• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia plans to lock Game Ready drivers behind GeForce Experience registration

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Hahahahahahaha.

Nothing. I'm just stating my opinion, and I'm not delusional enough to believe that neogaf has any power over how GPU market works. Of course if you believe I'm not supposed to share my comment on how this thing is going, then more power to you.

You guys will buy nvidia card anyway.. what's the issue here.

you know you won't.

Yeah, nice comments on how this thing is going. So very insightful and helpful in keeping it a meaningful discussion. I find it funny how mad you are at me about this.

It installs like 10 background processes/services that are always running, consuming memory and potentially slowing boot time and other tasks, all of which are completely unnecessary unless you use Shield Streaming or Shadowplay. There was a kerfuffle a few months back that the Streamer process was appreciably reducing frame rates even when not in use. The tent-pole feature of the whole software package (the recommended auto-application of settings/configs per game) are often completely nonsensical and sub-optimal. This isn't even getting into general software glitches, like it's auto updater getting stuck in a loop, crashes, or failures installing drivers.

It's so weird to hear about this when that thing has run happily in the background for the years I've used it without a problem. Really weird, I guess I'm lucky.

TL21xx

Banned
This sucks. I couldn't get GeForce experience to download the drivers for the Battlefront beta and had to do it manually. Having the option of a backdoor to install is kinda important.

I don't like this because about 40% of the time I install a new driver, Geforce experience doesn't work. I actually need to download the drivers through their website.

Fasty

I don't like this because about 40% of the time I install a new driver, Geforce experience doesn't work. I actually need to download the drivers through their website.

Yep, only for me it's 100% of the time. I just get an "nvidia servers cannot be reached. Try again later" error so I have to go to the website to grab the drivers. Fantastic.

I don't use GFE for drivers. Never have. I also use DDU everytime I update drivers. I use GFE for the Streaming and Shadow Play functions but that's it.

Iced

I don't see this lasting.

And I also don't see myself ever downloading Experience.

There are people that will switch teams for anti-consumer tactics such as this, and I'm certainly one of them. Nvidia, I hope you're listening.

GFE is very handy, but forcing the account aspect of it is terrible and locking the drivers behind said account is even worse.

Nvidia, cut it out.

Yep, only for me it's 100% of the time. I just get an "nvidia servers cannot be reached. Try again later" error so I have to go to the website to grab the drivers. Fantastic.
This is my exact experience with it too. I always need to do it manually, because it doesn't work through GFE.

Serves all nvidia customers well. They didnt turn shit overnight they were always an asshole company. Im actually joyed to hear this. Maybe some will wake up.

Who am I kidding youll all go buy your ahiny shitty Pascals and register on GFE.

SmartBase

I guess this levels the playing field a bit, now Nvidia users get to enjoy quarterly updates. Next they'll release SLI profiles for games weeks or months after they're out just like AMD.

Renekton

wwJoL9C.jpg

Always get this on work laptop

longdi

Banned
I don't use gfe, just another bloatware. Fuck nvidia, I hope there is a shitstorm to stop them from doing so. They must be desperate to make up for the loss of consoles market share and need such dick move to keep relevant with their gaming brand.

daninthemix

I don't use GFE. By the way, how important are game-ready drivers? I mean, Fallout 4 will still work with my current driver, right?

I think its bad when they make something mandatory like installing GFE for game ready drivers.

If one has no use for GFE, why should one install a program and have it needlessly running? I might as well installing anything and start it up. It's needless and another point of failure.

I've always liked NVidia cards and NVidia inspector, downsampling, cuda and so forth. this is the first time I'm seriously thinking of AMD. I just don't want GFE installed on my PC nor any other program I have no use for, let alone actually needlessly running as well.

Please rethink this shit NVidia. If it's true 90/95% already use GFE then can't you just leave us alone?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Already use GFE to update my drivers, so I'm not bothered in the slightest.

Spladam

I've been trying to explain to fanboys on both sides for years that competition is just good for consumers, and they don't want their chosen brand to be the only players in the game, now we learn the hard way. I've gone out of my way to make sure Experience never installs with the driver updates, and now this. If you don't use Shadow play or stream to a Shield, then the app is useless, the "optimizations" sure as hell don't help anyone. I spent several months reporting errors in the optimizations, but NVIDIA just couldn't get it right. It's not like Raptr.. uh I mean "AMD Gaming Evolved" (hehe) is any better, but damn.... Glad I rarley get the game specific drivers from NVIDIA.

What's really sad is that (at least in my experience), finding GF drivers from alternative sources will still be better support than AMD drivers. :p
Traditionally, I'd agree, but I've been pretty impressed with AMD's drivers for the last year and a half, since the Omega thing. I thought it was just a fancy word rebranding, but I have yet to have a problem with them and they do fix issues. Also, everything I've used with Mantle was pretty impressive how it helped to defeat the bottle-neck on my old system.

I don't install drivers the day they are released anyway. Always check and let the community betatest the drivers for a few weeks ;)

I cannot be the only one who is unable to update the drivers via GeForce Experience due to errors. It always bombs out so I have no choice but to manually download them from the nVidia site (which I have no issue doing and would prefer to do).

Sort out your bloody software before forcing this nonsense on owners of your gpus.

pants

I cannot be the only one who is unable to update the drivers via GeForce Experience due to errors. It always bombs out so I have no choice but to manually download them from the nVidia site (which I have no issue doing and would prefer to do).

Sort out your bloody software before forcing this nonsense on owners of your gpus.

Half the time I have to manually download

UrbanRats

Nah, i'm the same, tried it once and it fucked over the whole thing, and from then on i went back to use the manual install again.

They make the manual installation sound like some sort of esoteric process... you just go on the site, select you card, download, run the installer and click "next" until it's done.

Doesn't take a PHD.

Nah, i'm the same, tried it once and it fucked over the whole thing, and from then on i went back to use the manual install again.

They make the manual installation sound like some sort of esoteric process... you just go on the site, select you card, download, run the installer and click "next" until it's done.

Doesn't take a PHD.
Doesn't even take a high school. Or even elementary.

Henrar

Heh, when I install drivers through GeForce experience I get crashes and they don't install fully. The only solution is to install them manually from their website. Reinstalling cleanly GE didn't help.

So... fuck you Nvidia, I am not going to use your bloatware.

This is an annoying practice for Nvidia to force on people who want them.

I haven't used game specific drivers before, so unless they make games god tier optimized, I don't care much for them.

I haven't used game specific drivers before, so unless they make games god tier optimized, I don't care much for them.

Game specific drivers is pretty much just normal driver updates that are released right before major game releases. If you routinely update your drivers, you will have game specific drivers for all games released prior to the driver that you are running.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I rather install drivers manually, because Geforce Experience is hard-locking my rig almost every time

nkarafo

I don't get it. Are there drivers that are not "game ready"? I only get drivers by googling "nvidia drivers" and end up to the latest game ready driver. So i DL that. I thought these were the default ones... and i update them everytime a new version appears. Last one is a Star Wars Battlefront game ready driver. I don't even have that game... is it going to affect other games negatively?

Oh and i don't even have Nvidia experience installed.

Bl@de

I don't get it. Are there drivers that are not "game ready"? I only get drivers by googling "nvidia drivers" and end up to the latest game ready driver. So i DL that. I thought these were the default ones... and i update them everytime a new version appears. Last one is a Star Wars Battlefront game ready driver. I don't even have that game... is it going to affect other games negatively?

Oh and i don't even have Nvidia experience installed.

The bigger WHQL packages are not released that often (but offer more new stuff and general optimization) while gameready drivers come along with big game releases and include sli profiles and smaller fixes.

nkarafo

The bigger WHQL packages are not released that often (but offer more new stuff and general optimization) while gameready drivers come along with big game releases and include sli profiles and smaller fixes.
Ok but the fixes of previous games are included in the newer game ready releases?

For instance, i had the Witcher 3 game ready driver. I upgraded to the latest one (Star Wars). Are the Witcher 3 fixes included? Or do i have to uninstall and go back in order to maximize performance in that game?

Top Bottom