• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Numerous Tech and Gaming Companies Named And Shamed As Benefiting From The Use Of Chinese Forced Labour Camps

DESTROYA

MOD EDIT: Title changed to better fit the reality of the information.

Along with 83 other companies, including Sony and Microsoft

china-labour-camps.original.jpg

© BBC
A new report by the US State Department-funded Australian Strategic Policy Institute has discovered that at least 83 companies are directly or indirectly linked to Chinese forced labour camps when it comes to the creation of their products – and Nintendo is one of the firms named, alongside Sony and Microsoft.
The Chinese camps are where Uyghur – a Turkic minority ethnic group – and other ethnic minorities are forced to work under unethical conditions, as well as being subjected to intimidation and threats, constant surveillance, a ban on religious practices, political indoctrination and excessive working hours. Their freedom of movement is also restricted and there are reports that threats are routinely made against family members if workers do not comply willingly.
According to the report – which is supported by similar investigations, including one by the BBC – these minorities have been transferred in huge numbers by the Chinese government from the far west region of Xinjiang to factories across the country. It estimates that more than 80,000 Uyghurs were transferred from Xinjiang to the factories between 2017 and 2019 alone, with some being sent directly from detention camps. The BBC report suggests that China is building massive camps for adults, while children as young as three are placed in equally huge camps nearby where they are told they can only speak Chinese.
© ASPI
The report claims that it "exposes a new phase in China’s social re-engineering campaign targeting minority citizens, revealing new evidence that some factories across China are using forced Uyghur labour under a state-sponsored labour transfer scheme that is tainting the global supply chain." While Nintendo is obviously not directly connecting with these camps, it is reportedly using parts sourced by these camps for the production of its video game hardware. The report calls for all of the companies named to assess their supply chain and take positive action.
For its part, the Chinese government is claiming that the report is inaccurate and that these camps are, in reality, "vocational education facilities" that help combat terrorism in the Xinjiang region and "ensure its smooth economic transition."
[via aspi.org.au]

Thats pretty messed up if true, what do you guys think? Does it make you look at Sony, MicroSoft,Nintendo and all these other high profile Tech giants differently ?

Last edited:

DESTROYA

I like how Sony and Microsoft also did this, but the title only mentions Nintendo.

The way we (pretty much the entire free world) take advantage of how China mistreats their citizens is pretty disgusting.
The article was from NintendoLife so yeah they would be named , I couldn’t fit all the companies accused in the title but did mention them in the first sentence.

Scource:

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Why you have to single out Nintendo when Sony and Microsoft and MOST tech companies are on that list?

Last edited by a moderator:

DESTROYA

Why you have to single out Nintendo when Sony and Microsoft and MOST tech companies are on that list?

What a way to twist a thread.
I did mention them and couldn’t fit MS and Sony in the thread title. Just look at the image they are mentioned too.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
I did mention them and couldn’t fit MS and Sony in the thread title. Just look at the image they are mentioned too.

"Nintendo/MS/Sony Named And Shamed As Benefiting From The Use Of Chinese Forced Labour Camps"

It does fit for me, and still you could have deleted the "Named And" part

"Nintendo/MS/Sony Shamed As Benefiting From The Use Of Chinese Forced Labour

EDIT: the title is changed now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Your entire post is framed around specifically Nintendo. You clearly had a bias here, mate. Just look at your final few words. You specifically call out Nintendo and not Microsoft, Sony, Oculus, Google, etc. Maybe you should edit your post now that the mods gave you a title that isn't blatant console wars bait?

Banned
PC gaming for me then ( did you guys know any PC parts manufacturer that use fair trade parts for their materials?)

I know I can't afford a fair trade smartphone etc now, but I'm working toward my ideal of morality, in this case I won't support the companies that indirectly supports things like this

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Following your way of thinking You also dont have morality because you buy those products.
I'll admit every day I don't have morality
I work in business, and in IT
I openly admit I'm a pirate of software and other media

It's pretty well known to us folks that companies abuse the fuck out of their laborers
If you think crunch times in game development ONLY happens there, you're nuts
Also part of one of the reasons I pirate the shit out of everything I can, honestly.

Take your moralistic pride else where; I really don't care what you think, so, just wasted effort on your part

DESTROYA

Thanks mods fixing the title, my intention was not to put all the attention towards Nintendo but it’s where I got the source material from.
83 companies are accused of using these along with Sony and Microsoft.
Your entire post is framed around specifically Nintendo. You clearly had a bias here, mate. Just look at your final few words. You specifically call out Nintendo and not Microsoft, Sony, Oculus, Google, etc. Maybe you should edit your post now that the mods gave you a title that isn't blatant console wars bait?
Your 100% wrong bro, I could see it now and could of framed it better but had absolutely no bias, think what you want.

GHG

Gold Member
PC gaming for me then ( did you guys know any PC parts manufacturer that use fair trade parts for their materials?)

I know I can't afford a fair trade smartphone etc now, but I'm working toward my ideal of morality, in this case I won't support the companies that indirectly supports things like this

Foxconn are implicated. There's no escaping this other than by going full caveman.

lukilladog

You can also try second hand market, at least these companies wont get money directly from you.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Thanks mods fixing the title, my intention was not to put all the attention towards Nintendo but it’s where I got the source material from.
83 companies are accused of using these along with Sony and Microsoft.

Your 100% wrong bro, I could see it now and could of framed it better but had absolutely no bias, think what you want.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt, but you definitely should fix up your post for the reasons I stated.

Anyways, back on topic:

I can't really blame any of these companies. Companies need to make money and if they can find cheap, decent labour then they will go for it. What needs to be done is more push back against China in general for even allowing these labour camps to exist.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Always. I wonder if Kaep is kneeling for the abused in China while cashing his Nike checks off the backs of BS false altruism movements?
Didn't even think of that, but quite possible. :pie_thinking:

People want $399 consoles, right?
Some people want to be made Righteous by their consumer choices.

It's the new religion. Buy free trade / sustainably-grown to reach heaven, only $49.99.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
This makes my stomach turn..

But, what the hell are we supposed to do? Boycott all of those companies? And even if we did, it'd only be a vocal minority. They're not gonna change their businesses so easily. I doubt it.

Someone needs to come up with a efficient solution. I'd totally jump on board. This is awful.

Vawn

Banned
The article was from NintendoLife so yeah they would be named , I couldn’t fit all the companies accused in the title but did mention them in the first sentence.

Scource:

No one expected you to mention all 83, but on this site if all of the big 3 are doing something, it seems a bit click-baity to only mention one of them in a thread title.

Nero_PR

Banned
No one expected you to mention all 83, but on this site if all of the big 3 are doing something, it seems a bit click-baity to only mention one of them in a thread title.
You are making a bigger fuss out of it than it needs. OP already got the title corrected by the mods and apologized in numerous circumstances. Now it is just you who is living in the past.

Sure these companies are partly to blame but the biggest one to blame is China.

That's not how it works. If a country doesn't work voluntarily, they'll be forced to do so. It's called neoliberalism, the recent incarnation of capitalism, that's turning the whole world into a junkyard.

johntown

Banned
That's not how it works. If a country doesn't work voluntarily, they'll be forced to do so. It's called neoliberalism, the recent incarnation of capitalism, that's turning the whole world into a junkyard.
Sorry I'm not watching a 30 minute video. Are you really saying China is not to blame in this at all?

I am not defending US companies who take advantage of this and I am also not jumping on the down with capitalism wagon either, I am against "forced" labor and child labor not any county where working conditions may not be ideal.

hunthunt

Banned

Those videos should be taught in every school.

I love how everytime my shittyass broken country is shown as a model of neoliberalism, and as we see right now, how its a philosophical and political system condemned to destruction.

Sorry I'm not watching a 30 minute video. Are you really saying China is not to blame in this at all?

I'd highly recommend watching the video if you want to understand why these huge companies have completely free rein (and why a lot of people are in a miserable situation). Government intervention is forbidden in this economic structure. If a country doesn't cooperate you'll get situations like what happened since Chile in the 1970s: military interventions, coup d'etats, etc. Even if China would ban these practices, they would be forced to continue since the global market is dependent on them. If a government gets overthrown new people, schooled in neoliberal economics would be installed to let the global market do as it pleases, something that happened time and time again.

The market should be free is the motto. Human beings and the planet be damned.

Last edited:

LordKasual

Banned
This is the end result of every company that gets big enough to even do this, basically.

Capitalism is all about maximizing profit margins, and nothing does that quite like immorally cheap labor.

It literally does not matter which company you're talking about. If they are trying to become massive, this is the sort of thing that's inevitably going to be on their table.

So is next gen banned now on resetera? haha

Rofl

Last edited:
Top Bottom