• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] PS5 SSD Expansion - Beta 2.0 M2 In-Depth Technical Review

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Bigger worlds more open environments? And of course for the asset quality to improve which I'm guessing UE5 is going to help with that. I don't believe Demon Souls is the best that they could do.
How much data you expecting to see on screen at any one time? Yeah the SSD Will stream it incredibly fast but in real terms how much do you really think? And if the SSD in ps5 is gonna be maxed out streaming assists and stuff how big do you think game instals will get

kyliethicc

Again do you think any PS4 game looks that much better than infamous or Driveclub?
Just 1st party alone there's:

Uncharted 4
Uncharted The Lost Legacy
The Last of Us Part II
God of War
Gran Turismo Sport
Horizon Zero Dawn
Spider-man
Spider-man Miles Morales
Death Stranding
Ghost of Tsushima
Detroit Become Human
The Order 1886

And of course the upcoming trio of Horizon Forbidden West, GT7, and God of War 2.

Just 1st party alone there's:

Uncharted 4
Uncharted The Lost Legacy
The Last of Us Part II
God of War
Gran Turismo Sport
Horizon Zero Dawn
Spider-man
Spider-man Miles Morales
Death Stranding
Ghost of Tsushima
Detroit Become Human
The Order 1886

And of course the upcoming trio of Horizon Forbidden West, GT7, and God of War 2.
Yeah none of those look that much better. Sure better, but meh not that much. I'd argue the order as a first year title even though it missed it and I don't think any PS4 game looks better.

Gonna add an edit of please actually read the post before replying. No none of the games listed look that much better than infamous or Driveclub and especially not the order. Your devs need to learn the master the hardware is a fallacy.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Why's that?

Sure it looks a bit better. Cleaner. ND just better at visuals I guess. I wouldn't say tlou2 looks much if ever so slightly better than uncharted 4. More fair to compare same studio. Same with ghosts looks better than infamous. I much prefer the art but technically only a bit.
A bit better? 😂😂😂

Are you really being honest or serious?

inFamous and TLOU2 are not even in the same graphical league.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Yeah none of those look that much better. Sure better, but meh not that much. I'd argue the order as a first year title even though it missed it and I don't think any PS4 game looks better.

Gonna add an edit of please actually read the post before replying. No none of the games listed look that much better than infamous or Driveclub and especially not the order. Your devs need to learn the master the hardware is a fallacy.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Hot Sauce Crying GIF by First We Feast: Hot Ones

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Md Ray

Why's that?

Sure it looks a bit better. Cleaner. ND just better at visuals I guess. I wouldn't say tlou2 looks much if ever so slightly better than uncharted 4. More fair to compare same studio. Same with ghosts looks better than infamous. I much prefer the art but technically only a bit.
What are you even trying to prove here?

W Werewolfgrandma he beat me to your answer.

Also regarding the above statements we all can see who hasn't experienced the games you are comparing.

Plastic love
I actually played or watched my kids play most of those games. I don't enjoy 3rd person cinematic adventure games so I hadn't played any uncharted since the second or tlou2, but I watched my oldest play the remaster and tlou2 and uncharted 4. Also my wife is real
Wrong about what? Remind me what were we conversing about last time?
Nvme isn't necessary for Ratchet with PS3 visuals on PS4.

S0ULZB0URNE

I actually played or watched my kids play most of those games. I don't enjoy 3rd person cinematic adventure games so I hadn't played any uncharted since the second or tlou2, but I watched my oldest play the remaster and tlou2 and uncharted 4. Also my wife is real
Wife is real?

Md Ray

Nvme isn't necessary for Ratchet with PS3 visuals on PS4.
Well, you're wrong. The internal SSD/NVMe is just one piece of the puzzle. Even the PS5 with just its SSD would be useless... The SSD alone cannot pull off what it has been able to pull off in Rift Apart. There's heavy reliance on other aspects of the I/O like hardware kraken decompression unit, new storage API, etc. to pull off those instant level switching/loading in Rift Apart.

Last edited:
Well, you're wrong. The internal SSD/NVMe is just one piece of the puzzle. Even the PS5 with just its SSD would be useless... The SSD alone cannot pull off what it has been able to pull off in Rift Apart. There's heavy reliance on other parts of the I/O like hardware kraken decompression unit, new storage API, etc. to pull off those instant level switching/loading in Rift Apart.
See you can't even follow along.

How much data you expecting to see on screen at any one time? Yeah the SSD Will stream it incredibly fast but in real terms how much do you really think? And if the SSD in ps5 is gonna be maxed out streaming assists and stuff how big do you think game instals will get

Well I also believe that's also one of the goals with the Velocity Architecture. So not necessarily exclusive to the PS5.

Sorry that I forgot to mention Xbox with that comment.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Hmm. Infamous Second Son is one of my favorite games of all time and I love the art and graphics and lighting effects, but come on man, it was a near-launch PS4 game. It still looks great, but ND's later works far exceed its visuals.

Neo_game

Could you use a worse example for Xbox? Maybe not a cross gen game that is at best alright looking. You supposed to pick the best looking games. Again do you think any PS4 game looks that much better than infamous or Driveclub, or Xbox game better then Ryse?
Edit
Ghosts is arguably the best looking ps4 game, but does it look that much better than infamous?
Edit 2
Seriously go look at how great infamous looks.

The power remains the same but modification to gfx engine, different rendering techniques, optimisation make a considerable difference. We have seen this in all generation of console. I think the difference now is that we already have reached pretty good level in terms of visuals. So gameplay, VR is more important factor now IMO.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Well I also believe that's also one of the goals with the Velocity Architecture. So not necessarily exclusive to the PS5.

Sorry that I forgot to mention Xbox with that comment.

that doesn’t answer the question? How do you see the ps5 SSD being maxed out while playing a game? Like literally what’s gonna be streaming 5 gig of data a second while playing a game? Yeah load times obviously gonna be massively quicker but constant streaming of assets at 5gig I don’t see happening this gen. I could be wrong but I just can’t see it yet and the game install sizes would be ridiculous

sinnergy

that doesn’t answer the question? How do you see the ps5 SSD being maxed out while playing a game? Like literally what’s gonna be streaming 5 gig of data a second while playing a game? Yeah load times obviously gonna be massively quicker but constant streaming of assets at 5gig I don’t see happening this gen. I could be wrong but I just can’t see it yet and the game install sizes would be ridiculous
Yup, see them reactions to COD Vanguard size … now imagine all the storage needed for constant 5 gig streaming 🤣 GAF would implode .

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yup, see them reactions to COD Vanguard size … now imagine all the storage needed for constant 5 gig streaming 🤣 GAF would implode .

I really wonder what will use it to its full potential, yeah I can see loading levels at 5 gig maybe and being super fast compared to Xbox but in terms of actual assets getting streamed I can’t see nothing using 5gig. Would be having games twice the size of cod for that.

Like I said am happy to be wrong with that but I dont think we are there yet and won’t be for this gen as SSD size would need to be huge for it even with compression techniques we got today

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Whoever thinks that we have already peaked with PS5's SSD is clueless. Here's a former tech art director at Naughty Dog explaining what it takes to render detailed graphics at the end of a console's lifecycle when you're hitting the limits of slow storage.

agree with all that but what do you think will maximise the full speed of the SSD while streaming the assets?

just think game install sizes will be beyond massive if we get to that point this gen.

look at Cod and that is nowhere near maximising any SSD on either console.

don’t get me wrong I am excited to see what they will do but I think the biggest change will just be in loading the games and levels itself

GHG

Gold Member
agree with all that but what do you think will maximise the full speed of the SSD while streaming the assets?

just think game install sizes will be beyond massive if we get to that point this gen.

look at Cod and that is nowhere near maximising any SSD on either console.

don’t get me wrong I am excited to see what they will do but I think the biggest change will just be in loading the games and levels itself

Install size does not go up linearly with asset quality.

COD is over double in size compared to most other AAA games. Was COD the best looking game last gen?

Last edited:

I'm wondering how much smaller it's going to be on the PS5. That's if they use Kraken and combine it with Oodles Textures. And even then I'm curious as to why the last COD game has such a huge install size.

With the PS5 and Series?

You need a lot of overhead to accomplish JIT rendering tasks. So while a game might not need those 5Gb/s of compressed data there still needs to be an overhead to successfully accomplish JIT rendering.

No idea why your just assuming that the PS5 is only capable of this when the Velocity Architecture was designed for it as well. Both systems are going to be streaming in a lot of data in the near future.

Edit:

Also just something that I find interesting is that Cerny's talk about memory management can also apply to the Series consoles as well and I believe it was talked about regarding the Velocity Architecture.

20200329140011.jpg

I think that makes it pretty obvious why having plenty of speed is important for good memory management. It's also why you need that overhead since you want the data to arrive before the rest of the system even needs it.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Install size does not go up linearly with asset quality.

COD is over double in size compared to most other AAA games. Was COD the best looking game last gen?
Look at the difference last gen when we got the new consoles and we had to instal the 4k texture packs that was sometimes 20 extra gigs. If we’re talking the same asset quality as the unreal demo which was 8k that be huge on the instals don’t you think

Look at the difference last gen when we got the new consoles and we had to instal the 4k texture packs that was sometimes 20 extra gigs. If we’re talking the same asset quality as the unreal demo which was 8k that be huge on the instals don’t you think
People here don't like to answer questions, they really just say the same thing over and over regardless of its relevance to what you are saying. I think they take every comment as a Warrior comment and feel the need to defend something. Like I always say if you ain't fellatin, you hatin.

I think that's why there's a focus on new compression techniques from both companies. They pretty much know installs are going to get bigger but they can mitigate some of that with better compression.

People here don't like to answer questions, they really just say the same thing over and over regardless of its relevance to what you are saying. I think they take every comment as a Warrior comment and feel the need to defend something. Like I always say if you ain't fellatin, you hatin.

I don't think these advancements are just limited to the PS5 but it can be applied to the Series consoles as well. There's no denying that these SSDs are much faster than what previous systems had. It's only logical that improvements will extend beyond just better load times. I don't believe these companies would have invested in them if they weren't worth it.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It was FUD btw.

The actual size is 75GB (XB1) and 95GB (Series).

The link with 270GB (Ultimate package) list the packages included in 270GB… it combines the package of the Series game (95GB), XB1 demo (~50GB), Series demo (~50GB), 5 expansions/DLC (~75GB).

I'm wondering how much smaller it's going to be on the PS5. That's if they use Kraken and combine it with Oodles Textures. And even then I'm curious as to why the last COD game has such a huge install size.
Probably around 60GB if they are using the devkit APIs to compress data.

Last edited:
It was FUD btw.

The link with 270GB (Ultimate package) list the packages included in 270GB… it combines the package of the Series game (95GB), XB1 demo (~50GB), Series demo (~50GB), 5 expansions/DLC (~75GB).

Didn't know that about Vanguard. Under 100GBs seems normal to me. And yes the PS5 version will probably be a little less than the XSX version.

sinnergy

It was FUD btw.

Can be FUD, but just imagine install sizes with constant 5 GB streaming 🤣

Tripolygon

Banned
Can be FUD, but just imagine install sizes with constant 5 GB streaming 🤣
That is the wrong way to look at this. A game is just a package of shaders, textures, geometry, audio, texts, code etc. Each level can reuse from the same set of package of textures, geometry, audio, texts, code, etc. Level 1 can still use same textures, geometry etc as Level 20 even though visually they might appear different. Though the storage can load 5GB/s, it will still be loading from the same package of shaders, textures, geometry, audio, texts, code etc. A storage that is capable of more throughput loads from that same package but much faster assuming there is not a bottleneck somewhere. Each second of gameplay is not loading unique data, you would just be unloading and reloading data as needed from the same pool of game package of arbitrary size.

I seriously recommend people watch this GDC talk on data management with games.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So, can we take this as a good sign that we can leave the NVMe slot off for larger heat sinks?

So this is another indication that Sony could have saved some fabrication costs if they have gone with a lower spec internal storage? I wonder why Sony decided on that. Perhaps left overs from another product they were developing?
You do realize that for any possible Pro version...Sony might not have to raise the specs of the internal drive besides the storage amount....

They have literally future proofed the PS5 wrt the internal SSD. Its already not selling at a loss....seems to me Sony, Cerny did very good with their calculations, design of the PS5.

And now that I've read the thread....omg....the usual suspects with the "concern' and downplaying....

Like clock work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom