• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang claims that console ray tracing is a reaction to Geforce RTX

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Next year, new consoles from both Sony and Microsoft are due to release. Both of these systems are due to feature hardware-accelerated raytracing. In Nvidia's Q3 2020 earnings call, the company's CEO, Jensen Huang, claimed that this addition was a reaction to Geforce RTX, saying that "the next-generation consoles had to stutter step and include ray tracing".

This statement suggests that realtime ray tracing was not a target for both next-generation consoles initially, with the release of Nvidia's Turing architecture acting as a turning point for the industry.

With both consoles next-generation consoles supporting raytracing hardware, it is clear that raytracing is where the future of graphics technology lies. Huang also called the Geforce RTX series a "home run", later saying that "there are several hundred million PC gamers in the world that don't have the benefits of it, and I'm looking forward to upgrading them." This showcases the confidence that Huang has in the future of Geforce and RTX ray tracing.

DarkestHour

Banned
Can't disagree and I can't see how it's going to work well on consoles if Nvidia can't even get it to work well on their own dedicated full size GPU.

dsk1210

I think if the RTX cards had not came out Ray Tracing might have been bypassed this gen coming up, they certainly brought it into the limelight.

I'm sorry that Jensen Huang being right goes against some people's agendas? I don't know what this OP is trying to accomplish.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh,sorry, it seems in english relevance is not synonymous with importance. I mean it´s gonna be of no consequence for the most part.

Consoles are the baseline that pushes gaming tech forward on the mass market. If most games utilize it, even if it is mainly for shadows and the like, it will be a positive push for the tech on the PC.

Something Huang should have been more keen on saying, but that would probably hurt too much since all he throws around is salt most of the time.

Bring on next-gen. This will boost the support for RT on the PC platform, and you know it, Huang.
I think it's more likely to kill it off once and for all. It falls well into diminishing returns territory...and it doesn't "just work". It takes an awful lot of time and effort to get running and even when you do most people are just going to disable it to net the extra performance. That goes for consoles too. Consoles are always budget machines...and budget machines means making visual concessions to meet performance targets (even if those performance targets are just 30FPS).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Unlikely that AMD just started working on the console tech after Nvidia announced RTX. More likely that they are both always working on more or less the same things and technology finally got to the point that real-time ray tracing in some form is finally feasible.

lukilladog

Consoles are the baseline that pushes gaming tech forward on the mass market. If most games utilize it, even if it is mainly for shadows and the like, it will be a positive push for the tech on the PC.

Something Huang should have been more keen on saying, but that would probably hurt too much since all he throws around is salt most of the time.

I don´t think it´s worth it, specially considering there are a few realistic shadow and illumination techniques on queue that are not as demanding as this:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think it's more likely to kill it off once and for all. It falls well into diminishing returns territory...and it doesn't "just work". It takes an awful lot of time and effort to get running and even when you do most people are just going to disable it to net the extra performance. That goes for consoles too. Consoles are always budget machines...and budget machines means making visual concessions to meet performance targets (even if those performance targets are just 30FPS).

RT implementation has improved vastly from what it was when it was rolled out last year. The problem is the cards aren't good enough, but Nvidia will fix that problem soon enough. I'd say the tech is here to stay.

If the console GPUs aren't good enough to do RT properly - a real possibility - then it will likely just continue to evolve on PC as cards get faster and faster. The gap between the consoles and PC in a few years could end up looking enormous if that happens.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don´t think it´s worth it, specially considering there are a few realistic shadow and illumination techniques on queue that are not as demanding as this:

It made a huge difference in the jungle scenes, that video seems to be missing it. Changed the whole look of the lighting as well with how it crept through the vegetation.

dsk1210

I honestly think some of you are going to be in for a bit of a rude awakening, it's great that the next gen consoles are going to be able to ray trace but it's not really going to be able to be used for global illumination in open world games and such as the power required will be to heavy.

I am looking forward to seeing what can be done with simpler games that free up power that can use ray tracing creatively.

Siri

Banned
Ray Tracing, in Control, cut my frame-rate in half. To say it’s a ‘demanding’ feature is an understatement. I doubt that ray tracing technology will be fully cooked or ‘ready’ for the next gen consoles.

That said, at max settings with ray tracing fully enabled, Control looks incredible. If you position the main character near a poster with glass over it the reflections in the glass are simply unprecedented. Also, strangely enough, the lighting looks much worse when ray tracing is disabled.

I use Control, as an example btw because it’s the only game, for me, in which ray tracing made a noticeable impact.

Denton

Like it or not, most graphical technological innovations in the last 20 years were pioneered by nVidia.
3DFX kicked off the revolution. Afterwards though...first HW T&L - nVidia. First programmable pixel shaders - nVidia. Now first raytracing hardware support - nVidia.
AMD had a revolutionary product with first DX9 card Radeon 9700, but ever since then they are just playing catch-up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So what? If it's true, does it matter to anyone?

Please buy an RTX card, not an AMD "response", even though I know it takes years and years to develop as a CEO of a graphics IPC maker, but I just want to throw borderline libel salt about a competing product I have zero hands on with, unless... our solution is tacked on as well so I am just projecting. - Jensen Huang, translated

Last edited:
Nvidia? Aren't those guys powering the less powerful/advanced console on the market after loosing xbox aka the most powerful/advanced console of its time? Is that so? And they say like what....

Ascend

RTX is not really that big of a success when the prior generation without it sold a lot better...

Obvious PR talk to try and get more people to jump on the bandwagon to fill Jensen's pockets.

Nvidia CEO "You'd be CRAAZYYYYY to buy a non RTX card"

also nVidia: "Please buy our non RTX cards."

All in all, consoles will define how Ray Tracing will work in the future, and in what capacity. For all we know Turing might be absolute rubbish at it.

nemiroff

Gold Member
He's right. And Nvidia deserves props for pushing RT into real tangible gaming applications. But unless they fix the insane GPU prices..

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
BTW I believe AMD is only adding Ray-tracing to RDNA due consoles asking for it.

- nVidia created the buzz
- Consoles asked AMD
- RDNA will receive Ray-tracing

Last edited:

Stuart360

Still think its a waste of resources. The only ray tracing thing that has impressed me a bit is that DF Minecraft levels they built, everything else i wouldnt even know it was using ray tracing if i wasnt told.

llien

Reminds me FreeSync story, chuckle.

Jensen Huang better be thankful because consoles will make raytracing viable whilst his turing cards could not...…….

It also means AMD will control the pace of RT adoption.

Anyhow, at this point it is an overhyped gimmick.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Nvidia may be disliked for their arrogance and other factors, but they bring the tech. Variable refresh rate was born out of their gsync and ray tracing is becoming a reality thanks to RTX. We should give credit where it's due.

llien

they bring the tech
Mixed with shit.
And that "let's mix in shit" brings us to "you fuckers better don't even try" point.

Variable refresh rate was born out of their gsyn
VRR as in GPU driving monitor's refresh rate was there in notebooks before NV found ways to create a chip they could ask $200 for.

Huang also called the Geforce RTX series a "home run"

Soltype

He's probably right, Nvidia got the industry really talking about raytracing.Their method might not be the best way to implement it, but they are at the forefront. People need to learn how to give credit where credit is due, you may not like the company but you can't take away their accolades and influence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom