• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sept. 2022: PS5 No. 1 units; PS5 No. 1 revenue; FIFA No. 1; NBA2k3 No. 3; Splatoon No. 4; LoUP1 No. 5

EDMIX

A fool and his money…

Part 1 is one of my favorite games ever and I’ll buy that remake for $20.

lol I'll try to check it out on black friday or some time next year. I didn't have a PS5 at the time to even buy it day 1 so...

Funny, cause it’s impossible to get one online in US, I had to get my Amazon invitation to be able to buy it.

I hope that changes soon.

Well you can, but you'd have to go thru the Sony direct route, I was able to snag a COD MW2 bundle and should be here on the 28th

Its out of stock now, but I remember telling people to just get the COD MW2 bundle and sell the copy of COD lol It was literally up for weeks in stock. So ending of September I recall it being up and snagging a pre-order of it, its not out of stock, so maybe 3 weeks or so. So I suggest folks jump on a bundle when its on the Sony direct site, I tried the whole Amazon invitation thing literally since 2020 and had no luck

K' Dash

lol I'll try to check it out on black friday or some time next year. I didn't have a PS5 at the time to even buy it day 1 so...

Well you can, but you'd have to go thru the Sony direct route, I was able to snag a COD MW2 bundle and should be here on the 28th

Its out of stock now, but I remember telling people to just get the COD MW2 bundle and sell the copy of COD lol It was literally up for weeks in stock. So ending of September I recall it being up and snagging a pre-order of it, its not out of stock, so maybe 3 weeks or so. So I suggest folks jump on a bundle when its on the Sony direct site, I tried the whole Amazon invitation thing literally since 2020 and had no luck
I couldn’t get one from Sony cause I’m not from US and they didn’t take my card. I signed up for an invitation on Amazon and luckily they gave me one a couple days ago, I’m going to NYC in a couple days so it worked out really well for me.

Still, not being able to just go to a store and buy one sucks.

EDMIX

I couldn’t get one from Sony cause I’m not from US and they didn’t take my card. I signed up for an invitation on Amazon and luckily they gave me one a couple days ago, I’m going to NYC in a couple days so it worked out really well for me.

Still, not being able to just go to a store and buy one sucks.
respeck, oh I remember, you where coming down here for holiday from Canada and was trying to snag one from a store.

I recalls

I'm happy to hear it worked out. My PSN is...well EDMIX lol

Last edited:

K' Dash

respeck, oh I remember, you where coming down here for holiday from Canada and was trying to snag one from a store.

I recalls

I'm happy to hear it worked out. My PSN is...well EDMIX lol

yeah!, I’m coming with my wife for my bday, I’m from Costa Rica though.

Thanks man, I’ll add you.

Last edited:

EDMIX

yeah!, I’m coming with my wife for my bday, Im from Costa Rica tho.

Thank man, I’ll add you.
Apologies

Well you see, I was half way there lol I knew it started with a C and I don't know why my mind went to Canada and likely thinking of tourist from Canada to NY

FriulHado

I don't think is about one vs the other. People want to play games they find interesting, you can only play horizon, gt7, sifu, tray etc on ps(not counting pc obviously) so yeah you got no choice. You to cough that money
I don’t want start console war, I’m truly surprised. I don’t pretend Xbox first and ps5 last this generation but I see good games on gamepass (and often new and exclusive on the service) so the good gaming is possible.
For a GT7 there is Forza Horizon 5, Sifu, Stray…good indie games but there are a tons of very good AA on gamepass too.
The only Xbox’s lack is the master genre for Sony: The third person fucking cinematographic adventure. (Horizon Forbidden west).
Is this the problem? Gamers want only third person adventure games with a cinematic plot?

SLB1904

Banned
I don’t want start console war, I’m truly surprised. I don’t pretend Xbox first and ps5 last this generation but I see good games on gamepass (and often new and exclusive on the service) so the good gaming is possible.
For a GT7 there is Forza Horizon 5, Sifu, Stray…good indie games but there are a tons of very good AA on gamepass too.
The only Xbox’s lack is the master genre for Sony: The third person fucking cinematographic adventure. (Horizon Forbidden west).
Is this the problem? Gamers want only third person adventure games with a cinematic plot?
Each title is unique. You can't replace forza with gt because they aren't the same. Stray is also Stray and sifu is sifu. Each game is unique. You can't replace them and vice versa. Also like someone said you don't need xbox for gamepass. There are loads of pc gamers with gamepass (I'm one of them)
That's why exclusives are important to bump hardware sales

Topher

Gold Member
Why is Xbox third? Supply constrain?
I don’t understand this…do people prefer pay 70/80 dollars at games instead have a lot of fun and choice with gamepass?

If people don't see that $70 game they want to play on Game Pass then they are probably not going to see the "fun and choice" that you do.

Xbox's "lack" is consistency, but some "fucking cinematographic adventure" games would certainly help which is probably why Microsoft has invested so heavily in studios known for creating single player games. Xbox has the rep of Halo, Gears, and Forza and only Forza is really delivering on a consistent basis. The "xbox has no games" rep isn't fair, imo, but if that is what the average gaming consumer thinks then that is a big problem. So yeah, I wouldn't be so dismissive of those cinematographic adventures especially in such a barren year like 2022 has turned out to be for Xbox.

FriulHado

Xbox's "lack" is consistency, but some "fucking cinematographic adventure" games would certainly help which is probably why Microsoft has invested so heavily in studios known for creating single player games. Xbox has the rep of Halo, Gears, and Forza and only Forza is really delivering on a consistent basis. The "xbox has no games" rep isn't fair, imo, but if that is what the average gaming consumer thinks then that is a big problem. So yeah, I wouldn't be so dismissive of those cinematographic adventures especially in such a barren year like 2022 has turned out to be for Xbox.
It’s sad for me, I think Xbox deserves more success. Immortality, As Dusk Fals, Scorn and more are great single player game but their fault is not be big AAA full of marketing.
Let’s see next year if the release of new first party games can revive the brand.

Xbox has the rep of Halo, Gears, and Forza and only Forza is really delivering on a consistent basis.

And for all intents and purposes, Forza is "just" a racing game. Here in America simulation racers and non character-based arcade racers aren't necessarily huge. NFS might be an exception but those games tap into a very specific car culture that resonates with youth who also happen to play games. People overestimate Gran Turismo's popularity in NA all the time; IIRC it's Europe that accounts for the majority of any given installment's sales, car culture outside of street racing & drag racing just seems much more popular over there.

Also it's true Xbox does have some good games (1P or exclusives-wise); I think the problem is virtually none of them have any big cultural cache with gamers and the mainstream. None of them have easily identifiable characters known for quality like Mario or Zelda, or big narrative epics that feel like Hollywood blockbuster events like GOW or Spiderman. They also lack IP with any large amount of cultural nostalgia.

The only IP they currently own that maybe fits some of these criteria is Minecraft; however that brand is not associated with Microsoft at all. It's seen by the masses as its own thing and I bet the majority of its players wouldn't even know who owns the franchise, let alone guess it's Microsoft. I think Microsoft have also failed at retaining IP that could have given them recognizable characters with cultural cache since the Ori IP is basically dead and Cuphead isn't owned by them (nor did they lock it down to their brand; vast majority of its fans are from PC and Switch).

That's wildly different from say Kena which I think is becoming a recognizable IP/character of their own with cache, and Sony are strengthening ties of that character/IP with the PlayStation brand among gamers & others. Something Microsoft could have done with some new IP last gen but completely failed to accomplish (IMO due to poor leadership and management, and quite a few of those folks are still there in the same positions :/).

Top Bottom