• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] PS5 SSD Expansion - Beta 2.0 M2 In-Depth Technical Review

Tripolygon

Banned
I don't know. You're probably going to see a lot of people crying about how their PS5 "broke" after they tried installing it. Like that idiot above buying thermal paste for it.
A lot of these things are idiot proof. Most of these heatsinks come with thermal pads for you to use in the kit, and as has been pointed out, these thermal paste are not electrically conductive to prevent short circuiting your motherboard. Sony and Microsoft use viscous thermal Paste inside PS5 and XSX for the RAM and Storage modules etc. If you decide to use liquid metal on the other-hand that is a whole different thing.

PS5, look at the past on the internal SSD
QojUX3l.png

XSX, look at the thick paste on the SSD.
8aaWpn4.png

Last edited:
A lot of these things are idiot proof. Most of these heatsinks come with thermal pads for you to use in the kit, and as has been pointed out, these thermal paste are not electrically conductive to prevent short circuiting your motherboard. Sony and Microsoft use vicious thermal Paste inside PS5 and XSX for the RAM and Storage modules etc. If you decide to use liquid metal on the other-hand that is a whole different thing.

PS5, look at the past on the internal SSD
QojUX3l.png

XSX, look at the thick paste on the SSD.
8aaWpn4.png

To be fair I believe ManaByte ManaByte is trying to suggest that the majority of PS5 owners are incapable of switching out the NVME. But even for those individuals ( extremely dumb ones BTW and certainly not the majority) they can have places like BestBuy install the NVMEs for them at no charge. At least that's what my best buy does. So it's definitely not an impossible task for PS5 owners unless they overcomplicate things.

Edit: What I believe Sony did was that they made the process as simple as possible while allowing their consumers to have access to the PC NVME market. They probably did a study on their own group of consumers and decided that it wasn't too difficult for the majority of people. Obviously there are still a few that will have issues but Sony is really thinking just about the majority here.

Last edited:
Like it happened with PS3? Or PS4? C’mon.

PlayStation users are already used to this type of thing. Plus it's even easier than it was on the PS3/PS4. If I remember correctly you had to install the OS with both of those. Not complicated but it was definitely an extra step that you had to do.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol you dont need thermal paste on the ssd. I have the 980 Pro installed on my PC that i monitor using a samsung app and it stays at normal temperatures at all times. All I did was put a heat shield on top. it came with the motherboard, but no strips, no paste, no thermal pads or giant heatsink covers.

Mr Moose

Might be a good price, I have no idea.
3 options from $182... Shows 2 options that are $260+... Wat.

Last edited:

Shmunter

lol you dont need thermal paste on the ssd. I have the 980 Pro installed on my PC that i monitor using a samsung app and it stays at normal temperatures at all times. All I did was put a heat shield on top. it came with the motherboard, but no strips, no paste, no thermal pads or giant heatsink covers.
One thing to consider regarding PS5 is that next gen games are supposed to flex on the asset streaming, potentially creating high & constant load during gaming sessions.

Could by why a heat sink for PS5 is more a necessity rather than an option.

Even that nvm bay has no ventilation apart from 2 tiny indents under the cover. I actually have no idea how it’s supposed to work. Leaving the little cover off and allowing the airflow under the white fin may actually be more effective. Wonder if anyone has done proper heat measures yet.

Last edited:
One thing to consider regarding PS5 is that next gen games are supposed to flex on the asset streaming, potentially creating high & constant load during gaming sessions.

Even that nvm bay has no ventilation apart from 2 tiny indents under the cover. I actually have no idea how it’s supposed to work. Leaving the little cover off and allowing the airflow under the white fin may actually be more effective. Wonder if anyone has done proper heat measures yet.

Haven't seen someone test a normal sized heatsink but I saw a video with that huge Sabrant heatsink. He put the nodes directly on the nand and he got the best results from it.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Haven't seen someone test a normal sized heatsink but I saw a video with that huge Sabrant heatsink. He put the nodes directly on the nand and he got the best results from it.

Thanks, will watch.

But yeah, I imagine the taller the heatsink, the better. Just leave the little cover off.

Lysandros

As far as i know PS5 external nvm bay has active ventilation from the main fan.

Negative pressure caused by fan should be enough to cool the SSD. Someone will probably test with or without but with a heatsink the thing stays quite cool even with the cover.

RafterXL

The two airflow are not for screw… you don’t even need screw in these two places.

How does that work? Those two little dents aren't going to do anything. And if the idea is that the fan will suck hot air out through them, wouldn't it be even better to just leave the cover off completely?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
How does that work? Those two little dents aren't going to do anything. And if the idea is that the fan will suck hot air out through them, wouldn't it be even better to just leave the cover off completely?
The two dents are not little and they create contact directly with air and the heatsink.

That is why you have a wall that direct the air to the fan.

Last edited:
We've seen some early temperature tests and it looks like the NVME won't overheat your console. I'm not sure why people are still worried about this.

RafterXL

You know you can do that yourself if you want to.
I was going to anyway because I bought a drive with a stupid fat heatsink on it.
The two dents are not little and they create contact directly with air and the heatsink.
They sure as hell are. Have you even taken the side off of your PS5? They are tiny. The idea that they are going to suck all the heat out through them, especially when most drives, including the one you posted a picture of, will completely block access to all the airflow anyway. is absurd.

Like look at your image. That red heatsink completely seals those two openings.

skit_data

Two small holes probably provides a better airflow than taking the cover off. The speed at which air travels over the heatsink and provides cooling will be better with a faster and more narrow flow of air depending on where it exits.

Series X for example has small holes at the bottom of the console and a bigger exhaust, making the airflow more effective. For example, a pipe with the same dimensions on both ends will not be as effective at transporting heat as something that expells a larger amount of air than it takes in.

Edit: ”Negative air pressure” is probably the easiest way to describe it.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I was going to anyway because I bought a drive with a stupid fat heatsink on it.

They sure as hell are. Have you even taken the side off of your PS5? They are tiny. The idea that they are going to suck all the heat out through them, especially when most drives, including the one you posted a picture of, will completely block access to all the airflow anyway. is absurd.

Like look at your image. That red heatsink completely seals those two openings.
Man the air cool the heatsink that cools the SSD… that is the whole ideia over heatsink lol

RafterXL

Two small holes probably provides a better airflow than taking the cover off. The speed at which air travels over the heatsink and provides cooling will be better with a faster and more narrow flow of air depending on where it exits.

Series X for example has small holes at the bottom of the console and a bigger exhaust, making the airflow more effective. For example, a pipe with the same dimensions on both ends will not be as effective at transporting heat as something that expells a larger amount of air than it takes in.

Edit: ”Negative air pressure” is probably the easiest way to describe it.
Negative air pressure would require a way for the air to leak out of those holes. Look at the image of the red heatsink, there's literally no way you are pulling air out of those holes with it blocking access to the air inside.
Man the air cool the heatsink that cools the SSD… that is the whole ideia over heatsink lol
The metal completely blocks access to any air inside that slot. You can't have negative pressure and cool the heatsink if it's completely blocked, which it is.

I'm not worried about the heat anyway, but the idea that two tiny holes that are completely blocked by a slab of metal is going to cool that compartment is ridiculous.

skit_data

Negative air pressure would require a way for the air to leak out of those holes. Look at the image of the red heatsink, there's literally no way you are pulling air out of those holes with it blocking access to the air inside.
Those are the intakes, the ”exhaust” is in the direction the fan sits i.e opposite to the M2 connection. The fan pulls air out from the slot and the two holes acts as a small intake. That’s at least how I assume how its supposed to work.

Last edited:

Lysandros

After reading some extremely convincing posts on this thread, i became a firm believer that japanese Sony Engineers are completely inept to design a proper air flow/solution to cool the machine's external SSD. I finally see the naked truth, i am grateful...

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

The metal completely blocks access to any air inside that slot. You can't have negative pressure and cool the heatsink if it's completely blocked, which it is.

I'm not worried about the heat anyway, but the idea that two tiny holes that are completely blocked by a slab of metal is going to cool that compartment is ridiculous.
Man there are tests showing it works.

BTW point of the contact doesn’t need to be the whole heatsink… if the cool reach even small area of the heatsink it already hold the temperature.

Last edited:
Top Bottom