• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia plans to lock Game Ready drivers behind GeForce Experience registration

I know it is resolved. I have an AMD videocard too. But saying that a driver is "great" when it releases with such bugs is straight up misleading. So please stop derailing the thread with AMD advertising.

It *is* great. Every driver will have bugs, they are often released with a list of known issues. This one was patched within days, and caused minimal grief to a fraction of users. Am I the one here advertising or are you the one here smearing? The fact is, the drivers are solid, available, and come with very decent boosts to performance as well as a very nice UI.

GFE is an absolute pile of shite. Installed it recently in preparation for this, it installed a crap load of services and executables I couldn't kill or prevent from running on boot. Piss off, Nvidia.

dr_rus

It *is* great. Every driver will have bugs, they are often released with a list of known issues. This one was patched within days, and caused minimal grief to a fraction of users. Am I the one here advertising or are you the one here smearing? The fact is, the drivers are solid, available, and come with very decent boosts to performance as well as a very nice UI.

You are talking about AMD drivers in a thread about NV software. Even if you're not advertising giving misleading statements you're derailing the thread.

Also - I see no confirmation that the JC3 driver is being pushed through GFE anywhere.

Riddick

Pray to everything that is holy that AMD doesn't crumble. Both Nvidia and Intel are asshole companies that would completely screw the consumers if they ever had a monopoly.

You are talking about AMD drivers in a thread about NV software. Even if you're not advertising giving misleading statements you're derailing the thread.

Also - I see no confirmation that the JC3 driver is being pushed through GFE anywhere.

Eh... you are the one derailing the thread. He made a fair reply to a previous comment. It's normal to make comparisons in this kind of threads, it's like commenting on Battlefield in comparison to Call of Duty in a BF thread. They were talking of the experiences of these kind of driver/apps.

I gave up on their stupid software ever since it bugged out and kept giving a "failed to connect" error when I try to download drivers. So this basically means I won't be able to download Games ready drivers at all.

Arkanius

I don't like GFE because it installs a crapload of bloat services.
The only good part is Shadowplay, unfortunately. It could be way more but it is not.

Smash88

Banned
I don't see the issue. Running win 10 and I have zero GFE issues.

nRJjitg

You'll have to log in to origin to get a uplay code, to register on raptr, which will unlock a steam key which then allows you to download a single driver on geforce experience.

Deceitful-Fox

Neo Member
Firstly, I am also having issues getting GFE to run on Windows 10.

Secondly, goddamn it AMD, LIIIIIIVE! I know I haven't ever bought your GPUs but we need you around!

dr_rus

Eh... you are the one derailing the thread. He made a fair reply to a previous comment. It's normal to make comparisons in this kind of threads, it's like commenting on Battlefield in comparison to Call of Duty in a BF thread. They were talking of the experiences of these kind of driver/apps.

Oh so you want to compare and not shitpost incorrect information? Ok let's compare then.

NV has released 14 WHQL certified drivers in 2015.
If you add beta, hotfix and developer releases the number goes up to almost 30 driver releases in 2015.

AMD has released 3 WHQL certified drivers in 2015.
If you add beta and hotfix releases the number goes up to 11 releases in 2015.

Zero driver releases has been locked behind GFE as of right now.

Now even if we generously assume that 90% of NV's driver releases will be locked behind the GFE download we're still looking at 3 Web driver releases per year which is basically the same number that AMD provides with their WHQL releases right now.

I'm also 100% sure that if you feel that you hate GFE then you will still be able to download these locked releases from the Web, just not from the nvidia.com website.

How's that for comparison?

Oh so you want to compare and not shitpost incorrect information? Ok let's compare then.

NV has released 14 WHQL certified drivers in 2015.
If you add beta, hotfix and developer releases the number goes up to almost 30 driver releases in 2015.

AMD has released 3 WHQL certified drivers in 2015.
If you add beta and hotfix releases the number goes up to 11 releases in 2015.

Zero driver releases has been locked behind GFE as of right now.

Now even if we generously assume that 90% of NV's driver releases will be locked behind the GFE download we're still looking at 3 Web driver releases per year which is basically the same number that AMD provides with their WHQL releases right now.

I'm also 100% sure that if you feel that you hate GFE then you will still be able to download these locked releases from the Web, just not from the nvidia.com website.

How's that for comparison?

Locking any behind anything is fucking stupid. Their GFE junk is basically spyware so they can scan hardware and market crap. If they don't release separate Drivers I will opt for hacked ones and if those don't happen NVIDIA can kiss my ass. They are outgrowing their ego and it's gross. AMD has done pretty well considering the sabotage they have gone through thanks to Intel and NVIDIA in the past.

Teletraan1

Banned

That image is a bit fucked for this situation and even the one in the comic. Comparing a heart attack to someone complaining about having to register or having a few CPU cycles stolen is a bit of a stretch. A person's good experience with something is just as valid as another person's bad experience. This is a discussion forum not Nvidia's complaint department.

That image is a bit fucked for this situation and even the one in the comic. Comparing a heart attack to someone complaining about having to register or having a few CPU cycles stolen is a bit of a stretch. A person's good experience with something is just as valid as another person's bad experience. This is a discussion forum not Nvidia's complaint department.

Yup.... but we get it tossed at us now for being pissed with what nvidia is doing lol, I am out of this topic lol some people are fucking unreal when you say something bad about their favourite "thing"

I've noticed criticism in general no matter the topic isn't met well on here. Makes it hard to point out flaws and problems when the knights in shining armour fly in on a whim

Smash88

Banned

I respectfully disagree. It is a fair comparison in my opinion. People do not want an arbitrary piece of software, that many have no need of and has been known to cause issues. Further, I feel that people who did not feel that a piece of bloatware should be forced on them and have been issuing their grievances in this thread (and the known bugs and glitches it brings with it) only for others to come here and go "I see no issue... Works fine for me" feels disengious - similar to the grievance which the comic has portrayed. The heart comparison is in no way "fucked", it offers a fair analogy on what I feel the poster who I quoted has displayed.

Thus, I feel the comic is valid for this situation.

sirap

In the past 3 years, I've bought 12 Titans, countless Shield products and more recently 3 Titan Xs. I'm a big fan of Nvidia's hardware, but even I can admit that they've done a lot of shady shit in the software side.

wazoo

I have no problems with people coming saying they do not want restrictions.

But, since, many times, this complain comes with the "AMD is so good" comment, you just think some people have an agenda.

As for GFE being crap, this is just a personal opinion, and then, opinions of people with no problems should be valued as much.

EDIt: as I said, concerning AMD they are coming - late - with the same kind of service and "crapware" and BOTH will be in the end equal in that respect.

dr_rus

Locking any behind anything is fucking stupid. Their GFE junk is basically spyware so they can scan hardware and market crap. If they don't release separate Drivers I will opt for hacked ones and if those don't happen NVIDIA can kiss my ass. They are outgrowing their ego and it's gross. AMD has done pretty well considering the sabotage they have gone through thanks to Intel and NVIDIA in the past.

Oh I fully agree with that. I don't use GFE and I don't plan to use it ever in its current form. But this has nothing to do with AMD. And I really don't think that lying about their drivers will help AMD in any way - it ought to do quite the opposite actually. Let's stop at this in that conversation.

Spacejaws

Isn't it the enhuthiast gamers who are more likely to avoid GFE as it is just a bunch of bloatware when they are trying to optimise their system?

Casuals sound like the types that will just whammy next - next - next on driver install and end up running with GFE anyway...

Personally I hate this idea as someone who once did have issues running GFE (it caused a crash when playing the shutdown audio file requiring a hard power down everytime if it was installed)

I don't have a problem with this. What's the big deal? Opt out of advertising if it's an issue with giving a company your email address.

Note to self: take two minutes to register GFE when I get home

Durante

AMD has done pretty well considering the sabotage they have gone through thanks to Intel and NVIDIA in the past.
Oh my god we are back to this utter bullshit.

Having your (few) driver engineers working on a new API instead of improving your support for existing and commonly used standards and then performing worse when those existing APIs are actually used as specified (while pushing out marketing material claiming that this specification doesn't work) is not "sabotage".
It's a resource allocation decision.

Mihos

Gold Member
Kind of a crappy move, but honestly, registering made using multiple shield devices much easier... so I would have done it anyway.

Work around is to turn it off at boot and only use it manually for new drivers. Just changing it to opt in to opt out would probably have been the best course for them.

cakely

I don't need any useless bloatware. Since I'm not going to install the "NVIDIA Experience", how often will I be able to get new video drivers? How will I know they're available?

I currently have "359" installed, downloaded only a few days ago.

Skii

What's wrong with Nvidia Geforce experience? Doesn't seem that bad of an application lol. I'm new to this though so I've probably missed something.

Top Bottom