• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVidia "guiding its partners to increase prices of its current-gen high-end graphics cards"

b0uncyfr0

AMD will rescue us! I have no interest in NV's proce gouging and will always buy the best price/perf ratio card in the upper mid range. Nothing will change that. RT is still not very useful so i can see then next round of cards going in AMD's favour if they don't fuckup RT. We'll see.

In the best case scenerio, AMD releases the 6xxx series with RT - it comes close to NV 3xxx perf wise - is 10-15% cheaper. That's a win in my books.

Last edited:

Ascend

AMD will rescue us! I have no interest in NV's proce gouging and will always buy the best price/perf ratio card in the upper mid range. Nothing will change that. RT is still not very useful so i can see then next round of cards going in AMD's favour if they don't fuckup RT. We'll see.

In the best case scenerio, AMD releases the 6xxx series with RT - it comes close to NV 3xxx perf wise - is 10-15% cheaper. That's a win in my books.
AMD's IPC was fine with Navi. It was basically on par with Turing, but didn't have RT. They also had inferior power consumption. If AMD can fix that, they're ok.

Considering the clock speed of the PS5, which uses RDNA2, and the fact that a console can achieve those clocks, I think AMD will do fine this time around regarding both performance and power consumption. Add in the fact that AMD will use TSMC 7nm EUV and nVidia will use Samsung's 8nm, and things seem to be lined up pretty good for AMD to 'catch up'. The die size of the XSX is also impressive, which also implies that AMD could keep GPU prices relatively low.

I don't think nVidia can get away with their price gouging this time around. Unless AMD also plays along to increase their own profits. But I don't think AMD is in a position to be able to do that yet.

Last edited:

me0wish

Nvidia are Whale hunters. They make all of their money from suckers buying expensive cards. Those same suckers complain about price then buy the next expensive offering.
I actually have a friend who's glad that nvidia is increasing prices so he can boast about being at the top of the master race hierarchy, where only he, and like minded people deserve to be.

I've almost always had Nintendo + PC combo, but I'm seriously considering XSX now.

I actually have a friend who's glad that nvidia is increasing prices so he can boast about being at the top of the master race hierarchy, where only he, and like minded people deserve to be.

I've almost always had Nintendo + PC combo, but I'm seriously considering XSX now.
There's no point in upgrading a PC to max specs, and there hasn't been a need to do it since OG Crysis back in 2005. Games aren't built to max out PC's anymore and very very few games are exclusive to PC.

I don't understand people who spends thousands to play console games at 120fps. Each to their own i suppose

kiphalfton

As if AMD isn't going to price gouge us as well, when Big Navi is released. Pricing for the 5500XT, 5600XT, and 5700XT is not competitive at all, and only reason it is "cheaper" is because they're lacking RT cores.

AMD and Intel aren't going to save us from Nvidia. They're all out to make money, and if you think that otherwise you're fooling yourself.

Blond

Banned
My lord I'm happy I stopped chasing the PC dream and stick with those games you can only get on the platform (diablo, surviving mars, etc that don't require a lot but wouldn't be playable on a controller), the price of entry is getting beyond ridiculous. It use to be 6-800 got you a good multi use PC, I can't believe that uneducated console trolling of "one component cost as much as console" is becoming more and more true.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Saw this coming and upgraded a few months back. I know new better cards are on the way but they're going to be prohibitively expensive and I don't think solid mainstream competitors at the <$400 price point are going to arrive any time soon.

me0wish

There's no point in upgrading a PC to max specs, and there hasn't been a need to do it since OG Crysis back in 2005. Games aren't built to max out PC's anymore and very very few games are exclusive to PC.

I don't understand people who spends thousands to play console games at 120fps. Each to their own i suppose

Lol, if you think he plays demanding games, you're completely mistaken, it's games like lol and hearth stone he plays, the gpu is just for bragging rights.

Ascend

As if AMD isn't going to price gouge us as well, when Big Navi is released. Pricing for the 5500XT, 5600XT, and 5700XT is not competitive at all, and only reason it is "cheaper" is because they're lacking RT cores.

AMD and Intel aren't going to save us from Nvidia. They're all out to make money, and if you think that otherwise you're fooling yourself.
Nah... I think they will still undercut nVidia, just not by that much. Look how things are on the CPU side. AMD could technically be charging more, but they are not. They are still careful with their brand and image, and as long as that is the case, they will not go the nVidia route of price gouging more than they really need to. They need to establish themselves as a market leader first, before they can do this, and they know it. Otherwise everyone will simply buy nVidia instead.

My lord I'm happy I stopped chasing the PC dream and stick with those games you can only get on the platform (diablo, surviving mars, etc that don't require a lot but wouldn't be playable on a controller), the price of entry is getting beyond ridiculous. It use to be 6-800 got you a good multi use PC, I can't believe that uneducated console trolling of "one component cost as much as console" is becoming more and more true.
It's one of the reasons it might now simply be a better deal to get an XSX rather than a PC (or a PS5), if the console prices are anywhere below $700. That's how absurd graphics card prices have gotten.

Ovek

7Member7
Well the 2080 super I bought off Amazon earlier in the year is now a horrifying £250+ more that I paid for it.

3070 and 3080 are going to be hideously expensive.

Top Bottom