• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer's Dirt 5 comparison: PS5 x XSX

I agree, not high end, but you could get away with saying it's superior to 95% of gaming PCs out there.
I agree. And I don't care. I honestly don't care what others are using to play their games. I simply want the best experience for myself.

PC gamers have an irrational fear of consoles being compared to rigs. The very thought that consoles are even in the same ballpark as the latest cards, pisses them off.

Console gamers are getting a high end, PC like experience at half the cost of entry.

Yet it's not PC gamers who are arguing with furious obsession for hundreds of pages over 2-3 frames difference in a latest multi-platform game. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

In the PC space we have more granularity

Budget all the junk cards
low End 550/1650
Mid-low 590/1660ti/5500xt
Mid end 2060/5600/5700
Mid-high 2070S/5700xt/3060ti
High-end 2080/2080ti/3070/6800
Entusiast 3080/3090/6800xt/6900

Those are the tiers of performance and cost. In my book anyone that have a 2080 or above is high-end, that means play in high settings and frame-rate, the ability to play in 4k today is still considered Entusiast level.
Oh sorry, I didn't know that words mean something different in the "PC space". Got it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Maybe Sony will take green in the future.

Blue is the colour of the sky and the ocean and so is associated with hope, longing, destiny and expanse. Green is the colour of money, naivety and energy efficiency so you'd have to say at least it's more honest.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
PC gamers have an irrational fear of consoles being compared to rigs. The very thought that consoles are even in the same ballpark as the latest cards, pisses them off.

Console gamers are getting a high end, PC like experience at half the cost of entry.
Shows you know nothing about pc gaming.

Ev1L AuRoN

Oh sorry, I didn't know that words mean something different in the "PC space". Got it.

The meaning of a word can change in determined scenarios, the importance is that people understand the idea, I bet you aren't some erudite speaker that only talk using the norm of the language, what I said is ease enough to understand, but you won't because you are so eager to diminish the console performance relative to pc that you refuse to conceive that they are in the high-end tier in the market. Going as far as calling a GPU that cost $500+ mid-end.

The meaning of a word can change in determined scenarios, the importance is that people understand the idea, I bet you aren't some erudite speaker that only talk using the norm of the language, what I said is ease enough to understand, but you won't because you are so eager to diminish the console performance relative to pc that you refuse to conceive that they are in the high-end tier in the market. Going as far as calling a GPU that cost $500+ mid-end.
In a world where Nvidia 3000 series doesn't exist I would maybe agree. $500 is defiantly considered mid-end when we have $1500+ cards.

Don't worry, PS5 is still a powerful machine. If it's good enough for you then it's all that matters.

I think it is pretty obvious that the lower graphic presets was not a bug. I've just one question for anyone who disagrees and says that it was just a bug:

XSX maintains an average of 117-118 frames in the 120 FPS mode with low graphics settings. If the graphics settings increase (assuming at the same resolution it is right now), what happens to frame-rates?

Dirt 5 developers could only hit 117-118 FPS after lowering the graphics. There's no way they are going to just increase the graphical settings. Either the resolution will have to be lowered significantly, or the frame rates will go down to <100 -- which will be unacceptable.

It depends if this is CPU limited or GPU limited ;)

Isn't this a bit like saying that a $500,000 car is not "high end", because some $2,000,000 cars also exist?

According to Steam Survey, people with a GPU better than a 2080 are like 2.5% of the total I think? And Steam Survey is by definition skewed towards high-end gamers, so in all likelyhood you can move that decimal point down another spot.

I mean, if you are putting the boundaries of what is or isn't "high end" arbitrarily so high that only a fraction of a percent of the total population (of products and of users) fits in, you are technically correct, but does that distinction mean anything in practice?

Gotta move the goalposts to keep the master race alive

thelastword

Banned
VRS must be one of most overhyped feature ever (especially on other forum)
Anything that Xbox has and PS does not is overhyped... It's the nature of their game. Look at how they hyped, direct me along with vrr and a time hardware raytracing and then 12tf without thinking anything through. They even hyped 1440p......

All the hype around vrs, I always reasoned. Why would you boast the most powerful console and boast vrs, Phil knew what was up all along, but he constantly misleads and allow his fans to be the loudest on forums about nothing. If your console is the most powerful certainly you don't need vrs so early in the gen.

Yet, Phil boasted XBONEX too and said it would never resort to the upscaling techniques of PRO, but we all know what happened there, only 4k native for XBONEX. Same levels of hype for Series X and it can't even keep up in high bandwidth scenes with graphical settings on low. Phil certainly has a track record of overpromising and under delivering, but at this point I'm really curious if his other pitch, wait for the tools, wait for E3 will be believed and defended. Certainly no one is defending him or believing him at this point right?

sn0man

Go to a Dirt 5 thread on another forum to know how this performs on later levels. The performance tanks on even on Ps5. I have this game and its a massive drop in quality from previous Dirt games, its just a quick shovel job imo.

got a link or anything?
Honestly...weeks have passed and the PS2.5 graphics in the XSX 120Hz mode were not fixed although it should have been an easy bug to identify and fix. Developers stated they would look into it but are they actually going to do something about it or they just said that not to admit that's the best they can do on the system and to avoid being consequently burned alive by the rabid fans?

I think it’s a bit unfair/premature to assume that the devs are unlikely to fix it yet. I think what might be an issue is the XSS and XSX settings maybe not getting applied appropriately. I’m just shocked that the disparity in performance is this large.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
got a link or anything?

I think it’s a bit unfair/premature to assume that the devs are unlikely to fix it yet. I think what might be an issue is the XSS and XSX settings maybe not getting applied appropriately. I’m just shocked that the disparity in performance is this large.
Go and look through the thread on the you know what other forum. I didn't think i could mention or link that forum on here. It was around a week ago I think.

TLZ

Banned
Sega was about to do great things after the Dreamcast
How do you know that? Their demise started with them shooting themselves in the foot as we all know; their crap communication re the CD/32x accessories and Saturn. Their crap internal politics. They lost their fanbase's trust during that time. Sony had nothing to do with that. I think Sony even went to them after Nintendo for collab work on the console back then and were ignored. Look where we are now. Sega only have themselves to blame.

Sony was just the competitor who came at the right time and did everything right, and people jumped ship.

You surely can't and shouldn't expect the market to always be dominated and monopolized by one company. That's not healthy. Neither for businesses nor for us.

wachie

Go to a Dirt 5 thread on another forum to know how this performs on later levels. The performance tanks on even on Ps5. I have this game and its a massive drop in quality from previous Dirt games, its just a quick shovel job imo.
Why would I go to another forum? If you have the receipts, please do share. Until then you are blowing hot air.

1800p vs 1440p is a BIG difference.

How do you know that? Their demise started with them shooting themselves in the foot as we all know; their crap communication re the CD/32x accessories and Saturn. Their crap internal politics. They lost their fanbase's trust during that time. Sony had nothing to do with that. I think Sony even went to them after Nintendo for collab work on the console back then and were ignored. Look where we are now. Sega only have themselves to blame.

Sony was just the competitor who came at the right time and did everything right, and people jumped ship.

You surely can't and shouldn't expect the market to always be dominated and monopolized by one company. That's not healthy. Neither for businesses nor for us.

People keep blaming the Sega CD but again, if you look at sales of both that and the Genesis/MegaDrive from 1992 to 1994, the Sega CD was the highest-selling add-on peripheral for a console during that time (and until the Wii Fit board and Kinect came out), and Genesis/MegaDrive sales kept increasing everywhere outside of Japan, most all of those being markets the Sega CD was in.

Also you have to consider gaming tastes at the time; a lot of people actually liked FMV games, it was only retroactively that those kind of games started getting backlash, particularly once the 3D console era got into full swing. 32X and Saturn costed them a lot more in the West (and Dreamcast in Japan, since Japanese fans were still invested in the Saturn there and Sega botched the Dreamcast release there on top of everything else).

Sega was about to do great things after the Dreamcast, they got finished off by Sony... Just the hype of the PS2 tanked Dreamcast sales (also easy piracy).

No, it's not that simple. Essentially TLZ is right: Sega killed Sega (as a platform holder). You can trace it back to the 32X tbh. Also Sega were kind of wandering about slightly aimlessly insofar as a cohesive company. The arcade division was doing its own thing (including investing hundreds of millions into GameWorks...which probably could've been better spent on more Saturn 1P content, Saturn 3P exclusives, and Dreamcast R&D). They tried pushing into the PC GPU market with the Nvidia NV1 (a Saturnized GPU card) and SegaSoft. Sega of Japan focused on the Saturn at the expense of the Western market. Bernie Stolar basically tried killing off the Saturn in the West to push Dreamcast instead. And they still had other stuff going like the Pico.

Too many simultaneously initiatives for a company that wasn't financially stable or large enough to sustain them all. Mix that in with the corporate infighting, and what happened to Sega was eventually bound to happen (at the expense of their mostly great 1P software).

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Why would I go to another forum? If you have the receipts, please do share. Until then you are blowing hot air.

1800p vs 1440p is a BIG difference.
None of these comparisons play these games long enough and thats what people are saying, you can please yourself if you don't believe them. I'm not disputing resolutions. I got this game digital for £15 and its a bag of shit in quality compared to all other Dirt games.

People keep blaming the Sega CD but again, if you look at sales of both that and the Genesis/MegaDrive from 1992 to 1994, the Sega CD was the highest-selling add-on peripheral for a console during that time (and until the Wii Fit board and Kinect came out), and Genesis/MegaDrive sales kept increasing everywhere outside of Japan, most all of those being markets the Sega CD was in.

Also you have to consider gaming tastes at the time; a lot of people actually liked FMV games, it was only retroactively that those kind of games started getting backlash, particularly once the 3D console era got into full swing. 32X and Saturn costed them a lot more in the West (and Dreamcast in Japan, since Japanese fans were still invested in the Saturn there and Sega botched the Dreamcast release there on top of everything else).

No, it's not that simple. Essentially TLZ is right: Sega killed Sega (as a platform holder). You can trace it back to the 32X tbh. Also Sega were kind of wandering about slightly aimlessly insofar as a cohesive company. The arcade division was doing its own thing (including investing hundreds of millions into GameWorks...which probably could've been better spent on more Saturn 1P content, Saturn 3P exclusives, and Dreamcast R&D). They tried pushing into the PC GPU market with the Nvidia NV1 (a Saturnized GPU card) and SegaSoft. Sega of Japan focused on the Saturn at the expense of the Western market. Bernie Stolar basically tried killing off the Saturn in the West to push Dreamcast instead. And they still had other stuff going like the Pico.

Too many simultaneously initiatives for a company that wasn't financially stable or large enough to sustain them all. Mix that in with the corporate infighting, and what happened to Sega was eventually bound to happen (at the expense of their mostly great 1P software).

The "war" between SEGA of Japan and SEGA US during many years also had big impact (US saturn launch, dreamcast creation are good examples...)

Last edited:

wachie

None of these comparisons play these games long enough and thats what people are saying, you can please yourself if you don't believe them. I'm not disputing resolutions. I got this game digital for £15 and its a bag of shit in quality compared to all other Dirt games.
More hot air, gotcha.

So you got it from the Argentinian Xbox store Digital and you're complaining it's bad, you haven't played it on PS5 and can't because you fell for Spencer's lies.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
So you got it from the Argentinian Xbox store Digital and you're complaining it's bad, you haven't played it on PS5 and can't because you fell for Spencer's lies.
Ooooòh just cause you lost to Spurs.
Was getting it regardless. I'll get Ps5 when GT7 comes out.
Just cause you think like a fanboy doesn't mean everyone else does.
And I'm saying the games a bag of shit, nothing to do with performance, its poor compared to previous games.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

Wait...Am I too late?

thelastword

Banned
There's definitely something wrong with the game.

Here is a benchmark I ran on PC.

ySUdVvf.jpg

And here after I restarted my PC, no change in settings what so ever.

dXwJZzv.jpg
For some reason this affects the software company much more than the hardware company.......NX says the Series X had to be re-started to resolve framerate issues, not that it made the framerate better than PS5, but this was also an issue on XBOX last gen as well........So it seems, PS is not only the best hardware company, seeing as how 10.23TF with heavy bottleneck reducers defeats 12.1TF, but PS5's OS holds up much better too.........One thing is to boast resume/quick resume features that also breaks the primary functionality of your console....

That split ram is going to cause a world of issues all gen long, the CPU resources for the OS ontop of the API penalties are going to be fighting and fisticuffing for a whole gen minute...

Top Bottom