• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Branson

If fan noise isn't a concern, then the EVGA cards would be fine. Otherwise, I'd say the Asus is the better buy. Support is only really useful if there's a problem with your card and you bought it from a place that won't let you return it (so don't do that).
I went with ASUS. Thanks!

MANGOD

Banned
Looking at the Aorus extreme edition and in oc mode its pulling around 431 watts in a few reviews I seen. I only have a 650 supply, is this running it a bit to close?
System is an i5 7600k with a couple 250ssd and 1 tb drive also.

Looking at the Aorus extreme edition and in oc mode its pulling around 431 watts in a few reviews I seen. I only have a 650 supply, is this running it a bit to close?

Guess you'll have to use it and find out!

Nah, I think you're fine.

dr_rus

Recommended PSU
600W

Power Connectors
8 pin*2

You'll be fine probably.

AfterBurner beta 16 out:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/MSIAfterburnerSetup440Beta16.rar

Voltage is unlocked automatically now.

Using it with no problems. Installed Beta nVidia drivers (ones from July 31st) and got a decent bump in Firestrike and tiny bump in TimeSpy. Drivers may be partly responsible at least for FS. Previous high FS graphics score on this profile was 32,296; total 23,305 from a different run. Previous high TimeSpy graphics was 11,188.

FYI this is 2114 core/6039 memory (+535)

14pu8i.jpg

Anyway I've known it for a while now but my original dream of reaching 33k graphics in FS isn't going to be possible with this card. Fuck it!

Benchmark fun aside, I've decided on a new gaming OC that's working out great. My card doesn't like under-volting so I give it 1.050 which is enough for 2088/6039 (+535 mem) and sitting in the low 40s on load. Good stuff.

Under-volting is fun. I was convinced my card didn't like it on previous attempts but with some tweaks to the curve I got some good results. Granted, the S4K and FS scores are about 400 off compared to mymax OC (about 1100 off on graphics on FS).

2012/6039 at .993v is solid though and I'll probably end up just using this for games.

MrBS

Going from a 970 to this has been cathartic, I loved that card but the VRAM became an issue so much quicker than I thought it would. Watching that VRAM number just go up and up on this in titles is something. Fallout 4 at 4K hitting 9-10GB and still looking like Fallout is somewhat disheartening. OT but yikes to 7700K and overclocking (or lack thereof). 2600K spoiled me for life.

Hi all got a question will a overclocked 6600k at 4.5 bottle neck a TI

In the strictest terms - and maybe that's where dr_rus is coming from - there may be some games where it will compared to a higher CPU, but you'd have to be running benchmarks and two machines with a 6600k and a higher processor side-by-side to see the difference and even then you'd most likely have to look at the FPS counter (as opposed to seeing a difference on screen).

All-in-all, the 6600k will pair with a 1080Ti nicely.

s-bojan

Banned
I finally got Aorus Extreme and I am really satisfied with the card.
However,it's paired with 4650k running on stock(cannot overclock it more than 4.1).
So, should I upgrade my cpu (which one?) or wait for something new?
I also have 144hz monitor and it would be nice to finally use it.

scoobs

I finally got Aorus Extreme and I am really satisfied with the card.
However,it's paired with 4650k running on stock(cannot overclock it more than 4.1).
So, should I upgrade my cpu (which one?) or wait for something new?
I also have 144hz monitor and it would be nice to finally use it.

Honestly, upgrading your CPU wouldn't be worth it right now. I'd wait for the new i7 6 cores in a few months if you're dead set on upgrading.

derFeef

Ordered myself the Asus Strix. I was not sure I would jump in now but free Destiny 2 from Amazon is cool. Up next either a nice gsync/hdr monitor or a 4K TV.
edit: wow I got the last one from them! Next cards are available September.

I almost had a heart attack the other day. Playing Xcom 2 at 4K and turned on 2xMSAA and suddenly my PC makes the most hideous grinding, screaming sound and the screen goes black. So I quickly turn it off and checked my Aorus 1080ti. It was hot to the touch but not so much I couldn't handle it and I had MSI afterburner running to see it's temps and nothing was out of the ordinary (hitting 70c-ish). What the hell was it? Is my card dying or having a serious issue? Never hard a GPU make such a racket before.
Works fine right now but what caused it?

s-bojan

Banned
Honestly, upgrading your CPU wouldn't be worth it right now. I'd wait for the new i7 6 cores in a few months if you're dead set on upgrading.

Tnx. I was thinking about buying older i7 so that I don't have to upgrade MB as well (and sell my i5) until there is something noticeably better.

hollams

Gold Member
Bought the Asus Strix last week so I missed out on the Destiny 2 game. Bummed a bit but did get back $20 back on the purchase because of price match. Just my luck.

Well -

I've been rocking with the GTX 580 for 5 years and I recently just upgraded to 1080 ti. Rocking with the EVGA FTW3 11G-P4-6696-KR model. Predator x34 monitor being delivered today. Wow, what an upgrade even before I get to plug in my new monitor.

Any tinkering I should do with this card? Seems like it has a decent OC out of the box, right? Been out of the game for a minute, so it will be awhile before I get my bearings.

Well -

I've been rocking with the GTX 580 for 5 years and I recently just upgraded to 1080 ti. Rocking with the EVGA FTW3 11G-P4-6696-KR model. Predator x34 monitor being delivered today. Wow, what an upgrade even before I get to plug in my new monitor.

Any tinkering I should do with this card? Seems like it has a decent OC out of the box, right? Been out of the game for a minute, so it will be awhile before I get my bearings.

That is one hell of an upgrade. You're going to love it!

If you use EVGA Precision I think you can just turn on the OC mode and be set.

If you're up for it I would also download AfterBurner and tinker with it just to see what you can get out of benchmarks and highest clocks you can sustain.

See my post above for link to AfterBurner beta 16. Once you install the voltage lock should be available without having to do the typical changes (though you might still have to check the box in the settings of AfterBurner).

Then slide the voltage, power and temp limits to max and crank the core and memory on that shit.

xinek

I have the EVGA 1080ti SC2, and it seems to be sagging just a bit. Is this a problem? Is it worth buying a backplate, or is it sufficient to prop it up? Or just leave it? It's not sagging a lot; it's just barely perceptible. It seems like it could possibly get worse over time, though?

Had some fun today setting up custom fan curves, and now I can run games about 2 degrees cooler with almost no noticeable increase in noise. This is my first gaming PC since probably 1998, so there is a LOT to learn. I also really don't want to ruin any of my new hardware by making stupid tweaks!

I have the EVGA 1080ti SC2, and it seems to be sagging just a bit. Is this a problem? Is it worth buying a backplate, or is it sufficient to prop it up? Or just leave it? It's not sagging a lot; it's just barely perceptible. It seems like it could possibly get worse over time, though?

Had some fun today setting up custom fan curves, and now I can run games about 2 degrees cooler with almost no noticeable increase in noise. This is my first gaming PC since probably 1998, so there is a LOT to learn. I also really don't want to ruin any of my new hardware by making stupid tweaks!

Sagging is not a big deal.

You're not going to ruin any hardware with tweaks OCs and curves. At worst it'll just crash.

dr_rus

I feel like this one is absolutely unnecessary as there's not that much space between 1070(OC) and 1080 to fit a card in. So I'm skeptical about this rumor. It would make a lot more sense for NV to just drop the prices of 1070 and 1080 some $50-100 again.

I feel like this one is absolutely unnecessary as there's not that much space between 1070(OC) and 1080 to fit a card in. So I'm skeptical about this rumor. It would make a lot more sense for NV to just drop the prices of 1070 and 1080 some $50-100 again.

wasn't ddr5x worse for mining or something? Maybe it is just a 1070 with ddr5x to try to divide that market.

dr_rus

wasn't ddr5x worse for mining or something? Maybe it is just a 1070 with ddr5x to try to divide that market.

Would make even less sense as I'd guess that 90% of such cards would be able to reach 1080 performance level. As I've said, it just makes a lot more sense to just drop the prices if they want to better align the cards against RX Vega.

In fact, what they really need is a 1060Ti, not 1070Ti.

Hi guys. Well, I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a 1080Ti and decided to go with the Asus. But....which version to go with? I want the best one available with the highest over clock out of the box. Is this it?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXZBPHZ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Maybe, maybe not. You must play the silicon lottery. You may win or you may not win as much.

Good luck.

PS: if you really want the highest chance of the best potential, get a Hybrid cooled card.

ZOONAMI

Would make even less sense as I'd guess that 90% of such cards would be able to reach 1080 performance level. As I've said, it just makes a lot more sense to just drop the prices if they want to better align the cards against RX Vega.

In fact, what they really need is a 1060Ti, not 1070Ti.

I actually do think if they do a 1070 Ti with gddr5x mining is the primary driver, although the ether difficulty has gotten to the point where I feel like gpu mining is hardly worth it. Still though 1070s I think are pretty much sold out everywhere but the US.

I don't think it really has anything to do with Vega, I think if they did do this they would just eol both the 1070 and 1080.

A 1070ti with higher 11ghz memory and slightly boosted clocks over a 1080 would be just as fast if not faster than a 1080, especially if it has the sake number of shaders as the mobile card.

I dunno why they would want to kill their only real mining card either though. So yeah it just seems like this is bogus.

dr_rus

I actually do think if they do a 1070 Ti with gddr5x mining is the primary driver, although the ether difficulty has gotten to the point where I feel like gpu mining is hardly worth it. Still though 1070s I think are pretty much sold out everywhere but the US.
Freely available here in Russia since the beginning of August. Prices are a tad higher than they were back in spring but that's local "stability tax" more than anything else. GPU mining spike have went away already, most new miners realized that there's no guarantee that they'll even be able to return what they've invested into the rigs, let alone make any profit off them. So most of them are just selling off whatever h/w they've bought in June and July.

It's also kinda irrelevant to NV (or AMD for that matter) who's buying their cards, they get their money regardless. Why would they fight the demand on their products?

I don't think it really has anything to do with Vega, I think if they did do this they would just eol both the 1070 and 1080.

A 1070ti with higher 11ghz memory and slightly boosted clocks over a 1080 would be just as fast if not faster than a 1080, especially if it has the sake number of shaders as the mobile card.

I dunno why they would want to kill their only real mining card either though. So yeah it just seems like this is bogus.
It is possible that they want to sell off whatever GP104 inventory they have left between Oct and March in preparation for the next gen launch. This is the only real reason I can imagine for introducing a card between 1070 and 1080.

Thanks. Link to the Hybrid Cooled version?

Edit: so this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071X467PT/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That one looks like it'll work if you already have a custom water loop running (someone correct me if that's wrong)

If you're looking for something that's "all in one" for water cooled, I think you'd be looking for something more like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0713XX64Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I haven't followed 1080Tis terribly close, so I'm sure someone will tell you/me if that's a bad card. (i'm on my third EVGA and love them)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
That one looks like it'll work if you already have a custom water loop running (someone correct me if that's wrong)

If you're looking for something that's "all in one" for water cooled, I think you'd be looking for something more like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0713XX64Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I haven't followed 1080Tis terribly close, so I'm sure someone will tell you/me if that's a bad card. (i'm on my third EVGA and love them)

Thanks. And yes, someone please chime in and tell me if this is a recommended card over the Asus Strix.

Hey guys, I've never set a voltage curve or over-volted. Looking to start now that I have quite a bit of power room.

Any guides on where to start?

In AfterBurner:

-Unlock voltage, set it to max on the slider and run whatever your max OC is, then check monitor to see what voltage and clocks you hit.
-Hit Ctrl + F to open curve
-Set a clock to a corresponding voltage point that you'd like to sustain. The curve should snap to. Go high at first and see what's stable.

Once stable, try to hit those same max clocks at lower voltage. Basically, find the lowest voltage that will maintain those clocks.

Then try under-volting. Go like .993v and see what max clocks you can get, keeping in mind that even 2012Mhz on core vs 2126Mhz is negligible difference in real-world performance.

ZOONAMI

Who has done a step up for an evga 1080 Ti?

I put in my request like 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything on step 2.

AmyS

Searched and didn't see this posted.

EVGA Offers GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Elite With 12GHz Memory.

EVGA announced that its GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE is now available, with memory running at 12,002MHz. Compared to the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Gaming we reviewed earlier this year, the increased memory clock speed results in a 9% boost in total memory bandwidth. Aside from that, the two cards are virtually identical.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga-gtx-1080-ti-ftw3-elite-12ghz-memory,35520.html

The new GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Elite features a custom PCB with 10+2-phase VRM, drawing power from two 8-pin PCIe power connectors and works at 1569/1683MHz for GPU base/Boost clocks. As noted, it packs 11GB of GDDR5X memory on a 384-bit memory interface, which, clocked at 12006MHz, adds up to 528.3 GB/s of memory bandwidth.
http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/44565-evga-releases-new-gtx-1080-ti-ftw3-elite

jonaa

Neo Member
Recently uppgraded my rig with a 1080ti MSI Gaming X and an Asus PG279Q. Playing the Titanfall 2 campaign on this right now is just sooooo good.

165hz and 1440P is so worth it. Intended to go Vega but was underwhelmed and couldn’t wait longer.

Bydobob

Who has done a step up for an evga 1080 Ti?

I put in my request like 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything on step 2.

You need to reign in your expectations. When I went 980ti to 1080 it was more like 3 months in the queue before I got the green light. Ended up not bothering as it was more cost efficient (and quicker) to sell on fleabay and buy new on Amazon. UK here though so ymmv.

Bizzquik

Thinking of doing a new build around Black Friday, should I go with a 1080 Ti, or wait for the next hotness?

I would like to know this, too. Generally speaking, how much better are late November prices versus prices now?

I've enjoyed reading through this thread and wanted to see if I have this summarized correctly: Basically there is little difference in performance between the various 1080 TI's. Essentially we're down to fan noise, negligible temperature difference, and 2-3% fps difference.

I've bought EVGA cards for a while, but I seemed to be reading a consensus emerge in this thread in the purchasing decisions of others for the ASUS RoG Strix. Makes sense - nice card. My thought was to get the OC version so that I have a soft set-it-and-forget-it overclock out of the box. This looks to be slightly more expensive than other cards, but to this untrained eye, it seems like it has good temps and nice tweaks.

I'm thinking alot about that quote above. Timing is everything; it always is. There is always another upgrade coming, another sale. But in reading the news, it sounds like Volta may be later than we thought. Probably not quarter one, so...June? Maybe even later? ...But there's a part of me that'd feel like a sucker for getting a 1080 TI now - after resisting for several months. If prices will be noticeably less in two months for the 1080 TI, maybe I can hold out a bit longer and still pat myself on the back later. :)

Top Bottom