• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA officially announces and details DLSS 2.1 - VR compatible, dynamic resolution support and ultra performance mode for 8K gaming

Pagusas

Elden Member
Aren't NVIDIA shooting themselves in the foot with DLSS? I mean, you don't really need high end cards for 4k gaming already and with next 40-th series it will be even more apparent. Why would I buy 700 dollar+ video card, if max what everyone will need is 3070 for the next 5+ years with DLSS-driven 4k? 8k won't be mainstream for the next 10 years+ also. So what is the reason to buy next NVIDIA high end cards again?

you will still need a 3080 to get 60fps+ in ray traced cyberpunk at 1440p Scaled to 4K likely.

bronxct1

Aren't NVIDIA shooting themselves in the foot with DLSS? I mean, you don't really need high end cards for 4k gaming already and with next 40-th series it will be even more apparent. Why would I buy 700 dollar+ video card, if max what everyone will need is 3070 for the next 5+ years with DLSS-driven 4k? 8k won't be mainstream for the next 10 years+ also. So what is the reason to buy next NVIDIA high end cards again?
If DLSS becomes ubiquitous for PC games you could see the gpu power being used for physics or other things. Nvidia being willing to cannibalize themselves means they are seeing the future of gpus being used for different things.

A.Romero

Stuff like this and foveated rendering will be a huge impact for VR.

I feel we will see the VR revolution within the next 10 years.

n0razi

The 8K shit from Nvidia is such misleading bullshit.

9x upscaling. Which essentially means that they're taking a 3.5 Megapixel image (1440p) and upscaling that to a 33 Megapixel image (8K). 90% of the detail in the image is made up.
Who would want to use this?

Yeah I don;t know about 9x upscaling but on my Nvidia Shield... I AI upscale all my 480/720p media to 4K and it is absolutely bonkers; I honestly don;t see the need to download/rip 4K files anymore TBH. Its fucking magic.

For VR we are far from the ideal quality standard... something in the range of 8K+ at 120-240Hz. A $500 RTX 3070 would be able to process that at a solid 1440p/120Hz or 1080p/240Hz and then DLSS would upscale that. But for normal gaming yeah i think even a budget $150 card would be able to suffice for most people using DLSS.

Stuff like this and foveated rendering will be a huge impact for VR.

I feel we will see the VR revolution within the next 10 years.

Even if they 100% nail the visuals, we still need MUCH better movement/locomotion tech for VR. Tilting a thumbstick or teleporting is seriously immersion breaking.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Yeah I don;t know about 9x upscaling but on my Nvidia Shield... I AI upscale all my 480/720p media to 4K and it is absolutely bonkers; I honestly don;t see the need to download/rip 4K files anymore TBH. Its fucking magic.

For VR we are far from the ideal quality standard... something in the range of 8K+ at 120-240Hz. A $500 RTX 3070 would be able to process that at a solid 1440p/120Hz or 1080p/240Hz and then DLSS would upscale that. But for normal gaming yeah i think even a budget $150 card would be able to suffice for most people using DLSS.

Even if they 100% nail the visuals, we still need MUCH better movement/locomotion tech for VR. Tilting a thumbstick or teleporting is seriously immersion breaking.

This will dealt with too. It has improved greatly since the first iterations of modern VR.

Something in the vein of Kinect or sensors in accesories like gloves. It's just a matter of time.

Same with motion sickness, solutions will be there. I have no doubt.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
There's always people who want more, and devs who want to make more and more complex games.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Is this for 2000 series cards as well?

Yep, consider the 2000 series the foundation of the next few generations, it was premature hardware that was underpowered but had all the tech, kinda like how the Geforce 3 was the foundation of the Geforce 4, it kinda was wimpy at its job until the 4 came along and added the performance and horse power to the tech.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Wow, dynamic resolution DLSS, so you will have games fluctutating from 480p to 1440p then Ai'd to 4K and 8K, and people believe you won't see any difference against native rendering.....I'm actually for this technology tbh, but mostly for low power devices. Don't tell me you are boasting 36TF and how your card is the most powerful and you are doing so on the coattails of DLSS...

I would love to see a new handheld, say a Vita 2.0 use AI Reconstruction or CB 2.0 or even the next Nintendo console since they won't ever give us a powerful console again.....I think there are case uses for it, where it would make more sense to use it.....Yet I think the more expensive cards should be breaking the boundaries of native 4k and 60-120fps as they should by now......

GymWolf

UWu5GZh.jpg
Oh yeah now i get it.

I saw something like that in some yt videos but i don't knkw if i'm too lazy to even set up something like that in my little gaming room :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

And tbh, it would still be not like real wireless gaming, you stipo have something attached to your head even if it doesn't get in the way the majority of time.

Mista

Banned
DLSS is insane. 1.0 was garbage but 2.0? That is something truly deserved to be called an upgrade

I just wish more games supports it. Death Stranding and Control looks and plays great with DLSS 2.0

2.1 is going to be massive with 8k gaming. DLSS is magic

DJT123

I love my RX480 Radeon card. It's great and constantly supported at software/driver level. But I can't support AMD's next GFX product with nVidia putting out tech like this.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
DLSS is insane. 1.0 was garbage but 2.0? That is something truly deserved to be called an upgrade

I just wish more games supports it. Death Stranding and Control looks and plays great with DLSS 2.0

easy there BOI

GHG

Gold Member

Welcome back bro. How have you been?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Why you still need their HW and Ampere deliver this decoupled from computation power. Turing was not able to do. So technically this allows massive improvements in visual quality.

GHG

Gold Member
Thanks mate. Been doing good what about you and the family?

Glad to hear it man. Hope you've been staying safe.

Me and the Mrs got covid :messenger_expressionless:

Sucks but we don't have it as bad as other people have had it, just been staying at home recovering. Felt really rough a few days ago but things are improving now, will get testing again once our 14 days after testing positive are over.

Mista

Banned
Glad to hear it man. Hope you've been staying safe.

Me and the Mrs got covid :messenger_expressionless:

Sucks but we don't have it as bad as other people have had it, just been staying at home recovering. Felt really rough a few days ago but things are improving now, will get testing again once our 14 days after testing positive are over.
Oh man I am so sorry to hear that. I hope you recover from it asap!

I know how annoying it can get, I got a cousin that is struggling

I'm here brother if you need anything

• Love
Reactions: GHG

Kenpachii

Nice, wish nvidia would move backwards and try to support older games with it. AC games and red dead redemption could use it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom