• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NXGamer] Sony Pulse 3D headset: Hardware Review

Zathalus

Personally, it was very uncomfortable for me. Replaced them with an Arctis 7p set and they are much better.

The are more expensive of course.

Kilau

Gold Member
I’ve read people say these are a tight fit. The platinum set are a bit tight on me so I just plug a basic headset into whatever controller I’m using.

Max_Po

Banned
For it's price they are very good. I have a pulse from ps3 days..want an upgrades version of that ...

I love these...

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I got ps5 in january and pulse 3d month later.
It is FANTASTIC ! Sounds amazing with 3d or not on ps5.
The sound is clean, no hiss or lag.
There is just a proper amount of bass and mids. Thankfully it is not another bass cannon gaming headphone.
I've compared it live with m friends steelseries arctis pro and pulse sounds better.

I also use it on pc. The dongle just works no problem. Even microphone and side tone.
I am listening to music with it and it's very good for that. It dethroned my koss porta pro... which was a long time king after many other headphones.
It sounds more open than it looks.

I find the comfort good. The top band can start to give me a hot spot after about 3 hours but nothing too bad,
Earcups are big and breathable thanks to not using memory foam. No sweaty ears. It's pretty light too.
Battery life is not the best. about 10 hours is low nowadays.
white color ftw !

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Personally, it was very uncomfortable for me. Replaced them with an Arctis 7p set and they are much better.

haha it was other way around for me. i tried on arctis pro and the headcups were to small. headband barely enough too

skit_data

Need a new pair of gaming headphones, I’ll probably get these because they seem good for the price and I like the design.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm using the hyper cloud x with my ps5, was debating if I should buy these, what do you guys think?
Sure why not.
Especially if you want to go wireless and have full ps5 integration like controls and volume levels that displays when you change it.
Hyperx cloud is very good but I like the sound of pulse a bit more but it's personal

Nice sounding headset for the price but it still has some annoying usability functionality when it comes to adjusting volumes ect….the series x headset did this really well with the dial on their headset but the pulse headset has these tiny fucking buttons you have to fiddle around and feel for when they are on

the plastic is also cheap and brittle….but u get what u pay for I guess

I'm using the hyper cloud x with my ps5, was debating if I should buy these, what do you guys think?

For credit purposes.

I also have the Arctis 7P headphones and they are pretty good. I recommend looking at them as well.

They sound pretty good and they are extremely comfortable. Plus they have a pretty good battery life as well. I couldn't buy the Pulse headphones so I got the Arctis instead. I've been very happy with them.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Yeah haven't tried these, but the MX4s are great for music and for gaming. Got mine a year ago for £235.
The XM4s are noticeably better. But that's why they cost more than double the price of the Pulse headset.

Sony should just get the XM4s working wirelessly with PS5, slap a PlayStation logo on them, and sell it as their premium PS5 headset.

If people are fine with using a wired headset (to their DualSense), then just get Sony XM4s. They're great for gaming & non gaming.

Last edited:

Aenima

During the Black Friday promos, ppl can find these at 80€. The black ones are already sold out here, was tempted to grab one.

Arioco

If people are fine with using a wired headset (to their DualSense), then just get Sony XM4s. They're great for gaming & non gaming.

I use it wirelessly but I'm curious. Doesn't using the headset wired make the Dualsense battery drain significantly faster? Because it only provides around 10 hours of gameplay before puggling any device to it...

lifa-cobex

I just got a pair from CEX today, second hand.

For the price they are pretty dame solid.
Fits really well with the Vive.

I haven't tried on PS4 yet.

Tschumi

This headset sucks, I've used it handful of times and now it's collecting dust.
Always someone :p

"I've decided to drink water"
"I like water."
"Water is healthy"
"Holy shit water is craptastic, i tried it once and now it's collecting dust on my shelf"

MikeM

Running the Arctis 7X on the PS5 and they sound fantastic. I’m not sure what it is, but I favour the sound output from the PS5 over the Series X. Nxgamer is right in saying that the lack of attention to sound is a big miss from the gaming community.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
the earcup turns me off, looks very uncomfortable for me as I lived in a humid country.

Markio128

You're welcome, I just saved you $99.

But seriously,

- Feels Cheap/Low build quality
- Not as comfortable as other headsets
- Audio sounds like everything is in a tunnel or a bathroom
- Microphone sucks

I'd suggest a HyperX Cloud 2: Wireless
Well I must be dumb because…..
dumb and dumber yes GIF

I'd suggest a HyperX Cloud 2: Wireless

Sound is subjective and I like my Pulse 3D (sound & comfort) a lot, better than my wired HyperX Cloud II (PC).

Imho, PS5 & PS4 games on PS5 with the Pulse 3D sound better than my PC games with the HyperX Cloud II.

I have never been out of battery with the Pulse 3D, nonetheless I wish it had even longer autonomy (same with the Dual Sense).

Topher

Gold Member
The XM4s are noticeably better. But that's why they cost more than double the price of the Pulse headset.

Sony should just get the XM4s working wirelessly with PS5, slap a PlayStation logo on them, and sell it as their premium PS5 headset.

I'm using my XM4 with PS5 wirelessly using this adapter:

One of the great things about PS5 is that it has USB audio out which allows for adapters like this and opens it up for a wide array of headphone options.

Running the Arctis 7X on the PS5 and they sound fantastic. I’m not sure what it is, but I favour the sound output from the PS5 over the Series X. Nxgamer is right in saying that the lack of attention to sound is a big miss from the gaming community.

Did you buy the Dolby Atmos app for XSX? Makes a noticeable difference for headphones.

I think someone got them working with a Bluetooth adapter somehow. I don’t remember but I think Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem might.

Blake Shelton Nbc GIF by The Voice

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I'm using my XM4 with PS5 wirelessly using this adapter:

One of the great things about PS5 is that it has USB audio out which allows for adapters like this and opens it up for a wide array of headphone options.

Did you buy the Dolby Atmos app for XSX? Makes a noticeable difference for headphones.

Blake Shelton Nbc GIF by The Voice
Very cool.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nice sounding headset for the price but it still has some annoying usability functionality when it comes to adjusting volumes ect….the series x headset did this really well with the dial on their headset but the pulse headset has these tiny fucking buttons you have to fiddle around and feel for when they are on

the plastic is also cheap and brittle….but u get what u pay for I guess
What’s wrong with the buttons. I know their location, the tactility is fine, ps5 shows you the volume and the headset remembers it when turned off.
I just keep mine two clicks from Max and never have to change it.

and plastic? what about it? it seems very high quality. Brittle? Is yours broken?

that’s why we can’t have nice things

For $100 its a good hassle free wireless headset.

The Sony WH-XM4s are better tho.
I’ve tried my Sony Hear On 3s, and they’re obviously much better headset than the pulse, but 3D audio sounds like garbage with them hooked up via controller, and sounds pretty great via wireless and pulse. No idea what I’m doing wrong.

I’ve tried my Sony Hear On 3s, and they’re obviously much better headset than the pulse, but 3D audio sounds like garbage with them hooked up via controller, and sounds pretty great via wireless and pulse. No idea what I’m doing wrong.
Find someone with a headphone amp to borrow and see if that helps.

What’s wrong with the buttons. I know their location, the tactility is fine, ps5 shows you the volume and the headset remembers it when turned off.
I just keep mine two clicks from Max and never have to change it.

and plastic? what about it? it seems very high quality. Brittle? Is yours broken?

that’s why we can’t have nice things
When you are in the middle of a game trying to adjust tiny buttons is not my idea of quick and easy..I find myself having to take the headset off to adjust

arctis pro headsets do this much better and the xbox headset is quick and easy to adjust

as for the plastic…..feels cheap and the foam inserts crack every time I put it on my head

Top Bottom