• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia to cease 3000 series and replace with anti-crypto mining variant

kiphalfton

They are literally making a whole line of GPU for you to make profit off their products.
They just want their gaming cards to go to gamers.....which is of course evil as fuck, why would make a device for gamers and then want gamers to have it.
What a stupid response. You do realize some people want to game and mine. But now you have to buy 2 cards to do that. You also would probably have uninstall and reinstall the gpu every time you wanted to mine or game, or conversely you would need 2 desktop computers (assuming you can't slot the mining GPU in the second PCIe x 16 slot).

But now they're gimping their graphics cards, when they've never done this in the past, and technically offering less features for the same price (because you just know that Nvidia isn't going to lower the price on the gimped RTX 3000 cards).

There should be an out cry from everybody, and not this nonsensical "oh but Nvidia is doing it for gamers". No they're doing it for themselves, to double up on profits.

There's no positives to this. Like Linus said it's going to create a ton of e-waste, etc. If I were to guess, I would say you only are staying what you're saying because you probably don't have a graphics card, and have deluded yourself into thinking this will make any difference in availability.

Last edited:

horkrux

What a stupid response. You do realize some people want to game and mine. But now you have to buy 2 cards to do that. You also would probably have uninstall and reinstall the gpu every time you wanted to mine or game, or conversely you would need 2 desktop computers (assuming you can't slot the mining GPU in the second PCIe x 16 slot).

How tragic that the mining folk will be inconvenienced by this
My prayers go out to them

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

But now they're gimping their graphics cards, when they've never done this in the past, and technically offering less features for the same price (because you just know that Nvidia isn't going to lower the price on the gimped RTX 3000 cards).

There should be an out cry from everybody, and not this nonsensical "oh but Nvidia is doing it for gamers". No they're doing it for themselves, to double up on profits.

There's no positives to this. Like Linus said it's going to create a ton of e-waste, etc. If I were to guess, I would say you only are staying what you're saying because you probably don't have a graphics card, and have deluded yourself into thinking this will make any difference in availability.
1444f-cryingtherapist.jpg

Wont someone think about the miners.

You can still mine on the algo cards just not at the full rate in Ether, go mine Raven or something.
Itll eventually pay for itself either which way if thats your concern....but if you are a fullblown 24/7 miner....cry more.

P.S The gimped RTXs are unlikely to suffer the same fate as the fullblown because a good portion of the market isnt going to want them.
I couldnt give two shits about the miners
Cry more.

P.P.S Why is there going to be more ewaste?
Because, miners are notorious for not stacking their GPUs, even the RX500 series is still lauded in the mining community because they can be stacked together for a good hashrate.

P.P.P.S Get the fuck outta here with linus cares about ewaste shit, that shill taught his audience about mining now he wants to flip the script.
Fuck that shit ewaste my asshole.

Danknugz

Gave up trying to find. 3090 and also gave up on series x. I got my hands on one series x last year but just gave it to someone. 2080ti will have to do for now quite honestly not that disappointed.

Mister Wolf

Gave up trying to find. 3090 and also gave up on series x. I got my hands on one series x last year but just gave it to someone. 2080ti will have to do for now quite honestly not that disappointed.

We were smart getting 2080Ti. Really softened the blow of the whole debacle.

clem84

Gold Member
I haven't really read up on this but can this really be achieved? Locking a card out of being used to mine crypto?

It seems to me the software used to mine could be made to mimic games in some way and the cards could still be used to mine.

Azurro

Banned
About time. I’ve been trying to buy a RTX 3060ti for months.

The only thing this solves is having so many RTX3070, 80s and 90s in the used market after the mining boom, it's going to be even more difficult to buy one, it's not like they have expanded manufacturing capacity.

Top Bottom