welcomes in more control over our lives and those with resources profit and prosper greatly.
That's a cancelin'

GeekyDad

This article is rubbish and the people who agree are fools. It is the same sort of myopic, psychological self-loathing that humans are infamous for. The same linear-thinking that brought us The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894, bring us Global Warming today. Or Climate Change or whatever en vogue horseshit you're selling today.

Is the world warming? Sure? Humans fault? Maybe. Does 2deg over the next century mean we should invest and slow our GDP today? Fuck No! Just like how a bunch of intellectuals in 1894 gathers to discuss the 'fact' that London and NYC will be "In 50 years, every street in London will be buried under nine feet of manure" -- and within 20 years the horse basically vanished and was replaced wholesale by the automobile. Problem solved by engineering. Trying to extrapolate the future given a model of warming and a linear understanding of technological gains is just foolish -- there is Knightian uncertainty looming large. It's like asking someone in 1900 to predict today, they don't even really understand atomic structure and you expect them to understand ASICs and microchips and the internet or MRIs or Tesla and SpaceX and any number of things, large or small that we now have? It's ridiculous.

As Elon Musk, myself and the poster below note, there are tons of engineering solutions that will solve this problem at a fraction of the cost and without all the bullshit theatrics of this thread. Freeman Dyson talked about the number of trees necessary and the potential for genetically engineering them to enhance carbon capture. There are many solutions by clever people -- the types of which the climate fearful are not.

I predict this article will age about as well as this one:

WinmMf0.jpg

Or this Time article from 1974: https://web.archive.org/web/2006110...m/time/magazine/article/0,9171,944914,00.html

Hell there are people running around here saying:

I mean this is ridiculous.

No, you're one of the only sound people in this thread.

Frightening article. But at the same time it says there is no solution, we are doomed, so why to worry about something you don't have any control? I think that if you explain the problem but at the same time you say there is no solution (space ships or whatever are not a solution for regular people), people will continue with their lives and do nothing, because nothing can be done. The thing is, what do they want regular people do with this information?
In all seriousness, I would guess fright and other reactions are nature's (God, however one interprets) way of sending us into action to, as the above poster also stated, utilize realistic solutions. Essentially telling humankind, okay children, lunch break's over; time to get back to work.

TylerD

Last edited:

StormCell

If true, in the US he owns a whopping 0.0301% of the 896,000,000 acres of farm land - https://www.statista.com/statistics/196104/total-area-of-land-in-farms-in-the-us-since-2000/
I don't think that Bill Gates owning the farm land is all that bad. You must consider the potential alternative of Chinese corporations buying and owning land in the US, especially and potentially near our military bases. There's already a case of this happening or trying to happen where there's an outcry from locals that a Chinese business is looking to acquire farm land that's for sale but it's in the vicinity of an air force base. Of course, the farmer looking to sell argues that his land isn't even close to the base and there's not even any line of sight with the base. Of course, he has a vested interest to sell off the land to anyone who will pay top dollar for it...

This is a thing that we run into. Personally, I would not let even one acre of American soil slip into the hands of foreign interests. I might let them use some land but with the caveat that any American citizen can waltz into any part of it at any time. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom