• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang calls it "crazy" to buy a GPU without raytracing.

Ellery

Would be nice if RTX games ran a little bit better and I am allowed to say so because I played through them with my RTX 2080 which is a very expensive graphics card.
It is nice and you certainly miss RTX the moment you turn it off, but damn even running RTX at the lowest possible setting in Metro Exodus reduces your framerate (at times with enough light sources) to a number you dont want to play PC games at.
Sadly benchmarks of games like Metro Exodus don't perfectly reflect the impact of RTX because most reviewers don't use the most demanding RTX areas.

I bet the next generations are going to GREATLY increase RTX cores/performance, because even with the most insane RTX 2080 Ti Lightning Z for 1600$ it isn't even really useable at 4K right now unless you want to play with 25 fps

Would be nice if RTX games ran a little bit better and I am allowed to say so because I played through them with my RTX 2080 which is a very expensive graphics card.
It is nice and you certainly miss RTX the moment you turn it off, but damn even running RTX at the lowest possible setting in Metro Exodus reduces your framerate (at times with enough light sources) to a number you dont want to play PC games at.
Sadly benchmarks of games like Metro Exodus don't perfectly reflect the impact of RTX because most reviewers don't use the most demanding RTX areas.

I bet the next generations are going to GREATLY increase RTX cores/performance, because even with the most insane RTX 2080 Ti Lightning Z for 1600$ it isn't even really useable at 4K right now unless you want to play with 25 fps
The problem is we don't know how ray tracing is going to be handled when the next gen consoles come out. If they are capable of some form of it, it's possible RTX cores could be useless or nVidia would have their own version like PhysX or some shit.

That's because you don't know what you're talking about.
Or need to see the optometrist.
And it's fine, I guess, until you go around telling others there's no difference. Because that's what you were implying, of course.

When even Minecraft looks better than this, it was obviously not as good of a solution. Why is this the case?

The only significance I've seen so far is on reflective surfaces and glossy materials, in Metro Exodus's case the lights bounce off each surface more accurately, but it's pretty mindblowing since it's there on top of HBAO, TAA, and its beautiful texture work.

FStubbs

The problem is we don't know how ray tracing is going to be handled when the next gen consoles come out. If they are capable of some form of it, it's possible RTX cores could be useless or nVidia would have their own version like PhysX or some shit.

Would also be interesting when Nintendo's Switch successor comes into play - while it would be a mobile chip, would Nvidia attempt to have RT cores in it?

Pimpbaa

Is he forgetting about the 1660Ti? They released that card AFTER the RTX line. Now he is saying it would be crazy to buy it.

Yeah, that is true crazy. Releasing a card aimed at the mainstream and then proceed to call them crazy. And expecting ray tracing on their current cards to to be usable on games beyond 2 years is even more crazy (particularly the 2060).

Ellery

I think long term the RT cores or AMDs equivalent will work as hybrid cores that can do either and the GPU will know when to use them for what so that you are not limited by it.

I genuinely think/hope RayTracing is the future and not only a short lived gimmick. I also think that the next gen consoles will have dedicated RT hardware. Probably not much, but it will be enough to give developers a bit of freem and they can use some RayTracing to make the overall feel more natural.

Yeah, that is true crazy. Releasing a card aimed at the mainstream and then proceed to call them crazy. And expecting ray tracing on their current cards to to be usable on games beyond 2 years is even more crazy (particularly the 2060).
GTX 1660 Ti and 1650 Ti are lower midrange or low end. RTX 2060 is mainstream.

egocrata

Banned
I hope she is right. Metro Exodus is an incredible showcase for what RT can do. At spots, the game is mind blowing. Of course, I play on a 2070S at 1080p, so the framerate remains super smooth, but still.

I think buying gen 1 tech is crazy.
Bring out the next gen that is actually capable of running it.

Also 1300 for a gpu

Get
The
Fuck
Out
Aren't you the guy who doesn't care about paying more to get the best? Who called Ryzen 2 a wet fart and would keep going intel because it was 5% better despite costing 50% more ? What happened to that? :pie_thinking:

Kamina

Golden Boy
All this PR talk. :messenger_downcast_sweat:
Offer your overpriced cards for something more reasonable and people will jump in.

Kenpachii

I have sold 1080ti few months ago, so currently I dont want to play new games like Metro Exodus on my ancient 680 GTX but I have to say the difference is very big in comparison videos and that's just limited RT GI (one light bounce, and one source of RT GI)

I wanted to buy 1080ti again soon, but I will probably choose 2070S over 1080ti simply because of HW RT. RTX performance isnt perfect, but at least I will be able to experiment with these RTX features in 1080p.

Metro looks so dam ugly, jesus the objects and textures. Mud the game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
More like it's crazy to buy anything from NVIDIA now and if you already own 1080 / 1080Ti or two of those cards in SLI. GTFO Huang!

Last edited:
So... if the next-gen XBox & Playstation have raytracing and they're using custom AMD GPUs, how is this a problem? AMD GPUs with raytracing, right?

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm yet to see something that can be done with raytracing but not with current shaders technology in real-time using current average hardware for gaming... If anything, it's otherwise since there's not power yet to fully take advantage of it, I don't get this push for RT Nvidia started, tbh...

Heck, I've been using blender Eevee renderer (PBS renderer) for my work instead of Cycles (Raytracing) because of performance and because result is basically good enough for most stuff (unless I wanna go crazy as Hollywood which I wont BTW)

Pimpbaa

GTX 1660 Ti and 1650 Ti are lower midrange or low end. RTX 2060 is mainstream.

I don't consider cards in that price range for the mainstream at all. Lower midrage/low end or not, it doesn't matter because a 1660 Ti or lower is what the majority of consumers can afford to buy or willing to buy (I sure as hell wouldn't buy any 2060 variant based on canadian prices at the moment). That will change if prices go down of course.

I think he meant RTX as an obligatory thing to have otherwise the game would be unplayable.

Ironically atm RT make games unplayable.

Edit: Have to give cudos to nVidia’s marketing though. They made something unnecessary seem like it’s required. Even consoles now have to say they will support it otherwise they seem outdated.

Last edited:

Ascend

Ironically atm RT make games unplayable.

Edit: Have to give cudos to nVidia’s marketing though. They made something unnecessary seem like it’s required. Even consoles now have to say they will support it otherwise they seem outdated.
That's the way nVidia has mostly operated through the years. There are countless examples. PhysX and GameWorks are the most notable ones...
And they are also very good at making the nice features of the competition seem useless which ultimately literally makes them useless since no one adopts them, at least until they themselves have it also. DX10.1 comes to mind, along with tessellation and Async compute.

Last edited:

llien

During the company's Q2 FY2020 Financials webcast, Nvidia's CEO Jensen Huang has stated that it's "crazy" to purchase a new graphics card that lacks support for raytracing. Let alone that current cards will likely be way to slow to play it anyway. It is a shameless "why dont you buy our overpriced crap".

Here's the full quote; "At this point, it’s a foregone conclusion that if you’re going to buy a new graphics card, it’s going to last you two, three, four years, and to not have ray tracing is just crazy."
Their own PR guy admitted that it wont be until 2023 that RT might be required by an AAA game.

Oh, and in other news , NVDA sales down 18 percent yoy. Income down 50%.

Last edited:

Makariel

I guess RTX will really shine in racing games like Assetto Corsa...
Kunos said:
"If after our long list of priorities the level of optimization of the title, and the maturity of the technology, permits a full blown implementation of RTX, we will gladly explore the possibility, but as of now there is no reason to steal development resources and time for a very low frame rate implementation,"
Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/805550/discussions/0/1642038659011501294/

Or maybe not :)

matheusnienow

Neo Member
Not a single card currently in the market can handle Ray Tracing with a decent money to performance ratio. Crazy is what he is saying. You're better off saving the extra money you would be spending on the Ray Tracing support and use it to buy a Ray Tracing card when it is actually playable on a decent price.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Have a lot of game started using it? I don’t play a ton of PC games but have an RTX card. None of the games I have played recently use it (I think?).

When next gen is around the corner and competition is about to release Ray Tracing, you get nervous, you say stupid sh!t like buy my product without noticing.

Ascend

Generally, going from High to Ultra graphics settings is already giving you diminishing returns, and most of the time it's better to run certain settings at high rather than Ultra to improve the gameplay experience while barely noticing any difference in graphical detail.

Ray Tracing is exactly like that. It's like a hyper setting for specific graphical effects in your games, mainly lighting, shadows and ambient occlusion. Would you really base your decision on buying a graphics card that gives you the option to enable the hyper setting in a handful of games and kill your performance in the process?

xrnzaaas

Please spend hundreds of dollars on our video cards, pretty please. It's way too late for this approach, many people already discovered that the fps and new gfx card purchase sacrifices are not worth it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom