• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Turing supports integer scaling for unfiltered up-scaling of PC games in new driver. Plus many other new features and performance improvements.

Leonidas

Nvidia is the first GPU manufacturer to implement integer scaling in a public driver. This is an absolute game changer.
Intel will support GPU integer scaling later this month.
AMD is silent on the issue, and it's looking like AMD will be the last to have this feature despite their devout fan-base demanding this feature for years.

New features include
+GPU integer scaling
+much better performance in Apex Legends and Forza Horizon 4
+Ultra-low latency options (faster input response)
+GeForce Experience Sharpening Filter
+Newly validated G-Sync Compatible displays
+30-bit color
+GeForce Experience optimize settings for more games.

Can't wait to try out the sharpening filter while also rendering the game slightly below native res to get a nice FPS bump to see if it's all it's been cracked up to be :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Good stuff, this could be the best GPU driver that released all year.

Last edited:

Shifty

How has it taken this long to get nearest-neighbour scaling... It's such a trivial implementation change :messenger_dizzy:

Still, I'm happy it's finally happened. Those rare 720p-locked titles will finally look good on my 1440p panel.

Leonidas

Do the potential FPS gains include 10 series cards? Or just the 20 series listed in the charts?

10-series will still probably improve too but not to the same extent as Turing. That's my guess anyway. Hopefully third party benchmarks give the answer soon.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

How has it taken this long to get nearest-neighbour scaling... It's such a trivial implementation change :messenger_dizzy:

Still, I'm happy it's finally happened. Those rare 720p-locked titles will finally look good on my 1440p panel.

It took the people whose IGPs used to be laughing stocks adding it for the 'big' GPU vendors to take notice

Keihart

Nonblurry integer-ratio scaling
tldr-issue.png
tldr-solution.png

zeomax

This Driver has a bug. It installs always the GeForce Experience and you can not uncheck it during the installation.

Stitch

Gold Member
Try NVCleanstall. It only installs the driver and not all the other crap Nvidia wants to install

Pagusas

Elden Member
Is the integer scaling option only for 20xx series or does the 10xx series get it too? Would love to use it on my 1080ti

zeomax

Need to choose whether you want GFE or not earlier in the setup with a radio button - they moved it.
No you can not choose. It's a bug, confirmed by Nvidia

NVIDIA has found a bug in our recent 436.02 driver posting, causing it to install GeForce Experience even if the user selects not to install it.

We are pausing the driver download from the NVIDIA website while we fix the issue. Users attempting to download the driver from the NVIDIA website will receive a “404 – Not Found” message when attempting to download.

If you have installed the driver and wish to uninstall GeForce Experience, you can do so from the ‘Window System Settings: Add or Remove programs’.

We apologize for the error and hope to have the fixed driver re-posted soon

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The low latency and integer scaling both sound great. I don't really play a lot of games that can't scale on their own to higher resolutions, but I'm sure it'll be fucking great for the ones that don't scale properly.

I've gotten so used to the usual updates that it's kind of shocking to see actual interesting new features for a change.

Direct through their website doesn't work. That NVCleanstall program worked though (I keep GFE far, far away from my PC).

Direct download isn't working for me either right now. And I won't touch GFE, either.

Last edited:

Shifty

So does this work for windowed games or just full screen?
It works for your entire screen, not specific applications that are running in windowed/fullscreen.

So if you set your desktop resolution to 540p on a 1080p panel, it'll double up the pixels and look sharp like the sprite on the right.

of course when I CAN NOT wait to test how integer scaling looks nvidia pulled the driver for a bug with an option to select ge in it not working. How about you don't bundle it with geforce experience nividia?

lukilladog

Well, let´s see if there was any reason for nvidia to be so reluctant to include this feature, it´s shady that it´s coming only after intel did it.

nkarafo

I'm confused. The blocky, "pixel perfect" image isn't the intended way to see this sprite. The developer takes into account the CRT TV which filters the image a bit so it's closer to the left example but maybe not as blurry.

Personally, i hate when old, low res 2D games look this blocky. They never looked like that on CRTs.

Also, any particular reasoning why Pascal or older cards aren't capable of these features?

Last edited:

Keihart

I'm confused. The blocky, "pixel perfect" image isn't the intended way to see this sprite. The developer takes into account the CRT TV which filters the image a bit so it's closer to the left example but maybe not as blurry.

Personally, i hate when old, low res 2D games look this blocky. They never looked like that on CRTs.

Also, any particular reasoning why Pascal or older cards aren't capable of these features?
I mostly agree with you, just posted the link to an article with the explanations of how it works and why it's useful.
TLDR, it seems to bring back some sharpness in 4K monitors when not reendering in native resolution
Edit: although to be hones,t it would be way cooler to get checkerboard rendering or something similar to what the PS4pro does in that case.

Last edited:

Soltype

Wish they still made crts for enthusiasts, seems like an uphill battle to get features crts had innately.

waylo

Banned
Is this just a preference, or is there something wrong GfE that I haven't noticed?
The times I used it, it horribly optimized my games. It may be better now, but I've got no use for the software, so I just stay away from it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I literally cannot believe this triviality is being treated like some great new feature....

Sony TVs have been using it for years and years with the X1 processor. It’s why their scaler has always been known as “God tiered” in the home theater scene and other manufacturers are finally catching up.

Nethernova

It's Leonidas. Anything that is pro Intel or Pro-nvidia will get attention from him.

I dont know what a Leonidas is, but integer scaling is pretty sweet since 1080p on my 4k set looks fuckin shit and i only use it for gaming so will come in useful for RTX enabled games that run better at 1080/60

Shakka43

The times I used it, it horribly optimized my games. It may be better now, but I've got no use for the software, so I just stay away from it.
I see. I use it because I have an Nvidia Shield and use it to stream my PC games from time to time, fortunately for me I haven't experienced any troubles with it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
GeForce Experience forced itself upon me at a party in Vegas. Every time I look into my son's eyes, I see Jensen Huang looking back.

Top Bottom