• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia says it built too many GPUs — expect sales while it works on something ‘new’

That’s crazy, the problem is not that they produced too many units, the problem is that they expected they can continue keep selling out at ridiculous prices to miners. I mean they just made this whole LHR thing to pretend to care, but in reality they knew it can be easily avoided and was happy that the miners bought the cards.

NVidia is just greedy and really love it when the world falls apart as long as it means a bigger profit for them. I really hate it, but I think other companies are not better.

Majukun

They underpriced them if anything as evidenced by the 1.5 year shortage. But nobody in here cares about how economics work anyway so whatever.
ok prof :"they had a profit margin so huge that i'm sure they are not gonna lose that much money with the price cut, if any"

better?:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
ok prof :"they had a profit margin so huge that i'm sure they are not gonna lose that much money with the price cut, if any"

better?:messenger_tears_of_joy:
No because this isn't how businesses operate. Why would they leave free money on the table? I wouldn't and neither would you. Also, underpricing products leads to a shortage. No idea what's pro-consumer about pricing a product in a way that makes in perpetually unavailable.

Last edited:

Pejo

I'm gonna not be cynical for a change and hope we actually do get decently priced 30XX cards. My 2070 Super has done me well for a few years but it gets red hot trying to do 4k for games released in the past year or so.

Majukun

No because this isn't how businesses operate. Why would they leave free money on the table? I wouldn't and neither would you. Also, underpricing products leads to a shortage. No idea what's pro-consumer about pricing a product in a way that makes in perpetually unavai
why are you saying this to me? what has it to do with the content of my previous posts?

Last edited:
why are you saying this to me? what has it to do with the content of my previous posts?
I guess I don't understand what you were trying to say then? Clearly, business will seek to maximize profits. You insinuated that their profits were so good, there was no need to increase prices, which isn't how businesses operate. Businesses will ideally charge what the market can bear. So I'm challenging your understanding of business essentially.

Last edited:
Lol good luck Nvidia. You helped chase me away from PC gaming back to consoles with the ridiculous prices of hardware. Digital sales aren’t any better than physical the last few years, so it won’t make up the cost. I have an awesome home theater setup now and it’s much more enjoyable than my PC. This is what happens when you make the platform supremely expensive.

Buggy Loop

So cute the rebellious posts here

✅ PC gaming not comfortable without couch like console

Is the cherry on top

w1I90I.gif

Nvidia and AMD are on the balcony drinking champagne while you think you make a dent in their market.

PaintTinJr

Ultimately the only way out of this hole where gamers and sellers can be winners IMO is that nvidia need to rework most of their higher end stock and retro-grade them to RTX 3060 or 3060ti performance and then sell all that stock below $250/£200 to satisfy the budget gamer market and whatever is left (3070/3080/3090) try and sell at MSRP to those that can justify those prices.

Mainstream being able to upgrade to RTX 3060 at old 1060ti pricing + inflation will see them fly off shelve and save the awkward situation of many high end 30xx series cards being priced massively below 40xx counterparts at comparable performance.

Lol good luck Nvidia. You helped chase me away from PC gaming back to consoles with the ridiculous prices of hardware. Digital sales aren’t any better than physical the last few years, so it won’t make up the cost. I have an awesome home theater setup now and it’s much more enjoyable than my PC. This is what happens when you make the platform supremely expensive.
What do you mean by digital sales can’t pc play discs?

As suspected, RTX 4000 cards wont see the light of day in 2022... thank god.

A 50% discount on current prices is what we need.

Glad i waited to get my 3080, i can wait till the end of the year.
They should do both discount the 3000 series to get it out the door but also release the 4000 series (heck if they do that then they may be forced to not price the 4090 unreasonably)

But no 4000 card will be available at launch... or will they?

So i either grab a discounted 3080 in the next few months or risk not getting a 4000 card because out of stock and wait 6+ months for replenishment and all while this is going on i cant get a 3080 because that stock will be depleated.

I am game at 1440p @ 144hz, a 3080 will be more than sufficient for the next 5-10 years, waiting for a 4000 card just to get 20+ more FPS on game ill already get 120+ FPS on with a 3080 doesnt sound to me an unwise move.

It's worth remembering to those people who have 3000 cards, your 3000 card wont suddenly drop 60FPS when the 4000 cards come out........ the performance will still be there, why chase the extra 30+ FPS when you already game at 144FPS+ now?!
Games get more demanding my guy a 3080 is not gonna be getting 144fps

What do you mean by digital sales can’t pc play discs?

Which PC games have had mass market physical releases in the last few years? It’s not many, and the prices wouldn’t be any different than digital storefronts. PC games just don’t get discounted like they used to.

My people, don't buy a got damn thing until these GPUs are well below OG MSRP. Being able to buy these GPUs at 2-year old regular price is not a deal. And you have the newer GPUs on the way in a couple months? Remember how Nvidia, AMD and the AIB's took advantage during the Covid Era. Hit them pockets!
Which PC games have had mass market physical releases in the last few years? It’s not many, and the prices wouldn’t be any different than digital storefronts. PC games just don’t get discounted like they used to.
I don’t care about discounts that much I just care about physical media it’s 99% of my library on console

I wish. Newegg US has them for 500. Most EU amazon's show 650 - they are massively overpriced in the EU.

3080 for 450 - 3080Ti for 600. Im personally not interested otherwise.

In all honestly, if sources are true, were in for a massive drop (at least in the US). There are tons of 3xxx card siting in warehouses and miners are still trying to offload theirs.

We wont see sub 400 in the EU for a few good months. The Americans are in for a treat though, prices are plummeting fast
600 for a 3080 ti is a joke at this point that should be 400.

OZ9000

Banned
I'd buy a 3080 for £400.

However I expect price gouging to continue for the next 2 years.

The economy is shit with inflation at double digits so I don't anticipate very heavy discounts.

Thebonehead

Banned
It's worth remembering to those people who have 3000 cards, your 3000 card wont suddenly drop 60FPS when the 4000 cards come out........ the performance will still be there, why chase the extra 30+ FPS when you already game at 144FPS+ now?!
Flight simulator in vr is why I'll drop my 3080 when the 4000 series launches.

winjer

Gold Member
I hope they choke on them. The prices are fucking insane.

Not only the prices. Also the power consumption.
Even mid range cards now have high power consumption figures. Remember that a top end 1080 Ti only used 230W while gaming.
NVidia is changing it's strategy to having smaller chips, that are cheaper to make, but ramping clock speeds with no regards for power consumption.
At a time when energy prices are beating records.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I heard the other day that power draw is not as bad as initial leaks and might surprise some people that were expecting the power draw to be ridiculously high.

winjer

Gold Member
Yeah think it will be half that for the 4090...I hope. Haha

These leaks are all over the place. so we have to wait for official confirmation.
The good news is that we don't have to wait much.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
These leaks are all over the place. so we have to wait for official confirmation.
The good news is that we don't have to wait much.

Yeah, not long now. The companyni wotk for can no longer buy 3080 ti as its been EOL so I expect an announcement soon.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

I may end up going 7900 xt then

That's only shave off couple of 100 giving you worse raytracing performance. I've just built a new pc with 12900k ddr5 and that cost £2002 without the gpu your going have lower expectations if your going stick to your 2500 budget

That's only shave off couple of 100 giving you worse raytracing performance. I've just built a new pc with 12900k ddr5 and that cost £2002 without the gpu your going have lower expectations if your going stick to your 2500 budget
I have a 1000w power supply already that I got on sale so that can be deducted. I’m gonna be building it myself which should help with the cost

OZ9000

Banned
Not only the prices. Also the power consumption.
Even mid range cards now have high power consumption figures. Remember that a top end 1080 Ti only used 230W while gaming.
NVidia is changing it's strategy to having smaller chips, that are cheaper to make, but ramping clock speeds with no regards for power consumption.
At a time when energy prices are beating records.

That's fucking ridiculous esp for a midrange card.

Electricity prices are set to double or triple over here.

GymWolf

As a guy that has to build a system with a 4080 from basically scratch you are making me rethink my life choices...

Moochi

My bet is that 3090s are still going to be expensive because of the machine learning image generation trend, which requires as much VRAM as you can feed it, and is poised to blow up.

Top Bottom