• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer: MLB The Show 22: Technical Comparison, performance & Review - PS5 | SX | SS | PRO

Arioco

- Series X and PS5 run at 2160p. Series S runs at 1080p. PS4 Pro has a faster mode which is 1080p, but it also has other two modes that run at up to1440p and native 4K respectively.

- As for performance, in general gameplay doesn't have any performance issues. Replays do stress the GPU heavily and can cause dips below 60 fps. When it happens PS5 can perform 22-25% better than Series X. Series S does a good job at 1080p but performance can be worse than Pro at the same rez.

- Loading times are a bit faster on PS5 than Series X, and Series X is faster than Series S and PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The MVP boxart is frikken fire.
Now I want this game just for the boxart.

MLB-The-Show-22-MVP-edition-and-digital-deluxe-edition.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is there a "story" mode in this ? wondering if it's worth a download on game pass. Not really big into baseball in the first place.

Lysandros

He explained that the game is optimised for PS5 APIs which translates into worst XSX performance. Nothing major.
He also mentioned PS5 GPU's faster clock speed and post processing effects benefiting from it due to higher fillrate. So he sees the difference as being a combination of hardware and software. I was personally thinking more about faster polygon throughput and culling due to crowd density.

c5qywfj.jpg

L8vOkNj.jpg

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They really need to upgrade their player models and skeletal rigs (the bent wrist syndrome from MLB '10 rears its ugly head).

I imagine it's in the works, knowing them, but having more platforms to develop for will delay a lot of upgrades they could focus on. Like more PBR they were doing in the past, etc..

Last edited:
Not necessarily. What would be the reason to not optimize for XSS especially? XSX/PS5 also don't seem to be 'perfectly' optimized either they drop as low as 30-40 FPS in cutscenes. This is hardly the first time XSS is behind significantly, the hardware being the main reason.
They say the Series S performance can be worse than PS 4 pro at the same res. Not really a good excuse for that in my opinion, other than not enough time spent optimizing for the hardware. The Series S should be outperforming the PS 4 pro easily.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
He also mentioned PS5 GPU's faster clock speed and post processing effects benefiting from it due to higher fillrate. So he sees the difference as being a combination of hardware and software. I was personally thinking more about faster polygon throughput and culling due to crowd density.

Not necessarily. What would be the reason to not optimize for XSS especially? XSX/PS5 also don't seem to be 'perfectly' optimized either they drop as low as 30-40 FPS in cutscenes. This is hardly the first time XSS is behind significantly, the hardware being the main reason.
Do you remember what the specs for fillrate and clocks etc are for PS4 Pro v Series S ?
I've only quickly watch video but from what I can gather SS only as one setting higher than Pro ? And performs worse at times on SS than Pro?

Edit

Ps4 Pro pixel fill rate 29.15 GPixel/s
Texture Rate 131.2 GTexel/s

Series S

Pixel Rate 50.08 GPixel/s
Texture Rate 125.2 GTexel/s

As well as a superior CPU.

Yeah I think its been shovelled on to Xbox.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Playstation platforms been using a modified version of the same apis for how many years now?

Kinda expected that the dev with over 10 years experience on one platform vs a couple on another would see some differences in performance.

Then add the fact that it's a sony first party developer lol. ... not surprising results.

adamsapple

Multi really hurt my expectations for a big upgrade.

Not multi, the cross-gen does it more. They have to cater to the base 2013 hardware.

From what he said framerate is all over the place only in replays.
Gameplay is locked.

But we can wait VGTech to confirm it.

Yes, any drops seem to be only in the replays where the heavy bokeh kicks in, the game play seems 100% locked on all the new consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
He explained that the game is optimised for PS5 APIs which translates into worst XSX performance. Nothing major.

It's the game's second year on Microsoft hardware, though. You'd think by this point they would have access to - and integrated - the improved GDK API software tools, no?

I don't see why they would purposefully make the game unoptimized for Xbox platforms considering the first game apparently did quite well on them player-wise. Or maybe it's down to publisher backing and Sony publishing the PS version, would have more resources and means to support that version than the MLB publishing the Xbox version?

DaGwaphics

That's an especially poor showing from XSS, it only pushes 1/4 of pixels on screen compared to PS5/XSX.

1/4 res is basically what is expected, sometimes a bit better. That's basically what the box is built for. I take it that the XSS is running with higher fidelity settings even at the same resolution as PS4 Pro, only way you could explain the pro being more stable there since the XSS is statistically superior in every category (GPUs are close in TF number, but a big difference in efficiency between Polaris and RDNA2).

dcmk7

Banned
Then add the fact that it's a sony first party developer lol. ... not surprising results.
Exactly this, would look poor on Sony's part to not have the best performing version out there.

Similiar situation happening with Microsoft and Bethesda cross party such as Doom Eternal.

Having said that, it's difficult to explain the Series S performance it's supposed to be same experience as XSX just at a reduced resolution. So it's amazing to see it's inferior to PS4 Pro for this title.

adamsapple

Exactly this, would look poor on Sony's part to not have the best performing version out there.

Similiar situation happening with Microsoft and Bethesda cross party such as Doom Eternal.

Having said that, it's difficult to explain the Series S performance it's supposed to be same experience as XSX just at a reduced resolution. So it's amazing to see it's inferior to PS4 Pro for this title.

Amazing isn't the word I would use :p

but your sentiment is understood.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

yup, you know Sony are bitter as funk deep down about that gamepass deal that was done with the MLB. i don’t even blame them, I’d be petty as fuck too and try and kneecap the development as much as I can without going too far. The series S is even more painful to Sony right now as MS are gaining ground each month because of that little bad boy.

well, I received a warning for this post. Apologies as my intention was not to agitate. I’ll avoid any silly posts like this going forward.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No conspiracy, just the general acknowledgment that San Diego could have done better on Series S.

The hardware is not at fault here like some might want us to believe.
It's a sports game thing with the odd man out in a 9-10 month dev cycle.

Even Madden only has one mode on the XSS. Maybe their API isn't as toggle friendly, yet, in such a short crunch cycle.

Last edited:

adamsapple

It's a sports game thing with the odd man out in a 9-10 month dev cycle.

Even Madden only has one mode on the XSS. Maybe their API isn't as toggle friendly, yet in such a short crunch cycle.

The engine profile is exactly the same as '21 on all consoles. So, yeah, this reeks of just a quick pay job with an updated roster and not much else different.

FrankWza

yup, you know Sony are bitter as funk deep down about that gamepass deal that was done with the MLB. i don’t even blame them, I’d be petty as fuck too and try and kneecap the development as much as I can without going too far. The series S is even more painful to Sony right now as MS are gaining ground each month because of that little bad boy.
Sony devs are forced to port a game over to Xbox and you're wondering what the reason is they may not optimize it as well?
You guys have proof of these conspiracies or are you stating opinions? They both read like you’re stating facts

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The engine profile is exactly the same as '21 on all consoles. So, yeah, this reeks of just a quick pay job with an updated roster and not much else different.
There is plenty different beyond just graphics. The game modes have seen a lot of nice QOL upgrades. Especially MTO (GOAT Mode)

I have spent time at that studio way back when. They start from a stripped down source code barren version without modes each time. They have to rebuild the systems one by one, there is no "copy/paste alter names/rosters." It does NOT work that way.

Last edited:

adamsapple

There is plenty different beyond just graphics. The game modes have seen a lot of nice QOL upgrades. Especially MTO (GOAT Mode)

I have spent time at that studio way back when. They start from a stripped down source code barren version without modes each time. They have to rebuild the systems one by one, there is not copy/paste alter names. It does NOT work that way.

If that's the case and each unique annual entry requires bespoke work that makes the fact that they didn't optimize the engine during development for stronger hardware and have it run 'worse' than the last gen Jaguar CPU and weaker GPUs stand out even more sloppily.

Ah well, it's not like Xbox had this IP before a year so it's better than nothing to gain a new annual franchise.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If that's the case and each unique annual entry requires bespoke work that makes the fact that they didn't optimize the engine during development for stronger hardware and have it run 'worse' than the last gen Jaguar CPU and weaker GPUs stand out even more sloppily.

Ah well, it's not like Xbox had this IP before a year so it's better than nothing to gain a new annual franchise.
Runs great on the 5 and the X. 🤷‍♀️

And while it's the second year on these machines, the first year did not have the Switch.

Still waiting on a PC version.

Last edited:

Catphish

I'm playing it on PS4 Pro, on the "Fastest" setting.

Smooth as glass. 1080p, 60fps most of the time.

I'd rather play it at a higher resolution, but it really doesn't seem like much is lost. I've been playing this series since '14, and this iteration is the best by far, both in terms of visuals and gameplay.

Might make the jump to PS5 next year (unless they finally pull their heads out and put it on PC) but, for now, this is just fine. Loving it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Clearly we're talking about how it can run better on the S, which is easily a much stronger console than the Pro at least. :messenger_neutral:
And I tried to give an explanation possibly as to why, rather than the conspiracy rabbit holes you seem to not quote and want to stop either, yet you let it to go through one ear out there other.

The same reason Madden and other sports games only have one mode on the S. There has to be a common denominator here, Occam's Razor and all that malarkey.

Yes, the S can perform better, but if these yearly iterations are not giving those modes, then maybe, just maybe the API toolset isn't as mature as it should be as others.

Last edited:
Do you remember what the specs for fillrate and clocks etc are for PS4 Pro v Series S ?
I've only quickly watch video but from what I can gather SS only as one setting higher than Pro ? And performs worse at times on SS than Pro?

Edit

Ps4 Pro pixel fill rate 29.15 GPixel/s
Texture Rate 131.2 GTexel/s

Series S

Pixel Rate 50.08 GPixel/s
Texture Rate 125.2 GTexel/s

As well as a superior CPU.

Yeah I think its been shovelled on to Xbox.
Numbers from techpowerup.com/ for Pro are wrong. Pro has 64 Rops, not 32. It can push 58.3 GPixel/s in theoretical numbers and about 40 GPixel/s in real benchmark (we don't know the real numbers on XSS). And don't forget the specific RDNA2 Rops on XSS (and XSX) with half the number of depth / stencil Rops. Pro pixel performance in some ways actually outperforms XSS (Depth / stencil) and similar in color Rops.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

You guys have proof of these conspiracies or are you stating opinions? They both read like you’re stating facts
What’s your angle? That the developer spent the same amount of time optimizing both but couldn’t get the XSS to reach a higher resolution than the PS4 Pro?
Numbers from techpowerup.com/ for Pro are wrong. Pro has 64 Rops, not 32. It can push 58.3 GPixel/s in theoretical numbers and about 40 GPixel/s in real benchmark (we don't know the real numbers on XSS). And don't forget the specific RDNA2 Rops on XSS (and XSX) with half the number of depth / stencil Rops. Pro pixel performance in some ways actually outperforms XSS (Depth / stencil) and similar in color Rops.
Well now I can say I’ve read everything on this forum.

Last edited:
Top Bottom