• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Control: Ultimate Edition Console Performance Review (PS5 & Xbox Series X|S)

JimboJones

I would love if the job of some of you could be scrutinized like their is.Not talking about you, but it is fucking embarrassing when men in their 30's go all petty and shit remembering every single mistake as a gotcha moment. These people really need to grow the fuck up.
Now we have to analyse the "undertones" of the people reporting on these findings 👀.
Basically just an excuse to give people free reign to "feel" like somthing being reported is suspect because oooooh mysterious "undertones"

Loope

Now we have to analyse the "undertones" of the people reporting on these findings 👀.
Basically just an excuse to give people free reign to "feel" like somthing being reported is suspect because oooooh mysterious "undertones"
In my experience (which is not in this field, but still in engineering) people that talk so much shit about other, especially on technical discussions are usually the ones that shit the bed when they need to come upfront. Talking crap about other people jobs is easy, especially when you have backup from other foruns where you take all the information to make it look like you know your shit.

Now, i only game on PC but i reckon that these new consoles are interesting, and it is interesting to understand the differences (which are not as big as PS4-Xone). I understand posting in good fun, or troll a bit like that another one gif. I don't understand this persecution of people because they don't exarcebate their findings, at that point it's just being childish and petty.

I think the same about people that try to raise suspicions around NXGamer.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
"much better performance" (average 118.78 v 117.23) so much better and selective in that scene :messenger_squinting_tongue:

From one of your previous comments, I do find it odd that PS5 has worse shadows in Hitman 3, did they just up res the PS4 version or something? :pie_thinking: That game is a win for sure for the Series X, the drops it does have don't happen often enough for it to be a big advantage for PS5, though there's nothing wrong with 1800p, its in the "high enough" res, for me anyway though I don't own that game.
The odd thing about the drops on Series X is they seem to be transparency related and it's not the only game that's had issues like that.
Check this out though. I pulled him up about it, he didn't even try and give explanation other than trying to mock me by saying I caught him out. Timestamped.
What was he hiding before this clip

Last edited:
What I don’t really get is there are like 10 next gen games total - and all are probably affected by Covid - this console gen has been one of the slowest starts I’ve ever witnessed - are we really thinking graphics won’t improve and be better on both consoles over the next two years? How is anyone even entertaining this competition at this particular point? It seems pointless they’re both essentially the same for the most part. Little resolution bump here, little frame drop here. I mean really who actually cares. No ones actually gonna know the real deal until much later in the generation.

DJ12

These are the kind of things you do before you publish your article
Let the shit stick before quietly correcting it.

Evidence your honour:

Fifa 21 full 4k on Series S corrected in the comments of the video
Cod massive drops on ps5 compared to series X, in a much later video revealed to be borked drs meaning the ps5 was outputting a full 4k image during the drops not 1440p or whatever after restarting the checkpoint where the framerate remained locked at 60 or close there to. Only revealed as Alex wanted to shit on ps5 with a pc.

Theres probably more. Its late.

isoRhythm

Banned
I would love if the job of some of you could be scrutinized like their is.Not talking about you, but it is fucking embarrassing when men in their 30's go all petty and shit remembering every single mistake as a gotcha moment. These people really need to grow the fuck up.
I don't have anything against DF and scrutinizing them for tiny mistakes is dumb but it's different when their entire analysis turns out to be trash (just talking about BF4). They've come a long way since then obviously, but people shouldn't excuse that as "people make mistakes".

martino

You know the total cpu usage is the last number eh. So it's 38% vs 26.5%. but that wasn't really the point. The main thread usage is 70% vs 67% and that's what nxgamer is saying the issue is. Now if the main thread usage is only 3% different why would Xbox stutter during gameplay but have almost 60fps during photo mode?

PC ultimate edition just has the dlc as far as I can tell. It's already ultimate with RT and so on.
out of topic but if you don't plan to play with rt and you want to see really low cpu usage try DX11 version...load is nearly cut in half when stressed
edit : just in case not performance is better though :p (for example corridor of doom is 30 fps for dx11 and 58 fps dx12 )

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Can anyone point me to which of the videos - and at which part - we get to see how the frame-rate changes on PS5 gameplay - lowers then rises again ? because as far as I can remember, I've only seen the lower PS5 frame-rate as a straight line on the graph, which seems very odd, unless the engine has artificially capped the frame-rate at these exact spots, because it seems almost impossible that the frame-rate can drop in this way in a real scenario - and in a triple buffered setup the frame-pacing at a drop should throw off the straight line frame-rate drop, and become jittery around the drop. Unlike the XsX version where the drops look consistent with a triple buffered situation.

Between that odd frame-rate observation, and the game size being significantly smaller on the PS5 by using superior compression - yet apparently models/textures are identical across versions -it makes no sense that load times aren't even lowball performance of the IO complex, and even more suspect, still somehow slower than the inferior IO on the XsX. Short of Xbox having a "Better or equal" parity clause with Remedy that knee caps the PS5 version for such results it doesn't make any sense. If the latter part of the game that isn't being analysed performs differently in load times on PS5 or has superior assets latter on, then the loading and install size would make sense. But as is the facts as they are - from the game beginning analyses - are contradictory IMO.

Mr Moose

Check this out though. I pulled him up about it, he didn't even try and give explanation other than trying to mock me by saying I caught him out. Timestamped.
What was he hiding before this clip

The average fps? I think he might be doing it per map, not sure. Maybe near the start of the race where it tanks on PS5 on certain maps.

ethomaz

Banned
You mean to tell me they used their captured footage for the analysis and since it captured wrong they analysis was wrong? And then let me get this straight once they figured out it was wrong they fixed the article? Are you serious? I finally see the DF bias.

Holy shit yeah I guess you can spin it that way but it doesn't make it true.
They said it was late to fix the article I believe.

They did a QA after all the mess blaming Dark10x for telling people the capture was wrong.

Here the thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/df-j...-xb1-videos-screens-900p-ps4-720p-xb1.705961/

You will need to dig the middle of it to see when the others captures started to pop up and the DF was a “bit” off (PS4 capture was all crushed black)... then Darkx1 said the Tom capture was off.

The early thread everybody was talking about Xbox One superiority and not believe in hardware specs.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

And you figured this out based on your ample experience in game dev and software development from the University of Gaf? I suppose you have a masters in Xbox Discord and a PHD in google search as well, right?

I'll take my data from someone that actually knows what they're talking about, like NXG, and not yourself.

So u have no argument, like usual with clowns like you.

I don't google my stuff mate, i work with hardware for more then 2 decades if not longer actually and know all the ins and outs about it. This is why i laugh at tech youtubers all day long because they draw conclusions based on stuff they don't even understand. The same goes for nxgamer.

I will repeat it again.

Nxgamer does not know what the PS5 cpu is running on its first thread or let alone any other thread taxation with the game. That cpu can be sitting with 2 threads in the entire game at 100% he will have absolute no clue about it because its impossible for him to know as there is no software or information to detect this.

This is why DF pushes photo mode forwards to see performance differences for example and got slammed hard by idiots on forums that have no clue what the fuck they are even talking about and slam them hard for it.

Look i am the last guy that will defend DF or any tech youtuber for that part, but fuck the last topic was a carnival of stupid by the users here on gaf.

The fact he doesn't know this and then uses it as a argument as he desperate searches for something is basically where things falls appart.

Again as i said, he's just starting and for his first video at IGN its a solid effort and a nice watch, but the conclusion part he pushes forwards simple shows his lack of knowledge on the subjects.

Kenpachii

I believe you are misunderstanding what he's trying to say here.

Look at the CPU thread usage. One thread is particular is maxing out because the game is poorly optimized on CPUs. The reason why his 2700 suffers is because its not as fast as some of the more recent AMD cpus. the stuttering would happen anytime any CPU is maxed out. you likely wont see the stuttering on the newer 4.9 - 5.0 ghz CPUs but you will definitely see one thread being used more than the other. Alex saw those issues on PC too.

it's still an assumption, but a valid one based on the evidence presented.

I don't misunderstand what he says. i know what he says.

I am not talking about the performance of the 2700 cpu in comparison towards newer ryzen chips with obviously faster single core performance.

What i am talking about is that the architecture of the 2000 series chips and the 1000 series chips often camp with stutter issue's because there is basically no optimization for them in games. even DF encountered this multiple times in there video's. Hell forums are riddled with this problem specially when the cpu's came out and from the last time i readed a year ago it was still very much a thing.

Its such a well known problem that somebody in the loop should probably have picked this up. or he straight up just knows it and selected that cpu specifically to make a point to further his argument even while there is no argument because its based on baseless assumptions.

If he would have done the benchmark correctly he should have benched the game on multiple pc architectures which as he works for IGN now should have access towards i assume. Now because i understand its his first video and it takes a bunch of effort and time and all of that, i can see why he didn't do it and understand it which i said its a good video non the less even while his conclusions are simple not correct because he simple has no way of knowing this. Which is also why by the way DF started to use photo mode to basically try to benchmark the game for the consoles as they cannot run software on the box itself to showcase what it's actually doing without the vsync caps even while the information is limited in what they see there.

What % the first core uses and what % the other cores uses isn't really much a argument of badly optimized specially not when most budget patota cpu's on PC run the game perfectly fine at 60+ fps minimums. I would say its very well optimized on the CPU front.

Last edited:
Downloaded > Tried playing several mins > deleted.
Maybe not my type even it's free on PS5 (plus). :messenger_loudly_crying:

bette davis judging you GIF

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
The average fps? I think he might be doing it per map, not sure. Maybe near the start of the race where it tanks on PS5 on certain maps.
Yes the average, this is the video with the latest patch I compared it to. Start of the race same track 120hrz. The main point here is you can twist these videos to suit your audience. Now I'm not here to slag him I like his stuff but I would have expected a better explanation than him mocking me. It just made him seem guilty to me.

Timestamped

Im surprised I havent heard anything about the differences in black levels. PS5 crushes the blacks, unless I'm the only seeing this. XSX looks more detailed because of this. PS5 shot is on the right.

PaintTinJr

Im surprised I havent heard anything about the differences in black levels. PS5 crushes the blacks, unless I'm the only seeing this. XSX looks more detailed because of this. PS5 shot is on the right.

Where exactly are you seeing crushed blacks in that picture - if you matched the blacks and highlights in both pictures?

Kagey K

Banned
The only thing worse than people sitting around playing old games , is people that botch about people playing old games.

What else are they supposed to play right now?

Now somehow it’s a bad thing that MS did better for people that want to play those games?

Like Sony gets a pass, because they don’t want to play those, while waiting for new stuff to play.

If I could only play Series X/PS5 games and nothing else, I’d have been fucked 2 months ago and I only play 2 days per week.

Anyone dismissing other enhancements, are lying to themselves over and over again.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
The only thing worse than people sitting around playing old games , is people that botch about people playing old games.

What else are they supposed to play right now?

Now somehow it’s a bad thing that MS did better for people that want to play those games?

Like Sony gets a pass, because they don’t want to play those, while waiting for new stuff to play.

If I could only play Series X/PS5 games and nothing else, I’d have been fucked 2 months ago and I only play 2 days per week.

Anyone dismissing other enhancements, are lying to themselves over and over again.

This thread is about Control which is a native app on PS5/XSX.

PaintTinJr

Actually looks more crushed on XSX.
EtuIlwtU0AEPLhF
EtuIylhVIAARrXn

Looking at them at full picture, it actually looks like a difference in the lighting models. The lighting falloff on the XsX looks linear - rather than exponent - compared to the PS5 image, and it looks like real-time shadowing is missing on the partition directly to the left of the pillar - half way into the screen, but could still just be the different angle and contrast/brightness.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

To give you a perspective: Story telling is shit, character in the game are shit and make no sense, her story with her brother then suddenly she's working with the "so-called" enemies is as stupid as it gets.

The setup, concept itself is very intriguing. Gameplay is so enjoyable. I mean, zombies are still trending, so this game felt "fresh" to me.

I actually give it 9/10. Also the sub-stories are very interesting. Facial animations are worse than ME Andromeda. The world of this game is something you really need to see more in gaming, also it gave me some MGS1 vibes.

There is no HDR. Not sure how that happens in 2021 but it’s true.

Now that makes sense, as it can get pretty dark in some areas, and brightness isn't punchy but more like flat and pale. I thought it had a bad HDR.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
To give you a perspective: Story telling is shit, character in the game are shit and make no sense, her story with her brother then suddenly she's working with the "so-called" enemies is as stupid as it gets.

The setup, concept itself is very intriguing. Gameplay is so enjoyable. I mean, zombies are still trending, so this game felt "fresh" to me.

I actually give it 9/10. Also the sub-stories are very interesting. Facial animations are worse than ME Andromeda. The world of this game is something you really need to see more in gaming, also it gave me some MGS1 vibes.

The levels are boring and the game play loop is dull. It's better than Quantum Break but I'd take Alan Wake any day of the week and I really dislike Alan Wake (love you though, Barry!).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The levels are boring and the game play loop is dull. It's better than Quantum Break but I'd take Alan Wake any day of the week and I really dislike Alan Wake (love you though, Barry!).

Well, let's not spoil that part. :messenger_winking_tongue: Didn't play Quantum Break, and yes it feels somehow similar, so I get that. It's like when I said that I loved ME Andromeda a lot people considered it a blasphemy in gaming, but I never played a Mass Effect game before so I'm not attached to that Shepard guy to affect my experience.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Well, let's not spoil that part. :messenger_winking_tongue: Didn't play Quantum Break, and yes it feels somehow similar, so I get that. It's like when I said that I loved ME Andromeda a lot people considered it a blasphemy in gaming, but I never played a Mass Effect game before so I'm not attached to that Shepard guy to effect my experience.

If you want shitty game play, the original Mass Effect has that in spades.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't misunderstand what he says. i know what he says.

I am not talking about the performance of the 2700 cpu in comparison towards newer ryzen chips with obviously faster single core performance.

What i am talking about is that the architecture of the 2000 series chips and the 1000 series chips often camp with stutter issue's because there is basically no optimization for them in games. even DF encountered this multiple times in there video's. Hell forums are riddled with this problem specially when the cpu's came out and from the last time i readed a year ago it was still very much a thing.

Its such a well known problem that somebody in the loop should probably have picked this up. or he straight up just knows it and selected that cpu specifically to make a point to further his argument even while there is no argument because its based on baseless assumptions.

If he would have done the benchmark correctly he should have benched the game on multiple pc architectures which as he works for IGN now should have access towards i assume. Now because i understand its his first video and it takes a bunch of effort and time and all of that, i can see why he didn't do it and understand it which i said its a good video non the less even while his conclusions are simple not correct because he simple has no way of knowing this. Which is also why by the way DF started to use photo mode to basically try to benchmark the game for the consoles as they cannot run software on the box itself to showcase what it's actually doing without the vsync caps even while the information is limited in what they see there.

What % the first core uses and what % the other cores uses isn't really much a argument of badly optimized specially not when most budget patota cpu's on PC run the game perfectly fine at 60+ fps minimums. I would say its very well optimized on the CPU front.

NX's suppositions are reasonable, and even if he's inaccurate his logic is sufficiently sound that he's likely in the right ballpark.

Based on demonstrable evidence the SX/SS builds suffer from stalling. Something, or a combination of things is gumming up the engine pipeline periodically causing frame-rate to drop momentarily. The pure rasterization test using the photo-mode shows that the game has plenty of headroom for rendering the scene even with RT active, so it follows that issues affecting the 60fps mode are not due to this.

The two most logical causes are then i/o issues (DMA stalls for instance) or the cpu bottlenecking at a critical section in the engine; now given the bus bandwidth discrepancy between SX and SS, you'd expect a worse result from the lesser hardware if the former was true but that doesn't appear to be the case. This leaves the cpu-side as the most likely culprit, with the measured load on the PC cores acting as circumstantial proof that the engine can end up heavily loading at least 1 thread... and as I mentioned with critical sections, one thread getting overloaded is enough to stall the whole pipeline.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

It’s a known “bug” that might be a consequence of the latest PS5 update. Remedy has said to be aware of it and looking into it.

Wonder how Riky feels about this though, two generations of crushed blacks on Xbox and arguing that higher contrast makes it pop, the boy must be struggling.

assurdum

Banned
It's more embarrassing try to change the subject of the discussion because you can't counterpoint it, invoking more maturity to the other parts, when you are the first who likes so much to engage verbal fight with the Sony fanboism moking them repeatedly.

Last edited:

Schmick

What I don’t really get is there are like 10 next gen games total - and all are probably affected by Covid - this console gen has been one of the slowest starts I’ve ever witnessed - are we really thinking graphics won’t improve and be better on both consoles over the next two years? How is anyone even entertaining this competition at this particular point? It seems pointless they’re both essentially the same for the most part. Little resolution bump here, little frame drop here. I mean really who actually cares. No ones actually gonna know the real deal until much later in the generation.
This type of logic does not exist in NeoGaf.

martino

still cool to see how things compare
problem is seeing from the warring side of thing gloating and/or building fallacious narrative from twisted part of it.

Riky

$MSFT
It’s a known “bug” that might be a consequence of the latest PS5 update. Remedy has said to be aware of it and looking into it.

Wonder how Riky feels about this though, two generations of crushed blacks on Xbox and arguing that higher contrast makes it pop, the boy must be struggling.
I haven't been in any of those discussions, bring the quotes or you're a liar.

Top Bottom