• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 4090 Ti Reportedly Cancelled Due to GPU Melting Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
https://gamerant.com/nvidia-rtx-4090-ti-cancelled-gpu-melting-pc-power-supplies/

Nvidia-RTX-4090-cancelled-after-reports-of-melting-PSUs.jpg

The new Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 Ti may not be released, as it's reported that the powerful GPU melts down, destroying itself and PC power supplies.

During NVIDIA's own green room testing, the GPU manufacturer has reportedly found that its most powerful Lovelace GPU actually melts itself, and in the process destroys PC power supplies. Concerns about the GPU's performance have potentially led NVIDIA to not release it on the market.

The report comes as prices on NVIDIA's previous generation of RTX 3090 GPUs have begun to fall, with Amazon offering early access sales on various models. Despite the realistic prices, many PC gamers were eager to try the new generation of RTX GPUs, which boasts a nearly 50 percent performance increase over the previous generation.

A source close to YouTuber Moore's Law is Dead (a popular technology, gaming, and lifestyle writer and podcast personality) reported that the NVIDIA RTX 4090 Ti is simply too powerful for now. Also, the source reported that the RTX 4090 Ti won't be headed to market anytime soon. Supposedly, the powerful GPU was tripping breakers, melting power supplies, and sometimes the actual GPU was melting as well. Despite these concerning hardware failures, NVIDIA's team green still has time to work out the problem and determine a way to create a working RTX 4090 Ti.

NVIDIA has found itself with increased competition over the years, as Intel has been working to create a comparable GPU at lower prices. PC gamers are usually looking for the most power for their dollar, and the GPU space is ultra-competitive.

RTX features have become popular among PC gamers, especially since RTX enhancements improve gameplay and graphics.. Multiple titles have been updated to include NVIDIA's DLSS software, which boosts game performance using artificial intelligence, allowing gamers to play titles on high graphical settings without sacrificing frame rates. PC gamers are known to have a penchant for pushing the boundaries of game performance, and the RTX 4090 Ti would have been a popular option among those hungry for high-end 4K gameplay and live-streaming.

Various partner-brand 3080 Ti cards made news in 2021 and 2022 when the GPUs seemed to fail, leaving gamers with a black screen and wailing GPU fans. Many gamers blamed Amazon Game's MMORPG New World for the GPU failures, while others blamed the poor build quality of the partner-brand GPUs themselves. It's certain that NVIDIA wanted to redefine GPU power with the RTX 4090 Ti, but if these reports are true, gamers might have to wait before we see that technology functioning in a safe, usable fashion.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The thing is that we heard all about how much power the 4090 would use and reviewers have been surprised at how it runs. The power draw is lower than anticipated and can run off 3 of the 4 PCI connectors.

While it's easy to write articles and report things like this, you have to remember that these things happen more than you may think during stress testing to fine tune the HW.

It's also easy to piggyback off some perceived Nvidia negativity and make articles like this all day including Sunday.

The consumer (like me) who wants the performance offered knowing the costs simply care about when/where we can buy.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Hahahaha.
MLID up to his usual bullshit.
And when the card gets released and doesnt melt itself or the PSU he will delete the video/tweet and act like it never happened right?

The 4090 as is, runs surprisingly cool, the card can be set to use 60% power as in 360Ws, and still get like 97% of its gaming performance.
No chance the 4090Ti with ~2000 extra CUDA cores is suddenly going to melt itself.

Don't PSU's have protection against that sort of thing?
Not just that.
The 12pin cable has those 4 sensor plugs.
People have tested it by unplugging the sensor cables, and if the sensors "tell" the GPU that it doesnt have enough power, the GPU simply wont turn on.

Nvidia maybe should take that as a hint to calm the fuck down with stupid power hungry cards. We didn't really need a PSU 3.0 revision but here we are... thousands of perfectly fine PSUs will need to be replaced now just because Nvidia want to throw more power at the cards.

Maybe they should focus on making the cards less power hungry and more efficient.

OZ9000

Banned
I always joked about Novideo, but their gpus are now literally providing no video because they're too busy frying your computer
5000 series better be all about power efficiency improvements, this shit is fucking stupid
Agree.

I genuinely don't give a fuck about the most powerful GPU if uses more power than a household microwave.

I'd love to see 4090 performance with 150-200W less in next generation.

Black_Stride

Nvidia maybe should take that as a hint to calm the fuck down with stupid power hungry cards. We didn't really need a PSU 3.0 revision but here we are... thousands of perfectly fine PSUs will need to be replaced now just because Nvidia want to throw more power at the cards.

Maybe they should focus on making the cards less power hungry and more efficient.

The RTX 4090 is a ridiculously efficient card?
What do you mean by power hungry?

In gaming its in the region of 360 - 400W.
You can powerlimit to max 360W and itll draw sub 300Ws yet still blitz through pretty much any game you throw at it.
5HlMrIk.png

sn0man

I can tell you right now the measuring stick for if we see a quick 4090ti and it’s (shocker) not some rumored power issue.

It’s AMD. We all know it. If RDNA3 sucks (I think that’s the current rumor based on all these Jack-holes YouTube video titles) then there will be no real pressure for a 4090ti. There won’t be any price movement on the 4070 with a 4080 name. There won’t be a real 4080. It’ll just be NVIDIA riding those profits.

If RDNA3 is surprisingly good/competitive NVIDIA will react. Prices will move. Magically TI and super variants will appear.

I say all this as a 1080 and 3080 owning NVIDIA fanboy household.

Akuji

imaging believing that it melts xDDDDDDDDD
lol the knowledge of people must be pretty limited.
Also there are plenty of power suplys capable of delivering that power easily.

lol what a shitshow of a argument

kiphalfton

Source: Moores Law is Dead.

I think I'm going to skip believing a rumor from someone who is almost never right regarding Nvidia leaks.

Dude would make a great news weatherman.

He has the look and his predictions are barely ever right.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

It not something you just can magically you can implement in 1 month
Are you assuming the 4090Ti is a month out?
That thing is at the earliest 6 months away.
I can imagine they could have upgraded DisplayPorts by then.

<--Doubts its gonna come with new Display ports.

I can tell you right now the measuring stick for if we see a quick 4090ti and it’s (shocker) not some rumored power issue.

It’s AMD. We all know it. If RDNA3 sucks (I think that’s the current rumor based on all these Jack-holes YouTube video titles) then there will be no real pressure for a 4090ti. There won’t be any price movement on the 4070 with a 4080 name. There won’t be a real 4080. It’ll just be NVIDIA riding those profits.

If RDNA3 is surprisingly good/competitive NVIDIA will react. Prices will move. Magically TI and super variants will appear.

I say all this as a 1080 and 3080 owning NVIDIA fanboy household.
Apparently Nvidia "unlaunched" 12GB 4080 and changed it to 16GB. So maybe there is some pressure from AMD - or they just saw that people aren't really that stupid. I will personally just wait and see. Not a fanboy of either brand. But I still remember the days of ATI being better than Nvidia and I'm just curious if AMD will up their game with RDNA3 or not.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Just require the user to use it in the vacuum of space, problem solved.

//DEVIL//

Apparently Nvidia "unlaunched" 12GB 4080 and changed it to 16GB. So maybe there is some pressure from AMD - or they just saw that people aren't really that stupid.
They didn’t change it to 16. 16 existed day one along with 12.

They probably just renaming it from the heat they got and they don’t want to tarnish the 80 series when the 3090 is more powerful than 4080 12gb. This will cause the sales of the 16g card to tank because of the confusion

What happened was something like:
Jens: we need to charge allot for our 4070. What should we do
Marketing team: let’s call it 4080.
Jens: that’s a brilliant idea just like me. Let’s do it..

Most probably the guy in the marketing team was fired today.

Last edited:
Based on the videos I've seen of the 4090 compared to the 3090 I don't believe this for a second. The 4090FE runs pretty cool and the performance increase over the 3090 compared to the power used shows it to be a much more efficient GPU.

SantaC

Are you assuming the 4090Ti is a month out?
That thing is at the earliest 6 months away.
I can imagine they could have upgraded DisplayPorts by then.

<--Doubts its gonna come with new Display ports.
Yes i assume that because they need it if RDNA3 is good.

6 months from now is too late for nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom