• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia’s GeForce Now is losing all Activision Blizzard games, a bad sign for cloud gaming

Neofire

I don't blame Blizzard, getting pennies for their AAA quality games should be a crime. Getting more to play is all and well but the salaries have to be paid, those budgets for those games aren't paid for with pennies.

Dacon

Banned
I was in the beta for about 2 years, and let me tell you, this shit happened all the time.

Games dropping in and out of the service was pretty common, enough to where people started finding exploits to play whatever they wanted/get desktop access to do so.

The service itself was ok, was kinda tempermental depending on when you decided to play, but honestly I don't think it's worth it.

I don't blame Blizzard, getting pennies for their AAA quality games should be a crime. Getting more to play is all and well but the salaries have to be paid, those budgets for those games aren't paid for with pennies.

What? No one is losing money on this, you still have to own Blizzard's games/pay their sub fees to use them with the service.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member

Dude, you already have to own their games in order to play them trough Geforce Now. Blizzard doesn't even release their games on Steam or other third party clients, meaning they even get 100% of the revenue. Does it matter if I play the game on my computer, at a friends house, or on a virtual computer (Geforce Now)?

Gamezone

Gold Member
I was in the beta for about 2 years, and let me tell you, this shit happened all the time.

Games dropping in and out of the service was pretty common, enough to where people started finding exploits to play whatever they wanted/get desktop access to do so.

The service itself was ok, was kinda tempermental depending on when you decided to play, but honestly I don't think it's worth it.

What? No one is losing money on this, you still have to own Blizzard's games/pay their sub fees to use them with the service.

I think Activision/Blizzard is getting too much attention. Fact is that many big publishers pulled out once Geforce Now was released to the public.

Neofire

Dude, you already have to own their games in order to play them trough Geforce Now. Blizzard doesn't even release their games on Steam or other third party clients, meaning they even get 100% of the revenue. Does it matter if I play the game on my computer, at a friends house, or on a virtual computer (Geforce Now)?
So Nvidia isn't getting absolutely nothing for streaming other companies IPs through their service, which isn't free if I'm correct. I am wrong I will take back what I said.

But even still it's Blizzards right to pull their games off any platform they do choose and with Xcloud and other streaming services on PC why do people care?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Get ready for your Paid Services Fragmentation. One of the many reasons why I will always stick to traditional native gaming.

AndroidFragmentationTNW.gif

Gamezone

Gold Member
So Nvidia isn't getting absolutely nothing for streaming other companies IPs through their service, which isn't free if I'm correct. I am wrong I will take back what I said.

But even still it's Blizzards right to pull their games off any platform they do choose and with Xcloud and other streaming services on PC why do people care?

Is xCloud going to provide us access to our Steam library?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

nVidia is spending loads of money hosting gaming quality hardware in the cloud, that could potentially sell copies of games as it provides a cheap / free platform for people.

It's really dumb of a pub to pull their games from a service like this.

I can rent a VM in Azure/AWS right now and install all kinds of software I pay for on those machines and no company gives a shit, because they aren't idiots... a sale is a sale.. why would you care if I play your game on my home PC vs a VM in the cloud?

And Blizzard didn't make my PC either... sooo.. companies are already making money off of running Blizzard's software on their hardware... it's called.. mutually beneficial capitalism.

But sure.. companies have the right to be dumb and make it harder for me to enjoy their products at no cost to them. Neato lol

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
nVidia is spending loads of money hosting gaming quality hardware in the cloud, that could potentially sell copies of games as it provides a cheap / free platform for people.

It's really dumb of a pub to pull their games from a service like this.

I can rent a VM in Azure/AWS right now and install all kinds of software I pay for on those machines and no company gives a shit, because they aren't idiots... a sale is a sale.. why would you care if I play your game on my home PC vs a VM in the cloud?

And Blizzard didn't make my PC either... sooo.. companies are already making money off of running Blizzard's software on their hardware... it's called.. mutually beneficial capitalism.

But sure.. companies have the right to be dumb and make it harder for me to enjoy their products at no cost to them. Neato lol

Obviously, Blizzard would like to control their software and that beats losing a few copies that would be sold to them. Its not necessarily dumb, I mean if they have their own service coming out it actually makes sense. (I'm not saying cloud gaming makes sense, just their take could make sense)

My guess is companies that make higher priced software will care and only offer their products as a stream or application layer in the future.

So instead of installing Photoshop, you just open a link to an application layer via a cloud service.

The end goal is take 100% control away from the end user.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It always always comes back to the licensing deals. Same thing happened to all the music streaming services and Netflix, Hulu, etc

Heck, we have games getting patched or pulled or prevented from being on the market just because the licensing for the music expired.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Obviously, Blizzard would like to control their software and that beats losing a few copies that would be sold to them. Its not necessarily dumb, I mean if they have their own service coming out it actually makes sense. (I'm not saying cloud gaming makes sense, just their take could make sense)

Well I think a pub creating their own cloud gaming service is idiotic; these are gonna be huge loss leaders and take a long time to figure out consumer demand even exists. Pulling your software now just makes no sense to me.

My guess is companies that make higher priced software will care and only offer their products as a stream or application layer in the future.

Which is a completely separate topic; if you allow your software to be downloaded and installed on a machine, caring whether it's a VM in the cloud, a local VM or a native install is dumb.

I can see a good reason why they'd block something like WoW; users will be sharing IP addresses and bans are difficult to not be wonky. But for any other purpose I just think it's dumb.

Also if you think these companies are going to be willing to spend money to license your games on their services or consumers will be willing to pay extra I think they are insane.. there is no way nVidia isnt' dumping losses into GeForce Now at this point... they aren't going to be paying for the right to stream games. Consumers aren't going to pay per game en masse either. The entire concept of streaming devalues products in consumer's minds and the expense of running a game streaming service is massive. Everything about the business is a catch 22 to me.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
If a buy a product on a service(spotify or stream) what reason would (artist/publisher) care what I used their product on(pc, phone, tablet, tv, alex speaker)?

DanielsM

Banned
Well I think a pub creating their own cloud gaming service is idiotic; these are gonna be huge loss leaders and take a long time to figure out consumer demand even exists. Pulling your software now just makes no sense to me.

I think cloud gaming is pretty idiotic generally speaking but if I ignore that, this really isn't a surprise - a good portion of us predicted this is what would happen.

Hm, I would say you are looking at it wrong, let's say there is a percent chance there is some traction in cloud gaming, the large publisher have no incentive to create a Steam v2.0. Why give X company the chance of building a service in which you already have services or have plans too? I would say you'll have the large publishers all have their own services just like they have their own storefront, subscriptions and services.... they'll just expand there.

Google, Amazon, Sony, Microsoft, Nvidia, etc. don't control the board, the large publisher content providers do. They'll have to pay huge money for exclusive content. The more likely option, large publishers continue to roll out their own service, they contract with Google, Amazon, Microsoft, etc. for basic back-end support. Meaning the application layer is designed, created and maintained by the large publisher but than uses cloud services on the back end.

The large publishers don't really need the cloud service providers to provide a Steamv2.0.... although they may partner for more cloud services for back end support, if needed.

No large publisher wants a Steam v2.0, you kill it at birth or in the womb, generally speaking.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
If Sony or Microsoft says its streams or it doesn't come onto the platform, what choice would pubs really have? The streaming is great in addition to a console or pc but its not yet a substitute for competitive mp games. Steam could do the same thing but with less success. What leverage does Nvidia have tho? Maybe if the service gets so big that is has marketshare.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I guess the next step is companies not letting you put your legally purchased music/movie/setup/whatever files on your cloud drive/one drive/etc. because they can dictate in EULA that's a cloud service they don't wish to allow and google/ms/whoever needs broadcast/distribution rights per file to let you access your own stuff.

And corporate shills will be perfectly okay with it because hey it's their IP/licensed content so they should be able to dictate how and where you access it, beyond your account rights, by delving into your exact relationship with the machine it's physically stored on and how you choose to access it being according to their wishes.

Last edited:

Neofire

Is xCloud going to provide us access to our Steam library?
It's still in beta so I couldn't tell ya, I do not have any love for cloud gaming to be frank, I just don't see why people are up in arms that Blizzard wants to pull the games from a service not their own.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Code:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-14/nvidia-blames-misunderstanding-for-activision-faux-pas

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
We've spent months arguing about the technical hurdles to game streaming when all along the biggest barrier to adoption is going to be balkanization.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
We've spent months arguing about the technical hurdles to game streaming when all along the biggest barrier to adoption is going to be balkanization.
Not true. As there simply isn't enough space for all of them to be around.
What a weird comparison you just made..

We can see it clearly with steam as companies keep crawling back after figuring out they are actually not earning more but less.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Not true. As there simply isn't enough space for all of them to be around.
What a weird comparison you just made..

We can see it clearly with steam as companies keep crawling back after figuring out they are actually not earning more but less.

That process doesn't happen in the blink of an eye which means it is exactly what I said it was, "a barrier to adoption". I didn't say the barrier is insurmountable.

How many Activision-Blizzard games can you buy on Steam today?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
That process doesn't happen in the blink of an eye which means it is exactly what I said it was, "a barrier to adoption". I didn't say the barrier is insurmountable.

How many Activision-Blizzard games can you buy on Steam today?
well done you named the biggest one.
you got me :pie_roffles:

have fun arguing with yourself

mckmas8808

Banned
You run the game. You bought the game on Steam or wherever, you run the game within your rights to install it and run it on any PC you want, be it your own, a friend's, a family member's, a PC you rented, an internet cafe (hey if you're not scared of your info getting stolen, whatever, it's on you), or any PC you have access to with whatever means the seller is never to be concerned with. You didn't buy it for a specific PC, you bought it for a specific Steam or Blizzard or other account. What's with all the corporate shilling attempting to justify it? Not that Nvidia's some poor underdog, but yeah.

This isn't true at all.

mckmas8808

Banned

Animagic

Banned
All the large publishers have announced some type of plans.

They haven't announced individual products yet, imagine you will see all the large pubs rolling out their own services, I think they have all basically said they are.

I have no idea why, but....

Everyone is going to want their cut.
It’s the video game equivalent of prime video but you have to subscribe to additional add on studio/branded channels (with fees) to watch anything worthwhile, defeating the whole point of subscribing to amazon video.

Every large publisher will have their own streaming service and I will enjoy seeing them all fail.

Bryank75

Banned
It’s the video game equivalent of prime video but you have to subscribe to additional add on studio/branded channels (with fees) to watch anything worthwhile, defeating the whole point of subscribing to amazon video.

Every large publisher will have their own streaming service and I will enjoy seeing them all fail.
Yeah, they all want to go direct to the consumer and offer a service instead of a product...it's really shit. Best thing we can all do is stick with consoles and PC and buy digital and physical games and games without DRM on PC.....

Show them we have no interest.

Top Bottom