• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Ada Lovelace GPUs For GeForce RTX 40 Series To Bring The Same Generational Jump As Maxwell To Pascal

Armorian

Banned
I have a RTX 2060 OC
I think i can wait 1-2 years to upgrade.

This 6GB of vram could limit you from time to time... But thanks to XSS all PC versions of games should be playable with 6GB in the future, even on lower texture settings or something devs have to make low memory versions of their games.

amigastar

This 6GB of vram could limit you from time to time... But thanks to XSS all PC versions of games should be playable with 6GB in the future, even on lower texture settings or something devs have to make low memory versions of their games.
Yeah, the 6GB sucks a little but is possible to play games for another 1-2 years with that card. I game in1080p only.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

2060 with dlss = 1080ti

Nothing the 2060 doesn't play, 6gb of v-ram just lower textures or something and u will be fine.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

ce2URY4.gif

Glad I sat out the 3 series cards (not that anyone else could get them anyway). My rig is going to make love to lovelace.

At what cost.
AD102 is gonna be a leviathan of a GPU on an extraordinarily expensive node. N5 being more expensive per wafer than N7.

amigastar

In my experience a good 750W PSU should be enough for most graphic cards, I don't know about the RTX 3090 but otherwise it should be fine.
Edit: i've looked it up and for a RTX 3090 you need at least 800W PSU but other graphic cards are fine with 750W

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Why? i still have to buy the new psu so this interest me a lot.

What do you think is an ok wattage?!
750W is enough for any high-end rig today, but given that most rumors are pointing to even higher power consumption for next gen GPUs, I’d probably go with an 850w (if you’re interested in a very high end CPU/GPU).

To give some context to my comment, Nvidia recommends 750W (which used to be considered overkill) for 3070 Ti and higher, so lots of gamers have just upgraded. Wouldn’t be surprised if the 4090/7900XT recommend even higher.

GymWolf

750W is enough for any high-end rig today, but given that most rumors are pointing to even higher power consumption for next gen GPUs, I’d probably go with an 850w (if you’re interested in a very high end CPU/GPU).

To give some context to my comment, Nvidia recommends 750W (which used to be considered overkill) for 3070 Ti and higher, so lots of gamers have just upgraded. Wouldn’t be surprised if the 4090/7900XT recommend even higher.
Aren't those requisites usually pretty exagerated?! especially without overclocking the gpu.

But yeah if 850w is more future proof, why not.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Aren't those requisites usually pretty exagerated?! especially without overclocking the gpu.

Yeah you could probably get by with less. But I’d rather just go with the recommended spec. If you experience any issues with your system, the first question is gonna be “what PSU are you using? Oh, a 650W? Well Nvidia says you need at least 750W…..”

Anyway a quality PSU will last you a long time. The best ones from Corsair, Seasonic, etc come with 10 year warranties. So that is one component where going “future proof” makes sense IMO.

GymWolf

Yeah you could probably get by with less. But I’d rather just go with the recommended spec. If you experience any issues with your system, the first question is gonna be “what PSU are you using? Oh, a 650W? Well Nvidia says you need at least 750W…..”

Anyway a quality PSU will last you a long time. The best ones from Corsair, Seasonic, etc come with 10 year warranties. So that is one component where going “future proof” makes sense IMO.
Oh i know, my current xfx 550w is from 2016 i think, and still go strong.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No not really . A 3060 laptop with proper power delivery (115W) is faster than 1660 by 50% . Power delivery is the most important spec for mobile RTX30 , it can make or break the performance .

U1xm7lE.png

source

Thanks people spew random shit at times

Malakhov

Banned
Worth it or not it depends on how much you're willing to spend . The compromise is always there by substituting a desktop with a laptop , that the performance will be downgraded . My point is Mobile RTX3060 isn't that bad and with DLSS it's worth something but you should expect it to perform around desktop RTX2060 Super at best .

You will want a 3070 laptop at least for newer games in 1440p/2k comfortably .
I watched some reviews of the lenovo legion with the 115-130w gpu and 5800h cpu, it's very close in terms of fps from some 3070 laptops. I am thinking of getting this one. I found one under msrp

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Great. Will I be able to buy one at anything close to msrp?
MSRP will be adjusted accordingly probably. 4080 I'm guessing around $1000-1200.

Only reason 30 non-ti MSRP was reasonable was due to expected RDNA 2 competition, and we see how that turned out. If every card sells regardless, expect higher prices.

buenoblue

Yes your right in a way. But as new technology and resolutions become the standard I think it's fair to compare cards with those factors in mind.

For example a modern car can have simalar bhp than an 80s car, but what it does with that bhp and the efficiency at which it does it should be a consideration.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

yes they are. I recently bought a USP that shows the watts being consumed by everything plugged into it and my rtx 2080 and 125w i7-11700k unlocked pull in 430 watts maxed out. That's with 4 case fans and 2 more argb fans connected to the AIO. I've got a gen 4 m2 7 gbps ssd too.

Now it's literally double what the ps5 pulls in for what is effectively the same amount of work but the 3080 is only 75w more. That's 500w.

Even if the 4080 is 400w, it's going to be at 600w. Pretty sure gold 80 plus power supplies can handle any fluctuations above 750w anyway.

Besides, the next nvidia gpus souls be on 7nm or smaller tech instead of the 8nm they are using today. I think they will be around 300w.

GymWolf

yes they are. I recently bought a USP that shows the watts being consumed by everything plugged into it and my rtx 2080 and 125w i7-11700k unlocked pull in 430 watts maxed out. That's with 4 case fans and 2 more argb fans connected to the AIO. I've got a gen 4 m2 7 gbps ssd too.

Now it's literally double what the ps5 pulls in for what is effectively the same amount of work but the 3080 is only 75w more. That's 500w.

Even if the 4080 is 400w, it's going to be at 600w. Pretty sure gold 80 plus power supplies can handle any fluctuations above 750w anyway.

Besides, the next nvidia gpus souls be on 7nm or smaller tech instead of the 8nm they are using today. I think they will be around 300w.
Well, you usually buy an usp that last 8-10 years and at least 2 complete upgrade (cpu, gpu and everything in between), so you have to calculate the consume for a 5000 or even 6000 series.

I'm not gonna change my next psu before series 7000 comes out.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
More cards will be on the way soon, to go out of stock straight away.

No way Nvidia will allow Intel to have the media spot light in early 2022. I expect more TI's or Super variants.

4080 Will be beast for the 10 people who get it.

Hunnybun

IF I could get hold of one, and with Sony looking increasingly likely to bring everything to PC fairly quickly, and with Game Pass becoming better and better, I might finally get another PC and sell the PS5 when these come out.

I'd be set for the generation then at 4k60, and quality RT. Not to mention DLSS.

Dream-Knife

Banned
So 2023 my 3090 will be dog shit? Nice!
Everything becomes outdated as tech moves on.

If you have to have the latest and greatest regardless of game to play, you have a consumerist addiction. Keep your 3090 until there's a game you want to play that you can't. 3090 should be good for quite a number of years with that amount of VRAM.

Top Bottom