• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Control: Ultimate Edition Console Performance Review (PS5 & Xbox Series X|S)

paulyboy81

Neo Member
That's Photo mode.

Real gameplay, identical location: (performance mode)

xsxvsps5controlfps2.jpg

That's one of the stutter induced frame-spikes (you've even taken it from the section of the video where NX Gamer is discussing just that) , it literally lasts a fraction of a second and returns to a locked 60fps immediately afterwards. It's a totally different performance issue/discussion. I'd wager if you rode the elevator straight back down and up afterwards it'll be gone completely.

I know I'm just as culpable for taking part, but how is another thread blowing up over this? Aside from the stutters plaguing the Xbox/PC version (see above) and a slightly glitchy RT implementation effecting both consoles in different ways, these versions are practically identical in feature-set and performance. The photo mode was just an interesting little benchmark for raw GPU power and nothing else, people need to drop it and stop scouring the video for discrepancies to explain the performance delta, it's bonkers, and not worth another 30 page thread.

So apparently Matt Hargett (ex-Software Engineer of PS5) agrees with Digital Foundry's and, by relation I'd assume, NX Gamer's use of Photo Mode as a benchmark. And it's true; some game engines will favor Series X's GPU design while some others will favor PS5's GPU design. I don't see why it's an even remotely controversial statement to make.

Granted, no one's playing the game in Photo Mode hence why it's an academic benchmark; hopefully whatever is causing the frame drops and microstutter on Series X when text crawls on the screen is fixed in a patch. But considering the porting team for this game was quite small, and that Remedy are focusing on Crossfire X, I doubt it'll get patched anytime too soon.

TBH the entire situation was stupid, but on both ends. It was a technical analysis thread on controller input latency, there is zero reason why it should've spilled off into covering Twitter rants and drama. If NX Gamer wants to be taken seriously as a professional he needs to know when to now go for the low-hanging fruit bait; ignore them completely and they will eventually get bored.

That said, it's just another example why ResetEra is a trash heap of a "forum" outside of a scant few quality gaming threads that pop up here and there, and I've noticed some of the posters I usually like reading posts from there have scaled back or stopped completely. Probably because they don't like the hyper-polarizing political atmosphere that manifests there in even innocuous gaming threads. Can't say I blame them whatsover.

I miss your old avatar.

If the stuttering gets a patch it will be worth returning to this port and seeing how the performance stacks up.

NXG, in this very video, does say (around the 12 minute mark) that, outside of those stutters, the XSX has a very slight performance edge over PS5.

Of course, the stutters are there, so it's not like we can pretend they don't matter. It's a mark against the Series port, for now.

Interesting port, this one is, for numerous reasons. I am still hung up on the PC equivalent settings discussion, honestly.

I know I'm just as culpable for taking part, but how is another thread blowing up over this? and not worth another 30 page thread.

I end up having to repeat this every time, but here goes again:

They always will. They just will. The console war discussion is the hottest topic on the forum for now, and for the foreseeable future. Nothing gets more clicks, for the time being. So either get used to it, or just add Analysis tagged threads to your ignore list. The same people will flock to each new thread and repeat the same lines/memes/GIFs/catch phrases that have been making the rounds since specs were unveiled in the summer.

Replies like yours always pop up in analysis threads and I don't understand why. This isn't new. It has happened every time since November. Dirt 5 got numerous threads (launch versions vs patched versions ,etc) all getting at least close to 1k replies and, again, no one even plays that game.

Hell, a lot of people who take part in these XsX vs PS5 discussions don't even own either console yet.

There is no point in acting surprised by it, or posting "congrats on your imaginary war," or "wow jeez so many replies wtf" because it has always been this way, it will always be this way, and you're adding nothing by acting "above it all," all you really accomplish with that is just shitting up the thread further, honestly. Either ignore it or accept it.

The DF Control Photo Mode Ray Tracing vid has like 50k views in less than a week. Imagine the numbers that CP77 next-gen update analysis is gonna do.

The next AAA release will get NXgamer, DF, and VGtech threads. The one after that will. The one after that will. So on, and so on, and so on. All those threads will get at least 500 replies, most will get at least 1k.

People love comparing the hardware, for better or worse. I actually really enjoy the nitty gritty details of how each console performs, I don't approach it as "one has to be good, the other has to suck," I like seeing the good that both can do.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Where the fuck does this microsoft bias come from ? Didnt they spend the entirety of the generation declaring ps4 the winner over xbox in almost every comparison ?
Yep, Xbox One got "shit on" continuously (rightfully so), things "turned" after xboxonex (obviously) because it was generally the stronger system by a fair margin.

Loope

As long as you are coherent with that criteria.

But can you explain why DF bothered with showing loading results but didn’t bother with sharing install sizes? Nothing about compression. Just zero information here. Why? SSD space and expandable storage were a topic of contention before the consoles released.

Why are they so selective?
Did they ever covered that type of information before? If they did, you have a point.

But even if that's the case, i wouldn't go as far as implying they're shills like sony fanboys have been doing for several weeks now. If you have proof of them being shills, omitting information or straight up pretend they didn't see something then go ahead and post so everyone can see it.

martino

You’re just proving my point here. To defend DF’s bias when it comes to Xbox/PlayStation, you are trying to normalize it by saying NXgamer is pro PS5. Which means you know DF are bias, but you accept that.
yes for me the more of them the better ot have the overall picture.
It’s not the data, it’s how it’s presented. See politics it’s not about what’s true and what’s a lie, it’s about how the truth is presented.

Nobody is accusing DF of lying. Honestly I think if you don’t notice DF’s bias, then you’re pretty blind to bias in general unless it goes against your own bias.

DF isn’t consistent in the way it presents and explores the data it gathers. This is a fact.
All your prove here is you dislike how df present data and you like of nx present them....
If you really look at data presented you can see they all miss stuff which is also orienting the way data is presented
conclusion : same answer than previous quote.

You have a different view of PS4 gen that most of us.

DF always tried to make the Xbox One looks better including showing faked results.

They are the ones that created resolution is everything on PS360 and denied it on PS4/XB1 saying the 1080p and 900p differences were imperceptible.

There are some famous threads here in GAF about DF... the bias is not about PS5/Series but come from way before that... it peaked at PS4/XB1.

The resolution narrative...this one is one of the worst on gaf....what is true at sub or 720p is not true for 900p/1080p with new rendering method like checkerboard.
So the explanation is simple : new method + more base pixels. and they didn't change this narrative since then...and they won't especially with tech like dlss or what shown on UE5 demo.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Did they ever covered that type of information before? If they did, you have a point.

But even if that's the case, i wouldn't go as far as implying they're shills like sony fanboys have been doing for several weeks now. If you have proof of them being shills, omitting information or straight up pretend they didn't see something then go ahead and post so everyone can see it.
Even if they didn't cover install sizes before, it is important technical information and this is one of the first games to show such a discrepancy. However, it is probably just a pretty significant oversight from DF rather than anything malicious.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Does install size affect performance? The data for install size is easily available for everyone to see.
Install size affects loading times. Xbox and PS5 both load in roughly the same time. But XSX is loading using a relatively uncompressed data file (42 GB). On the other hand, PS5 is first decompressing a smaller file (25 GB) and then loading the game in the same time (+/- 0.5 seconds).

It means that PS5's SSD is actually working much faster in this scenario. But only sharing the loading time (and not talking about the install size / smaller file / decompression) will likely mislead into thinking that PS5 is being slower than XSX in Control UE.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yep, Xbox One got "shit on" continuously (rightfully so), things "turned" after xboxonex (obviously) because it was generally the stronger system by a fair margin.
Not originally, the first lot of comparisons had excuses and "reasons" and every PS4 positive comparison was meet with some snarky comment in their videos to the point you could hear John's eyeroll as it left the others mouths
Obviously they couldn't keep that up, and John done a lot of comparisons after that.
But yes it did return in full force with the XOX

Anyway, as the official thread is nowhere these days I just wanted to comment on the Pierce Gun.
Damn is it so satisfying to fire that with the Dualsense, you feel it powering up and the trigger starts shaking when it reaches maximum (don't release the trigger!, Let it discharge itself) and boom!
you literally feel it leave the Dualsense
Fantastic stuff

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
How can that be identified without seeing the load of CPU cores on Xbox?
Because PC and Xbox both have this issue, and you can see on PCs that one CPU core is being overloaded. They are also roughly the same size (42 GB) unlike the PS5 version.

So unless the management was done differently in the XSX version (which is an unlikely scenario because of MS's unification policy), both the XSX and PC versions will likely inherit the same disadvantages and advantages.

It's easy to reach to this (logical) conclusion.

Loope

You have a different view of PS4 gen that most of us.

DF always tried to make the Xbox One looks better including showing faked results.

They are the ones that created resolution is everything on PS360 and denied it on PS4/XB1 saying the 1080p and 900p differences were imperceptible.

There are some famous threads here in GAF about DF... the bias is not about PS5/Series but come from way before that... it peaked at PS4/XB1.
Well, now it seems we're back to the resolution doesn't mean a thing going by the Hitman 3 thread. That and people that say 60 fps is king when before it was all about that cinematic experience at 30 fps.Times change.

Where the fuck does this microsoft bias come from ? Didnt they spend the entirety of the generation declaring ps4 the winner over xbox in almost every comparison ?

Yeah, but during X360/PS3 era differences were WORLD APART in X360 favor according to them, even the minor ones. They've never claimed such worlds apart differences last gen in PS4 favor.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Install size affects loading times. Xbox and PS5 both load in roughly the same time. But XSX is loading using a relatively uncompressed data file (42 GB). On the other hand, PS5 is first decompressing a smaller file (25 GB) and then loading the game in the same time (+/- 0.5 seconds).

It means that PS5's SSD is actually working much faster in this scenario. But only sharing the loading time (and not talking about the install size / smaller file / decompression) will likely mislead into thinking that PS5 is being slower than XSX in Control UE.
A round about way of saying no visible effect on performance just that the file size (which is public knowledge) is smaller.
Unless it was causing massive load times or super short load times it hardly worth mentioning.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
That's Photo mode.

Real gameplay, identical location: (performance mode)

xsxvsps5controlfps2.jpg

I imagine that if you didn't have gaf gold and a mod watched the vid and then saw this post you would be banned. I would report your post, but no doubt Gaf gold gives you special privileges.

Blatant, pathetic and childish console warring post. This is taken from the elevator (cut) scene where he is describing the problem and not "real gameplay" like your post tries to imply.

This is N4G levels of fanboyism on display.

Last edited:

Loope

Even if they didn't cover install sizes before, it is important technical information and this is one of the first games to show such a discrepancy. However, it is probably just a pretty significant oversight from DF rather than anything malicious.
That's exactly where i'm getting at. But no, if they don't show an advantage towards Sony, then they are shills or they don't know shit. There's no way that they forgot or they prefer not to talk about it because they don't know why it is smaller.

martino

I imagine that if you didn't have gaf gold and a mod watched your vid and then saw this post you would be banned. I would report your, but no doubt Gaf gold gives you special privileges.

Blatant, pathetic and childish console warring post. This is taken from the elevator (cut) scene where he is describing the problem and not "real gameplay" like your post tries to imply.

i guess It's the way they prefer the data to be presented ! 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Ps5 isn’t doing more reflections. XSX and pc has dual reflections the difference is ps5 has one way over offset apart

I just checked and those blinds are literally pressing against the thick glass making ps5 reflections completely broken. It's funny seeing fans deflecting, maybe devs will eventually get around in patching the bug.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I imagine that if you didn't have gaf gold and a mod watched the vid and then saw this post you would be banned. I would report your post, but no doubt Gaf gold gives you special privileges.

idle animation in a cut scene?
tenor.gif

And Gold gives no ban immunity, in fact he has been banned under Gold before.

DJ12

Does he have a development kit and profiled the game during a studder or he is guessing to.

Nxgamer has yet to put up a video that puts Sony in any sort of negative light in a show down. Hate df all you want they post wins for both sides. That is why both sides biitch about them and they are close to neutral and professional as you can get.
Negative light? OK fanboy lol.

Why should he its performing better than everyone expected and showing clear deficiencies of the more powerful hardware. Doesnt seem like anything to be really negative about to be honest even if it were the case the ps5 was almost on par with series x rather than the other way round.

Imagine ps5 winning 1 or 2 games and photomode in another for a second, good job right?

Not nxgamer or any Sony fans problem you only believe the marketing rather than your own eyeballs

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
A round about way of saying no visible effect on performance just that the file size (which is public knowledge) is smaller.
Unless it was causing massive load times or super short load times it hardly worth mentioning.
Well, I did explain how the PS5 is actually doing a lot more work before loading everything in roughly the same time, but ... okay I guess.

DJ12

Because PC and Xbox both have this issue, and you can see on PCs that one CPU core is being overloaded. They are also roughly the same size (42 GB) unlike the PS5 version.

So unless the management was done differently in the XSX version (which is an unlikely scenario because of MS's unification policy), both the XSX and PC versions will likely inherit the same disadvantages and advantages.

It's easy to reach to this (logical) conclusion.
According to the expert, Alex, the PC stutters during shader compilation not any IO activity, something he says isn't needed on console as they should be provided already compiled.

It is more likely this game remains reliant on one or two cores\threads, which rather than using the relatively free other cores, also do all the IO on series X.

Your average PC port I guess. This should all be sorted by the compile tools though I guess, if MS are providing the same tools to use on each platform, their tools should organise this automatically based on the target machine.

Who knows, it might actually be doing this, but the IO cannot keep up with the GPU. Maybe a key reason why Sony have put custom chips in for basically the entire IO pipeline.

Last edited:

martino

There are ways to present technical data for what it is, it's very drab and dry... But it doesn't have to be misleading or partial, even if you as a person is partial.
I wonder what is the more misleading the whole data presented or the extract and spin of part of it , whining about something is missing in selective case depending of nature the content/source/result.
It's funny how people concerned by the mote in DF eyes are missing the beam in their own.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Well, I did explain how the PS5 is actually doing a lot more work before loading everything in roughly the same time, but ... okay I guess.
Personally I think the game files size has little to do with compression and they have left the Ultra/High textures in the game files. Would explain the very similar file size to the PC but that's just my theory, would be interesting to see evidence to the contrary.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Have you even fucking played the game? That's not a cut scene, if you don't fucking know what's happening here, the XSX "might" be struggling with loading the next section upstairs. And here you attacking while that is 100% game-fucking-play. Now go cry somewhere else, you whiny little boy.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
idle animation in a cut scene?
tenor.gif

And Gold gives no ban immunity, in fact he has been banned under Gold before.

He can't handle the truth.jpg

The guy didn't even play the game. I've played every fucking mission, side mission, checked every corner of this game with all DLC's. That's 100% gameplay.

Leyasu

Banned
Have you even fucking played the game? That's not a cut scene, if you don't fucking know what's happening here, the XSX "might" be struggling with loading the next section upstairs. And here you attacking while that is 100% game-fucking-play. Now go cry somewhere else, you whiny little boy.
I’ve got it and am playing it. Maybe not a cut scene but a loading screen. My slip in words used doesn’t excuse what you are doing.

Blatant console warring. It’s pathetic.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Sort of like Hitman 3 on PS5.

Too bad the RT setting are different, so apples to oranges.

Not really the same as Control has the same resolution and settings whilst Xbox has a huge 44% resolution advantage and higher shadow settings on Hitman 3.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I’ve got it and am playing it. Maybe not a cut scene but a loading screen. My slip in words used doesn’t excuse what you are doing.

Blatant console warring. It’s pathetic.

How about you tune down your fucking temper? It's not a loading screen, it's an elevator, sometimes you can even get hit by NPC's while you're there. I sometimes get shot while skipping them to finish side/main missions quicker.

Last edited:

DJ12

Not really the same as Control has the same resolution and settings whilst Xbox has a huge 44% resolution advantage and higher shadow settings on Hitman 3.
And lower framerate.

Don't cherry pick the bullet points.

Edit for the lols, this is Riky, mr triggered, posting in the Dirt 5 thread. Somehow, it doesn't matter in Hitman though, go figure.

None of anything you said changes the fact the PS5 had the worst frame rate of the two anyway in 120fps mode. You're dealing in what ifs, the DF comparison showed clearly on one track in particular the PS5 frame rate tanked hard.
Plus no VRR.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member

Objectively false.

Dial back personal insults over vidya. And for the love of Odin- stop throwing stones at glass houses.

DJ12

Xbox has VRR so I get the 44% resolution advantage, the superior shadows and smooth frame rate output 😎
Ture story, VVR doesn't add missing frames. Meaning while your framerate is dropping so is your response time.

The list of superior settings on PS5 was quite long, and to be fair still is, but I guess it's as irrelevant there as it is with Hitman and it's singular advantage on Series X?

Not forgetting the higher average resolution in 120 and quality modes.

If you ignore most of the settings on Dirt 5, it's almost exactly the same as Hitman, just reversed.

One result valid though, the other not. Go figure.

assurdum

Banned
Yeah, but during X360/PS3 era differences were WORLD APART in X360 favor according to them, even the minor ones. They've never claimed such worlds apart differences last gen in PS4 favor.
Can't never forget how 900p was a touch soft, almost pleasant hearing them, difference not dramatic to 1080p, better smoother fps. But when one X was released "oh wow extraordinary, look at this, look at this, oh my gosh that's huge, oooh" Christ they seem to have an orgasm at every face off. I really invite people who claim they are impartial to check the tone used in their analysis, when PS4 was ahead to Xbox one, because it never was like that.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
How about you tune down your fucking temper? It's not a loading screen, it's an elevator, sometimes you can even get hit by NPC's while your there. I sometimes get shot while skipping them to finish side/main missions quicker.

I am not the one getting angry and swearing. I just called you out. If you don't like it, don't do it. You knew exactly what you were doing. If that had been during a "real gameplay" scene, NX gamer would have shown it.

Says the guy that was attempting to be neutral until he had safety in numbers when the Hitman 3 video dropped.

Pot, please meet Kettle, you'll get on well.
A new challenger appears. What you jumping in for? Was you one of the people that gve hime a thumbs up because that sort of warring is what you like??

Hitman shook the sony fanboys to the core it would seem. But don't worry, as I have said plenty of times. Going forward some games will favor the PS5 and others the XsX. My post history is available for everyone to see that is sad enough to go through it. Feel free.

photo mode vs gameplay cpu usage basically the same....just a heads up ps5 rt settings except 1080p...game feels good so far. will make it pretty and probably use dlss for 144fps
I9MWDXy.png
HMknXZF.png

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Ture story, VVR doesn't add missing frames. Meaning while your framerate is dropping so is your response time.

The list of superior settings on PS5 was quite long, and to be fair still is, but I guess it's as irrelevant there as it is with Hitman and it's singular advantage on Series X?

Not forgetting the higher average resolution in 120 and quality modes.

If you ignore most of the settings on Dirt 5, it's almost exactly the same as Hitman, just reversed.

One result valid though, the other not. Go figure.

Series X version has much better performance in 120hz mode, sometimes 20fps over PS5 and I think it was the Xbox which had the higher resolution in that mode. So yeah with VRR you're getting a far superior performance on Xbox and the response time is going to be worse on PS5 with all those dropped frames.
NtwwI5T.jpg

DJ12

A new challenger appears. What you jumping in for? Was you one of the people that gve hime a thumbs up because that sort of warring is what you like??

Hitman shook the sony fanboys to the core it would seem. But don't worry, as I have said plenty of times. Going forward some games will favor the PS5 and others the XsX. My post history is available for everyone to see that is sad enough to go through it. Feel free.
Nope, what it did was bring you firmly out the closet. Even xbox one beat PS4 occasionally, Sony fans don't really care.

What urks me is the blatant hypocrisy on display from the militant xbox fans.

I could not give a poop if series X performs better in a single game, I don't have a PS5, and no intention of buying one just yet either, maybe when GT7 comes out.

It's true I have no intention of getting a series X, if Forza Horizon was exclusive though, I'd consider it, but I can pick that up for PC and max out all the settings at the same time.

DJ12

Series X version has much better performance in 120hz mode, sometimes 20fps over PS5 and I think it was the Xbox which had the higher resolution in that mode. So yeah with VRR you're getting a far superior performance on Xbox and the response time is going to be worse on PS5 with all those dropped frames.
Yes, it does in that specific instance, but the settings are inferior.

Which is the point you seem to blinded by your fanboyism to get.

The very image you have chosen to use is strewn with inferior settings on Series X.

You have essentially proven my point.

If you choose to respond I won't reply again as this is a thread derailment, but feel free to 'trigger' me up and get some likes from your similarly deluded brethren.

Top Bottom