• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Marbles RTX Demo is now available for download

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Marbles-at-Night-illumine-lavenir-des-graphiques-dans-NVIDIA.jpg

Back in September 2020, NVIDIA released videos about one of the best tech demo for real-time ray tracing, NVIDIA’s Marbles RTX.
And today, we are happy to report that this tech demo is available for download.

This demo has hundreds of dynamic ray-traced lights and over one hundred million polygons. Furthermore, the demo showcases photorealistic real-time graphics, and supports both NVIDIA’s Omniverse and DLSS technologies.

In order to download and install the Marbles RTX Demo, you’ll have to download the Omniverse beta from here.
Once installed, you can find the RTX Tech demo inside the Omniverse launcher as an app.

Do note that this is a really heavy ray tracing tech demo. So yeah, you’ll need a really powerful GPU in order to run it.

rofif

Banned
from reddit:

"
It's unplayable on a RTX 3080.
9-11 FPS at 1440p
22-24 FPS at 1080p
30-45 FPS at 720p... with frequent drops to 7 FPS
"
These fuckers advertised 3080 and 3090 with this demo year ago saying it runs 30 or something stable... right. So I am not bothering with omniverse right now

Last edited:

sinnergy

from reddit:

"
9-11 FPS at 1440p
22-24 FPS at 1080p
"
These fuckers advertised 3080 and 3090 with this demo year ago saying it runs 30 or something stable... right. So I am not bothering with omniverse right now
Yes , real RT is power hungry , any offline render guy will tell you this ..

That why CGI companies (Pixar even ) have render farms ..

But it’s cool we even have some kind of RT real-time .

Kilau

Gold Member
from reddit:

"
9-11 FPS at 1440p
22-24 FPS at 1080p
"
Well, not going to bother.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Big difference between Nvidia making a marbles demo on NASA supercomputers with all the time in the world to promote RTX cards vs. expecting random game company x to do something this complicated in an actual game, plus adding gameplay, AI and dolby audio.

Name one game company that will make something even 1/10th as detailed as that marbles table.

That's why AMD/Nvidia demos are always short canned videos that have zero gameplay. If they try to promote the gpus with a reasonable demo that reflects an actual game in motion with real time gameplay, the visuals will tank 90%.

Last edited:

Banned
from reddit:

"
9-11 FPS at 1440p
22-24 FPS at 1080p
"

is that with or without DLSS? pretty sure they showed 1080p with DLSS

also, does this run on GTX10 series cards? just out of curiosity I would love to know if there is any way to run this at maybe 20fps somehow... maybe at 480p or something lol

Last edited:

SCB3

Yes , real RT is power hungry , any offline render guy will tell you this ..

That why CGI companies (Pixar even ) have render farms ..

But it’s cool we even have some kind of RT real-time .
Yep and those Render farms are really impressive and a bitch when they were setting up, I helps with the Software and Network rendering side for them, fun times

is that with or without DLSS? pretty sure they showed 1080p with DLSS

also, does this run on GTX10 series cards? just out of curiosity I would love to know if there is any way to run this at maybe 20fps somehow... maybe at 480p or something lol
There is no dlss option. I think it might just be on by default but not sure. 3060ti and I get about 15 fps at 1080p. I don't think a 10 series card could run this at all.

Banned
There is no dlss option. I think it might just be on by default but not sure. 3060ti and I get about 15 fps at 1080p. I don't think a 10 series card could run this at all.

i just like trying shit like that, hence why I would love to try if it works.

Quake 2 RTX runs at around 480p40fps on a 1070... with aggressive dynamic res settings you can get it to 60fps, but you'll be running at N64 resolutions lol

Captn

Getting 48-60 with a 3090 FTW3 on 1080P...

How do I change the resolution ? Cant seem to find options and its not full screen. its like windowed full screen loll

Md Ray

pVkVbbn.png

3060TI 1080p
Something's not right. It's not using the GPU properly.

GPU usage: 100%
FPS: 16

But look at power consumption. It's just using 98 watts when it should be using well over 200W or at least close to it if a well-optimized software is using 100% of the GPU.

Last edited:
Something's not right. It's not using the GPU properly.

GPU usage: 100%
FPS: 16

But look at power consumption. It's just using 98 watts when it should be using well over 200W or at least close to it if a well-optimized software is using 100% of the GPU.
Good catch. Yeah most games are between 180 and 230 Watts depending. Never seen one this low. Didn't even notice when I was messing around.

Getting 48-60 with a 3090 FTW3 on 1080P...

How do I change the resolution ? Cant seem to find options and its not full screen. its like windowed full screen loll
C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\ov\pkg\marbles_rtx-2021.1.5_build\windows-x86_64\release\apps\omni.app.marbles.kit
There is 2 lines for horizontal and vertical resolution. Just edit in notepad

downloaded it alright but it won't start, guess I won't see that wonderfull 5 fps at 4k.
What GPU? If it's under 11gb VRAM you have to edit the same file above to something below your vram

Last edited:
Good catch. Yeah most games are between 180 and 230 Watts depending. Never seen one this low. Didn't even notice when I was messing around.
Because the Nvidia overlay isn't hooked on the game itself it looks to be just doing a reading from the desktop.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
RTX 5000 it’s Quadro.
Lol, this isn't even a joke. It literally says "RTX5000" in that launcher.

EDIT: I think it's referring to Quadro RTX 5000.
Oh I know that, it's just the price...
unknown.png

Big difference between Nvidia making a marbles demo on NASA supercomputers with all the time in the world to promote RTX cards vs. expecting random game company x to do something this complicated in an actual game, plus adding gameplay, AI and dolby audio.

Name one game company that will make something even 1/10th as detailed as that marbles table.

That's why AMD/Nvidia demos are always short canned videos that have zero gameplay. If they try to promote the gpus with a reasonable demo that reflects an actual game in motion with real time gameplay, the visuals will tank 90%.
Why are you quoting me on this ? And why you seem so upset ?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just outright won't start for me. Try again in a few days I guess.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Read my post #27 in this thread. Also you need fairly new drivers. Also took me like 5 minutes for it to load first time.

That edit did the trick, cheers. Funny that you have to do that for an nVidia thing with a 3070 plugged in.

yeah, i've been following him there. Such a shame the fanboys in this site kicked him out, his analysis are extremely interesting.
Good thing he hasn't stopped doing them. As a matter of fact, he's only going to put out more and more, as you've seen. The people over there love his input, and his breakdowns and tech analysis, unlike the warriors over here. I'm almost betting you can keep your eyes out, for an analysis on this. As I just informed him that the demo is available for download.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Yeah he said things that were true. A lot of people took offence to that I guess haha.
Just finished reading one where he compared visuals from The Medium with Returnal (two UE4 games) and gave the overall winner prize to The Medium after considering all the aspects.
If he posted that here, i'm 100% sure the usual crowd would've jumped on him for daring to say a MS game has better graphics than a Sony one.

from reddit:

"
9-11 FPS at 1440p
22-24 FPS at 1080p
"

To be fair, I remeber that it was said the demo was running at 720p, so in this case Nvidia did nothing wrong is just that most people didn't care about knowing the details.

Top Bottom