• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia did Quake 2 RTX, AMD should do Unreal Gold raytracing

So Nvidia did Quake 2 rtx to showcase their raytracing capabilities on their cards.
So, I guess big navi will also have ray tracing capabilities. What better way to show off that sweet ray tracing then to modify an older game? Unreal from 1998 is the perfect candidate for this.
ID and Epic always had rivalry (quake vs unreal, quake 3 vs unreal tournament etc). Wouldn't it be awesome if AMD did a reimagining/modifying Unreal? That would be so damn cool.
What do you think?

unreal27dj.jpg

Imagine this but with updated visuals/textures and raytracing. Oh baby!

93xfan

Banned
So Nvidia did Quake 2 rtx to showcase their raytracing capabilities on their cards.
So, I guess big navi will also have ray tracing capabilities. What better way to show off that sweet ray tracing then to modify an older game? Unreal from 1998 is the perfect candidate for this.
ID and Epic always had rivalry (quake vs unreal, quake 3 vs unreal tournament etc). Wouldn't it be awesome if AMD did a reimagining/modifying Unreal? That would be so damn cool.
What do you think?

unreal27dj.jpg

I still think it looks nice, at least from the screen shot. Full path tracing would be awesome if possible

Bubba77

oh fuck yes. Unreal was that game for me that really started to feel next genish to me. It was a huge leap and the game was incredible. I would just let that intro play all the time of the arial approach around the buildings and that awesome music going. Would love an unreal remaster.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What do you think?

unreal27dj.jpg

Unreal?
You mean the one by Epic Games?
The guys who are in bed with Nvidia left, right and center?

Yeah....Unreal RTX is more likely than that.

reptilex

Banned
Did AMD even present their RTX opponent solution? Or DLSS? Or Flex? Or VGXI? etc...

AMD did so many efforts 8 years ago like dual-core GPU, Ryzen, Freesync, Vulkan, Intel-AMD package etc...but it's like they've abandoned the competition...

llien

Epic always seems to prefer working closely with Nvidia, so it seems unlikely.
'xcept their engine is cross platform, and guess who's GPUs are in major consoles.

The guys who are in bed with Nvidia left, right and center?
Please remind me, which NV card was involved:

Last edited:

Black_Stride

'xcept their engine is cross platform, and guess who's GPUs are in major consoles.

Please remind me, which NV card was involved:

When they need to demo their Raytracing capability, be sure to call me when they use an AMD chip.

llien

When they need to demo their Raytracing capability, be sure to call me when they use an AMD chip.
That's a much MUCH softer statement than the original one, though.
Epic just chose to demo their next engine on... AMD powered console.
Last, but not least, it looked great, didn't use RT and people had to ask, if it did or not. What does the latter tell us about RT? Does anyone really have to use it for game to look great?

a competitive high end card,
What budget is that?

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Next month Nvidia will launch Ampere GPUs with much better RT performance, and RDNA2 GPUs are also around the corner, so more and more people will be able to run games with RT effects. I think it's only a question of time when moders will start implementing RT in such classic games like unreal 1 or Half Life 1.

BTW. Unreal 1 had very sharp reflections already even without RT, but reflections on water surface would be nice (especially since RT reflections arnt nearly as demanding as RT GI or shadows, and even GPUs without HW RT can run RT reflections with good results).

FireFly

Right, but would a ray traced version of the original Unreal be relevant in the console space? Obviously UE4/5 will support DXR 1.1, but I would be surprised if they worked with AMD to create a special version of the original Unreal engine for a marketing opportunity.

00_Zer0

Question, is it known if any RTX enabled games will work on all the future AMD RDNA 2 cards automatically, or is it a propiatery ray tracing that Nvidia uses?

If certain kind of ray tracing is exclusive to one card or the other I see people getting pissed off having to do with which games will work with which cards.

Black_Stride

Question, is it known if any RTX enabled games will work on all the future AMD RDNA 2 cards automatically, or is it a propiatery ray tracing that Nvidia uses?

If certain kind of ray tracing is exclusive to one card or the other I see people getting pissed off having to do with which games will work with which cards.

Pretty much every game currently with raytracing is using DXR, so if your GPU supports DXR then yes it will just work regardless of who the manufacturer is.

Think of it like when a new version of DirectX comes out games will have the DirectX10 or whatever features blanked out and if one manufacturer release a GPU that supports DirectX X then it will seem like only "manufacturers" GPUs work then another manufacturer releases their DirectX GPU and it just works.

Nvidia was just first to market with a DXR capable GPU so people are assuming all raytracing is RTX Raytracing.....its not.

Right, but would a ray traced version of the original Unreal be relevant in the console space? Obviously UE4/5 will support DXR 1.1, but I would be surprised if they worked with AMD to create a special version of the original Unreal engine for a marketing opportunity.
This is a PC game, first and foremost.

00_Zer0

Pretty much every game currently with raytracing is using DXR, so if your GPU supports DXR then yes it will just work regardless of who the manufacturer is.

Think of it like when a new version of DirectX comes out games will have the DirectX10 or whatever features blanked out and if one manufacturer release a GPU that supports DirectX X then it will seem like only "manufacturers" GPUs work then another manufacturer releases their DirectX GPU and it just works.

Nvidia was just first to market with a DXR capable GPU so people are assuming all raytracing is RTX Raytracing.....its not.
Thanks for the information. That means if I go with RDNA2 later in the year instead of Ampere all the games released thus far and even under the RTX brand will work, nice! Glad to hear that when games are labeled as RTX games that's only market speak and will work with any game with DXR by Microsoft.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Thanks for the information. That means if I go with RDNA2 later in the year instead of Ampere all the games released thus far and even under the RTX brand will work, nice! Glad to hear that when games are labeled as RTX games that's only market speak and will work with any game with DXR by Microsoft.

Pretty much.
In game Ive only seen Metro Exodus make specific mention of RTX, but they heavily favor Nvidia tech since way back when so no real surprise there....it even uses Hairworks.
In game its usually just Raytracing or DXR, and I guess soon VulkanRT.
The RTX labeling is purely marketing from Nvidia, developers dont say any of that stuff in the actual games because they know their game is hardware agnostic. It will be curious what Metro Exodus does when AMD and Intel DXR capable GPUs hit the market, they will likely make an update to change the wording.

MetroExodus_2019_02_15_13_59_28_440.jpg

^RTX mentioned in Metro Exodus.

07aVmzi5ZiBYzBVt0prWPU2-5..v_1585086753.png

^In Control, it just says Ray Tracing.

battlefield-v-known-issues-bugs-directx-12-dxr-enabled.png

^In Battlefield they just use DXR.

Soltype

So did you by RTX Titan? And if not, it seems to me, price does matter.
*Goes out and buys mid range Nvidia card that AMD competes well with*

I have a 1080 TI right now if I wanted to upgrade I have no other realistic path outside of Nvidia. Like I said, in the enthusiast tier AMD is non existent.I'm really hoping AMD has something big this year, I'm tired of having to buy Nvidia cards because a lack of options.

Tesseract

Banned
search for open tournament, it's prolly the closest we'll get unless the stack is released, exported, converted, so forth

they might release the 2017 code with ue5, we'll see

your feel is known, elektro

Last edited:

llien

in the enthusiast tier
There is no abstract all encompassing "enthusiast tier" and that pat Raja times AMD rolled out only 250mm2 chip is a well known fact.
The idea, that 505mm2 AMD chip won't be able to compete with whatever NV rolles out priced at 1080Ti levels is crazy.

Top Bottom