• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA is lowering GeForce RTX 4090/4080 pricing in Europe by 5%

GymWolf

There were a number of factors that pushed me towards just grabbing the 4080:
  • I currently have a 750w PSU, would need to upgrade it if I got a 4090
  • The 4080 I managed to get (and it was the only one I wanted) is smaller than all of the 4090's with the exception of the liquid cooled ones and fits my current case - no case upgrade required
  • The price delta between the cheaper 4080s and the cheapest 4090s where I live is ~$500
  • On the AMD side there will be no AIB cards for their new models this year apparently, and for my use case it won't end well since they have not added support for the codecs the quest 2 needs.
  • The only 4090 I would have got if it were available is the msi liquid suprim because that would have only required a power supply upgrade in addition, not also a case upgrade. That card has been impossible to find in stock at a reasonable price. I've seen it for upwards of $2500.
So that left me with either getting a 3080/ti or what I've ended up going for. Considering the cheapest new 3080 in my country is still over $800 and $900 for the ti variant it would be foolish to spend that much on a last gen card having waited for so long. I've had the money set aside for what feels like forever now and the Witcher 3 next gen launches soon so it will immediately be put to good use.

For me, from the card I'm coming from and for what I'll be using it for it makes sense, but I can understand why most other people are critical of the current prices, especially if they are currently sitting on a higher end 3xxx series card.
People in here told me that a 1000w was overkill even for a 4090 so i grabbed an 850w over the 1000w i wanted to buy initially.

Did i fucked up?

(Consider that i don't overclock nothing between ram\cpu\gpu)

I'm gonna be pissed if this thing doesn't endure for at least 2 gpu changes...(the one i'm buying now and the next one)

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
People in here told me that a 1000w was overkill even for a 4090 so i grabbed an 850w over the 1000w i wanted to buy initially.

Did i fucked up?

I'm gonna be pissed if this thing doesn't endure for at least 2 gpu changes...(the one i'm buying now and the next one)

No you should be fine as long as its a high quality PSU. Check the tier list.

https://www.gpumag.com/psu-hierarchy/

Worst comes to worst I think with the 4090's you can drop the power limit by 10% and still only suffer a couple of % in performance loss.

GymWolf

No you should be fine as long as its a high quality PSU. Check the tier list.

https://www.gpumag.com/psu-hierarchy/

Worst comes to worst I think with the 4090's you can drop the power limit by 10% and still only suffer a couple of % in performance loss.
Mine is the best tier possible, but even if i don't get a 4090 now, in 3-4 years from now i could get a 6080 that is probably gonna be more power hungry than a 4090, and then i'm fucked...

GHG

Gold Member
Mine is the best tier possible, but even if i don't get a 4090 now, in 3-4 years from now i could get a 6080 that is probably gonna be more power hungry than a 4090, and then i'm fucked...

I'm hoping they pump the brakes on the power requirements in all honesty. How we got to the stage where over 300w is seen as normal I will never know.

Personally I'm hoping to not have to upgrade again for at least 3 years, maybe by then they will have come to their senses and will stop with the 400+ watt cards.

DaGwaphics

What because the pricing of graphics cards and other frivolous items have an effect everyone's futures in a meaningful way?

Arrested Development Eye Roll GIF

Cry me a river.

It's a dramatic statement, sure. But, if the average consumers get priced out of PC gaming over time that would definitely have long term effects on game developers, players, and the space in general. Products for the $12m beach house set have limited reach, to be sure. LOL

It could even have a massive impact on the software available. Say for instance that the high prices on hardware pushed gamers more aggressively on to mobile or streaming devices. That could very easily change the design of what is available.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's a dramatic statement, sure. But, if the average consumers get priced out of PC gaming over time that would definitely have long term effects on game developers, players, and the space in general. Products for the $12m beach house set have limited reach, to be sure. LOL

It could even have a massive impact on the software available. Say for instance that the high prices on hardware pushed gamers more aggressively on to mobile or streaming devices. That could very easily change the design of what is available.
Its why there will always be a need for consoles and honestly I think there could be a market for a $1000 beefy Pro style console

GHG

Gold Member

Nobody is getting priced out of anything. Unless you're aiming for high refresh rate 4k and/or VR (both of which are niche markets) then there is zero need for you to purchase any of the new cards. Lower end cards still exist and are still being purchased. The used market continues to exist. Various console options exist, all the way down to last gen hardware and the Series S.

People buying high end hardware are not the ones pushing the drive towards mobile/streaming/subscriptions, if anything it's the opposite.

GymWolf

I'm hoping they pump the brakes on the power requirements in all honesty. How we got to the stage where over 300w is seen as normal I will never know.

Personally I'm hoping to not have to upgrade again for at least 3 years, maybe by then they will have come to their senses and will stop with the 400+ watt cards.
So do i keep my 850w or not?

DaGwaphics

Nobody is getting priced out of anything. Unless you're aiming for high refresh rate 4k and/or VR (both of which are niche markets) then there is zero need for you to purchase any of the new cards. Lower end cards still exist and are still being purchased. The used market continues to exist. Various console options exist, all the way down to last gen hardware and the Series S.

People buying high end hardware are not the ones pushing the drive towards mobile/streaming/subscriptions, if anything it's the opposite.

That's certainly true for now. But, old hardware breaks and the pricing of the low-end hardware tends to have some correlation with the high-end pricing. I guess we'll see where the rest of the stack falls and the price/performance options that are made available. With them trying to put a $899 price tag on the 12gb 4080 performance level, I'm not feeling that optimistic about the 4000 series in general. Especially in light of them releasing that 3060 8GB variant at the same MSRP as the original with 30% less performance.

Plus, any sales losses that occurred at the low-end due to higher pricing would have a direct effect on future high-end hardware, since the low-end segment represents a major source of revenue that helps to makes the R&D worthwhile.

We'll see how it goes, at this point I would not be surprised if they bumped the price of the 4060 to 3070 levels or more. Hopefully the fact that the general market is not falling for the 4080 pricing, and the sluggish sales resulting from that, will cause them to begrudgingly improve the price : performance of upcoming offerings.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That's certainly true for now. But, old hardware breaks and the pricing of the low-end hardware tends to have some correlation with the high-end pricing. I guess we'll see where the rest of the stack falls and the price/performance options that are made available. With them trying to put a $899 price tag on the 12gb 4080 performance level, I'm not feeling that optimistic about the 4000 series in general. Especially in light of them releasing that 3060 8GB variant at the same MSRP as the original with 30% less performance.

Plus, any sales losses that occurred at the low-end due to higher pricing would have a direct effect on future high-end hardware, since the low-end segment represents a major source of revenue that helps to makes the R&D worthwhile.

We'll see how it goes, at this point I would not be surprised if they doubled the price of the 4060 in comparison to the 3060. Hopefully the fact that the general market is not falling for the 4080 pricing, and the sluggish sales resulting from that, will cause them to begrudgingly improve the price : performance of upcoming offerings.
And just hope the latest "leak" of the 7900XTX numbers showing it ahead of the 4080 are real as that might cause Nvidia to drop prices as well

Though again if leaks are accurate looks like some 7900XTX cards are going to be priced around $1500 because of shortages

DaGwaphics

Though again if leaks are accurate looks like some 7900XTX cards are going to be priced around $1500 because of shortages

$1,500 yikes. Though I figured the AIB models with the giant coolers and the bigger power draw would be more expensive than the reference designs. Hopefully the AMD AIBs will also manufacture some products that match the reference specs more closely (maybe with chips that aren't as high quality and don't overclock as well), and if not, AMD needs to get more reference cards out there and keep them available for the duration.

Buggy Loop

And just hope the latest "leak" of the 7900XTX numbers showing it ahead of the 4080 are real as that might cause Nvidia to drop prices as well

The geekbench leaks are weird, are you referring to those?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/early-amd-rx-7900-xtx-geekbench-5-vulkan-results

The Tom hardware 4080 vulkan score (178k) is more inline with what users are benchmarking on Reddit, even some of them switch 180k score stock, than the low numbers videocardz showed (155k)

Weird. Should be interesting to see the gaming benchmarks..

nemiroff

Gold Member

Did i fucked up?

No you didn't fuck up. 850W should be comfortably within margins if your PSU is of reasonably quality (and no I'm not talking about "bronze, gold, platinum ratings").

Plenty of people are worried about this, but here's a calculator that will probably ease your mind:

This is my PC, so well within limits:
a8vLx0E.png

And here's the absolute best source for good PSUs:

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The geekbench leaks are weird, are you referring to those?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/early-amd-rx-7900-xtx-geekbench-5-vulkan-results

The Tom hardware 4080 vulkan score (178k) is more inline with what users are benchmarking on Reddit, even some of them switch 180k score stock, than the low numbers videocardz showed (155k)

Weird. Should be interesting to see the gaming benchmarks..
Yeah those geekbench leaks

Really want to see real world benchmarks with and without RT before building this next rig but really wanting a good enough reason to go all team red on this next system

There's no justifying 70%. Inflation has little to do with such crazy price increases.
What justification do you expect? Nvidia will charge what the market will bear. If people are willing to pay the prices Nvidia demands, their price is economically justified, if not they'll be forced to lower the price. Bleeding edge GPUs don't exactly have to be distributed equitably in society. You charge as much as you can and that's fine. If you don't like it, get some cheaper GPU used.

Last edited:
This is very insulting to potential customers.

5% ?!!
I could wipe my arse with that 5% and not feel guilty.

Hey Jensen, kindly and respectfully...

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Melon Husk

-5% because of "currency" sure sure.... Not for other products? Will the cut be undone if there's an opposite 5% move? I don't think so.
The fact is that Nvidia can't afford to drop prices too much without losing money on every product sold because the architecture is too damn expensive.
  • The demand side is bifurcated.
  • There are the price-insensitive ones who want the fastest, newest Nvidia GPU.
  • Then there are those who want sane price/performance.
  • RTX 4080 is for neither group. It's a product for nobody.

jigglet

Banned

You're a prime example why we need guillotines for the 1% again. That "I don't have to care" mentality is literally responsible for 99% of all issues we have as a civilization today....

You're a prime example of why people like him get to be the 1% to begin with - cause your generation are so fucking lazy and entitled. But you're free to be like that, and HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 is free to work his ass off... so guess what - the system works.

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

2 years later - cheapest new 3080 (non fe) I can find here is a bit over 1k$
4080 is 1500usd.
yay Poland

You need to look at euro prices for conversion. The MSRP for europe is ~ 1400e, and in PLN it costs about 6500, so fairly at MSRP.
The 4090 is overpriced.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You need to look at euro prices for conversion. The MSRP for europe is ~ 1400e, and in PLN it costs about 6500, so fairly at MSRP.
The 4090 is overpriced.
Maybe. but 3080 was 3300pln when I got it on release from nvidia site. And that was a fair price 2 years ago.
3300pln is 750usd... and back then was about 700 euro. so MSRP.

The cards were never wort a cent more with 10gb vram limit. and 4080 being twice that is a scam af on nvidia part

thuGG_pl

Maybe. but 3080 was 3300pln when I got it on release from nvidia site. And that was a fair price 2 years ago.
3300pln is 750usd... and back then was about 700 euro. so MSRP.

The cards were never wort a cent more with 10gb vram limit. and 4080 being twice that is a scam af on nvidia part

Yeah I know, nV showed the middle finger.

Spyxos

You're a prime example why we need guillotines for the 1% again. That "I don't have to care" mentality is literally responsible for 99% of all issues we have as a civilization today....
Well, buying inflated GPUs is better than wasting Kerosin with a private jet at least
Holy shit this guy should loose internet access for ever.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
5%.....The fuck? Make it 50% and I'll consider buying one. Until then, Huang can gargle on my nuts.

Top Bottom