• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Dying Light 2 : Performance Patch update Analysis - 60fps & more - Series X | S

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

By Michael Thompson

With Dying Light 2 receiving a new patch on Friday that offers up new modes for the Series X and Series S. 60fps, visual increases and some sacrifices to get the balance right. Here I take look into each mode and discuss the pros and cons, including what is going on with that new modes Image Quality.

Last edited:
It's already a sad state of affairs that the game launched without a 1440p/60 mode on next gen consoles, but if this performance patch is only made for Series X because of "vrr or because it's the more powerful machine", whatever the excuse will probably be, I'm gonna be pissed!

I understand sacrifices having to be made for certain games, like say Forbidden Wests fidelity mode or even Guardians of the Galaxy being limited to 60, but those games are at the cutting edge of graphics so far this gen. Dying Light 2, while a beautiful game in its own right at high resolutions/with effects set to max/with RT at 1440p or above, it is not pushing anything in performance mode as of right now..

I'm seriously annoyed at the lack of competence on display recently from certain developers,, namely DL2 on ps5 and even worse Elden Ring which is a stuttery mess STILL!

Dying Light 1 next gen version looks BETTER than DL2 thanks to it being 1440p/60.
. I know it's not as demanding but these games NEED at least 1440p/60 to shine it! I've been playing a bunch of PS5 games lately at 30 fps just to get a proper "next gen" looking game which sucks on Oled. Spiderman, Ratchet, Forbidden west, dying light 2, and Guardians. Three of those at least give me a way to play at 1440/60 at minimally reduced settings (FW's image quality is suspect though).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's already a sad state of affairs that the game launched without a 1440p/60 mode on next gen consoles, but if this performance patch is only made for Series X because of "vrr or because it's the more powerful machine", whatever the excuse will probably be, I'm gonna be pissed!

I understand sacrifices having to be made for certain games, like say Forbidden Wests fidelity mode or even Guardians of the Galaxy being limited to 60, but those games are at the cutting edge of graphics so far this gen. Dying Light 2, while a beautiful game in its own right at high resolutions/with effects set to max/with RT at 1440p or above, it is not pushing anything in performance mode as of right now..

I'm seriously annoyed at the lack of competence on display recently from certain developers,, namely DL2 on ps5 and even worse Elden Ring which is a stuttery mess STILL!

Dying Light 1 next gen version looks BETTER than DL2 thanks to it being 1440p/60.
. I know it's not as demanding but these games NEED at least 1440p/60 to shine it! I've been playing a bunch of PS5 games lately at 30 fps just to get a proper "next gen" looking game which sucks on Oled. Spiderman, Ratchet, Forbidden west, dying light 2, and Guardians. Three of those at least give me a way to play at 1440/60 at minimally reduced settings (FW's image quality is suspect though).

I don't think this patch has anything to do with VRR, this will definitely come to PS5. I have no doubts.

Power difference isn’t that huge between the two. Something like this should be possible on the PS5.

adamsapple

Quick little TL:DR

- Series S adds Performance mode.
- Perf mode: 900p with effect reduction.
- Upscaling is nearest neighbor so it can create jaggies and shimmering.
- AO, shadow maps, cascades, GI quality, texture filtering is reduced to reach that 60 FPS target.
- Series S does a decent job of 60 FPS, with mild tearing.
- Does a good job of running well in both modes now.
- General combat and traversal are solid, not fully locked, can cause drops to 33 ms and frame time judder during combat.
- NX thinks it's a great boost to performance and should have been there at launch.

- Series X adds Balanced mode
- 1296p with no signs of DRS. 44% higher than 1080p.
- Better AO than Performance mode in Balanced mode.
- NX Gamer thinks it looks pretty close to Quality mode in many cases.
- Still uses nearest neighbor, but more stable than Series S.
- 60 FPS lock is kept pretty good, with light tearing in stressful sections.
- SX did not drop a single frame in NXGamer's testing.
- However NX noted that the game can run into some glitches where the textures stretch to impossible levels across the screen (visual glitches) which also causes performance to start dropping, changing resolution/performance mode or reloading save fixes this.

So based on this video NXGamer makes it sound like the Balanced mode is a pretty decent improvement over base Performance mode on Series X at least. He encountered minimal tearing and frame rate was locked to 60 FPS In his testing.

In general he was very positive about the update through out the video, even on Series S and the graphical reductions.

Last edited:

elliot5

Balanced seems the best way to play for most people on XSX and if you really want high framerates and have 120hz/VRR then performance is an alternative way.. Don't know why you'd bother with Quality or Resolution

Rikkori

NXGamer NXGamer Would've been great if you had shown a comparison with FSR as now it's left to the imagination of the viewer as to how it could look. Unless you don't have access to the PC version anymore.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They just need to revisit their upscaling technique and to chip away at further performance patches and this will end up being a top tier release. Good on Techland for revisiting and patching the game.

now bring it to ps5.

Mr Moose

- SX did not drop a single frame in NXGamer's testing.
Hmm... Did he say this himself? I had my volume off.
When I skimmed through the video I only noticed two short sections with a counter for the new mode.
Great since both machines support VRR, perfect experience all round.
Yeah, I fucking hate screen tearing all down the screen.
Small framerate dips aren't bad, but tearing...
i-hate-it-serious-face.gif

Banned
weird. in the VG Tech video it looked not as stable at all, which lead me to believe that only the Xbox SX is getting this mode and not the PS5 simply because the SX supports VRR and so you can easily counter the dips with that...

I'll just quote myself from the other thread ^^^

ethomaz

Banned
This mode is really bad.
Less than 75% of time reaching the target framerate can not be called stable in any case if he really said that in the video.
Plus the IQ is not good with a lot of tearing and pixel issues.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Seems like he found performance better than VGtech, looks like the best way to play on console.

Banned
This mode is really bad.
Less than 75% of time reaching the target framerate can not be called stable in any case if he really said that in the video.
Plus the IQ is not good with a lot of tearing and pixel issues.

the mode is perfectly fine if you play with VRR, hence the PS5 doesn't get it. also in this video it seems to be pretty stable. seems like the VG tech video really wen't through all the stressful sections

fatmarco

I still can't understand that upscaling technique they're using. It makes everything look miles worse.

Dying Light 1 runs at 1536x1080 on the Xbox One, and while that is slightly higher than the 900p of the Series S version of Dying Light 2, it looks miles better from an image clarity point of view.

900p usually looks soft when games have used it previously, not a pixelated mess like this.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Seems like he found performance better than VGtech, looks like the best way to play on console.
How the hell do you know what's the opinion about performance by VGTech? It's just provided the data lol and it is what it is. And how worst fps fixed with VRR is the best way to play a game on console?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Hmm... Did he say this himself? I had my volume off.
When I skimmed through the video I only noticed two short sections with a counter for the new mode.

Yep, this is his quote with a word or two paraphrased:

" In terms of the SX version that already had a 60 FPS performance mode and that was pretty much locked, infact in all modes performance was exceptional, it was great. But what they've done now is managed to tweak it a bit more and get a little bit more out of the hardware. So, like I said we've got higher resolution but we've still kept 60 FPS with better effects and again it's completely locked. I didn't catch any tearing in these section, it lightly tears but it'd be in very stressful sections that it does, but overall the 60 FPS performance in balance mode is cracking"

and then he talks about the texture warping issues that can cause performance to dip, that only happens when that glitch manifests, and you

Time stamped:

Last edited:

adamsapple

How the hell do you know what's the opinion about performance by VGTech? It's just provided the data lol and it is what it is. And how worst fps fixed with VRR is the best way to play a game on console?

NXGamer recommends the Balanced mode in his video over Performance mode and he seems to have ran into a lot less issues than VGTech did.

He does however point out that when you get the issue with the texture vertices it drops performance and causes extra tearing until you either reload check point or change performance/balance mode in settings and vice versa.

Maybe VGTech's recorded section had that issue which causes more drops in performance than NXGamer saw ?

I have seen that texture vertices issue in my play through once or twice as well and reloading the check point fixed it.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
NXGamer recommends the Balanced mode in his video over Performance mode and he seems to have ran into a lot less issues than VGTech did.

He does however point out that when you get the issue with the texture vertices it drops performance until you either reload check point or change performance/balance mode in settings and vice versa.

Maybe VGTech's recorded section had that issue which causes more drops in performance than NXGamer saw ?

I have seen that texture vertices issue in my play through once or twice as well and reloading the check point fixed it.
Can I have a different opinion than NXG this time? From my personal experience VGTech is more reliable to spot such problematic, nothing against NX job. Game it's fine until you not engage a combat or multiple NPCs. Then FPS problems are really visible. That's what VGTech shows. Furthermore I really don't see all this magnificent benefit in such resolution. It's not that immediately noticeable as the math boost suggest. Imo.

Last edited:

Lysandros

Power difference isn’t that huge between the two. Something like this should be possible on the PS5.
I know you love your superlatives but the word huge is (yet again) misplaced here, there is hardly 'any' power difference overall, only slight metric/throughput differences favoring either machine. At least based on specs and real world results. The mode's being currently exclusive to XSX doesn't have anything to do with power.

I know you love your superlatives but the word huge is (yet again) misplaced here, there is hardly 'any' power difference overall, only slight metric/throughput differences favoring either machine. At least based on specs and real world results. The mode's being currently exclusive to XSX doesn't have anything to do with power.

Oh I know the two are close. Just meant to say the difference isn't big enough they can't do that mode on the PS5. It's not like when they have a 120FPS mode on the XSX/PS5 version and then they exclude it from the XSS. That's what I meant.

Top Bottom