• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang calls it "crazy" to buy a GPU without raytracing.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During the company's Q2 FY2020 Financials webcast, Nvidia's CEO Jensen Huang has stated that it's "crazy" to purchase a new graphics card that lacks support for raytracing.

Here's the full quote; "At this point, it’s a foregone conclusion that if you’re going to buy a new graphics card, it’s going to last you two, three, four years, and to not have ray tracing is just crazy."

Ivellios

I played Metro Exodus with raytracing enabled and not once during my playthrough did I notice it.

I watched some videos of RTX on/off for this game recently and i think this is something you only notice if you keep turning it on and off all the time to spot the difference.

Only one scene really made a complete difference in the videos i watched, the rest was way too subtle.

Though with RTX coming to future consoles, i dont exactly disagree with Jensen.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'd be honest. After I tried DXR in BF V with my 2070s and got FRAME rate hick ups I disabled it, and the game really looked bad without it.

Ray tracing does really look beautiful, and I managed to run smooth with DXR low. BF V is the only game I've seen it in, and it was worth it.

It does tank the performance though.

I played Metro Exodus with raytracing enabled and not once during my playthrough did I notice it.
That's because you don't know what you're talking about.
Or need to see the optometrist.
And it's fine, I guess, until you go around telling others there's no difference. Because that's what you were implying, of course.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

pretty sure they sell the 1660ti which does not. and its selling better than the 2060tis

well its the only reasonable priced gpu for 300 bucks. So yea it will see a lot of sales as result.

I wouldn´t even buy a card now, next gen is almost here and the gpu (actual) requirements are gonna skyrocket.

Exactly raytracing on 2000 series is a dud anyway and every card currently is a stop gap for next generation. However if next generation is going to focus on 4k i can see any gpu 1080 or higher performance wise have long long legs.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
His comment might make sense in 10 years from now.

Imagine it to buying a new computer in 1999 and you wanted to play the latest games on it. A dedicated 3D card is more appealing than the previous CPU-only driven games.

Ray tracing can be a hell of a lot faster on GPU's but they still need more dedicated memory to make the switch completely worth it. Perhaps when 12GB ray tracing GPU's become standard, then yeah, it would be crazy not to own one.

Last edited:
Good that he's warning people against 10xx series cards, when 11xx series cards may or may not allow them to not experience real time ray tracing in a meaningful manner right now!!

I watched some videos of RTX on/off for this game recently and i think this is something you only notice if you keep turning it on and off all the time to spot the difference.

Only one scene really made a complete difference in the videos i watched, the rest was way too subtle.

Though with RTX coming to future consoles, i dont exactly disagree with Jensen.
Did you also see the scene wher you could not spot the difference except rt was running at half the fps 😂

Myths

Right now, it’s not necessary. When more games support RT (at which time there will likely be superior GPU models on the market) then you’d convince consumers outright.

First gen, first endeavor. Relax.

Apocryphon

I mean, at this point, unless you can find a really attractive deal, everybody should be holding out for Apmere. Nvidia need to bring the prices down though; the cost of the 2080ti is insane.

Leonidas

Imagine spending $350+ on a GPU in 2019 and then a console in 2020 does ray-tracing better.

Anyone spending $350+ on a GPU this year without hardware accelerated ray-tracing will either be behind consoles next year or be forced to upgrade in only a year. Navi 1st Gen in practice is planned obsolescence. Even Xbox Scarlet has hardware accelerated ray-tracing.

FireFly

Imagine spending $350+ on a GPU in 2019 and then a console in 2020 does ray-tracing better.

Anyone spending $350+ on a GPU this year without hardware accelerated ray-tracing will either be behind consoles next year or be forced to upgrade in only a year. Navi 1st Gen in practice is planned obsolescence. Even Xbox Scarlet has hardware accelerated ray-tracing.
Well, if you're running at 1440p then you most likely wouldn't enable RTX anyway on a 2070, due to the performance hit.

Life

Buy a Ray Tracing card today - one that'll not only cost you lots of money, but lots of FPS too. You'd be crazy not to!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's like buying a 4k tv.

How much content out there even supports native 4k? Not that much. Some cable channels, if you buy UHD movies, some recent gen gaming. 4k Netflix looks half crap.

The first 4k TVs probably came out 4-5 years ago. Just imagine the amount of content in those early years..... basically none.

Last edited:

jadefire66

Even if I had a RTX card I still wouldn't use ray tracing. Why in the world would I want to lose 30+ FPS just so the game can look better? I want my framerate as high as possible, ESPECIALLY if it's a first person shooter.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Even if I had a RTX card I still wouldn't use ray tracing. Why in the world would I want to lose 30+ FPS just so the game can look better? I want my framerate as high as possible, ESPECIALLY if it's a first person shooter.
But devs are going to push games will look better with improved lighting and shadows!

Closer

I think the ones that spend $1,000+ on a GPU doesn't want a GPU to last two, three, four years, as they want the latest and best.

Barakov

Gold Member
My GTX 1070 still does the job for 2560x1080 on ultra, I intend to milk it dry.

RT looks great but there's no point in buying a new card before the tech is fully implemented and integrated.
Definitely agree. Kinda weird he's saying this since someone else from Nvidia said that 2023 is when raytracing is going to hit its' stride. Not surprised since Nvidia's favorite color is green.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I think the ones that spend $1,000+ on a GPU doesn't want a GPU to last two, three, four years, as they want the latest and best.

Its funny, whenever a new top end card is announced from Nvidia, a forum which I frequent has a trusted members trading section which suddenly gets a lot busier as many of them sell off their top of the range cards they purchased just 6 -12mths ago.

If Nvidia announce the 2080Ti 'Super' as many seem to think is coming, there will be lots of 'so last year' 2080Ti's going up for sale because that extra 20% of performance just has to be theirs, regardless of cost. The 'buzz' of having the 'best' in their PC's, is simply too much to ignore.

He's not wrong, but for most people, buying a raytracing card now won't have immediately visible benefits and most people can't think more than 5 minutes ahead so they won't understand why they should buy one. Which is fine, that just means Nvidia can sell them another card in a few years when everything requires raytracing so I doubt Jensen is crying in his pillow at night every time a non-raytracing card is sold.

I'm still using my 1080 Ti, still waiting for Ampere in 2020, and still hoping that Ampere in 2020 will have enough raytracing performance for me to enjoy Cyberpunk 2077 in 4K when that game is released.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
It’s for sure the future, but I think most gamers will be ok buying non Ray tracing hardware for the next year or two so long as they understand they won’t get the absolute highest of the high image quality.

But after 2 years, nah, I think the new consoles will be pushing the feature hard, and AMD will leverage the solution they are using for consoles in the PC space. If you don’t have some sort of hardware accelerated raytracing system in 2 years, you might as well be playing your games on the consoles then.

And as for frame rates, the argument only goes so far. Some people would play at 640x480 to get 144fps, I can’t ever be one of those people, I like image quality too much.

Hudo

About as crazy as the vendor-lock-in you experience, when you start to even slightly touch nVidia's development tools, even if you utilize OpenCL. I really hope that Intel's stint into discrete GPUs will force nVidias hand to comply with some development standards more.

zeomax

How many games actually support it now? Like less than 10?

More months have passed since release than the amount of games that actually support it.
This is always the case with new technology. It takes time. See DirectX 12 for example. Released 2015 and today it is still only used in an few couple of games.

pawel86ck

Banned
I have sold 1080ti few months ago, so currently I dont want to play new games like Metro Exodus on my ancient 680 GTX but I have to say the difference is very big in comparison videos and that's just limited RT GI (one light bounce, and one source of RT GI)

I wanted to buy 1080ti again soon, but I will probably choose 2070S over 1080ti simply because of HW RT. RTX performance isnt perfect, but at least I will be able to experiment with these RTX features in 1080p.

Last edited:
Top Bottom