• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Control: Ultimate Edition Console Performance Review (PS5 & Xbox Series X|S)

JimboJones

Can't never forget how 900p was a touch soft, almost pleasant hearing them, difference not dramatic to 1080p, better smoother fps. But when one X was released "oh wow extraordinary, look at this, look at this, oh my gosh that's huge, oooh" Christ they seem to have an orgasm at every face off. I really invite people who claim they are impartial to check the tone used in their analysis, when PS4 was ahead to Xbox one, because it never was like that.
Just went back and read their battlefield 4 face off, Xbox One got shit on.

Mr Moose

Series X version has much better performance in 120hz mode, sometimes 20fps over PS5 and I think it was the Xbox which had the higher resolution in that mode. So yeah with VRR you're getting a far superior performance on Xbox and the response time is going to be worse on PS5 with all those dropped frames.
NtwwI5T.jpg
"much better performance" (average 118.78 v 117.23) so much better and selective in that scene :messenger_squinting_tongue:

From one of your previous comments, I do find it odd that PS5 has worse shadows in Hitman 3, did they just up res the PS4 version or something? :pie_thinking: That game is a win for sure for the Series X, the drops it does have don't happen often enough for it to be a big advantage for PS5, though there's nothing wrong with 1800p, its in the "high enough" res, for me anyway though I don't own that game.
The odd thing about the drops on Series X is they seem to be transparency related and it's not the only game that's had issues like that.

So since I've now shown gameplay and photo mode have very similar cpu usage can we try and discuss other reasons for Xbox/sometimes PC stutter. My belief is still straight PC port for Xbox and if you gotta do more work for ps you might as well fix a few issues. Also explains why RT is same on Xbox and PC and file size is the same but rt and file size are different on PS. NXGamer NXGamer your way more knowledgeable then me. Any ideas?

ethomaz

Banned
Just went back and read their battlefield 4 face off, Xbox One got shit on.
How if DF did "mistook" the capture equipment making the PS4 version looks worst than Xbox One? PS4 was crushed by GAFers with a fake comparison.
They took over a week to release the updated article.

I won't even talk about the CoD case lol

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Jesus, obviously still upset about it all these year later.
If you want to tell a story tell it right lol
DF was pretty biased in BF4 comparison in Xbox favor... they even claimed the Xbox One was the superior version and that it did not lacked in terms of GPU power like BF4 showed lol

"As you may notice in our screengrabs, the actual results on PS4 lack the corresponding level of crystal clarity we'd expect of such a significant resolution boost. This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image.

On the merits of what we've seen so far, Battlefield 4 is already set to be a formidable launch window effort from DICE. Our observations so far reveal a clear gap in fidelity between PC and PS4, and again to Xbox One, but sub-pixel break-up aside, based on what we've seen so far, the Microsoft console manages to hold up despite the undeniable, quantifiably worse metrics in terms of both resolution and frame-rate."

Imagine a 720p version being sharper than 900p version because the stellar magical scaling.
They were 100% sure about that.

Until everybody discovered they had captured the PS4 version wrong lol
Because everybody playing the game plus others sites started to made comparisons showing a way different and better version of the PS4 game.

Revisionist story 8 years late is really dumb.

Last edited:

DJ12

So since I've now shown gameplay and photo mode have very similar cpu usage can we try and discuss other reasons for Xbox/sometimes PC stutter. My belief is still straight PC port for Xbox and if you gotta do more work for ps you might as well fix a few issues. Also explains why RT is same on Xbox and PC and file size is the same but rt and file size are different on PS. NXGamer NXGamer your way more knowledgeable then me. Any ideas?
OK, there is 198.7% difference across all cores when you add it all up. (716.6 gameplay vs 517.9 in photomode)

So, not similar at all really.

Mr Moose

Does the PC version use the updated engine the next gen consoles use?

I am not sure if he's just talking about the consoles or if it also includes the PC Control UE.

ethomaz

Banned
just read through shadow of mordor, again a clear win for PS4, Xbox One shit on.
Unless there was some conspiracy cover up on this one too?
How do you spin lower-resolution, flickering shadows, medium PC settings (PS4 was High)?
Unless they do a Battlefield 4 case again that backfired huge to them... they will have to say what is true.
Even so they said the world vegetation was better on Xbox One ;)

That remember me when they pushed the narrative PS4 can't do AF because it was lower in some games than Xbox One.
They pushed to the points that Santa Monica dev had to show a part of the code with how AF is pretty easy to implement in PS4 SDK.

Last edited:

JimboJones

How do you spin lower-resolution, flickering shadows, medium PC settings (PS4 was High)?
Unless they do a Battlefield 4 case again that backfired huge to them... they will have to say what is true.
Even so they said the world vegetation was better on Xbox One ;)

That remember me when they pushed the narrative PS4 can't do AF because it was lower in some games than Xbox One.
They pushed to the points that Santa Monica dev had to show a part of the code with how AF is pretty easy to implement in PS4 SDK.
Just read their cod advance war face off, again a win for Ps4.
Cmon dude, this is getting embarrassing.

OK, there is 198.7% difference across all cores when you add it all up. (716.6 gameplay vs 517.9 in photomode)

So, not similar at all really.
You know the total cpu usage is the last number eh. So it's 38% vs 26.5%. but that wasn't really the point. The main thread usage is 70% vs 67% and that's what nxgamer is saying the issue is. Now if the main thread usage is only 3% different why would Xbox stutter during gameplay but have almost 60fps during photo mode?
Does the PC version use the updated engine the next gen consoles use?

I am not sure if he's just talking about the consoles or if it also includes the PC Control UE.

PC ultimate edition just has the dlc as far as I can tell. It's already ultimate with RT and so on.

ethomaz

Banned
Just read their cod advance war face off, again a win for Ps4.
Cmon dude, this is getting embarrassing.
A win... after a patch that made PS4 version 1080p due complain from gamers.
All reviewers (including EG/DF) was made with a PS4 version that was 720p due something that Activision never explained.
Activision said it was 1080p but shipped a 720p game to reviewers.

Reviewers were like "it doesn't look better than Xbox One version even in 1080p" lol

You just get the cases that PS4 were bullied with fake info with the agenda press trying to say Xbox One version was better?

I can understand if you did not was here in PS4/XB1 launch.

Last edited:
A win... after a patch that made PS4 version 1080p due complain from gamers.
All reviewers (including EG/DF) was made with a PS4 version that was 720p due something that Activision never explained.
Activision said it was 1080p but shipped a 720p game to reviewers.

Reviewers were like "it doesn't look better than Xbox One version even in 1080p" lol

You just get the cases that PS4 were bullied with fake info with the agenda press trying to say Xbox One version was better?

I can understand if you did not was here in PS4/XB1 launch.
Your list of excuses is almost as long as my dick.

ethomaz

Banned
Read the Evil Within face off with another win for PS4.
I'll stop there but for an outfit with bias towards MS I think MS got a raw deal!
What is your point lol?
Do you want to keep trowing DF faceoffs?

You should read that princeless article that you can guess the autor without need to check:

I mean an article they did from nowhere... no technical analysis or game involved.
An article that only exists because PS4 did have better resolution in games.

Last edited:
Wut? There is a clear Xbox bias in the DF articles.
Yeah I just read thru the article you just posted and I see no bias in that either. To assume bias you would have to assume they would not of made the same article if ps and Xbox were in a different position. I believe since they are a business they are in the business of making articles and videos to satisfy as many people as they can and make the most money. If you read or watch the videos disliking consoles in general with literally zero care for what the result is and just find the genre of video enjoyable you won't see bias.

DJ12

You know the total cpu usage is the last number eh. So it's 38% vs 26.5%. but that wasn't really the point. The main thread usage is 70% vs 67% and that's what nxgamer is saying the issue is. Now if the main thread usage is only 3% different why would Xbox stutter during gameplay but have almost 60fps during photo mode?
Nope, wasn't aware of that, don't even know what app you are using to be fair, (I sometimes use GeForce experience for FPS, but don't care enough to see anything else) is one of them also the GPU as there are 18 percentages shown, what's the other unaccounted one? I'm guessing you don't have a 17 thread CPU.

Even so, I think 12% over 16 threads is considerable and some of the other threads are clearly doing work for the game so shouldn't be discounted. Maybe the "main" thread is responsible for BVH who knows.

What happens with raytracing disabled, out of interest, main threads still 70 ish %?

I have given my theory multiple times, but pretty sure you didn't agree in the other threads when you were being more console warriorish.

Why don't you offer a hypothesis about why the performance is worse in game vs photomode?

pixelbox

Wut? There is a clear Xbox bias in the DF articles.
Don't. These guys are operating with the notion that if it wasn't explicitly said, it doesn't exist. They never heard of undertones.

Regarding this discussion, these systems cant be directly compared regardless of this ragity benchmark. They don't function the same way, uses different API's and this is still a game based off last gens code. It isn't even optimized well

I wonder what is the more misleading the whole data presented or the extract and spin of part of it , whining about something is missing in selective case depending of nature the content/source/result.
It's funny how people concerned by the mote in DF eyes are missing the beam in their own.
Sure, why even bother trying to give a complete picture.

MonarchJT

Banned
What is your point lol?
Do you want to keep trowing DF faceoffs?

You should read that princeless article that you can guess the autor without need to check:

I mean an article they did from nowhere... no technical analysis or game involved.
An article that only exists because PS4 did have better resolution in games.
cmon stop it ....df is not biased and if they are .....they do in the same way vgtech or nxgamer are for playstation (i honestly never heard a bad word from them about anything playstation)

John from DF here on gaf (I don't remember if here or in the other forum) he admitted that he prefers PlayStation and that he even would have preferred Microsoft not to enter the console world. therefore..

Last edited:
Nope, wasn't aware of that, don't even know what app you are using to be fair, (I sometimes use GeForce experience for FPS, but don't care enough to see anything else) is one of them also the GPU as there are 18 percentages shown, what's the other unaccounted one? I'm guessing you don't have a 17 thread CPU.

Even so, I think 12% over 16 threads is considerable and some of the other threads are clearly doing work for the game so shouldn't be discounted. Maybe the "main" thread is responsible for BVH who knows.

What happens with raytracing disabled, out of interest, main threads still 70 ish %?

I have given my theory multiple times, but pretty sure you didn't agree in the other threads when you were being more console warriorish.

Why don't you offer a hypothesis about why the performance is worse in game vs photomode?
Sometimes I can be a real shit. Depends on my mood. The first 16 numbers are the threads. The next is highest current thread so you will see that number twice and last is total. It's hwinfo with rtss. I don't often use either but I know how so I did. I used to use rtss(it lets you have the overlay) with afterburner but when I started rtss it crashed afterburner. I'm not sure why. It used to work. So I had to use hwinfo which to show cpu usage you have to enable by the thread so 16 times enable plus tell it where to put it. I'm lazy so I just stacked them across the top.
I'm not sure with RT disabled but I'll check later.
Also I agree photo mode is different for performance then actual gameplay. What I don't agree with is the stutter being anything more then the devs being a small team and calling good enough.

Interfectum

Mods you really need to add carnival of stupid to this thread too. The amount of wasted energy and tears over this port of Control is beyond anything I'd imagine even console warriors devolving into.

Shaking Head No GIF by GIPHY News

Mods you really need to add carnival of stupid to this thread too. The amount of wasted energy and tears over this port of Control is beyond anything I'd imagine even console warriors devolving into.

Shaking Head No GIF by GIPHY News

It's the same as every analysis thread since November. I don't know why some of you keep acting surprised. This is tame compared to the early vids (Valhalla, Black Ops, etc)

iHaunter

PS5 better ray tracing mentioned in 3:39.

PS5 Better performance mentioned in 8:42

PS5 no stutters like Series X mentioned in 14:07

Winner PS5
I don't even get why OP intentionally miss-interprets the video just to make XSX win. I mean realistically, who gives a shit. When I'm playing on my PS5, I don't notice the 1-3 FPS drop just like I'm sure XSX users don't when they're playing on their desired console.

I don't even get why OP intentionally miss-interprets the video just to make XSX win.

What? Odd accusation, I didn't even throw in the line from NX where he says "XsX has better performance outside of the stutters"

Not sure what you are talking about. I don't think this is fair at all. What did I misrepresent?

Would you rather I just post a link or a vid with no added info or context at all? Nothing in the OP indicates a "Win for Xbox" outside the photo-mode FPS, which has been reported by multiple major tech outlets and is just photo mode. I write what I hear NX say in the vid.

I don't even use that corny Khaled gif

Last edited:

DJ12

Sometimes I can be a real shit. Depends on my mood. The first 16 numbers are the threads. The next is highest current thread so you will see that number twice and last is total. It's hwinfo with rtss. I don't often use either but I know how so I did. I used to use rtss(it lets you have the overlay) with afterburner but when I started rtss it crashed afterburner. I'm not sure why. It used to work. So I had to use hwinfo which to show cpu usage you have to enable by the thread so 16 times enable plus tell it where to put it. I'm lazy so I just stacked them across the top.
I'm not sure with RT disabled but I'll check later.
Also I agree photo mode is different for performance then actual gameplay. What I don't agree with is the stutter being anything more then the devs being a small team and calling good enough.
Fair does, no need to do another picture for the RT off photomode, just be interesting if that thread is doing the CPU RT work, which would explain why it's seeing very little drop off.

I think this issue has occurred in too many games now to blame the devs.

I would hazard a guess there's an issue in 1 of the following (or maybe all of them combined):

On the fly decompression
Loading of assets while the system is busy already
Games going over the 10gb of fast memory

I don't think we will ever find out what the actual issue is, especially if this particular issue gets resolved with further updates to the GDK.

iHaunter

What? Odd accusation, I didn't even throw in the line from NX where he says "XsX has better performance outside of the stutters"

Not sure what you are talking about. I don't think this is fair at all. What did I misrepresent?

Would you rather I just post a link or a vid with no added info or context at all? Nothing in the OP indicates a "Win for Xbox" outside the photo-mode FPS, which has been reported by multiple major tech outlets and is just photo mode. I write what I hear NX say in the vid.
I would 100% take slightly lower stable FPS over stutter. It's much more immersion breaking.

Fair does, no need to do another picture for the RT off photomode, just be interesting if that thread is doing the CPU RT work, which would explain why it's seeing very little drop off.

I think this issue has occurred in too many games now to blame the devs.

I would hazard a guess there's an issue in 1 of the following (or maybe all of them combined):

On the fly decompression
Loading of assets while the system is busy already
Games going over the 10gb of fast memory

I don't think we will ever find out what the actual issue is, especially if this particular issue gets resolved with further updates to the GDK.
See I think most of this console launch has been a lot of cases of good enough and with good reason. I think Sony has been more on the ball explaining the quality first party offerings. I think most devs and MS are behind and rushed. Again I feel Sony is behind but not to the extent ms is. This combination explains performance differences while maintaining parity with thought processes. See I believe both systems Will improve and one will be better sometimes and the other other times. I think Xbox is further behind so will improve more, but this does not mean it will improve past PS in some games.

I feel like this reply is overly long because like I say if you aren't overly pro Sony your words are read as against it.

I would 100% take slightly lower stable FPS over stutter. It's much more immersion breaking.

So would I.

I Plat'd and hundred percent'd the game and expansions on my PS5 last week (posted proof in the Control OT). I detail NX's thoughts on the XSX stuttering in the OP. The stuttering is an issue. I hate stutters. Happens quite a bit in PC games I played in the past.

What did I misrepresent? Where did I try to claim victory for XSX? I don't think your criticism of my OP is valid.

I don't even own an Xbox. I play my PS5 daily. If you're one of the people still mad about the "Hitman 3: Xbox advantage at 4k" thread title, bruh that was the title of the video itself. I just copied it over as I thought that was standard procedure. I changed the title of today's DIvision 2 analysis to be more diplomatic.

I'm not trying to misrepresent anything or manufacture "wins" for anyone.

Last edited:

squarealex

Series X version has much better performance in 120hz mode, sometimes 20fps over PS5 and I think it was the Xbox which had the higher resolution in that mode. So yeah with VRR you're getting a far superior performance on Xbox and the response time is going to be worse on PS5 with all those dropped frames.
average 118 vs 117

but this man can SEEEEEEEEEEEE the 1 fps difference...

another one

DF was pretty biased in BF4 comparison in Xbox favor... they even claimed the Xbox One was the superior version and that it did not lacked in terms of GPU power like BF4 showed lol

"As you may notice in our screengrabs, the actual results on PS4 lack the corresponding level of crystal clarity we'd expect of such a significant resolution boost. This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image.

On the merits of what we've seen so far, Battlefield 4 is already set to be a formidable launch window effort from DICE. Our observations so far reveal a clear gap in fidelity between PC and PS4, and again to Xbox One, but sub-pixel break-up aside, based on what we've seen so far, the Microsoft console manages to hold up despite the undeniable, quantifiably worse metrics in terms of both resolution and frame-rate."

Imagine a 720p version being sharper than 900p version because the stellar magical scaling.

Because everybody playing the game plus others sites started to made comparisons showing a way different and better version of the PS4 game.

There was a nasty sharpening filter applied in all XB1 games. It was probably something MS did when they knew PS4 games were going to have a higher resolution at launch. After some times MS removed it in a patch (it was really a nasty filter). But, hey, it worked on DF experts!

Last edited:

You mean to tell me they used their captured footage for the analysis and since it captured wrong they analysis was wrong? And then let me get this straight once they figured out it was wrong they fixed the article? Are you serious? I finally see the DF bias.

Holy shit yeah I guess you can spin it that way but it doesn't make it true.

isoRhythm

Banned
You mean to tell me they used their captured footage for the analysis and since it captured wrong they analysis was wrong? And then let me get this straight once they figured out it was wrong they fixed the article? Are you serious? I finally see the DF bias.
These are the kind of things you do before you publish your article

Top Bottom