• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer: MLB The Show 22: Technical Comparison, performance & Review - PS5 | SX | SS | PRO

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And I tried to give an explanation possibly as to why, rather than the conspiracy rabbit holes you seem to not quote and want to stop either, yet you let it to go through one ear out there other.

The same reason Madden and other sports games only have one mode on the S. There has to be a common denominator here, Occam's Razor and all that malarkey.

Yes, the S can perform better, but if these yearly iterations are not giving those modes, then maybe, just maybe the API toolset isn't as mature as it should be as others.

Acknowledging that Series S can do better isn't a conspiracy theory, not sure why that's your go to.

If the API toolset isn't mature, then again that's something that the developers have to resolve, which equally applies to San Diego as it does to EA for their annual franchises. I don't think people don't bring up why Series S runs at 1080p in Fifa where Pro and One X run much higher resolutions at 60 FPS. It is brought up there as well.

Looks like a pretty sloppy Xbox port unsurprisingly, at least the gameplay is locked which is the most important thing. I'll give it a try on Gamepass.

Series X is fine owing to the raw horsepower, Series S is kind of disappointing but we can make some educated guesses to why.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Acknowledging that Series S can do better isn't a conspiracy theory, not sure why that's your go to.

If the API toolset isn't mature, then again that's something that the developers have to resolve, which equally applies to San Diego as it does to EA for their annual franchises. I don't think people don't bring up why Series S runs at 1080p in Fifa where Pro and One X run much higher resolutions at 60 FPS. It is brought up there as well.

Series X is fine owing to the raw horsepower, Series S is kind of disappointing but we can make some educated guesses to why.
No ya clown, this shit is,
yup, you know Sony are bitter as funk deep down about that gamepass deal that was done with the MLB. i don’t even blame them, I’d be petty as fuck too and try and kneecap the development as much as I can without going too far. The series S is even more painful to Sony right now as MS are gaining ground each month because of that little bad boy.

well, I received a warning for this post. Apologies as my intention was not to agitate. I’ll avoid any silly posts like this going forward.
And instead, you big brained it.
Game Show Genius GIF by ABC Network

My points are way more of a sound on the development side of things, considering all annual sports games have done so on that platform.

Are EA bitter too? Games on Game Pass doing a little better than their own service as it gains ground?
youtube fashion GIF

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Don't you mean its a poor showing from the devs not optimizing for the hardware.
Yep. Very poor showing from the developer. Just like when Playground Games released a 4k 60 fps performance mode on forza Horizon 5 and left the xss's performance mode at 1080p 60 fps. PG clearly hate ported that game to the series s.

Or when Halo infinite's Quality mode was 4k on the series X and only 1080p on the series S. We all know how poor those 343i developers are. Like 5% of them are women! Real ones too. With vaginas and stuff. We cant expect women to code.

But we all know MS first party devs have a hate boner against the Series S. It cant be because of the specs because as we have seen from third party games like Guardians of the Galaxy, the native 4k 30 fps mode on the series x translated to a 1080p 30 fps mode on the series s. Another poor showing from another racist dev.

Speaking or racism, we have got these Nazi devs in Ukraine resisting Putin. Their Metro Exodus next gen port had series s dropping as low as 512p when the series x's lowest was 1080p. A difference of 4x in resolution just like the difference between 1080p and 4k.

then you have the Matrix demo that drops SIGNIFICANTLY BELOW 533p while the xsx drops to 1080p. Same 4x difference. But thats to be expected after Sony paid Epic $1.4 billion just to downgrade the series s version.

source:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yep. Very poor showing from the developer. Just like when Playground Games released a 4k 60 fps performance mode on forza Horizon 5 and left the xss's performance mode at 1080p 60 fps. PG clearly hate ported that game to the series s.

Or when Halo infinite's Quality mode was 4k on the series X and only 1080p on the series S. We all know how poor those 343i developers are. Like 5% of them are women! Real ones too. With vaginas and stuff. We cant expect women to code.

But we all know MS first party devs have a hate boner against the Series S. It cant be because of the specs because as we have seen from third party games like Guardians of the Galaxy, the native 4k 30 fps mode on the series x translated to a 1080p 30 fps mode on the series s. Another poor showing from another racist dev.

Speaking or racism, we have got these Nazi devs in Ukraine resisting Putin. Their Metro Exodus next gen port had series s dropping as low as 512p when the series x's lowest was 1080p. A difference of 4x in resolution just like the difference between 1080p and 4k.

then you have the Matrix demo that drops SIGNIFICANTLY BELOW 533p while the xsx drops to 1080p. Same 4x difference. But thats to be expected after Sony paid Epic $1.4 billion just to downgrade the series s version.

source:

Homer Simpson Wow GIF by Justin

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

source:

They must be bitter or some such.

I mean, what corporation doesn't like to expand their audience and gain more revenue in their virtual card trading addictions?

Last edited:
What’s your angle? That the developer spent the same amount of time optimizing both but couldn’t get the XSS to reach a higher resolution than the PS4 Pro?

Well now I can say I’ve read everything on this forum.
Even correct information? This is a snippet of a benchmark showing real pixel performance of Pro. From 20 to 55 Gpx/sec depending of the mode used and number of triangles rendered:

jMYXqAJ.png

Last edited:

source:

The PS4 Pro outperforms the XSS in this game. Do you honestly believe that that system is more performant? Your Horizon and Halo examples are silly because MS NEVER claimed the XSS would run games at the same resolution as the XSX. The games have the same features and Horizon has the same raytracing as on the XSX version on a system that is $200 less.

By the way raytracing is also in the Matrix demo AND the Metro Exodus examples you gave as well. None of that can be said about the PS4 Pro which for this game gets better features than the XSS. So the conclusion is the PS4 Pro is more powerful right? Nothing to do with developer effort? It's clear that many 3rd parties are simply not putting in the same effort on the XSS as they are on other platforms. It's not a conspiracy but the evidence speaks for itself.

source:

Resolution isn't the issue here, 1080 or 720 is fine for series s if that's whats required to bring a game to it. Its assumed at bed room tvs or older smaller models. The issue is PS4 pro can perform better at the same res which shouldn't be the case.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Even correct information? This is a snippet of a benchmark showing real pixel performance of Pro. From 20 to 55 Gpx/sec depending of the mode used and number of triangles rendered:

jMYXqAJ.png

My angle? I guess you didn’t read the 2 posts I quoted because those were some angles.
So what you're saying, just so I understand your logic here, is that despite proper optimization of both systems the PS4 Pro version ended up slightly better than the XSS because of hardware reasons ?

Because you seem to be circling around the idea without being clear about it.

FrankWza

So what you're saying, just so I understand your logic here, is that despite proper optimization of both systems the PS4 Pro version ended up slightly better than the XSS because of hardware reasons ?

Because you seem to be circling around the idea without being clear about it.
You’re imagining things. Either learn how to read or go and clear up the claims from the posters I quoted and then come back with the same energy.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
yup, you know Sony are bitter as funk deep down about that gamepass deal that was done with the MLB. i don’t even blame them, I’d be petty as fuck too and try and kneecap the development as much as I can without going too far. The series S is even more painful to Sony right now as MS are gaining ground each month because of that little bad boy.

well, I received a warning for this post. Apologies as my intention was not to agitate. I’ll avoid any silly posts like this going forward.

I did say yesterday, you're evolving in the wrong direction man. Don't become a misguided disingenuous cultist.

SpicyWillingBarnswallow-max-1mb.gif

No, I think it has a more mature API toolset for said modes for a cross-gen game.

Same reason all other sports games and even MS first party games don't have various modes. Seems to be a game by game basis with that box.
A more mature toolset doesn't explain why the PS4 Pro runs this title with far more modes than a system 5+ years newer. The XSX and XSS use a unified development environment so how could the XSX manage to have modes the XSS completely lacks if it's an API maturity issue with the Xbox? We aren't talking just optimization of modes but them being completely absent.

Games like Hellblade 1 on XSS got the same graphic upgrades as the XSX.

This too is a cross generational game and one that came out BEFORE this baseball game yet XSS made out fine. Why didn't the toolset create issues here?

These systems is well into their second year of existence. What is clear that the effort a dev wants to take making XSS version varies game to game but it isn't the toolset nor the hardware that's to blame. Developers make a choice on what features they want to implement in a game and on a platform. Those features inclusion or exclusion seem to be based on if the developer wants to take the time, effort, and or resources to make it happen. Since the XSS is the budget device many or choosing to simply not bother. That doesn't mean the system isn't capable of more.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A more mature toolset doesn't explain why the PS4 Pro runs this title with far more modes than a system 5+ years newer.
Tom Cruise What GIF

Since the XSS is the budget device many or choosing to simply not bother. That doesn't mean the system isn't capable of more.
200.gif

It's what I've been saying in this entire thread. Hence many examples of other sports game makers, other third parties, even their own first party lacking various modes is why I've been saying it's a game by game basis.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

You’re imagining things. Either learn how to read or go and clear up the claims from the posters I quoted and then come back with the same energy.
What claims are there to clear? The initial posts said the game is poorly optimized because the dev didn't give a shit about the Series S version (and to be honest the other versions too).

You said those were "conspiracies" so what is, according to you, the explanation for those poor results compared to the PS4 Pro, a much weaker hardware on a much older architecture?

In fact, you haven't made any point in this thread at all, just four posts arguing with others.

FrankWza

What claims are there to clear? The initial posts said the game is poorly optimized because the dev didn't give a shit about the Series S version (and to be honest the other versions too).

You said those were "conspiracies" so what is, according to you, the explanation for those poor results compared to the PS4 Pro, a much weaker hardware on a much older architecture?

In fact, you haven't made any point in this thread at all, just four posts arguing with others.
adam sandler reasons GIF

Stuart360

Why are people warring over MLB the fucking Show?, and using a baseball game to judge these consoles?.
At least actual gameplay is perfect on all 3 consoles and its only the cutscenes that are a problem. It does make you wonder why they didnt just lock the cutscenes to 30fps, like a lot of sports games do.

Last edited:

FrankWza

What claims are there to clear? The initial posts said the game is poorly optimized because the dev didn't give a shit about the Series S version
Where do you see any of this here?
Sony devs are forced to port a game over to Xbox
Now if you can’t read you shouldn’t accuse people of this:
if you can't make a proper argument or sustain a conversation.
And here is proof of how ridiculously stupid those posts are. Feel free to lump yourself in with them if you want.

HoofHearted

Why are people warring over MLB the fucking Show?, and using a baseball game to judge these consoles?.
At least actual gameplay is perfect on all 3 consoles and its only the cutscenes that are a problem. It does make you wonder why they didnt just lock the cutscenes to 30fps, like a lot of sports games do.

San Diego is stretched thin with so many versions of the game, and would the MLB not object to it, transition into releasing a version every other year. The studio does not have the hundreds and hundreds of people EA throws at FIFA, for example. I could be off base here, but keeping the current pace will not do the franchise any good, moving foward...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

San Diego is stretched thin with so many versions of the game, and would the MLB not object to it, transition into releasing a version every other year. The studio does not have the hundreds and hundreds of people EA throws at FIFA, for example. I could be off base here, but keeping the current pace will not do the franchise any good, moving foward...
Looking at the fact that we are in year 2 and we have no next gen visual update let alone physics updates, it is clear that they are too busy handling like 30 different ports of the game instead of adding meaningful next gen updates.

Meanwhile NBA2k, Madden and Fifa all had next gen visual improvements mere days after next gen launch. Last year, San Diego studios had an extra six months to add something. Next gen hair or next gen models. Nothing. Then they spent another full year adding fuck all. it still looks the same as last gen versions at higher res. It's shocking. Embarrassing even for a first party studio.

Rbk_3

You guys have proof of these conspiracies or are you stating opinions? They both read like you’re stating facts
Game runs significantly worse on better hardware. Doesn't take a genius to figure out why that is probably the case.

MLB made them port it over to Xbox if they wanted to retain the licence and they're clearly not spending the time to optimize it properly and are putting more focus on the Play Station versions.

Last edited:
Looking at the fact that we are in year 2 and we have no next gen visual update let alone physics updates, it is clear that they are too busy handling like 30 different ports of the game instead of adding meaningful next gen updates.

Meanwhile NBA2k, Madden and Fifa all had next gen visual improvements mere days after next gen launch. Last year, San Diego studios had an extra six months to add something. Next gen hair or next gen models. Nothing. Then they spent another full year adding fuck all. it still looks the same as last gen versions at higher res. It's shocking. Embarrassing even for a first party studio.

It is a question of manpower at this point. Clearly, they need to recruit tens of other developers. I have also been wondering if Sony should not incubate an additional team within the studio to start a football franchise, now that the FIFA license is no longer the "property" of EA. It would not be easy, but if they were to hire ex-FIFA and PES guys, they could have a shot at creating something viable in the future. SD would become a premiere sports stable.

Last edited:

FrankWza

using a baseball game to judge these consoles?
As far as I see it’s being used, along with many other games, to judge one console specifically. Instead of treating it as another example people are claiming it’s a conspiracy that Sony has intentionally gimped one console when the others perform fine relative to their specs. It makes you wonder if some people who claim to have an x actually have an s because they defend it when they should be demanding an explanation since FIRST party studios have issues as well.
Game runs significantly worse on better hardware. Doesn't take a genius to figure out why that is probably the case.

MLB made them port it over to Xbox if they wanted to retain the licence and they're clearly not spending the time to optimize it properly and are putting more focus on the Play Station versions.

and nothing there says they were forced to do anything. All 3 console manufacturers have had access to the MLB license for 15 years. It was about keeping 3rd party(EA/2K) out.
If Sony said no MLB would have ZERO options for a baseball game besides the awful RBI that they published. Nobody was sitting around with a baseball engine ready to step in. If it’s so easy, xbgs sit nintendo would have made their own game years ago.

FrankWza

I’m glad you wrote this.agree 100%. You and I have been as critical of SDS as any members here. But some of these conspiracy takes are beyond ridiculous. I think they’d be better off just doing updates every other year. They have a lot to prove next year. Now they’re getting a huge bump from a switch version and more mTx. I wouldn’t be surprised if this game is on the new subscription service come June.

Tom Cruise What GIF

200.gif

It's what I've been saying in this entire thread. Hence many examples of other sports game makers, other third parties, even their own first party lacking various modes is why I've been saying it's a game by game basis.
You said stuff about immature APIs. I said that has nothing to do with that seeing how the XSX has the same dev environment. It's simply a matter of developer effort and choices. Of course it comes down to game by game basis. Each developer puts in different effort based on the game and platform. The lacking from first party is also laughable when MS puts out games with raytracing on XSS and Sony puts out games that run better on last generation hardware. This isn't the same effort clearly.

DavJay

Did they lose the mlb network license? Doesn’t seems to be there and I think that’s the reason for new commentary.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Dench, i liked you man. Why did you have to go full timdog on us?

I honestly didn't think it was that serious. Like I really wish we could all sit down and have a beer and everyone would honestly see I'm really quite light hearted and just sometimes say stupid shit. Doesn't mean it's true and I really need to realise that stupid dumb ass comments do not translate well through text or the Internet. Hence why I was like, I'd be petty as fuck and gimp a version out of spite. Of course a logical business brain wouldn't do it. I was just trying to be edgy for the lulz post but reading it back it's pretty damn embarrassing. I've had a poor showing in the last 48 hours.

I'll take my warning like a champ and check myself before clicking post reply lol.

I'll earn your respect again....I hope :)

Leyasu

Banned
If photomode was enough to declare a win Control, then it is only fair that replays can be enough for a win here in my book.

Season 1 Episode 5 Nbc GIF by Bluff City Law

dcmk7

Banned
I honestly didn't think it was that serious. Like I really wish we could all sit down and have a beer and everyone would honestly see I'm really quite light hearted and just sometimes say stupid shit. Doesn't mean it's true and I really need to realise that stupid dumb ass comments do not translate well through text or the Internet. Hence why I was like, I'd be petty as fuck and gimp a version out of spite. Of course a logical business brain wouldn't do it. I was just trying to be edgy for the lulz post but reading it back it's pretty damn embarrassing. I've had a poor showing in the last 48 hours.

I'll take my warning like a champ and check myself before clicking post reply lol.

It's good that you at least acknowledge it being a pretty out there post.

The people who reacted favourably to it are the biggest warriors around, so maybe if that happens again you could take it as a sign that you've probably gone too far :messenger_winking: respect for the honesty though mate.

Tripolygon

Banned
Ps4 Pro pixel fill rate 29.15 GPixel/s
Texture Rate 131.2 GTexel/s

Series S

Pixel Rate 50.08 GPixel/s
Texture Rate 125.2 GTexel/s

As well as a superior CPU.

Yeah I think its been shovelled on to Xbox.
PS4 Pro pixel fill rate is
64 x .900Mhz = 57.6 ~ 58GPixel/s

Texture fill rate
Pro 144 X .900Mhz = 130 GTexel/s

Series S does have a much better CPU though.

SlimySnake

Its all good. I was also going to make a joke saying Sam Diego was hate porting the game out of spite, but then saw people were saying it seriously and assumed you were also serious lol
I’m glad you wrote this.agree 100%. You and I have been as critical of SDS as any members here. But some of these conspiracy takes are beyond ridiculous. I think they’d be better off just doing updates every other year. They have a lot to prove next year. Now they’re getting a huge bump from a switch version and more mTx. I wouldn’t be surprised if this game is on the new subscription service come June.
I dont think they intentionally gimped the Xbox versions. It's just that the series has always been a PS exclusive and their engine and APIs simply work better on the PS consoles. I really dont think there is anything malicious here.

Didn’t we see similar performance differences in fifa? The xsx version was dropping frames in the replay mode just like here. It is probably tied to faster clocks or some direct x api limitation.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You said stuff about immature APIs. I said that has nothing to do with that seeing how the XSX has the same dev environment. It's simply a matter of developer effort and choices. Of course it comes down to game by game basis. Each developer puts in different effort based on the game and platform. The lacking from first party is also laughable when MS puts out games with raytracing on XSS and Sony puts out games that run better on last generation hardware. This isn't the same effort clearly.
Are you intentionally obtuse?

It’s almost as if you don’t want to read and comprehend what is said, just to blindly defend things you feel emotionally damage you.

Ofc a system that has had a various profile API for over 6 years now, would have more maturity and experience in the matter than a new low end box that even their own first party barely profiles with.

But carry on!
Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

Last edited:
Top Bottom