• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA officially announces and details DLSS 2.1 - VR compatible, dynamic resolution support and ultra performance mode for 8K gaming

GHG

Gold Member
DLSS SDK 2.1 is out and it includes three updates:
  • New ultra performance mode for 8K gaming. Delivers 8K gaming on GeForce RTX 3090 with a new 9x scaling option.
  • VR support. DLSS is now supported for VR titles.
  • Dynamic resolution support. The input buffer can change dimensions from frame to frame while the output size remains fixed. If the rendering engine supports dynamic resolution, DLSS can be used to perform the required upscale to the display resolution

A few days ago, DLSS 2.1 appeared in Wolfenstein: Youngblood’s Steam database. And during a recent Reddit AMA, NVIDIA has officially revealed this new version of DLSS. Yes, DLSS 2.1 is real, and here are its official details, straight from NVIDIA.

According to NVIDIA, DLSS 2.1 brings a new ultra performance mode for 8K gaming. NVIDIA claims that DLSS 2.1 will deliver 8K gaming on GeForce RTX 3090 with a new 9x scaling option. And, as you may have guessed, Wolfenstein: Youngblood was one of the games that were showcased running on the RTX3090.

Furthermore, DLSS 2.1 will bring VR support. As such, developers can now finally use DLSS tech in their VR games, something that was not possible with the previous versions of DLSS.

Lastly, DLSS 2.1 brings dynamic resolution support.

“The input buffer can change dimensions from frame to frame while the output size remains fixed. If the rendering engine supports dynamic resolution, DLSS can be used to perform the required upscale to the display resolution.”

---

Huge news for VR going forwards, it should provide a much needed boost and make things a lot more accessible for the mid/lower end RTX card owners. Will also be interesting to see if you can use the 9x scaling mode in resolutions other than 8k.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Nvidia:

tenor.gif

This is an example of REAL "secret sauce"

If the PS5 had DLSS 2.0+ and the XSX didn't, the PS5 would easily become the more powerful of the two consoles.

Also .... Delivers 8K gaming on GeForce RTX 3090 with a new 9x scaling option.

A 9x scaling option?

Does this mean we may see rendering from 380p to 1080p and 720p to 4K? ( 4K is exactly 9x the resolution of 720p )

I'd LOVE to see the results of this experiment. Would be borderline MAGIC if true.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member

If the PS5 had DLSS 2.0+ and the XSX didn't, the PS5 would easily become the more powerful of the two consoles.

A 9x scaling option?

Does this mean we may see rendering from 380p to 1080p and 720p to 4K? ( 4K is exactly 9x the resolution of 720p )
I'd LOVE to see the results of this experiment. Would be borderline MAGIC if true.
WOW... If that 9x scaling turns out to be legit, what a gamechanger. The value proposition for these cards is tremendous. You could go a whole console generation with these things. More demanding games come out... pump up the scaling and your set!! FIrst time I am ever considering investing in a pc. I was for sure going to get a series x and a new tv but man.... this may change that.

GHG

Gold Member

A 9x scaling option?

Before DLSS 2.0 I thought this upscaling stuff was crap (because for the most part, it was).

But in a post DLSS 2.0 world I'm more than ready to see 720p being upscaled to 4K.

Mentat02

Banned
not gonna lie I was one of those cynics that said DLSS was DOA. After playing Death Stranding and control with DLSS my mind was blown. Also control is a whole different game with Ray Tracing, the lighting in certain scenes make the game feel like a twin peaks episode directed by David Lynch himself.

Kuranghi

Lets see it in action first, I'm ready to be wowed by DLSS when they fix the problems it has, which I can see in a shitty youtube encode at 1:1 pixels on my display, not just when DF zooms in 800%. 1440p to 3840p is insane, I would like to see how that looks because the 720p to 2160p example in the nvidia DLSS 2.0 Jensen video wasn't amazing.

Even in the thumbnail for the DF DLSS 2.0 Death Stranding comparison video you can see that while the DLSS image is much cleaner overall, has higher contrast edges and in some/many case a definite increase in detail over the native 4K image there is still a complete loss of some of the texture detail, look at the "ink spot" on his backpack near the warning tape, in the DLSS image it has removed some of the softer details around the darker part, I'm not interested in that kind of altering of the image because I spend fucking hours making my image look completely clean I don't want to also be guessing if DLSS is removing detail or not, its just another headache to consider on top of how hard it is to actually see if something in native res these days due to all the shaders/lower-than-output-res effects they use. If they fix that I'm totally in.

I have a really large high quality display so I'm in the minority but it makes a difference to me. Couldn't find the image on google but I'm referring to the thumbnail of the video in the OP here - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/death-stranding-with-nvidia-dlss-2-0.1555545/

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
There are trade-offs when it comes to finer details, but overall DLSS 2.0 is awesome. I haven't had a chance to try it in Death Stranding, but on Wolfenstein Youngblood and Control it works great. The picture is sharper, while at the same time exhibiting less shimmering and aliasing than native+TAA.

The dynamic res option is a cool feature. That should be included in as many games as possible.

Last edited:

martino

Before DLSS 2.0 I thought this upscaling stuff was crap (because for the most part, it was).

But in a post DLSS 2.0 world I'm more than ready to see 720p being upscaled to 4K.
720 seems low for rt , no ?
we have to hope de-noising is as good as the upscale

Tygeezy

Dlss 9x scaling would be a massive deal for a new nintendo switch. A lot of the games on switch are unplayable due to the blur.

GymWolf

I was expecting something more layman like "even closer to native 4k with even less resource waste" or something like that :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

does this super performance look worse compared to normal mode to gain even more fps\8k??

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Yea, but wouldn't you want a VR head unit that's pushing a lot of pixels? Why use DLSS for kits like the Oculus?

On the other features, I hate Dynamic res and I'll not be using 8k tv for awhile.
It'd be preferable for sure. I've found though that downsampling helps a ton in image quality, but you are right in that having a better headset would be more ideal. But I have no intentions on buying a new headset for a while as the Vive has been very good to me and until wireless options start coming out that are what I want, I'll just wait.

GymWolf

I would be excited for the vr part, but i just can't play anymore with thetered vr stuff on pc, wireless is so much better.

but maybe i would try something with my oculus...

Last edited:

INC

I would be excited for the vr part, but i just can't play anymore with thetered vr stuff on pc, wireless is so much better.

but maybe i would try something with my oculus...

I use a pulley, basically wireless, I dont need to run around like a headless chicken, I can play standing still and spinning 360 no issue

ACESHIGH

Banned
Any chance DLSS can be implemented at the driver level? Love the feature but if we need it to be plemented at a game by game basis it will be like physix and Gameworks all over again.

I'm currently watching the developments with excitement as I'm building a new machine (mostly because of VR). I'm willing to wait for them but AMD has to deliver a megaton now for me to not go Nvidia. Not only is the 3080 a killer, Nvidia also running DLSS on VR might be a great thing for the future. Given that I basically need 90fps @ 4k for the Reverb G2, I need a machine that is HUNGRY.

The 8K shit from Nvidia is such misleading bullshit.

9x upscaling. Which essentially means that they're taking a 3.5 Megapixel image (1440p) and upscaling that to a 33 Megapixel image (8K). 90% of the detail in the image is made up.
Who would want to use this?

After so many years of the PC Master Race looking down on Consoles for upscaling resolution, and its come to this.

I can imagine the CIA buying a 3090 to upscale license plates of potential terrorists.

If they're gonna run this kind of stuff through their own datacentres, they're better of buying A100's or just a DGX A100 system. It would be lightyears ahead of the 3090.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member

9x upscaling. Which essentially means that they're taking a 3.5 Megapixel image (1440p) and upscaling that to a 33 Megapixel image (8K). 90% of the detail in the image is made up.

After so many years of the PC Master Race looking down on Consoles for upscaling resolution, and its come to this.

If they're gonna run this kind of stuff through their own datacentres, they're better of buying A100's or just a DGX A100 system. It would be lightyears ahead of the 3090.

Do you not understand how DLSS works? Yes its "made up" but its not dumb logic, its based off an AI system that already had made example ground truth full resolution references of a similar scene. We arent talking nearest neighbor scaling, and in practice it honestly looks amazing.

Your post sounds like someone who has not used it. I was BLOWN away by how well it worked, and I use to be a native or die person.

Last edited:

MacReady13

With Dlss 2.1 does it make owning a 3080 pointless over a 3070 for 4k gaming? I mean, with DLSS activated, why would you need that extra grunt if it isn't needed?

evanft

200.gif

INC

With Dlss 2.1 does it make owning a 3080 pointless over a 3070 for 4k gaming? I mean, with DLSS activated, why would you need that extra grunt if it isn't needed?

not a massive price difference tbh, but 3070 is already better than 2080ti.....so......

MacReady13

not a massive price difference tbh, but 3070 is already better than 2080ti.....so......

Yeah but that difference in price could pay for a new PSU or Ram in a new build. Just asking as I'm ready for a new build and if I can save 300-odd aussie dollars on a GPU then I'm happy to do that knowing I'll still easily get 4k gaming.

INC

Yeah but that difference in price could pay for a new PSU or Ram in a new build. Just asking as I'm ready for a new build and if I can save 300-odd aussie dollars on a GPU then I'm happy to do that knowing I'll still easily get 4k gaming.

3070 will be fine dude. if it means you can buy other stuff on top

martino

everything my gpu render is fake.
people without agenda don't care how details are created if they are there.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

giphy.gif

Okamiden

Aren't NVIDIA shooting themselves in the foot with DLSS? I mean, you don't really need high end cards for 4k gaming already and with next 40-th series it will be even more apparent. Why would I buy 700 dollar+ video card, if max what everyone will need is 3070 for the next 5+ years with DLSS-driven 4k? 8k won't be mainstream for the next 10 years+ also. So what is the reason to buy next NVIDIA high end cards again?

Top Bottom