• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer/IGN Far Cry 6 console vs PC analysis

jeffyjaixx

NXGamer's analysis shows both the PS5 and XSX using DRS native 4k. PS5 and XSX IQ output is virtually identical when upsampled at 4k when DRS drops below native 4k.

PS5 does have bit more screen tearing 0.5% of total frames vs 0.3% of XSX total frames.

Both premium consoles performing better than a 2070 OC at same settings.

Both premium consoles have same settings across the board.

DRS bounds:
PS5 - 1728p to 4k
XSX - 1782p to 4k
XSS - 1080p to 1440p

Stuart360

Its interesting how some devs can get way more out of the XSS than others.
It could also be a time and budget problem with some devs, with the XSX selling way better than the XSS.

jhjfss

He found an average of 5 to 10% higher resolution on XSX with a min 6% higher res on XSX and both hitting native 4K resolution.
Vince Carter Basketball GIF by NBA

Its interesting how some devs can get way more out of the XSS than others.
It could also be a time and budget problem with some devs, with the XSX selling way better than the XSS.
It's actually not the case. Here XSX is performing about 2.25 to 2.7x more than XSS. This is what we are seeing in most comparisons.

Last edited:
According to this comparison it shouldn't be a blurry mess on the PS5.

Very curious as to why the pixel counting is different between the two.

Riky

$MSFT
Great to see Series S hitting that 1440p at rock solid framerate, Battlefield is the same. Looks like Devs are getting more out the machine and we haven't had all the RDNA2 features used yet. Bodes well for the long run.

ethomaz

Banned
I personally go with VGTech's analysis. He provides you with the data to see for yourself and the screencaps to pixel count for yourself. His numbers lineup.

Edit: But more analysis the better. Always good to get more.
More like different places.

VGTech used a 5 minute record from the same area to reach the counts.
NXGamer probably recorded other (or more than one) to reach the counts.

in any case both uses DRS set to 2160p like I explained in the previous thread.

Last edited:
More like different places.

VGTech used a 5 minute record from the same area to reach the counts.
NXGamer probably recorded other (or more than one) to reach the counts.

in any case both uses DRS set to 2160p like I explained in the previous thread.

Data is still the data. He provided screens demonstrating a pixel count that's lower than what NX says is the baseline, so seems NX didn't stress test enough in the right areas to see what the game is at in more demanding scenes?

Here's his link to some of the scenes he pixel counted to arrive at his figures.

rushgore

NXGamer was also quite unlucky in the KENA resolution count . VGTech (especially since it even provides evidence) and DF (Alex) tend to be more accurate from my point of view.
Where does VGTech share the data and the evidence? I always see them posted on here but I don’t know where do people find them.

onQ123

Data is still the data. He provided screens demonstrating a pixel count that's lower than what NX says is the baseline, so seems NX didn't stress test enough in the right areas to see what the game is at in more demanding scenes?

Here's his link to some of the scenes he pixel counted to arrive at his figures.

Maybe one is before the PS5 FW update & the other is after 👀

Lysandros

So same settings after all, with an average resolution advantage of ~ 5-10% for XSX. Needless to say that i trust NXgamer's findings. I also don't doubt Vgtech's but i think that a mere 5 min. sample is can be less than ideal for optimal results. Also, without average figures, it gives an impression of a larger difference.

Arioco

I think VGTech is the most accurate when it comes to performance and resolution. However, when DRS is in place, expect to find some differences between DF, NXG and VGTech, and that does not mean any of them is wrong.

DRS mean the resolution is not fixed, so the results will depend on the frames they choose to pixel count or the stress areas they found.

The same happens to frame rate. DF and NXG don't provide the numbers as VGTech does, but if they did we would find some small differences between the three of them, since the results depend on the area whose performance they choose to analyze.

What they give us is just a rough approximation, and it's fine. That's why DF, even when they find a fixed resolution, doesn't rule out the possibility of a dynami resolution system in other places they didn't pixel count. They just can't pixel count every frame of every version of a game. That's just not feasible. But if they pixel count dozens of frames in stress areas and they always get 1080p... well, it's pretty safe to say that rez is 1080p, and if it happens to drop a bit in other places that does not prove DF wrong.

According to this comparison it shouldn't be a blurry mess on the PS5.

Very curious as to why the pixel counting is different between the two.
Are you noticing the blurriness too? During the day time it can get quite blurry
NX was saying how Control was broken on XSX when it wasn’t and the ps5 had broken reflections. Yea NX isn’t that reliable
How are they broken? Not as detailed as SX or do they not align with what's being reflected? Do you know I'd this was fixed?

I've been disappointed with Controls Ps5 version since the day it came out. Even if the reflections were perfect, the RT mode would be practically unplayable with its 30 fps and AWFUL input lag. They are the only developer who couldn't get ray traced reflections running without input lag. Oh and they recharged people who already paid $80 for Control and it's dlc.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
They need to start dropping AA (off) on consoles now that the resolution goal is always 4K . It just blurs thing while 4k pretty much show no jagged edges specially in motion for what I've seen so far on PC personally turning it always off since I play in that resolution. Makes things very nice and crisp. Screenshot at high setting, compressed 3mb but AA off:

HRL8aCf.jpg

NXGamer

I love NXGamer, but when it comes to resolution/FPS accuracy I think VGTech is the most accurate out there, much better than DF as well.
Do not start this crap, against and V. Understand a game with DRS is going to be based on counts you get when grabbing a still and then counting in. Frame-rate is the same and I can vouch for my tool being accurate and I have no doubts that VG Tech's is also very accurate. Having multiple sources is the best for all as it can expand on the sample sizes to gather more info, VG Tech Only does FPS and Pixel Counts so He/She has far less work to create a video and here far less versions.

Time is vital for me and when you are covering 9 versions within a 3-4 day window as an aside to full time work, well then you have to limit your scope to get the thing delivered.

Coming here and always seeing these kind of comments does piss me off and I may just stop dropping in as the threads never discuss the tech, info or anything meaningful they just come down to console wars, who is "BEST" and them versus them etc etc bollocks and it is very boring and not worth the time.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Do not start this crap, against and V. Understand a game with DRS is going to be based on counts you get when grabbing a still and then counting in. Frame-rate is the same and I can vouch for my tool being accurate and I have no doubts that VG Tech's is also very accurate. Having multiple sources is the best for all as it can expand on the sample sizes to gather more info, VG Tech Only does FPS and Pixel Counts so He/She has far less work to create a video and here far less versions.

Time is vital for me and when you are covering 9 versions within a 3-4 day window as an aside to full time work, well then you have to limit your scope to get the thing delivered.

Coming here and always seeing these kind of comments does piss me off and I may just stop dropping in as the threads never discuss the tech, info or anything meaningful they just come down to console wars, who is "BEST" and them versus them etc etc bollocks and it is very boring and not worth the time.

Sorry, mate, if I came off as a jerk, although not intended. I'm not comparing your overall video as in that case it's my best version to me, at least, not because I'm saying it upfront to your face but I've said so in many other occasions. I can understand that DRS can be tricky and different results should be expected, but I've mentioned VGTech as the most accurate as he seems to have his full focus on that with bigger chunks of the games tested.

Saying that there is a better place to fix your wheel doesn't mean that "complete" garage is bad, if that makes any sense. Also I can see how stressful it can be, especially from a financial way as you maybe doing something that rewards you better in that regards and we appreciate the time and effort you put on these videos. Don't be bothered as success comes with all this shit you're annoyed from, it's a sign that you're doing great.

I'm sorry again if I've bothered you with my comment, and if you ever stop throwing these great videos then I'm in the losing team. Warm regards.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Are you noticing the blurriness too? During the day time it can get quite blurry

How are they broken? Not as detailed as SX or do they not align with what's being reflected? Do you know I'd this was fixed?

I've been disappointed with Controls Ps5 version since the day it came out. Even if the reflections were perfect, the RT mode would be practically unplayable with its 30 fps and AWFUL input lag. They are the only developer who couldn't get ray traced reflections running without input lag. Oh and they recharged people who already paid $80 for Control and it's dlc.
Are you kidding? FarCry6 is quite blurry on XSX too. Where you see all this better sharpness, I can see the better sharpness there just looking in some specified details in the long distance and it's not even that evident all the time, at least looking on the videos available.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
This game not work properly with my HDR setup. The colours appear too much colourful with the HDR on, setting the right contrast is almost impossible, can't see a shit on ps5, I'm blinded to the colours and the sharpness is completely broken. I tried everything but I can't fix it. I have to switch off to have a normal IQ. Anyone else? Most of the games which work properly with the HDR are just the Sony exclusive, I'm starting to think there is something broken between the firmware and HDR with the AAA games.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They need to start dropping AA (off) on consoles now that the resolution goal is always 4K . It just blurs thing while 4k pretty much show no jagged edges specially in motion for what I've seen so far on PC personally turning it always off since I play in that resolution. Makes things very nice and crisp. Screenshot at high setting, compressed 3mb but AA off:

HRL8aCf.jpg
Dropping AA? no way.
Native 4k is jagged af even on 27" monitor. You need less aa but you still need it. And simple TAA might not be enough with foliage.
I game on 48" tv now so it is even more obvious.

GHG

Dropping AA? no way.
Native 4k is jagged af even on 27" monitor. You need less aa but you still need it. And simple TAA might not be enough with foliage.

Yeh I'd imagine with no AA it would have aliasing everywhere and look like crap on any screen size above 32 inches.

It would probably look fine on a monitor but on a TV it will not look great.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Dropping AA? no way.
Both situations where you are less than 3 feet aways from your screen I suspect ? They should give the option at least to turn off because it's getting less and less useful for the typical tv distance (not close to your desk) at this resolution nonetheless and impact sharpness of the higher res

Top Bottom