• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Control: Ultimate Edition Console Performance Review (PS5 & Xbox Series X|S)

assurdum

Banned
Now we have to analyse the "undertones" of the people reporting on these findings 👀.
Basically just an excuse to give people free reign to "feel" like somthing being reported is suspect because oooooh mysterious "undertones"
Aah such "mysterious" undertone, so impossible to spot it. I mean I can live with the DF partiality but Christ hearing every single fucking time the same persons use the same arguments, no no no grow up, it's not, only you noticed that, your phantasy, they are professional, child child.. But of course accuse neogaf to be the Sony fanboy reign, or blame Sony fanboy are the worst, engage stupid discussions using the console war tone, it's perfectly fine. How it works exactly? Only Sony fanboism can be noticed?

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Now that makes sense, as it can get pretty dark in some areas, and brightness isn't punchy but more like flat and pale. I thought it had a bad HDR.
Not sure what set you have but it’s always disappointing when my LG CX doesn’t flash up the HDR signal when starting a game. This is the first PS5 game I’ve seen that doesn’t have it, although in fairness it’s broken in some games that do (Cyberpunk).

Last edited:
Aah such "mysterious" undertone, so impossible to spot it. I mean I can live with the DF partiality but Christ hearing every single fucking time the same persons use the same arguments, no no no grow up, it's not, only you noticed that, your phantasy, they are professional, child child.. But of course accuse neogaf to be the Sony fanboy reign, or blame Sony fanboy are the worst, engage stupid discussions using the console war tone, it's perfectly fine. How it works exactly? Only Sony fanboism can be noticed?
Honestly they both pretty bad. 10th time saying this but more Sony fans means more Sony fanboys = more Sony fanboy noise. Now I'm not a fan of either console and if I was to buy one I'd buy a PlayStation and just might if price comes down enough and games I want to play goes up enough. I see very little bias from DF. That's not to say zero bias but it's spread between Sony, Xbox and PC and none enough to paint something negative or positive that shouldn't be.

To give you a perspective: Story telling is shit, character in the game are shit and make no sense, her story with her brother then suddenly she's working with the "so-called" enemies is as stupid as it gets.

The setup, concept itself is very intriguing. Gameplay is so enjoyable. I mean, zombies are still trending, so this game felt "fresh" to me.

I actually give it 9/10. Also the sub-stories are very interesting. Facial animations are worse than ME Andromeda. The world of this game is something you really need to see more in gaming, also it gave me some MGS1 vibes.

Now that makes sense, as it can get pretty dark in some areas, and brightness isn't punchy but more like flat and pale. I thought it had a bad HDR.
You liked the world? Man I really can’t get into it. And there’s something off about her animation in terms of fluidity, why can’t I mantle things it’s weird she can do all this other shit but can’t pull herself up a damn ledge.

Thirty7ven

Banned
What I don’t really get is there are like 10 next gen games total - and all are probably affected by Covid - this console gen has been one of the slowest starts I’ve ever witnessed - are we really thinking graphics won’t improve and be better on both consoles over the next two years? How is anyone even entertaining this competition at this particular point? It seems pointless they’re both essentially the same for the most part. Little resolution bump here, little frame drop here. I mean really who actually cares. No ones actually gonna know the real deal until much later in the generation.

It's part of fanboy culture in gaming to go to war. I get my licks in and have fun, I think most of us are just trolling a little bit to shake things up.

Fanboys holding on to the idea that power in consoles means anything towards the big picture are ignorant. All it takes is a glance at history to realize it.

If we were to look at cause consequence, a site like DF might sway a couple thousand people to shift from one platform to the other. Those people might influence another couple of hundred into doing the same. But really their larger impact is on console wars being fought on Twitter and Gaf, by people who have already decided what they will and what they won't buy. There's something to be said about it being useful for people on the fence for game A or B, but even then.

So yeah, you're right, it's basically meaningless. *Puts on fanboy helmet*

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Series X version has much better performance in 120hz mode, sometimes 20fps over PS5 and I think it was the Xbox which had the higher resolution in that mode. So yeah with VRR you're getting a far superior performance on Xbox and the response time is going to be worse on PS5 with all those dropped frames.
NtwwI5T.jpg

Doesn't surprise me that you took his video out context.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You liked the world? Man I really can’t get into it. And there’s something off about her animation in terms of fluidity, why can’t I mantle things it’s weird she can do all this other shit but can’t pull herself up a damn ledge.

See let's make it clear, it doesn't mean that if I liked it that I have a good taste and you don't, nor vice versa. Some games just happen to pull your interest more. Control with its world happened to pull my attention and hook me up to finish every side mission/DLC. Persona 5, one of the highest rated, most praised games, yet I can't stomach that game at all.

It's like with cars, you buy what suits you, doesn't make other cars shit (although Jeeps are shit, undebatable :lollipop_tears_of_joy: ).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not sure what set you have but it’s always disappointing when my LG CX doesn’t flash up the HDR signal when starting a game. This is the first PS5 game I’ve seen that doesn’t have it, although in fairness it’s broken in some games that do (Cyberpunk).

Mine seems to be having HDR on even though the game is not HDR, probably the same issue that some had with some movies that aren't HDR before an update. My tv is a 2016 budget Sony X70D 4K HDR LCD. I usually to have too much faith on third party HDR, as Sony always nails it with its first party, with RDR2 being the shittiest ever last gen. AC Valhalla though has a wonderful HDR, Ubisoft games in general on PS5 so far.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Im surprised I havent heard anything about the differences in black levels. PS5 crushes the blacks, unless I'm the only seeing this. XSX looks more detailed because of this. PS5 shot is on the right.

i am playing gow right now and i feel like im getting crushed blacks. can anyone confirm?

playing on the LG CX. I get the HDR pop up but it just doesnt look right.

FrankWza

i am playing gow right now and i feel like im getting crushed blacks. can anyone confirm?

If the game doesn’t support it try turning it off in the PS5 menu and see if it makes a difference. It’s forcing it and needs to be disabled

Loope

It's more embarrassing try to change the subject of the discussion because you can't counterpoint it, invoking more maturity to the other parts, when you are the first who likes so much to engage verbal fight with the Sony fanboism moking them repeatedly.
Nice try but no. You bunch act like entitled brats throughout the forum, It seems like the shoe fit to be honest. When you want to present your credentials and actually prove that you know more than the people you love to shit on, please do so. Until then, for me, you're just a salty sony fanboy.

Thats not the big focus here, what is is that NXGamer is making DF walk on eggshells from here on out. In otherwords DF will have to think twice before deciding to hide some important details or thier bias, this is all thanks to the big exposure NX has gotten through IGN, and i fucking love it 🤣
Ironic post considering the fact that DF forced NXGamer to do a photo mode comparison too. He just half-assed it by picking a scene where the XSX caps out at 60.

Last edited:
Thats not the big focus here, what is is that NXGamer is making DF walk on eggshells from here on out. In otherwords DF will have to think twice before deciding to hide some important details or thier bias, this is all thanks to the big exposure NX has gotten through IGN, and i fucking love it 🤣

The only thing nx is doing is amusing people with what a smatterer he is and what an amateur he is, not unlike a regular forum poster pretending he knows what he's saying. Not that he wasnt called for not knowing what hes talking about for years and years. Now he finds "double reflections" in his pursuit to cocksuck sony and playstation

Last edited:
It’s a known “bug” that might be a consequence of the latest PS5 update.

This is the first I have heard of this. Is there discussion about this going on somewhere in here?

Are other games affected by crushed blacks after the latest PS5 update, or just Control? I did notice it in Control but it didn't hurt my experience too much. I haven't noticed it in any other game I have played since the update.

I mean does it?

You can prove that the double reflection statement is wrong yourself in about 2 minutes (all machines have double reflections just the PS5 is rendering one of the reflections at totally the wrong distance).

Also his claim that the PS5 is faster than a 2070s in the 'photomode benchmark' doesn't seem at all right. At console settings on an undervolted, underclocked 2070s I can't get that scene to drop below 60fps in photomode. He said himself that there is no CPU load at all really so it can't be my faster CPU right? So either the CPU does make a difference and this particular claim is wrong or his overclocked 2070 isn't as close to a 2070s as he thinks.

LhAS7Lp.jpg

w4QrV7f.jpg

Does this mean he is bias...nope. His videos are interesting and with a lot of the stuff he's just having to take educated guesses. I'm sure you could find mistakes in analysis videos from anyone you can find on YouTube but putting people on a pedestal is silly imo.

Last edited:

Zathalus

He reached all the same conclusions as DF did, so why exactly do they need to walk on eggshells again?

assurdum

Banned
Nice try but no. You bunch act like entitled brats throughout the forum, It seems like the shoe fit to be honest. When you want to present your credentials and actually prove that you know more than the people you love to shit on, please do so. Until then, for me, you're just a salty sony fanboy.
No you act like as you are entitled of something and continue to judge and insult the other from the high who know what. Stop to insult people and go on with your life; avoid forum if you can't stand who have a different opinion. Thanks.

Last edited:

NXGamer

I mean does it?

You can prove that the double reflection statement is wrong yourself in about 2 minutes (all machines have double reflections just the PS5 is rendering one of the reflections at totally the wrong distance).

Also his claim that the PS5 is faster than a 2070s in the 'photomode benchmark' doesn't seem at all right. At console settings on an undervolted, underclocked 2070s I can't get that scene to drop below 60fps in photomode. He said himself that there is no CPU load at all really so it can't be my faster CPU right? So either the CPU does make a difference and this particular claim is wrong or his overclocked 2070 isn't as close to a 2070s as he thinks.

LhAS7Lp.jpg

w4QrV7f.jpg

Does this mean he is bias...nope. His videos are interesting and with a lot of the stuff he's just having to take educated guesses. I'm sure you could find mistakes in analysis videos from anyone you can find on YouTube but putting people on a pedestal is silly imo.
Well, not really as my video stated the SX has a bug on RT reflections (opaque it appears) that causes them to disappear or shift when at a specific frustum angle.

I then demonstrated that:-

-The dual planes on PS5 (Transparent and Opaque) clearly show up differently and then stated this (along with the SX bug) are not inherent to the Northlight engine and likely indicative of the dual API/Drivers the engine has to work with.
- As the Any hit shader ray may be the root cause, in that on PS5 it then calls a Transparent Reflection Draw Call to the BVH and then duplicates this again on the opaque reflection, thus we can clearly see 2 reflections very far apart and not perspective correct.​

- On the PC/SX using DXR then it may be that the shader hit on this follows a different/more efficient path and case a split Shader call that creates an offset/merged reflection within the Opaque surface point and nulls the transparent one.

I never stated right or wrong, I only stated a difference in the techniques/API's and thus results. Both of the above were and are true and present within the video.

I hope that explains it a little clearer.

Well, not really as my video stated the SX has a bug on RT reflections (opaque it appears) that causes them to disappear or shift when at a specific frustum angle.

-The dual planes on PS5 (Transparent and Opaque) clearly show up differently and then stated this (along with the SX bug) are not inherent to the Northlight engine and likely indicative of the dual API/Drivers the engine has to work with.
- As the Any hit shader ray may be the root cause, in that on PS5 it then calls a Transparent Reflection Draw Call to the BVH and then duplicates this again on the opaque reflection, thus we can clearly see 2 reflections very far apart and not perspective correct.​

- On the PC/SX using DXR then it may be that the shader hit on this follows a different/more efficient path and case a split Shader call that creates an offset/merged reflection within the Opaque surface point and nulls the transparent one.

I never stated right or wrong, I only stated a difference in the techniques/API's and thus results. Both of the above were and are true and present within the video.

I know this is pedantic and I'm not trying to be awkward but the wording in your video makes it sound like double reflections are only present on PS5 which isn't the case. I know it's not just me that has taken it this way as you can see in this thread that people have used that as a rally call to state the PS5 is doing more complex RT even if this isn't at all what you meant.

I know you can't be held responsible for what people take from your videos and my posts here aren't a criticism on you as I do watch and enjoy all your work. I've used you/this video (unfairly many would argue and that's fine) to point out that these videos aren't an exact science and that taking comments out of context (as many do with DF videos which again has nothing to do with you) is not helpful.

Loope

No you act like as you are entitled of something and continue to judge and insult the other from the high who know what. Stop to insult people and go on with your life; avoid forum if you can't stand who have a different opinion. Thanks.
Alright.I'm sorry if i insulted you, but asking for proof or that you have more knowledge than the people you're criticizing is not insulting in my opinion. Like i said, if i did insult you personally, then i'm sorry. I retract the salty sony fanboy, but i won't edit the post so not to seem that you're arguing without reason.

Last edited:
I know this is pedantic and I'm not trying to be awkward but the wording in your video makes it sound like double reflections are only present on PS5 which isn't the case. I know it's not just me that has taken it this way as you can see in this thread that people have used that as a rally call to state the PS5 is doing more complex RT even if this isn't at all what you meant.

I know you can't be held responsible for what people take from your videos and my posts here aren't a criticism on you as I do watch and enjoy all your work. I've used you/this video (unfairly many would argue and that's fine) to point out that these videos aren't an exact science and that taking comments out of context (as many do with DF videos which again has nothing to do with you) is not helpful.
100% agreed. The video is worded like ps is doing more work then PC and that it's better. Fact is it's not doing more it's just doing it wrong.

assurdum

Banned
Alright.I'm sorry if i insulted you, but asking for proof or that you have more knowledge than the people you're criticizing is not insulting in my opinion. Like i said, if i did insult you personally, then i'm sorry. I retract the salty sony fanboy, but i won't edit the post so not to seem that you're arguing without reason.
I mean what proof we have to provide to you about what? About the DF partiality for example? Christ is everywhere, you not need to be a fanboy to spot it. The only person who I save is John Linneman, but man they act like cheerleader every time their favourite box win a face off, they put bolded title everywhere, what a beasty console, the higher resolution boost it's huuuuuge, their analysis are full of such expression but not when a playstation platform is involved. The coincidence. An another evidence? They released PS4 and the xone the same year and PS4 was ahead in perfomance and specs with lower price. Can you heard them say wow amazing effort by Sony or whatever, even just a single time? Nope. But when one X was released oh wow a more priced hardware released a year later outperform the other. Wut. When PS4 was ahead with the same margin, it was the fucking nothing for them and now that enthusiasm?

Last edited:

Fredrik

People need to stop with this biased and unbiased talk. I think NX once said that he has a preference and I’m sure Alex, Richard and John are the same, and everybody here is exactly the same as well even if we own all platforms known to man.
And it’s alright.

Honestly, I don’t even think it’s possible to be highly interested in something without preferring one thing over another for whatever reason, that would only show a lack of interest. Like I don’t care about what shoes are the best because I have zero interest in shoes. But ask me about guitars and I’ll have a strong opinion about every little detail and will probably hate something super popular for the most miniscule reason you never even realized anybody could care about.

This is exactly how it is with core gaming. We’re extreme tbh. Most people outside of the core gamer bubble wouldn’t for a second care about the differences seen in these comparisons, but here we are fighting over rare 5fps drops and double reflections you can barely even see as if it would completely break the game.

Once you take a step back and notice how silly we all are you’ll stop taking things so seriously. 🙃

People need to stop with this biased and unbiased talk. I think NX once said that he has a preference and I’m sure Alex, Richard and John are the same, and everybody here is exactly the same as well even if we own all platforms known to man.
And it’s alright.

Honestly, I don’t even think it’s possible to be highly interested in something without preferring one thing over another for whatever reason, that would only show a lack of interest. Like I don’t care about what shoes are the best because I have zero interest in shoes. But ask me about guitars and I’ll have a strong opinion about every little detail and will probably hate something super popular for the most miniscule reason you never even realized anybody could care about.

This is exactly how it is with core gaming. We’re extreme tbh. Most people outside of the core gamer bubble wouldn’t for a second care about the differences seen in these comparisons, but here we are fighting over rare 5fps drops and double reflections you can barely even see as if it would completely break the game.

Once you take a step back and notice how silly we all are you’ll stop taking things so seriously. 🙃

The problem isnt with a preference for something. Of course we all have them. Problem is when that preference morphs your views. Like how an extreme fetish for playstation or consoles in general leads you to say that low details for reflections somehow look better because they're more real. Or how the console build is running pretty much all low and turned off details for everything, at a lower resolution, but your infatuation with consoles makes you say how the powah of the ps5 is so awesome. Its so awesome that it can barelly run a 2 year old game. Stuff like this are the things people think when they claim bias, thats my take at least.

Oh, and with regards of this forum being hardcore. Nope. The complete opposite. Both this and reeera are some of the most casual forums you can find in the world. People talk about themselves at 1st person as if they're the most elite of the elite, but these 2 forums are mostly interested in the most casual, mainstream, AAA productions in existence. Just think how many people dont play an indie game just because its indie, or how many people have never touched a computer in their lives to game on.

Last edited:

martino

And it’s alright.

FrankWza

And it’s alright.

I think the joke is when people pretend they don’t do any warring of any kind. Why bother posting in any head to head then?
even worse is the “I have both “ poster that wars.
Just watch the video if you own both consoles and pick the one you want. Done. What’s the point of even discussing if you have both?

Fredrik

The problem isnt with a preference for something. Of course we all have them. Problem is when that preference morphs your views. Like how an extreme fetish for playstation or consoles in general leads you to say that low details for reflections somehow look better because they're more real. Or how the console build is running pretty much all low and turned off details for everything, at a lower resolution, but your infatuation with consoles makes you say how the powah of the ps5 is so awesome. Its so awesome that it can barelly run a 2 year old game. Stuff like this are the things people think when they claim bias, thats my take at least.

Oh, and with regards of this forum being hardcore. Nope. The complete opposite. Both this and reeera are some of the most casual forums you can find in the world. People talk about themselves at 1st person as if they're the most elite of the elite, but these 2 forums are mostly interested in the most casual, mainstream, AAA productions in existence. Just think how many people dont play an indie game just because its indie, or how many people have never touched a computer in their lives to game on.
I just don’t see why having a preference is such a big deal. Sure it may cause some toxic discussions to pop up if you’re giving a really harsh impression of something people really care about, but in the end of the day we’re still just sitting in this tiny bubble and argueing about which toy is the best, or will be the best.

On the other hand, I think it’s incredibly cool that I can sit up close to the north pole and talk to other gamers in another language on the other side of the planet about what I like in games. So I’m not trying to silence the talk, I love the board ❤️ But I think we’re too quick to start insulting people over having different opinions on unimportant details which honestly nobody in their right mind would even notice. I enjoy the comparisons since they can help me choose where to invest my money, but I think we can do better when we talk about them. This board is much better than other places but we’re still getting too emotional over minor things, NX and DF getting pretty much harassed over how they talk about the differences they notice is not normal as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:

Exanthus

Banned
I mean what proof we have to provide to you about what? About the DF partiality for example? Christ is everywhere, you not need to be a fanboy to spot it. The only person who I save is John Linneman, but man they act like cheerleader every time their favourite box win a face off, they put bolded title everywhere, what a beasty console, the higher resolution boost it's huuuuuge, their analysis are full of such expression but not when a playstation platform is involved. The coincidence. An another evidence? They released PS4 and the xone the same year and PS4 was ahead in perfomance and specs with lower price. Can you heard them say wow amazing effort by Sony or whatever, even just a single time? Nope. But when one X was released oh wow a more priced hardware released a year later outperform the other. Wut. When PS4 was ahead with the same margin, it was the fucking nothing for them and now that enthusiasm?

See let's make it clear, it doesn't mean that if I liked it that I have a good taste and you don't, nor vice versa. Some games just happen to pull your interest more. Control with its world happened to pull my attention and hook me up to finish every side mission/DLC. Persona 5, one of the highest rated, most praised games, yet I can't stomach that game at all.

It's like with cars, you buy what suits you, doesn't make other cars shit (although Jeeps are shit, undebatable :lollipop_tears_of_joy: ).
I mean I’m definitely not into persona 5 either that’s for sure

Elios83

DF is obviously biased towards Xbox. It's totally evident watching the tones in the videos, the words they choose, the different way they react to things and so on.
They're still professionals but the bias is absolutely there.
There is a reason only Xbox fans in these threads pretend not to see it and that's because it's good for them they act that way (at the same time they attack NXgamer and other people for not being positive enough towards Xbox though :messenger_grinning_sweat: )
And it's not a recent thing, evidence has added up for years since... the PS3 vs 360 days?
It's obvious they have a really good relationship with Microsoft, which is proved by the fact they were chosen as partners to make important hardware related annoucements. Something that Sony never considered to do with them.
They have been seriously surprised to see PS5 doing so well in multiplaform comparisons, if everything had gone according to plan the PS5 should have been already labeled as 'underpowered' but instead here we are, PS5 is doing at least as well and the editorial line is pretty much to downplay and quickly sweep under the carpet every PS5 advantage and cheerlead with carefully selected titles, tones and words everything that goes in Xbox favour.
The good thing is that times have changed, they can do whatever they want but there are many voices now and their results will always be compared to others.

Flutta

Banned
Ironic post considering the fact that DF forced NXGamer to do a photo mode comparison too. He just half-assed it by picking a scene where the XSX caps out at 60.
I mean he did the right thing. Why waste more time on Photo Mode? Thats not where the gameplay hoppens. NX did the right thing here. On the flip side you can clearly see why DF put so much effort on Photo Mode. 🤣

Arias05

Banned

people are confused with your statement that XSX and pc doesn’t have dual reflections. As shown by me and Alex pc and XSX have dual reflections and actually show it correctly. Ps5 has one reflection showing largely offset of another

Flutta

Banned
people are confused with your statement that XSX and pc doesn’t have dual reflections. As shown by me and Alex pc and XSX have dual reflections and actually show it correctly. Ps5 has one reflection showing largely offset of another
Who are confused? Xbois or Xbox fanboys?

FrankWza

I think what's been proven wrong is that the PS5 is vastly inferior. Basically that's what people were saying before it released.

Does that bother you?
This is the change that occurred. This was the shift. All the other small differences in head to heads don’t really matter because they were not even supposed to be in the same ballpark. The PS5 was basically going to be a bit better than the series s. Which, of course is one of the more ridiculous statements one can make. But that was the expected results. So, by being in these head to heads where there is even a debate on which looks better is incredible for Sony because they haven’t even scratched the surface on all their consistently critically acclaimed exclusives which also happen to be lauded for their performance and technical achievements.

Thirty7ven

Banned
This is the first I have heard of this. Is there discussion about this going on somewhere in here?

Are other games affected by crushed blacks after the latest PS5 update, or just Control? I did notice it in Control but it didn't hurt my experience too much. I haven't noticed it in any other game I have played since the update.

It was Dictator from DF that said só in the resetera thread.

It was Dictator from DF that said só in the resetera thread.

Oh I saw that, I didn't know that the PS5 System Update was suspected of causing crushed blacks, that's what I meant to ask. I have only noticed the crushed blacks in Control. If it was the system update I would have thought it affected more of my library.

No biggie either way, but that's what I meant.

edit

Also, Fuck Era.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Oh I saw that, I didn't know that the PS5 System Update was suspected of causing crushed blacks, that's what I meant to ask. I have only noticed the crushed blacks in Control. If it was the system update I would have thought it affected more of my library.

No biggie either way, but that's what I meant.

I haven’t noticed it personally, in other games I mean.

Last edited:

Hatsuma

This is the change that occurred. This was the shift. All the other small differences in head to heads don’t really matter because they were not even supposed to be in the same ballpark. The PS5 was basically going to be a bit better than the series s. Which, of course is one of the more ridiculous statements one can make. But that was the expected results. So, by being in these head to heads where there is even a debate on which looks better is incredible for Sony because they haven’t even scratched the surface on all their consistently critically acclaimed exclusives which also happen to be lauded for their performance and technical achievements.
I remember those days. Now if the game has any performance advantage on ps5, it is immediately treated as a bug or diminished by SeriesX VRR.
But if and when ps5 VRR arrives, then what?

It is fun to discuss, but no matter whichever has the advantage, it is generally slight. And that wasn't supposed to be the case.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Now if the game has any performance advantage on ps5, it is immediately treated as a bug or diminished by SeriesX VRR.
But if and when ps5 VRR arrives, then what?
As a PC gamer I can safely say that when PS5 gets VRR we’ll see thread after thread talking about how awesome it is and we’ll see people saying sorry to Riky Riky for not trusting him.
It is awesome. Go look for gsync hype threads, VRR is exactly that. It’s worth the hype, you literally won’t notice any smaller dips.

BUT!!
The problem with focusing so much on it right now is that it’ll cost you like $2000 to get it. That was never the case with gsync on PC, I payed about $500 for my ASUS 24-inch with gsync which had been factory modified for gsync because I was so early get it. So it’ll be an extremely niche and costy feature.

Also, most of us upgraded to 4K about 4 years ago when Pro and X arrived and already payed $1500+ to get a new TV. We’re not ready to upgrade yet.

It could be said that the previous TV upgrade was for 4K Bluray as well though, which makes the cost less problematic. But upgrading again this early will almost only be to get VRR and 120hz for consoles, which will essentially put the total cost for console gaming in the same ballpark as PC gaming.

In short, VRR is an awesome feature that we’ll be crazy about once we get it but I’m going to guess that most of us might not even have access to this tech during this whole generation.

DF is telling the truth when they say VRR will fix the stutters but so would they do if they talked about how smooth games run on a 3090 PC as well...

Hatsuma

As a PC gamer I can safely say that when PS5 gets VRR we’ll see thread after thread talking about how awesome it is and we’ll see people saying sorry to Riky Riky for not trusting him.
It is awesome. Go look for gsync hype threads, VRR is exactly that. It’s worth the hype, you literally won’t notice any smaller dips.

BUT!!
The problem with focusing so much on it right now is that it’ll cost you like $2000 to get it. That was never the case with gsync on PC, I payed about $500 for my ASUS 24-inch with gsync which had been factory modified for gsync because I was so early get it. So it’ll be an extremely niche and costy feature.

Also, most of us upgraded to 4K about 4 years ago when Pro and X arrived and already payed $1500+ to get a new TV. We’re not ready to upgrade yet.

It could be said that the previous TV upgrade was for 4K Bluray as well though, which makes the cost less problematic. But upgrading again this early will almost only be to get VRR and 120hz for consoles, which will essentially put the total cost for console gaming in the same ballpark as PC gaming.

In short, VRR is an awesome feature that we’ll be crazy about once we get it but I’m going to guess that most of us might not even have access to this tech during this whole generation.

DF is telling the truth when they say VRR will fix the stutters but so would they do if they talked about how smooth games run on a 3090 PC as well..
You more or less hit on the head. I'm not trying to dismiss VRR itself . But as you mentioned, it is really only available to the minority of 4k console gamers who upgraded their TV. I'm gonna finally get a 4k when Sony puts out the update, so this will be my first 4k that will be hdmi 2.1. But the majority still have hdmi 2.0 4ks or even 1080p. So too much focus is placed on a feature a large amount of player base don't have.

It is certainly a plus to have if your TV is capable of it. But it shouldn't be used in comparisons to dismiss advantages or disadvantages of the hardware for general gamers that may not have the feature. And damn, when both have access to VRR, the comparisons are going to be funny as hell from DF. I guess it is going to boil down to detail and resolution XD...

Last edited:

DJ12

BUT!!

DF is telling the truth when they say VRR will fix the stutters but so would they do if they talked about how smooth games run on a 3090 PC as well...
Vrr is never going to add missing frames.

It's good on pc as fps is generally north of 60 fps.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

have also ps5 and lg cx and many games are too dark (especialy in bc), probably you have to disable hdr or try to adjust brightness/gamma in game (using dynamic tone mapping in lg cx sometimes helps)

Last edited:
Top Bottom