• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer: Astro's PlayRoom loading improved by up to 15x, from 1.71s/0.11s, 7.85s/2.85s with latest firmware update.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Being 44 yes old, I’m excited for each and every console launch. I’m at the stage of life when you only have so many more gens left in you. Luckily, I still have all of my faculties and .. and.. umm... Billy? Is that you? Billy? I want to go back to my room. Nurse!!

bender

What time is it?
Being 44 yes old, I’m excited for each and every console launch. I’m at the stage of life when you only have so many more gens left in you. Luckily, I still have all of my faculties and .. and.. umm... Billy? Is that you? Billy? I want to go back to my room. Nurse!!

I’m 40 and still look forward to releases. Once I retired from the Marine Corps, I needed something to fall back on because of my mental and physical disabilities.

It keeps me occupied and I still get excited. No shame

I'm 40 and will be gaming until it's my time to go. My wife understand this.

Shit I’m 40 and right there with you. Probably the most excited I’ve been since ps2.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Wait til your 45, and you ask your wife if you can get one for your Christmas/Birthday/Anniversary Present.

AND SHE SAYS YES!
Damn it would be a miracle if I had a wife by 45. Mental illness sucks.
Your wife said that you can get a ps5 for Christmas? Sweet. She's a good woman.

Any Neogaf women single? Though I play games i don't play women.

One benefit of voice chat with online gaming, you never know who you'll meet.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Damn it would be a miracle if I had a wife by 45. Mental illness sucks.
Your wife said that you can get a ps5 for Christmas? Sweet. She's a good woman.

Any Neogaf women single? Though I play games i don't play women.

One benefit of voice chat with online gaming, you never know who you'll meet.
Keep strong, brother. You have a family here.

How much of this improvement is because of the ssd or did sucker punch figure out a way to decrease load times and that tech is being used on everything to help supercharge everything?

How much of this improvement is because of the ssd or did sucker punch figure out a way to decrease load times and that tech is being used on everything to help supercharge everything?

I believe its Sucker Punch, and I refuse to believe otherwise until Sony themselves say so.

That game came out with fast blazing speeds for an open world game, which also translated into their multiplayer mode, and then all of a sudden older games get enhanced speeds.

I fail to see how an SSD for the PS5 somehow meant PS4 games had improve load times.

SP came out and explained how they achieved super fast load times with their technology, it has to be them.

Life seems short when you look at it from a console gen perspective. If I'm lucky I'll see maybe 7 more gens happen. I can't imagine the graphical fidelity by then. Also by then we probably won't have gens anymore.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
i'm 50 and i play video games since i'm 9 (they didn' really exist that much before), and i'm really hype for the PS5 release. I got one preordered one hour after the reveal event on 17/09, it's a rare 7 years event for me (still use standard PS4 from 2013). While i'm gaming as much on PC, PS gaming is just good memories stretch across 20+ years now. And yes, loading time is a pain on PS4 so the PS5 special SSD tech seem like a bliss and a return to old console cartridge style feeling.

TimFL

I believe its Sucker Punch, and I refuse to believe otherwise until Sony themselves say so.

That game came out with fast blazing speeds for an open world game, which also translated into their multiplayer mode, and then all of a sudden older games get enhanced speeds.

I fail to see how an SSD for the PS5 somehow meant PS4 games had improve load times.

SP came out and explained how they achieved super fast load times with their technology, it has to be them.
GoT had blazing fast loading because the game is mediocre itself. You can literally see enemy NPCs stuck in place until you get closer to them, that‘s when they actually start their scripts and do stuff. That and it‘s dead as heck, just a fancy looking environment with copy/paste assets and missions.

I, for one, refuse to believe the fairy tale that is the „silver bullet for loading times created by SP“.
Thinking GoT somehow shaped PS5 loading tech or improved them is bonkers.

Last edited:
GoT had blazing fast loading because the game is mediocre itself. You can literally see enemy NPCs stuck in place until you get closer to them, that‘s when they actually start their scripts and do stuff. That and it‘s dead as heck, just a fancy looking environment with copy/paste assets and missions.

I, for one, refuse to believe the fairy tale that is the „silver bullet for loading times created by SP“.
Thinking GoT somehow shaped PS5 loading tech or improved them is bonkers.

1. Never said SP had a hand in shaping the PS5 tech, that's all SSD technology. I said it had a hand in making these older games for the PS4 load faster because of how SP had found a way to compress considerably large files (200m x 200m tiles into 2mb's) that lead to the small number of games (so far) that have received updates.

2. IF you actually take note of the games that have been updated recently that seemed to have loading times accelerated, they seem to be games that are older, or they're not open world games. My argument is that SP's tech had helped games like TLOU, Detroit: Become Human, and Astro Boy reach faster loading times because they are older games, and/or games that are not open world. If SP's tech could be applied across the board, then all recent games in the Playstation catalogue would benefit. So far, it hasn't.

3. Lmao, calling Ghost of Tsushima a mediocre game is of your opinion - and an opinion I can somewhat agree to. I think the game was better than average, but definitely not God-status to me. I think SP has elevated themselves into God-status, but the game itself will definitely only improve itself in the sequel.

4. NPC's stuck in one place in an open world game is a dumb argument. Go watch or play Watch Dogs: Legion and you'll find the same issues you're raising being present in a cross-gen game. It's a thin argument to make, and I wouldn't die on that hill if I were you. Also, i'll bet you that AC Vahalla will have the same issue as it was still an issue found in Odyssey and Origins. Please do point out an open world game in which NPC's don't find themselves stuck at least once.

Hopefully this clears your confusion in my post.

Top Bottom