• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

When should we expect 4K@60 fps cards that are in the $300 range?

I guess if the 1170 is as fast as the 1080TI, then that card might do the trick. But we don't know when that will release and no clue if Nvidia will actually launch it at $300. If it takes too much longer than that, then you'll be looking at more demanding games so it may not apply anyways :p

EDIT: Revised my thinking - could be sooner than 2-3 years :p

Aeana

Just wait to buy a 1080ti, the queue for step up can become huge and they always prioritize new sales over step up.

But getting a 1080 Ti from retail is probably going to take just as long, or longer. For me, anyway; I don't have the time or the ability to refresh store pages hoping for stock.

grendelrt

But getting a 1080 Ti from retail is probably going to take just as long, or longer. For me, anyway; I don't have the time or the ability to refresh store pages hoping for stock.

Maybe, just depends on how much stock they get. You would have to pay for shipping back to them as well. Theres tons of people going to be stepping up in this case, because they reset the step up period for people with 1080s that did the icx upgrade last month, and the vast majority of those people are probably doing step up (I am lol). I would just try to pick up a new card from Amazon, EVGA , Newegg, etc. instead of waiting in a line of undetermined length.

Apc34v2.gif

Have they said what third party cards will be available tomorrow? Or am I just imagining that some are releasing tomorrow as well?

jrcbandit

I'm interested in AiB cards, particularly the EVGA FTW3, but not if I have to wait 6-8 months to purchase it, might as well hold out for Volta in 2018 then... I bet it will be as big of clusterfuck as the limited 1080 supply situation last year.
Apc34v2.gif

Have they said what third party cards will be available tomorrow? Or am I just imagining that some are releasing tomorrow as well?
Only founder edition is releasing tomorrow. If it is a 3rd party, they will still be using Nvidia's default PCB and default crappy cooler.

Tareskog

Well. I kept telling myself that buying a gsync monitor would enhance the life span of my GTX980 enough for me to avoid wanting to buy a 1000-gen graphics card... Well. The results that the 1080Ti is showing is making this gen skip really difficult. Maybe if I can sell my current card for at least 2000NOK....

Does anyone know any magic spells to add an extra 0 or two to my bank balance?

Put the 0 at the front...?

Trago

I'm happy enough with my 1070. I'd prefer to go one GPU per architecture iteration, which is why the wait for Volta is exciting.

Anyone know where Digital River/Nvidia ships cards from?

I would assume the west coast, but I've never ordered from them directly before.

jwhit28

Vipu

Banned
I have the Acer X34 which is the 1440p ultrwide gsync monitor. WoW literally kills my framerate in large PvP or PvE fights with 980 SLI at midrange settings. WoW is an old game, yes the graphics have been updated, but it's nowhere near games like Witcher 3 or something even newer.

Isnt wow limited by cpu more than gpu?

Only founder edition is releasing tomorrow. If it is a 3rd party, they will still be using Nvidia's default PCB and default crappy cooler.

What kind of additional overclocking are people expectting from custom cards versus founder edition?

Would like to get a 1080 Ti before Mass Effect

Intru

Isnt wow limited by cpu more than gpu?

WoW is limited by its engine (it was made like 17 years ago, and updated extensively since). There's some kind of weird bottleneck.

You'll have frame drops below 60FPS with GPU usage at 50%, and no CPU core over 20%.

greekappi

I am looking for some help here! I currently have two 980s in SLI but I'm still getting some choppiness in games like GTA V and Forza Horizon 3. I can't get a stable 60fps even at just 1080p. It's close but wavers sometimes to high 40s. Will a single 1080 Ti be better than my two 980s?

Is my old processor the real culprit? I have a i7 2600k from when I built my PC in 2011. The only things that are updated from that time are the 980s I put in to replace by two 570s. Do I need an upgraded motherboard? RAM? Here's what I have;
KZzgZFJ.png

I guess what I need to know is, will the 1080 Ti fix my problems or do I need to upgrade everything?

Thanks!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Good thread guys. Quick question.... will an Intel i7 4790K OC'ed @ 4.6Ghz bottleneck this card in any way in your opinion? I don't plan on running super high resolution but I do use VR.

Vipu

Banned
I am looking for some help here! I currently have two 980s in SLI but I'm still getting some choppiness in games like GTA V and Forza Horizon 3. I can't get a stable 60fps even at just 1080p. It's close but wavers sometimes to high 40s. Will a single 1080 Ti be better than my two 980s?

Is my old processor the real culprit? I have a i7 2600k from when I built my PC in 2011. The only things that are updated from that time are the 980s I put in to replace by two 570s. Do I need an upgraded motherboard? RAM? Here's what I have;
KZzgZFJ.png

I guess what I need to know is, will the 1080 Ti fix my problems or do I need to upgrade everything?

Thanks!

Yeah new cpu+mobo+memory would help a ton.

KZzgZFJ.png

Thanks!

If the i7 2600K is highly overclocked you'd ok, maybe, but a stock i7 2600K is definitely a bottleneck for a lot of games for a 1080ti. Forza Horizon 3 is never going to run fully smooth and it's CPU bound and runs poorly for everyone. A single 1080ti will be better than SLI 980s in just about every case I'd assume but your CPU maybe your bigger current issue.

Aeana

I'm interested in AiB cards, particularly the EVGA FTW3, but not if I have to wait 6-8 months to purchase it, might as well hold out for Volta in 2018 then... I bet it will be as big of clusterfuck as the limited 1080 supply situation last year.

Are we sure about this? nVidia's official line is

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti graphics cards, including the NVIDIA Founders Edition, will be available worldwide — across 238 countries and territories — from NVIDIA GeForce partners, including ASUS, EVGA, Gainward, Galaxy, Gigabyte, iGame, Innovision 3D, MSI, Palit, PNY and Zotac, starting March 10th at 10am. Prices, including those for the NVIDIA Founders Edition, start at $699.

Which makes it sound like it's more than that.

Weevilone

I think we might see FE plus some re-using the 1080 cooler initially. Then we'll see a second wave with better cooling.

Just my guess though.

Laiza

Replacing two 980 TIs with a single 1080 TI? That's a sidegrade, and not a really worthwhile one at that.

Even with my two 970s I find myself very hard-pressed to consider this worth it. Even if I sold my 970s for $200 each (big "if"), paying the $300 difference for a 30-40% improvement in performance is a tough pill to swallow.

Then again, my last upgrade was from two 670s to two 970s, so it makes sense for me to wait regardless. If anything, I should be upgrading my CPU since I'm still stuck on the same old i5 2500k. Decisions, decisions...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Tempted. But my 980ti is giving me plenty performance so far at 1440p. Plz GAF, help me save my money!

Pagusas

Elden Member
God that title date format is ugly. Can we at least agree to use yyyy/mm/dd if we aren't going to use mm/dd/yyyy.

Durante

God that title date format is ugly. Can we at least agree to use yyyy/mm/dd if we aren't going to use mm/dd/yyyy.
mm/dd/yyyy makes no sense at all, it's not even sorted by unit size.

That said, the only acceptable date format on an international forum should be yyyy-mm-dd. It's the ISO standard :p

Human_me

Seriously tempted to get this.
Currently have a Geforce 970.
I may wait till May/June and see what Vega has to offer.

It's going to be tough for Vega to compete with this, but I hope they do and once next gen rolls, we'll get this performance for <500€. My 1070 shall suffice until then.

teiresias

Can't wait to get this card to get some performance boost over my 980 on my 3440x1440 monitor. Since I'm waiting for non-FE partner cards I'll just add $100 to my Amazon credit every week until I get to the purchase price and then hopefully be able to find stock by that point. I'm currently playing some really old games in my backlog that wouldn't take advantage of it anyway.

Top Bottom