• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer: MLB The Show 22: Technical Comparison, performance & Review - PS5 | SX | SS | PRO

Nydius

and nothing there says they were forced to do anything. All 3 console manufacturers have had access to the MLB license for 15 years. It was about keeping 3rd party(EA/2K) out.
If Sony said no MLB would have ZERO options for a baseball game besides the awful RBI that they published. Nobody was sitting around with a baseball engine ready to step in. If it’s so easy, xbgs sit nintendo would have made their own game years ago.
Nothing in this rant you posted made any sense.

"nothing there says they were forced to do anything" except the ultimatum that if they didn't they'd completely lose the license to one of the most popular sports franchises they own and would suddenly have to compete with other big studios for future access. They were threatened with the loss of their golden goose.

How did "all 3 console manufacturers" have access to the MLB license when both the MLB and MLBPA had exclusivity deals with Sony San Diego Studios? The license was quite literally Sony's alone, unavailable to Microsoft's or Nintendo's studios, and the only people who had the ability to go outside of that agreement, as you point out in your next line, was MLB themselves (who made the RBI baseball series as a band-aid measure).

Nobody was sitting around with a baseball engine ready to step in? You don't think EA Sports or 2K already has foundational development done on a baseball module for their respective sports engines? I guarantee you they do and are salivating for the opportunity.

I don't know why you keep bringing up Xbox and Nintendo when platform holders are largely irrelevant to this discussion beyond the fact that Sony managed to get the MLB license. The competition for San Diego Studio is EA Sports and 2K Sports, not Xbox Game Studios or Nintendo.

I played it and I thought it was boring as crap.

I played it and got drafted by Cleveland, then didn't want to play anymore.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's baseball, it is a boring game that lasts for hours unnecessarily in real life. Lol

Good thing the vastly superior Cricket '22 is available :pie_raybans:

Its all good. I was also going to make a joke saying Sam Diego was hate porting the game out of spite, but then saw people were saying it seriously and assumed you were also serious lol

I dont think they intentionally gimped the Xbox versions. It's just that the series has always been a PS exclusive and their engine and APIs simply work better on the PS consoles. I really dont think there is anything malicious here.

Didn’t we see similar performance differences in fifa? The xsx version was dropping frames in the replay mode just like here. It is probably tied to faster clocks or some direct x api limitation.

IIRC the last FIFA was also 4K/60 on both Pro and One X but 1080p on Series S but with the visual upgrades from PS5/SX.

Again, Series S should be running circles around much higher resolutions than 1080p in these games.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Good thing the vastly superior Cricket '22 is available :pie_raybans:
Cracking Up Lol GIF

FrankWza

except the ultimatum that if they didn't they'd completely lose the license to one of the most popular sports franchises they own and would suddenly have to compete with other big studios for future access.
Link?
They were threatened with the loss of their golden goose.
the one that sold a million copies a year and then shot to 2 million AFTER they went multiplat PLUS mtx?
How did "all 3 console manufacturers" have access to the MLB license when both the MLB and MLBPA had exclusivity deals with Sony San Diego Studios?
False
The license was quite literally Sony's alone, unavailable to Microsoft's or Nintendo's studios
Extra false
2K already has foundational development done on a baseball module for their respective sports engines? I guarantee you they do and are salivating for the opportunity.
when they had the opportunity, they failed and gave up the license
I don't know why you keep bringing up Xbox and Nintendo when platform holders are largely irrelevant to this discussion beyond the fact that Sony managed to get the MLB license
because they both had YEARS to make their own mlb game. They were not able to or did not want to.

Please tell us more though

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony ONLY had a first party license. Any other studio were allowed to purchase a third party license, they chose not to.

MLB and Sony wants to expand revenue. It was a mutually beneficial venture.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There was a certain charm to MLB the show being exclusive I feel like Xbox’s style is 2K.
91Fkn9Bs6lL._SY445_.jpg

FrankWza

Sony ONLY had a first party license. Any other studio were allowed to purchase a third party license, they chose not to.

MLB and Sony wants to expand revenue. It was a mutually beneficial venture.
It was just 2k but they all forfeited the opt in in the 2010s. 2k, microsoft and Nintendo

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It was just 2k but they all forfeited the opt in in the 2010s. 2k, microsoft and Nintendo
Yep, they put out stinkers and never renewed the 3rd party license. Sony’s first party was coming up for renewal, now they have a win/win with snagging the third party one.

Hoping for a PC version next year.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Yep, they put out stinkers and never renewed the 3rd party license. Sony’s first party was coming up for renewal, now they have a win/win with snagging the third party one.

Hoping for a PC version next year.
It’s not an easy sport to get right. There used to be so many awful baseball games. MVP is still the best baseball game ever and that was 16 years ago. Konamis game is pretty good but it’s Japanese only.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It’s not an easy sport to get right. There used to be so many awful baseball games. MVP is still the best baseball game ever and that was 16 years ago. Konamis game is pretty good but it’s Japanese only.
I still have MVP modded on the PC. It was good at the time, but MLB The Show surpassed it gameplay wise and have so for quite some time IMO.

Hezekiah

Banned
1/4 res is basically what is expected, sometimes a bit better. That's basically what the box is built for. I take it that the XSS is running with higher fidelity settings even at the same resolution as PS4 Pro, only way you could explain the pro being more stable there since the XSS is statistically superior in every category (GPUs are close in TF number, but a big difference in efficiency between Polaris and RDNA2).
Initially it was being marketed/described as a 1440p machine, and people on here were saying the same thing.

So you're talking a drop from ~3.7m to ~2m pixels.

sendit

Yep. Very poor showing from the developer. Just like when Playground Games released a 4k 60 fps performance mode on forza Horizon 5 and left the xss's performance mode at 1080p 60 fps. PG clearly hate ported that game to the series s.

Or when Halo infinite's Quality mode was 4k on the series X and only 1080p on the series S. We all know how poor those 343i developers are. Like 5% of them are women! Real ones too. With vaginas and stuff. We cant expect women to code.

But we all know MS first party devs have a hate boner against the Series S. It cant be because of the specs because as we have seen from third party games like Guardians of the Galaxy, the native 4k 30 fps mode on the series x translated to a 1080p 30 fps mode on the series s. Another poor showing from another racist dev.

Speaking or racism, we have got these Nazi devs in Ukraine resisting Putin. Their Metro Exodus next gen port had series s dropping as low as 512p when the series x's lowest was 1080p. A difference of 4x in resolution just like the difference between 1080p and 4k.

then you have the Matrix demo that drops SIGNIFICANTLY BELOW 533p while the xsx drops to 1080p. Same 4x difference. But thats to be expected after Sony paid Epic $1.4 billion just to downgrade the series s version.

source:

GIF by South Park

DaGwaphics

Initially it was being marketed/described as a 1440p machine, and people on here were saying the same thing.

So you're talking a drop from ~3.7m to ~2m pixels.

There are titles that do that, run at 1440p in modes where XSX runs at 4k, sure. But, if you were looking at the gpu difference realistically, 1080p and even a bit of 720p were always in the cards. Assuming otherwise would be the same as assuming that the big boys were going to be locked to native 4k at all times. Naturally, the upper target is always what is advertised to sell the box.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
PS4 Pro pixel fill rate is
64 x .900Mhz = 57.6 ~ 58GPixel/s

Texture fill rate
Pro 144 X .900Mhz = 130 GTexel/s

Series S does have a much better CPU though.
Yes I suppose it makes sense as PS4 Pro is more for higher rez games at 30fps but I was surprised to see its outperforming S at 1080p 60fps.

Unbelievable that AMD apparently redesigned their ROPs to be less efficient than a Pitcairn-Polaris hybrid with roots from almost 10 years ago. 🤷‍♂️
Its not if one is more efficient than yhe other its how each component contributes to the system as a whole and how it was designed with its budget in mind. There are instances of older tech being more efficient than newer is different use cases. Look at LS push rods, theve been killing it forever and hasbent been until recently the overhead cams hit thier stride.

Top Bottom