• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia plans to lock Game Ready drivers behind GeForce Experience registration

Mesoian

Then they need to stop breaking sideloading programs like ENB's with every new update.

I unstalled that shit because it kept breaking Skyrim.

Elman

I think this only for Beta Drivers?

Future "Game Ready" drivers will no longer be made available through GeForce.com and instead will ONLY be delivered through GeForce Experience. You'll also be required to have a validated email address to get the downloads for beta drivers - though NVIDIA admitted to me you would be able to opt-out of the mailing list anytime after signing up.

Still annoying (for some) if true. I avoid beta drivers like the plague.

RE_Player

Explain to me why people want Nvidia to be the only game in town in terms of video cards? Imagine if AMD was fully out of the picture.

Lord Phol

I've had Geforce experience before and I doooon't like it. Unstable, slow and glitchy. Doesn't help that it's kind of broken in windows 10 as well. Please let these be one of those times where the masses makes such a big fuss over it that Nvidia has to re-think this whole thing.

Geforce Exp is the very definition of bloatware, God awful.

I like it. It's not good enough, the UI is too slow and clunky, but it actually is a valueable piece of software.
With that said, forcing anybody is going to make people resent it, just because it ain't a choice.

AMD failing to provide real competition hurts Nvidia users as well. Companies have a tendency to down the shitter when they are too powerful against their competition. Doesn't matter if its Intel, Nvidia, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, whatever.
It's almost like the rational side of "let us give our users options and choices" goes out the window.

NeOak

you know you don't have to use the features of Geforce Exp. It's like having to have a steam account to play steam games. Nobody is forcing you to use big picture, but the option is there. GAF overreaction in full effect
You don't need to even use the piece of shit in the first place at the moment.

Love how you're defending them forcing their shit software down people's throats to get the support they get right now without it.

Kezen

Banned
Please no, I hate Geforce Experience, it's a buggy piece of crap. Updating drivers with this thing is a nightmare.

If they go through with this I think I'll seriously consider going AMD.

I have it installed anyways, but had a problem a few months back where I couldn't get GFE to load/update/etc. A reinstall fixed it, but I was displeased.

Since I already am registered, this will change nothing for me, but I can't see the point other than harvesting user email addresses in order to do aggressive marketing.

is anyone really surprised by this? this is NVIDIA we are talking about here.

Yeah, NVIDIA has been trying to force its users into a 'GeForce ecosystem' in order to prevent them from possibly jumping ship everytime AMD puts out a new product, but I guess I'm surprised they're trying to pull this so soon.

I already have to use Geforce Experience and an account to use Nvidia Shield game streaming, but I wish I didn't. Geforce Experience has one annoying problem where it keeps every single installer it has ever downloaded on your hard drive, and re-downloads them if you delete any of them!! So it takes huge amounts of space for no reason and I have to re-install Geforce Experience once a year.

GeForce Experience was actually worth using pre-"GameStream requires Nvidia account" and before Windows 10 fucked it up. Now it's less than useful, because I can't use Limelight anymore and every attempt to upgrade via GeForce Experience fails.

And I bet there's going to be a surge in driver piracy because of this.

It's dumb, and a senseless decision, but it doesn't really affect me. I rarely install beta drivers, and usually just stick with a recent WHQL and hit go.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think this only for Beta Drivers?

Still annoying (for some) if true. I avoid beta drivers like the plague.

Game Ready drivers are the ones they release whenever a new big tier game comes out that needs updated driver support.

So basically "Wanna play the latest games with optimized driver support? Install our application. By the way, did you know that we offer a games streaming service now! $7.99 per month!"

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
that's dumb

this is why it's kind of a shame that AMD isn't putting up a better fight

nvidia knows they have the room to start doing things they wouldn't be able to get away with otherwise

robgrab

I never use GFE because it doesn't do anything useful for me. The recommended settings are almost always wrong, for instance, I have a good rig with a 980 and it says I should have everything on low. I have everything set to Ultra (minus CA, vignetting, motion blur) and it runs like butter. Also most of the complaints I read in forums about buggy drivers are people who tried installing them through GFE. I always use DDU whenever I install new drivers and I've never had a problem yet. If GFE incorporated a proper "clean install" similar to DDU then I'd be fine with letting it install drivers. Doesn't seem likely though.

NeonBlack

“We kind of have two camps in terms of gamers,” Nvidia’s Sean Pelletier said in a group call with journalists. “On one hand you have the gamer that’s just casually playing things here and there, using their system for daily use and gaming on the side. They don’t want to be inundated with these [Game Ready] drivers…

Then just don't download them?

I am very tired of downloading a driver for every game. It is tedious and unnecessary, since 99% of the games I'm downloading drivers for I do not own. This is a thing.

Considering the latest Game Ready Driver tanked my performance in a few games, I don't know if I'm all that tempted to sign up for this Nvidia.

Yeah one of the recent ones totally fucked my Mad Max FPS, I couldn't believe how bad it got.

nVidia taking that victory lap early, it seems.

Mithos

Maybe its time for...

NvidiaDriver Alternate to be born (Quicktime Alternative, REAL Alternative user here, although they are now dead.)

What a shitty thing to do, leveraging drivers to force registrations. As an SLI user, I require gameready drivers to get updated SLI profiles.

Top Bottom