• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Reportedly Moving Ampere to 7 nm TSMC in 2021

llien

A report straight from DigiTimes claims that NVIDIA is looking to upgrade their Ampere consumer GPUs from Samsung's 8 nm to TSMC's 7 nm. According to the source, the volume of this transition should be "very large", but most likely wouldn't reflect the entirety of Ampere's consumer-facing product stack. The report claims that TSMC has become more "friendly" to NVIDIA. This could be because TSMC now has available manufacturing capacity in 7 nm due to some of its clients moving to the company's 5 nm node, or simply because TSMC hadn't believed NVIDIA to consider Samsung as a viable foundry alternative - which it now does - and has thus lowered pricing.

There are various reasons being leveraged at this, none with substantial grounds other than "reported from industry sources". NVIDIA looking for better yields is one of the appointed reasons, as is its history as a TSMC customer. NVIDIA shouldn't have too high a cost porting its manufacturing to TSMC in terms of design changes to the silicon level so as to cater to different characteristics of TSMC's 7 nm, because the company's GA100 GPU (Ampere for the non-consumer market) is already manufactured at TSMC. The next part of this post is mere (relatively informed) speculation, so take that with a saltier disposition than what came before.

Users following hardware news would be able to see through the BS.
Funny how xx80 perf level card will be missing on NV side now.
GA104 cannot beat BigNavi, and GA102 is not viable either, chuckle. (just my conclusions though, don't worry until 28th of Oct)

Last edited:

martino

agree with that post in your link :
Price and performance will stay the same, power consumption will drop a little, NVIDIA margin will rise a little.

i will add oc will probably be better and it will be easier to respond.
going to Samsung paid for them if tsmc reacted to it.

Better performance, lower cost due lighter cooling. We probably will see 16GB "3090"+ level GPU, with 3080 cooling solution, aka 3080TiSuper.

Glad I've wai....couldn't get one, lol.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Better performance, lower cost due lighter cooling. We probably will see 16GB "3090"+ level GPU, with 3080 cooling solution, aka 3080Ti.

Glad I've wai....couldn't get one, lol.

Or they're going to move over to 4xxx end of next year. Especially if AMD puts out a competitive product (lol)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
In the meantime at TSMC....

giphy.gif

Top Bottom