• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia says it built too many GPUs — expect sales while it works on something ‘new’

Sybrix

This statement seems wildly at odds with market realities on the ground. AIB cards are by in large still listed and selling for $50-100+ premiums over their "launch" MSRPs. Now 2 years old and effectively discontinued, they should logically be selling at $100+ discounts under normal circumstances, nevermind a threat of mass miner liquidations, or alleged mountains of unsold cards rotting in warehouses. If AIBs were really sitting on alarming amounts of surplus, there's no way one of them wouldn't have long since cut their whole lineup down to at least FE pricing to firesell it off and leave everyone else holding the bag. Would present quite the opportunity for that company to buy up the lions share of 4XXX inventory and make bank.

Would be a pretty stupid thing to do after waiting this long, even at less than half price (which is realistically never gonna happen). The "$399" 4060 will almost definitely outperform 3080 longterm, and the "$499" 4070 definitely will by a wide margin. So unless you're anticipating like $299 3080s, that doesn't seem the wisest move.

But no 4000 card will be available at launch... or will they?

So i either grab a discounted 3080 in the next few months or risk not getting a 4000 card because out of stock and wait 6+ months for replenishment and all while this is going on i cant get a 3080 because that stock will be depleated.

I am game at 1440p @ 144hz, a 3080 will be more than sufficient for the next 5-10 years, waiting for a 4000 card just to get 20+ more FPS on game ill already get 120+ FPS on with a 3080 doesnt sound to me an unwise move.

It's worth remembering to those people who have 3000 cards, your 3000 card wont suddenly drop 60FPS when the 4000 cards come out........ the performance will still be there, why chase the extra 30+ FPS when you already game at 144FPS+ now?!

Last edited:

kiphalfton

As suspected, RTX 4000 cards wont see the light of day in 2022... thank god.

A 50% discount on current prices is what we need.

Glad i waited to get my 3080, i can wait till the end of the year.

How is that a "thank God" situation? It's been two years since the 3000 series released.

Oh wait, it's always the late adopters who make that argument that they're happy the next gen is being delayed.

Sybrix

How is that a "thank God" situation? It's been two years since the 3000 series released.

Oh wait, it's always the FORCED late adopters due to Crypto miners and scalpers who make that argument that they're happy the next gen is being delayed.

Fixed

gamer82

well since there's no ps vr this Christmas hopefully i can get a decent priced 3080. i just upped my gpu and power supply and need to get rid of my gtx1060 :-(

lukilladog

I don't think they were hoarding chips, just that a huge market segment that would buy as much as they could put out just evaporated over night leaving them with excess manufacturing capacity.

I´m not sure they were selling all they could put out, see, the tsmc CEO admitted that some companies were stockpiling chips 11 months ago (I think he even mentioned amd and nvidia at some point), and I find unlikely that the nvidia CEO who wants to kill cards below $500 just because "they are like a console for your PC" had nothing to do with it. (Lisa Zu is on the same boat for sure, she wants Us to believe the market is moving into high end) and making sure their entry level cards stink.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
What chance is that miners will start to buy them again (at much cheaper price) and cryptocurrency price will go up?

Last edited:

gamer82

i wish NVidia would but some up on there website if they have them not wanting an over priced third party one , keep checking and no such luck here in the uk

Sybrix

i wish NVidia would but some up on there website if they have them not wanting an over priced third party one , keep checking and no such luck here in the uk
Same, I check most days, been out of stock for months now.

But if these discounts are coming soon I’m glad they haven’t had any in stock.

MacReady13

As suspected, RTX 4000 cards wont see the light of day in 2022... thank god.

A 50% discount on current prices is what we need.

Glad i waited to get my 3080, i can wait till the end of the year.
If that is indeed the case, I’m happy to grab a 12gb 3080 by years end a do a new PC build. Fuck waiting for these 4000 series cards. I’ll just keep the 3080 and hold out for the 5000 series.

Orta

Banned
As a goodwill gesture for putting scummy cryptominer before gamers they should give away their surplus of gpu's, hand delivered to us by Mr Huang himself along with the opportunity to punch him in the face.

Crayon

My friend still runs a rx570. He is priced out this gen.

I'm not priced out, but I do too. I have one of the 8 GB ones and it was 180 bucks like 4 years ago. Now, I could get a 6500 with 4 GB for 180 bucks. And it would perform slightly better. I could pay almost twice as much and get a real upgrade, but I'm not too enthusiastic about that. It doesn't seem right that I can't get a real upgrade for the same price four years later.

I can't wait around forever, though. The 570 just gets me by. I'll accept the higher prices at some point. If I couldn't afford it, that would be different. I'd probably be looking at consoles.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If that is indeed the case, I’m happy to grab a 12gb 3080 by years end a do a new PC build. Fuck waiting for these 4000 series cards. I’ll just keep the 3080 and hold out for the 5000 series.
The 308012G should be good for a while.
And you can always sell it mid next year to subsidize buying a 4080Ti......dont get the 4080 if you are coming from a 308012G.
Im calling it right now, the 4080Ti will be better bang for buck than the 4080 simply cuz its likely gonna use AD102 instead of AD103.
Nvidia spoiled us giving us a 3080 that runs on AD102 chip.
So let me get this straight - we won't see the 4000 series release in 2022?
The 4090 will probably drop this year so Nvidia can hold the "best gaming GPU" crown, but I dont expect the bulk of the 4000 series to drop this year.
All their partners still have way way too many 3000 series.
The partners even threatened Nvidia by saying if the dropped 4000 in July as they were supposed to partners were willing to not order the chips, so Nvidias hand was forced.
And with the bulk of the chips still in their warehouses Nvidia have no choice but to skip launching Ada this year.

Cyberpunkd

You reap what you sow I suppose.
This, Nvidia didn’t give a shit when crypto bros were buying the cards and your main customer base couldn’t get it or at massive markup.
They still wouldn’t but now the glut of used cards means Nvidia cannot sell new shiny shit, and crypto bros are not buying.

Fuck Nvidia.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
If your in a rush buy whatevers best value on the deal hunting websites, if you can wait do not touch any current gen card for anything more than 50% of MSRP. the current gen cards are on a massive decline in price and when jensen himself has admitted they have too many in stock you can bet your sweet ass that they will want to clear stock fast.

Reactions: GHG

GymWolf

But no 4000 card will be available at launch... or will they?

So i either grab a discounted 3080 in the next few months or risk not getting a 4000 card because out of stock and wait 6+ months for replenishment and all while this is going on i cant get a 3080 because that stock will be depleated.

I am game at 1440p @ 144hz, a 3080 will be more than sufficient for the next 5-10 years, waiting for a 4000 card just to get 20+ more FPS on game ill already get 120+ FPS on with a 3080 doesnt sound to me an unwise move.

It's worth remembering to those people who have 3000 cards, your 3000 card wont suddenly drop 60FPS when the 4000 cards come out........ the performance will still be there, why chase the extra 30+ FPS when you already game at 144FPS+ now?!
Yeah not sure if you can do 1440p 144hz for the next 5 let alone 10 years with a 3080 in all games tbh...

Last edited:
I see two reasons why Nvidia will release at least the 4080 but maybe also the 4070 this year.

If AMD does release cards that easily outperform the 3070 & 3080 models for under 500 than Nvidia will have to respond even if they originally might have planned to only release the 4090 this year. Nvidia probably has these cards finalised already and with the 30 series not selling they need more models available than just the 4090 before the end of FY2023.

Last edited:

flying_sq

Glad I used my Microcenter warranty to swap a 6900xt to a 3090 ti at $1,500. That warranty is the PC gaming play of the century.

lol "built too many GPUs". yeah right lmao

So they got greedy by jacking up the prices during the crypto craze, and made cards unaffordable to the general public. The bubble bursted so now the miners don't buy the cards by the pallets anymore, and in fact flood the market with used cards. But sure, you "built too many".

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
it's hilarious to believe that leather jacker wearing cunt believed for one second he could fuck over miners by selling a better GPU to gamers. I think they realized at what shit rates these cards will sell soon.. there is no way fighting this with a "better" version.
The could always "update" the 30xx series to run like shit. (yeah nvidia has done this in the past)

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

They deserve this. Miners are not their long term customers its the people who play games.

giphy.gif

They deserve what? A slight drop in price? After making billions during the mining craze?

Oh poor Jensen

Woody Harrelson Crying GIF

GHG

lol "built too many GPUs". yeah right lmao

So they got greedy by jacking up the prices during the crypto craze, and made cards unaffordable to the general public. The bubble bursted so now the miners don't buy the cards by the pallets anymore, and in fact flood the market with used cards. But sure, you "built too many".

Well they did build too many in the context of how many GPU's they used to build & sell prior to the most recent crypto craze. In an ordinary market they probably build and sell half the amount they did in the last couple of years. It also doesn't help that that they were focused on predominantly selling the cards to the wrong people - the crypto miners.

Can't blame them though, they're a business and their primary objective is to make as much money as possible. Anyone else in their position would do the same. Got to make hay when the sun shines.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm not priced out, but I do too. I have one of the 8 GB ones and it was 180 bucks like 4 years ago. Now for 180 bucks, I could get a 6500 with 4 GB for 180 bucks. And it would perform slightly better. I could pay almost twice as much and get a real upgrade, but I'm not too enthusiastic about that. It doesn't seem right that I can't get a real upgrade for the same price four years later.

I can't wait around forever, though. The 570 just gets me by. I'll accept the higher prices at some point. If I couldn't afford it, that would be different. I'd probably be looking at consoles.
Same boat, glad I went with the 8 gig version even though at the time people said it was a waste. For 1080p gaming it is still scraping by, but I just bought an oculus and really need something more powerful for that.

Sentenza

Their operative revenue is borderline of breaking even,
?
No, it isn't?
They have netted more and more profits year after year to the point of considerably outsizing even "tech giants" of the past that used to dwarf them.
They are still massively profitable.

OZ9000

Banned
Tbh I've waited so damn long with my 2070S that I may wait another year until I can grab a 4070 or 4080.

There seems very little point in buying the 3080 now when my current GPU plays all games at 1440p60 or 4k60 with DLSS.

GreatnessRD

My people, don't buy a got damn thing until these GPUs are well below OG MSRP. Being able to buy these GPUs at 2-year old regular price is not a deal. And you have the newer GPUs on the way in a couple months? Remember how Nvidia, AMD and the AIB's took advantage during the Covid Era. Hit them pockets!

Ironbunny

?
No, it isn't?
They have netted more and more profits year after year to the point of considerably outsizing even "tech giants" of the past that used to dwarf them.
They are still massively profitable.

Their stock has halved just in this year. Its all about the stock holders. Now if they cant move the old stock and competition is moving to release new products NVIDIA has to answer somehow.

Last edited:
Yes exactly, fuck these bitches. The GPUs are above MSRP still, 2 year later. Meanwhile AMD GPU prices are dropping. 3080 better drop to 500usd. This artificial price inflation of budget range like 3050 is an abhorrent practise. That shit better cost 150-70 usd in upcoming months.
No. They are selling below MSRP right now. Go look on Newegg. You can find multiple 3080s for $700 right now. That's $700 for a third party 3080. At the time if launch the cheapest none founders 3080 was $769 I believe, and many were well over $800 at launch.

I think part of the problem is that you believe that $700 is "MSRP" for the 3080 just bc Nvidia sold like 12 founders edition GPUs at that fake low price like they also did last generation. Then the board partners started their pricing at 769. Those same cards from those same partners can be found below $700 right now.

So even if we go with the fantasy that 3080s were EVER actually $700 MSRP, yes you can find them below $700 right now.

That said, I don't think it's a great deal to get a 2 year old gpu at just 10 percent off MSRP so wait for next gen or a REAL price cut

Last edited:

Ironbunny

No. They are selling below MSRP right now. Go look on Newegg. You can find multiple 3080s for $700 right now. That's $700 for a third party 3080. At the time if launch the cheapest none founders 3080 was $769 I believe, and many were well over $800 at launch.

I think part of the problem is that you believe that $700 is "MSRP" for the 3080 just bc Nvidia sold like 12 founders edition GPUs at that fake low price like they also did last generation. Then the board partners started their pricing at 769. Those same cards from those same partners can be found below $700 right now.

So even if we go with the fantasy that 3080s were EVER actually $700 MSRP, yes you can find them below $700 right now.

That said, I don't think it's a great deal to get a 2 year old gpu at just 10 percent off MSRP so wait for next gen or a REAL price cut

3080 is still 200e($) more expensive then the day I bought it on release here

Last edited:
The only card on the shelf at my local Best Buy is a GTX 1650 4GB for $179.99.
It's on sale. Does anyone want me to pick it up and drive all the way to deliver it for them? Gas money would be appreciated.

Crayon

Same boat, glad I went with the 8 gig version even though at the time people said it was a waste. For 1080p gaming it is still scraping by, but I just bought an oculus and really need something more powerful for that.

Here's what I've been doing to wring blood out of the stone: the thing will push 1152p in a lot games that I would normally consider it a 1080p card. Things like Tekken 7, dmc5, overload, etc. I force fsr 1.0 to scale it to 1440p and fsr has around 10% more pixels to work with compared to scaling from 1080p.

The resulting image does not look like 1440 (not even close!) but it gets an appreciable bump from native 1080. Imo, at least. Main caveat is that some elements of an image benefit more than others. I do it through dxvk, but I know there's some way to force fsr on windows, too.

rochet

Amazon are doing some 5mo equal payments for amazon prime members on some of 3x series. Not to confuse with buy now pay later. Check it out.
3090 Link

Last edited:

Myths

The wait was worth it… but 40 series is around the corner. The power difference is something to keep in mind which we can’t quite ascertain just off reports.

Top Bottom