• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 3060 announced: 13TF, 12GB GDDR6 - $329, (un)available late February

GHG

Gold Member
Last edited:

amigastar

undecided between the RTX 3060 and 3060Ti. In the end the prize and availability will decide it for me.

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

when the weaker version has more vram

fucking wat
From Nvidias reddit -

192-bit memory bus means either 6 or 12 GB of VRAM (since 1.5 GB GDDR6 chips basically don’t exist), and they decided 6 wasn’t going to be enough for the card.
That’s also part of why the 3080 has 10 GB of GDDR6X and the 3090 has 24 but with chips on both sides of the board - 320 or 384-bit bus respectively and only 1 GB GDDR6X chips existed at the time.

Basically it's a great workstation card for content creators and the like, which can also be used for gaming, but won't outperform 3070 or 3060ti with less memory.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
From Nvidias reddit -

192-bit memory bus means either 6 or 12 GB of VRAM (since 1.5 GB GDDR6 chips basically don’t exist), and they decided 6 wasn’t going to be enough for the card.
That’s also part of why the 3080 has 10 GB of GDDR6X and the 3090 has 24 but with chips on both sides of the board - 320 or 384-bit bus respectively and only 1 GB GDDR6X chips existed at the time.

Well its a shame they didn't extend this logic for the rest of their lineup (with exception to the 3090).

Orta

Banned
Interesting. Might be the first time I opt for a sub-xx70 card if its 1440p performance is up to task.

Arkam

The X60.... the value sweet spot. Will be interested in benchmarks to see if it will be worth upgrading from my 1060. For 1080p gaming it is still doing well, but I want to go 1440 on my PC next year.

GHG

Gold Member
The X60.... the value sweet spot. Will be interested in benchmarks to see if it will be worth upgrading from my 1060. For 1080p gaming it is still doing well, but I want to go 1440 on my PC next year.

On the livestream they mentioned it has been designed for those who are looking to upgrade their 1060 cards and that it's ideal for 1440p.

Last edited:

Arkam

On the livestream they mentioned it has been designed for those who are looking to upgrade their 1060 cards and that it's ideal for 1440p.
Well alright then! Thank you Nvidia for reading my mind and fulfilling my hopes and dreams!

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
When I sell my 2060 Super this will be a free upgrade if I can find one.

Md Ray

I can see a scenario where RTX 3070 will get choked to death when using max quality texture in a future game from a studio like id Software whereas the RTX 3060 will have no such issues.

Here's an extreme e.g. at 4K.

Performance gets dragged down when you're VRAM bound. Look at this!

2.png

RTX 3060 Ti = RTX 3070!

Hold off on getting your RTX 3060 Ti and 3070, people.

EDIT:
But rants aside...

My thoughts on RTX 3060 is positive. I can see it being toe to toe with XSX/PS5 is rasterization, or slightly below (depending on games), should be able to handle higher quality textures than consoles in next-gen games. And you get the usual DLSS, faster RT perf, full DX Ultimate support, and now resizable bar support too, for all the 20, 30-series GPUs.

Last edited:

Reallink

I can see a scenario where RTX 3070 will get choked to death when using max quality texture in a future game from a studio like id Software whereas the RTX 3060 will have no such issues.

Here's an extreme e.g. at 4K.

Performance gets dragged down when you're VRAM bound. Look at this!

2.png

RTX 3060 Ti = RTX 3070!

Hold off on getting your RTX 3060 Ti and 3070, people.

In 6 months to a year the 3080 will hit the same wall with select titles/settings.

rofif

Banned
when the weaker version has more vram

fucking wat
this is so outrageous... I've bought 3080fe like week after release and now 3060 has 2gb more vram ?!
lol fuck pc gaming. officially... At least I've paid 699 for is and sold free watch dogs for 30 so fair enough.
good luck buying 12gb 3060 for 670 :p

Skifi28

I get the reasoning behind 12 over 6gb, but it's downright insulting for the 27 people that already bought the more expensive versions. The logic should have been the same for all cards.

Redefine07

I feel bad and happy at the same time I got a RTX 3060 Ti , ffs. 12GB VRAM and I got 8GB >.< FU Nvidia my last GPU from them was GTX 560 Ti , looks like my last one this time is 3060 Ti >.<

tkscz

Sounds good to me, or would sound good if I didn't already expect them to be sold out everywhere the moment they hit. I'll try to get one, lord knows I need to replace my R9 380x already.

I'm just glad no elitist "WhO wOuLd EvEn WaNt To BuY tHiS!?" type has entered this thread.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Fuck of nVidia and fuck scalpers...

Can’t get a decent RTX card anywhere. Barstards.

johntown

Banned
There better be a 3080ti or Super version announced. I really don't want to shell out for a 3090 but if I cannot get a card with decent VRAM I have little choice.

Xdrive05

Yeah this is definitely my next GPU when I can find one at MSRP in a reputable make.

Coming from a Maxwell card, too. Going from 4GB to 12GB will be fantastic. Not to mention finally getting ray tracing and DLSS and all the rest of it.

Make zillions of them, Jensen!

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Inno3D cards:

Inno3d-RTX-3060-1200x800.jpg

Inno3d-RTX-3060-Graphics-Cards-1.jpg

Inno3d-RTX-3060-Graphics-Cards-2.jpg

Inno3D cards:

Inno3d-RTX-3060-1200x800.jpg

Inno3d-RTX-3060-Graphics-Cards-1.jpg

Inno3d-RTX-3060-Graphics-Cards-2.jpg

Can there be 1 card, just 1 card where it doesn't look garrish and tacky like the above examples?
What happened to sophistication when it comes to design.

Good lord, all these cards look like baby Transformers.

Top Bottom