• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA's GeForce Now Loses more Publishers, Xbox Game Studios and Warner Bros. wave Goodbye

llien

NVIDIA's GeForce Now game streaming service has been a bit of a hit and miss lately, with some of the bigger publishers like Activision-Blizzard, Bethesda, and 2K games revoking availability of their digital game libraries on NVIDIA's service. Possible reasons for those events were unknown and the platform did suffer from it. Some speculations were that the publishers were going to switch their preferred online streaming service platform or build their own. So far it is still a mystery. However, it seems like there is no end to the pain, as some very big publishers decided to revoke their digital libraries as well.

Big names like Microsoft Xbox Game Studios, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Codemasters, and Klei Entertainment have all decided to stop offering their games on the GeForce Now game streaming platform. This is very much a major disappointment and another big setback to the platform, as now you can not play any of the titles from these publishers. Titles from the games series like Halo, Gears of War, Forza, Dirt Rally, Batman and many more, are now not available. It remains to be seen if these publishers announce a move to another streaming service, so we have to wait.
TechPowerUp

I am puzzled why "bring your game to play" needs special permission.
Why can't I rent a virtual PC and install my Steam/GoG/Blizzard crap on it, without asking any of those?
Anyhow, exactly that is (also) not possible any more.

FranXico

Looks like a very consumer-centric company is selling streaming exclusivity deals to publishers. I'm sure all those GeForceNOW consumers must be grateful for the benign intervention of the most pro-consumer corporation on Earth.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well, this seems to be fuck-up on nVidia part, because I don't understand why would they care. I understand maybe Xbox Studio, thanks to their xCloud, but other than that? What is happening?

Only the shitty publishers then. Nothing was lost, Bethesda have put out some shit games as of recent. They are lucky people buy them let alone want to bother installing that crap.

Last edited:
I'm confused as well why I need a company's permission to install a Steam instance on a remote server to run games I already purchased. Heaven forbid.
I think it's mainly because you don't own the game. You own a license to play it. So this is mostly between the actual owners of the property and those who want to distribute it to you?

Actually it might just be a symptom of how fucked digital rights management and capitalism can be...

Let's hope this case at least can serve as a guideline how companies should handle this in the future. Would love to see Nvidia play the "well fuck you then, sue me" card and just stream their games anways. That way we would get an official interpretation of the situation.

Based Phil “I don’t care where you play Xbox games” also based Phil “pull our games from GeForce now”😂

Didn't consider this. Maybe it's more about "we're not sure how this works legally so we better reserve our stance on the topic so we don't forfeit any rights"?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This shouldn't be surprising, ms is launching it's own streaming service soon. And with these 2 more studios leaving, gefirce now if effectively dead.

So a complete lack of rights over how you use your own property, as well as exclusivity deal bollocks fragmenting the market and demanding you spend more money than you should have to.

How anyone can still argue that streaming games is 'the future', and not just inarguably worse in every way to what we have currently, just boggles me.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I think it's mainly because you don't own the game. You own a license to play it. So this is mostly between the actual owners of the property and those who want to distribute it to you?

Actually it might just be a symptom of how fucked digital rights management and capitalism can be...
I have the right to install Steam on a PC of my choosing and access the account in a single instance at any time I choose.

Can I use my Steam account on other computers?

You may use your Steam account on any machine which can connect to the Steam network - Steam allows you to download and install any games registered to your account as soon as you log in.

Valve is not the reason access is being restricted to your Steam account on a remote server. There could be an argument made for the manner of instancing games via quick launch as opposed to manual install, but what it really comes down to is that the publishers don't get any money from me if I get to play games I already own.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It depends on what he means by "where"
If xcloud delivers on your phone, tablet, and maybe eventually on your roku/tv - effectively this promise will be delivered as you will be able to play "where" you want.

Ballthyrm

I don't get why they should care about this.
After all they still make a sale at the end of the day.
The money is still reaching them.

It's not like NVIDIA stream pirated games.

It depends on what he means by "where"
If xcloud delivers on your phone, tablet, and maybe eventually on your roku/tv - effectively this promise will be delivered as you will be able to play "where" you want.
"I don't care where you get your sex, as long as it's with me."

sassy-bitch-belle-Favim.com-6387649.png

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
They want to keep people locked into their eco system.

I doubt my ipad pro will be able to stream xbox x series and ps5 games for free as they do right now for one and 4 in the future

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They want to keep people locked into their eco system.

I doubt my ipad pro will be able to stream xbox x series and ps5 games for free as they do right now for one and 4 in the future
I think you would be able to do that, Console streaming is long time on PS and now on Xbox too, but you probably have to own the console, tho. Although xCloud seems to work well on Android, not sure how Apple view this kind of stuff.

Soltype

I don't understand why they're taking their games off, it's not like they're offering an alternative. It's literally corporate pettiness. If they were offering something similar, I'd understand.

Kenpachii

To many company's that want to make the big bucks out of it.

What they need to do and the same counts for streaming is divide all income quality and cost equally

Sadly 1 always wants to earn more and boom.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Well, this seems to be fuck-up on nVidia part, because I don't understand why would they care. I understand maybe Xbox Studio, thanks to their xCloud, but other than that? What is happening?
They will all soon have their own subscription service.

Dontero

Banned
I have the right to install Steam on a PC of my choosing and access the account in a single instance at any time I choose.

Yeah. Nvidia should just said fuck off. As much i think Geforce thing is garbage it basically provides you with remote PC. No published has the rights to tell me where i can install my own games.

Kdad

It's the location/time shifting of TV argument all over again...this wR was fought 15 years ago and now it's gaming turn.

DaGwaphics

So a complete lack of rights over how you use your own property, as well as exclusivity deal bollocks fragmenting the market and demanding you spend more money than you should have to.

How anyone can still argue that streaming games is 'the future', and not just inarguably worse in every way to what we have currently, just boggles me.

That's the tricky thing about technology, it doesn't always lead exactly where we want it to go. The reality is that streaming will be the future for the casual market at some time in the future, whenever the tech reaches a level that is "good enough" for those users. Enthusiasts will stick with hardware solutions for as long as humanly possible, obviously.

Good. Now Microsoft should do even better and pull titles from Nintendo if they want to communicate seriousness about exclusivity.

Dacon

Banned
Are these companies all too scared that NVIDIA's streaming tech is too good or something?

I think it's more "How can we use this to make money, instead of letting NVDIA stream our games for 'free' ".

This whole situation is kinda laughable tbh.

GHG

Gold Member
Are these companies all too scared that NVIDIA's streaming tech is too good or something?

It's not the tech that they are scared of, it's the openness of the service.

These fuckers want you to buy/pay for everything multiple times and geforce now is a barrier to them doing so.

Geforce now basically allows you to install digital games you already "own" on a remote server and play them anywhere you want via streaming.

Its now becoming apparent that we don't "own" shit and our digital rights are meaningless. Suddenly unless we own the physical hardware our games are running from its not allowed.

Fuckers. Can't wait for the fragmented streaming "future".

I think it's more "How can we use this to make money, instead of letting NVDIA stream our games for 'free' ".

This whole situation is kinda laughable tbh.

It's not free, you need to have purchased the game on steam. These idiots are just robbing themselves of sales at this point since there's no currently available alternative for most of these games.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
It's not free, you need to have purchased the game on steam. These idiots are just robbing themselves of sales at this point since there's no currently available alternative for most of these games.

Yes, I know. That's kind of my point about how ridiculous this is.

Running games off a virtual machine in the cloud isn't anything that's infringing on copyright, and some users have already set up something like this for themselves without Geforce now.

It's literally just about these people wanting to force people to stream the games off of their own servers, instead of from Geforce now. They want to find a way to make people pay for the streaming.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Gamezone

Gold Member
Just curious. Why aren't these publishers going after services like Shadow? Using Shadow I can still play my entire library as far as I'm aware of.

Yes, I know. That's kind of my point about how ridiculous this is.

Running games off a virtual machine in the cloud isn't anything that's infringing on copyright, and some users have already set up something like this for themselves without Geforce now.

It's literally just about these people wanting to force people to stream the games off of their own servers, instead of from Geforce now. They want to find a way to make people pay for the streaming.

Good video from Linus comparing all the services right now including MS beta version

Top Bottom