• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Marbles RTX Demo is now available for download

Lethal01

I'm pretty sure he's moved on from this site, as he's been active on another board... But I'm sure he might occasionally get on from time to time though, big maybe though...
Praise the lord, hopefully he stays gone this time.

He should post on Beyond3D, where the real developers are.
Think they already banned him.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

☝️☝️☝️

And this folks is why we can't have nice things.
1610812848106.png

Last edited:
from reddit:

"
It's unplayable on a RTX 3080.
9-11 FPS at 1440p
22-24 FPS at 1080p
30-45 FPS at 720p... with frequent drops to 7 FPS
"
These fuckers advertised 3080 and 3090 with this demo year ago saying it runs 30 or something stable... right. So I am not bothering with omniverse right now
Why do you think they released the demo today. The big problem isnt the raytracing its the 100 million polygons. Bouncing rays on 100 million triangles is madness let alone being able to load 100 million polygons in vram. Your essentially using system ram aswell cause youll literally run out of vram on a 3080.

Snakey125

from reddit:

"
It's unplayable on a RTX 3080.
9-11 FPS at 1440p
22-24 FPS at 1080p
30-45 FPS at 720p... with frequent drops to 7 FPS
"
These fuckers advertised 3080 and 3090 with this demo year ago saying it runs 30 or something stable... right. So I am not bothering with omniverse right now

That demo was made with a beefed up 3090 that's likely to become 3090ti.
...Which is why this never came out until people started asking for it.

FireFly

why would he make posts there explaining things in layman terms that are probably obvious for most of these people.
Well, a lot of his posts seem to consist in complaining that people don't understand him because they're not developers. So I think if you're interested in reactions from knowledgeable people, you should post where those people are.

Hoddi

It's constantly running out of VRAM on my 2080Ti even at 1080p. Performance mostly locks to 48fps but then it plummets as I move to other areas.

Krizalidx11

Banned
Tried it on 3090, a mess of a demo, couldn't change the config and just played it windowed and it was running 48fps but the res seems like 1080p

Bragr

Banned
This is the sort of photorealistic game render that people have been hyping for years. Not sure how realistic it's to have any sort of non-puzzle game look like this in the next 2 to 4 years, but it's awesome to see.

I wonder what photorealism will do to games, I assume it's gonna be a lot more attractive to have completely life-like game rules.

Hmm this demo is weird. With my AIO cooler for my GPU at the top of my case it's pretty clear when the GPU is putting in some serious work, there's actually a ton of heat that gets pumped out. Like in RE8 max or RDR 2 max. Now, this demo does look awesome, and is clearly doing a lot of something, but it just seems odd that it's putting out almost no heat at all compared to any game I play.

Edit: Seems like there's a cap or something like that. I edited the config to make it full screen as suggested, but I'm sure there's other things in there to adjust.
K3lT0ug.png

Last edited:

Reindeer

To be fair, I remeber that it was said the demo was running at 720p, so in this case Nvidia did nothing wrong is just that most people didn't care about knowing the details.
That was the first time they showed it, the second time they showed it at RTX 30 series launch Jensen said it was running 1440p30, but it might have been with DLSS upscaling.

Just watched the video and Jensen said original demo ran at 720p25 with Turing and improved version at RTX 30 launch was running at 1440p30. It is important to note that Jensen said original ran on Turing RTX 8000 Quadro, it's likely they used Quadro GPU for this demo as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guilty_AI

Well, a lot of his posts seem to consist in complaining that people don't understand him because they're not developers. So I think if you're interested in reactions from knowledgeable people, you should post where those people are.
Knowledgeable people don't always know how to explain things for people out of the loop. He does, which is why i liked his threads.

And no, his posts aren't always him complaining about people not understanding him. Maybe after a bunch of fanboys with 0 desire to understand what he's talking about decide to gang up on him for 'daring' to praise the graphics on a MS game like Flight Simulator. Or for saying """controversial""" things like "a top-of-the-line PC can render better visuals than a ps5".

Last edited:

tkscz

unknown.png

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

You need an Nvidia account, I don't think you can download it otherway.
nVidida doesn't seem to be using the Quadro name for their professional GPU models, but RTX5000 is the Quadro card.

If people are having issues running it on RTX3080's, I doubt my 3070 laptop could handle it.

Knowledgeable people don't always know how to explain things for people out of the loop. He does, which is why i liked his threads.

And no, his posts aren't always him complaining about people not understanding him. Maybe after a bunch of fanboys with 0 desire to understand what he's talking about decide to gang up on him for 'daring' to praise the graphics on a MS game like Flight Simulator. Or for saying """controversial""" things like "a top-of-the-line PC can render better visuals than a ps5".
I mean, I can't blame him. When people are more knowledgeable than me in an area that I'm not too familiar with, I'll STFU and listen. It makes no sense to beat on your chest and argue with someone in a field that someone can not only school you in, but instead voluntarily takes their time to write up good info on graphics techniques and analysis of games. Stupid fanboys who argue over a plastic box, would rather flame the post and cause drama, rather than learn a thing or two.

That's why he's now at a place where you don't have rabid fanboys screeching left and right, and can freely share his findings without the neckbeards fucking up the threads.

mckmas8808

Banned

Nah the dude at times didn't allow people to just be excited for the things that they liked.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Goes to show how much I know about video cards. I didn't know there were better ones than 3090. I just googled one of these uber grade gpus and it's $6000 cdn on Amazon. lol

Nah the dude at times didn't allow people to just be excited for the things that they liked.
I don't think he rained on anyone's parade. Just look at a recent thread, where people were trying to egg him on, and saying R&C looks like a pixar movie. Seriously, come on? This marbles demo is the closest thing you'll have to pixar movies, as they use render farms much stronger than a ps5, more or less a single/SLI 3090. Think about the best gpu, multiplied by several amounts. That's what it takes.

You gotta think how annoying console wars are for someone who works on high end CGI stuff. Once you annoy someone enough, they are going to tell you why such and such game falls short of being anywhere close to being pixar related. But this is off topic.

The framerate isn't the best, but holy shit, can you imagine this lighting/reflections in real time?! Maybe in 5 years or so, this will be in it's infancy. Practical in maybe 10 years. By practical, I mean everything raytraced, high res, high framerate.

Oh uh, this thing apparently needs 14-16 GB of video memory. That's why only a 3090 can run it correctly, it has 24 GB of VRAM. A 3080 only has 10 GB, it doesn't have nearly enough VRAM. It's not clear if the upcoming 3080 Ti at 12 GB of VRAM is going to be all right or not trying to run this.

Finally, my 3090 has an "exclusive" game that can't run on anything else! :messenger_face_steam:

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
I don't think he rained on anyone's parade. Just look at a recent thread, where people were trying to egg him on, and saying R&C looks like a pixar movie. Seriously, come on? This marbles demo is the closest thing you'll have to pixar movies, as they use render farms much stronger than a ps5, more or less a single/SLI 3090. Think about the best gpu, multiplied by several amounts. That's what it takes.

You gotta think how annoying console wars are for someone who works on high end CGI stuff. Once you annoy someone enough, they are going to tell you why such and such game falls short of being anywhere close to being pixar related. But this is off topic.

The framerate isn't the best, but holy shit, can you imagine this lighting/reflections in real time?! Maybe in 5 years or so, this will be in it's infancy. Practical in maybe 10 years. By practical, I mean everything raytraced, high res, high framerate.

When people say "Pixar quality" they don't mean it in the most literal sense. They mean it's close enough to them that the difference between the new R&C and a real Pixar movie is small enough that for them not to care about the gap difference (especially since only one is running in real time). I'm not sure how he and others don't understand that small point.

nkarafo

This is the sort of photorealistic game render that people have been hyping for years. Not sure how realistic it's to have any sort of non-puzzle game look like this in the next 2 to 4 years, but it's awesome to see.

I wonder what photorealism will do to games, I assume it's gonna be a lot more attractive to have completely life-like game rules.
Any game that doesn't have to show living things (humans, animals, etc) should be able to reach photo-realism even on modest hardware.

Racing games are very close to achieve that. And Flight Simulator is there basically.

Goes to show how much I know about video cards. I didn't know there were better ones than 3090. I just googled one of these uber grade gpus and it's $6000 cdn on Amazon. lol
those are aimed at people studios making movies with CGI/3D or virtualised workstations (running multiple instances off a single GPU). also it's likely that anyone buying these cards are buying multiple cards. $6k, $12k, $18k isn't a lot to the studios/companies that need that kind of power.

these are really old photos but to give you an idea of the hardware Pixar uses (or used). how many GPUs do you think they have?:

zz4fcadb7a.jpg

zz4097552b-550x309.jpg

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
sounds like this demo is vram limited.
wonder if direct storage will improve things a bit. looks like our next gpu needs to be 3090, considering even 3080ti will be scalped AF, pay a bit more for 24GB of long term vram :messenger_face_steam:

Yeah his lack of social skills is quite obvious, apart from that though hes also very stubborn about his opinion what kind of games or graphics are more impressive then others.
Most of the time the games/tech he admires, lack in terms of overall picture quality.

I don't care what kind of amazing tech some game or hardware uses as long as it dosn't improve the overall visual experience.
Thats just something for tech nerds to wank on.

Sure that tech is gonna be important in the future but as long as it isn't or can't be currently leveraged to a degree that improves the visual and overall game experience I don't give much of a fuck about it.
Same goes to hardware, sure PCs (especially high end ones) have way more raw power then consoles, but this power is used at such an inefficient way that the pcs "advantage" is laughable.

Funnily he cared enough about that topic to react to your post.
So he isn't gone from here per say.

BTW. Nividia obviously sucks for promoting the new rtx cards with that demo if it can't be run properly on these cards.
Well as always marketing is always overselling their products...

Last edited:

raul3d

Hmm this demo is weird. With my AIO cooler for my GPU at the top of my case it's pretty clear when the GPU is putting in some serious work, there's actually a ton of heat that gets pumped out. Like in RE8 max or RDR 2 max. Now, this demo does look awesome, and is clearly doing a lot of something, but it just seems odd that it's putting out almost no heat at all compared to any game I play.

Edit: Seems like there's a cap or something like that. I edited the config to make it full screen as suggested, but I'm sure there's other things in there to adjust.
K3lT0ug.png
The demo employs a fully raytraced workload. Since there is no rasterization, a large part of your GPU die should be idle and only the tensor/RTX cores will be fully stressed. You should also see the same kind of workload in Quake 2 RTX.

The current NVIDIA GPUs are balanced for hybrid games. This kind of workload is not ideal for these GPUs.

Dampf

With Async Compute it runs much faster, but it crashes as soon as the marble enters the second area. A shame...

Orta

Banned
Installed it last night. I'll come back to it later based on the feedback here. Maybe in 2027.

When people say "Pixar quality" they don't mean it in the most literal sense. They mean it's close enough to them that the difference between the new R&C and a real Pixar movie is small enough that for them not to care about the gap difference (especially since only one is running in real time). I'm not sure how he and others don't understand that small point.
I guess it comes down to if people are being real with themselves. I personally don't think there is such thing as a game that looks similar to anything Pixar has made. Even their worst film released, is miles above what we have available or into the foreseeable future. This demo would be an exception, but even then, it's just a demo. And even then, R&C is far far away from that quality, as well as any other game for that matter. That's just the reality of it.

People were throwing around Pixar cause they know the reaction they were trying to get. He said fuck it, and moved on to a community that doesn't have console warriors, and can freely post without getting trolled. He's actually been releasing more analysis than he's ever done, thanks to those who are truly curious and want to learn, unlike the majority of posters here.

Shmunter

I guess it comes down to if people are being real with themselves. I personally don't think there is such thing as a game that looks similar to anything Pixar has made. Even their worst film released, is miles above what we have available or into the foreseeable future. This demo would be an exception, but even then, it's just a demo. And even then, R&C is far far away from that quality, as well as any other game for that matter. That's just the reality of it.

People were throwing around Pixar cause they know the reaction they were trying to get. He said fuck it, and moved on to a community that doesn't have console warriors, and can freely post without getting trolled. He's actually been releasing more analysis than he's ever done, thanks to those who are truly curious and want to learn, unlike the majority of posters here.
R&C looks like a Pixar movie to me. It’s ok if it looks like pac-man to some others.

R&C looks like a Pixar movie to me. It’s ok if it looks like pac-man to some others.
Which is a completely fine opinion to have. I just don't like when people personally believe their opinion to be fact, and by someone disagreeing with them, it's now a personal attack on them. But if you think R&C looks like a pixar movie, but this demo doesn't look better, you are kidding yourself big time. By a long shot at that. It's not just about textures and shaders that makes Pixar movies look good, but the lighting specifically. This is the closest thing we have to realistic lighting, and nothing comes close. Let's not kid ourselves here.

Shmunter

Which is a completely fine opinion to have. I just don't like when people personally believe their opinion to be fact, and by someone disagreeing with them, it's now a personal attack on them. But if you think R&C looks like a pixar movie, but this demo doesn't look better, you are kidding yourself big time. By a long shot at that. It's not just about textures and shaders that makes Pixar movies look good, but the lighting specifically. This is the closest thing we have to realistic lighting, and nothing comes close. Let's not kid ourselves here.
Lighting is clearly fully RT here and realistic. But apart from that one category, animation, art, charm are hands down better in R&C. I mean it’s an absurd comparison path to even go down. A cartoony game vs a photo realistic tech demo.

Yes still its only a demo and a very limited one.
So its still far away from beeing usable in bigger games.

I mean if your prefer playing this marble demo over a game like ratchet and clank suit yourself.
Doesn't make R&C less impressive - which btw. has far more impressive animations and details then Toy Story. The only thing R&C lacks in comparison to toystory might be lightning. But Toy Story is prerendered and R&C is real time.

I don't get how anyone can say R&C looks worse then ANY pixar movie.

Last edited:
Lighting is clearly fully RT here and realistic. But apart from that one category, animation, art, charm are hands down better in R&C. I mean it’s an absurd comparison path to even go down. A cartoony game vs a photo realistic tech demo.

Yes still its only a demo and a very limited one.
So its still far away from beeing usable in bigger games.

I mean if your prefer playing this marble demo over a game like ratchet and clank suit yourself.
Doesn't make R&C less impressive.

Guys the point is this demo is a million times closer to a Pixar movie. Let's not be dense and derail this thread please. Just because something looks cartoonish and barely has any raytracing, doesn't automatically make it pixar quality. That's an absurd path to go down.

I already stated that there won't be any games that are close to pixar level of detail, lighting, shaders, etc, releasing any time soon. If we can't achieve that on a 3090, what makes you think a severely cut down GPU in a console can do better? That's why no one likes having these discussions, cause fanboys insert their emotions into these discussions, without wanting to have a technical talk.

This doesn't make R&C ugly or anything. But it doesn't exhibit anything on the level of detail of this demo, or CGI, or Pixar quality. That is a laughable comparison, and honestly will continue to derail this thread. It's about Nvidia, PC, etc, not console warriors. Make a new thread if you want to discuss, but please don't console war in this thread.

Shmunter

Guys the point is this demo is a million times closer to a Pixar movie. Let's not be dense and derail this thread please. Just because something looks cartoonish and barely has any raytracing, doesn't automatically make it pixar quality. That's an absurd path to go down.

I already stated that there won't be any games that are close to pixar level of detail, lighting, shaders, etc, releasing any time soon. If we can't achieve that on a 3090, what makes you think a severely cut down GPU in a console can do better? That's why no one likes having these discussions, cause fanboys insert their emotions into these discussions, without wanting to have a technical talk.

This doesn't make R&C ugly or anything. But it doesn't exhibit anything on the level of detail of this demo, or CGI, or Pixar quality. That is a laughable comparison, and honestly will continue to derail this thread. It's about Nvidia, PC, etc, not console warriors. Make a new thread if you want to discuss, but please don't console war in this thread.
No it’s, not. Pixar movies aren’t just RT. By that measure anything RT is closer to a Pixar movie, ignoring style, animation, presentation. That original RTX silly shiny robot walking through the futuristic mirror city demo is more Pixar?

What a strange way to look at media.

Last edited:

Ah it seems we are arguing what exactly is meant by Pixar quality.
I am Talking about older pixar movies of course nothing that has been made too recently.

Which I believe most people do, when they compare R&C with Pixar movies.

No it’s, not. Pixar movies aren’t just RT. By that measure anything RT is closer to a Pixar movie, ignoring style, animation, presentation. That silly shiny robot walking through the futuristic mirror city is more Pixar?

This is exaclty the point. Some people are so fixiated about finer details they are completly disregarding to the overall picture quality/aesthethics/image

Last edited:
No it’s, not. Pixar movies aren’t just RT. By that measure anything RT is closer to a Pixar movie, ignoring style, animation, presentation. That original RTX silly shiny robot walking through the futuristic mirror city demo is more Pixar?

So being pixar lookalikes, means it needs to be cartoonish? I think we're debating art style to graphical tech at this point. Art style is subjective compared to objective graphical techniques. You may love one art style, while another person hates it. Doesn't automatically make it pixar though fyi.
Ah it seems we are arguing what exactly is meant by Pixar quality.
I am Talking about older pixar movies of course nothing that has been made too recently.

Which I believe most people do, when they compare R&C with Pixar movies.
It still has nothing on even the oldest pixar movies though lol. That's the point. If all you two are thinking is "art" style, than the first R&C looks Pixar quality. On a technical note, there are no games with pixar quality. No matter how much you pour your heart out, facts will remain facts. Just being cartoonish with barely any raytracing =/= Pixar.

This shouldn't upset either of y'all two. It's just the reality. We don't have consumer GPU compute to get to that level. And we definitely are even further away with console level GPU's. Take the console mentality aside and imagine it we had this level of lighting in any game? Combine that with whatever art style you two are fixated on, and you'll be close to pixar quality. Until then, let's all continue to keep dreaming.

It still has nothing on even the oldest pixar movies though lol. That's the point. If all you two are thinking is "art" style, than the first R&C looks Pixar quality. On a technical note, there are no games with pixar quality. No matter how much you pour your heart out, facts will remain facts. Just being cartoonish with barely any raytracing =/= Pixar.

This shouldn't upset either of y'all two. It's just the reality. We don't have consumer GPU compute to get to that level. And we definitely are even further away with console level GPU's. Take the console mentality aside and imagine it we had this level of lighting in any game? Combine that with whatever art style you two are fixated on, and you'll be close to pixar quality. Until then, let's all continue to keep dreaming.

This is bullshit. The only thing R&C is lacking compared to the very first Toy Story is MAYBE lightning.
Everything else looks better in R&C.

If not please explain it with examples ( pictures ).
I am very curious to see what exaclty R&C is lacking to be able to compete against Toy Story (1995)

Top Bottom