• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sept. 2022: PS5 No. 1 units; PS5 No. 1 revenue; FIFA No. 1; NBA2k3 No. 3; Splatoon No. 4; LoUP1 No. 5

EDMIX

Its also worth noting that Nintendo doesn't need the DS audience to reach DS numbers. They can reach it by generating new fans, and we can see that they are doing that.

Getting Switch to 150 million will not be easy, but it certainly looks possible.

ehhh doubtful.

I think the only way you see that, is if they delay putting out another portable for some time. Lets say by the time PS6 or SeriesBubbleGumCrisisX180overZTheReturn comes out, they then put out Switch 2 or something, that is the only way I see it moving 150. By the time they do a Switch 2, I believe the audience will move on. If that is being planned within the next 2 years, I don't see it doing 150. It can be done, but I feel only if a generation is skipped, but a conversation for another day.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I am talking about Mario Kart doing better during this year alone, not total. This is GT7's release year after all.

You are not wrong with your first points, but it's still not expected. I am just making an observation.
Did you really just compare Mario Kart to GT7?
Dallas Cowboys Football GIF by ScooterMagruder

Ronin_7

Banned
They can be real and still just one of two main shipping methods. Remember that airfreight became a bigger thing last holiday period.

Sony will definitely increase the average number of unit sold by at least 100%. 200% is a really a minimum.

On your comment, if they didn't go for sale, are they just in warehouses waiting for the holiday period? I can see that for September units but not so much for July and August. Or I am missing something else?
I can't talk much... I don't actually work at retail but I've contacts at One of biggest EU chains and they have available Ps5s but aren't selling 💀

My educated guess, is God of War or MW2 bundles sitting there as Sony might have been Stock piling...

We'll know for sure in late January, early February.

Ozzie666

I can't talk much... I don't actually work at retail but I've contacts at One of biggest EU chains and they have available Ps5s but aren't selling 💀

My educated guess, is God of War or MW2 bundles sitting there as Sony might have been Stock piling...

Amazon AU has had PS5 in stick for a few weeks now, Horizon Bundles. It would not surprise me if those bundles suddenly changed to GoW.

jm89

Might be too early for retailers to have gow bundles. I'd imagine most are holding on to MW2 bundles until tomorrow when they open for pre-orders.

Similar thing happened with FIFA 23 bundles, week before was a bit quiet and Monday the week of release retailers opened the floodgates.

Last edited:

Woopah

ehhh doubtful.

I think the only way you see that, is if they delay putting out another portable for some time. Lets say by the time PS6 or SeriesBubbleGumCrisisX180overZTheReturn comes out, they then put out Switch 2 or something, that is the only way I see it moving 150. By the time they do a Switch 2, I believe the audience will move on. If that is being planned within the next 2 years, I don't see it doing 150. It can be done, but I feel only if a generation is skipped, but a conversation for another day.
Switch will be around 127 million by the end of March. Should be less than 2 years to 150 after that, and the next generation of PlayStation and Xbox consoles are way more than 2.5 years away.

Fully after that it all depends on the Switch 2 launch and how it is handled.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
well I mean core IP, as in the franchise that make them the most money have been put on PC.
The thing is - IP crossing boundaries isn't anything new - even for Nintendo, they were willing to lend Mario to Holywood 3 decades ago.
And to use more recent decade - Sony had mobile versions of a bunch of their big IPs as well - but that's what I was alluding to earlier - it's the 'playing it safe' approach to avoid risk to their core products.
You can argue AC Pocket is its own thing to cater to mobile market - but the bigger reason is that console versions is something Nintendo still protects as its their core business (I've been on the inside of these exact conversations with multiple big publishers in the past - and it was always the same rationale).

I don't think we'll see console counterparts for some time not based on tech, but based on market difference.
While there is some logic in that (markets are different, so we build different games) the last 5-7 years have proven this to be false, or at least not of any decisive importance.
Starting with PubG and Fortnite - both runaway success on other devices and then both being among the top mobile games as well - without creating IP spinoffs, and on the back of design that was clearly not optimized for mobile at all. And most recently - basically the biggest/fastest growing GaaS of all time (to date), which *launched* across all platforms in the same form, and managed to make Fortnite look small in just a year on the market - Genshin Impact. And lest we not forget that it's mechanically (not just visually) a clone of BoTW, so very much not mobile optimized game either.

It might not work for all their IPs - but some of Nintendo games are already very mobile audience friendly (AC most notably, and we have hard-proof that even something like BoTW works really well on mobile now) and practically beg for having a single iteration across all platforms. But I doubt we'll see it anytime soon, for reasons mentioned above.

Last edited:

yurinka

In Europe
GT sells more in EU like many other big PS games, but the series has great sales worldwide specially compared to the Kirby sales:

Bragr

Banned
A casual family arcade racer vs a sim racer is not a perfect measuring stick.

Get your head right.
You need to explain what you are talking about, Gran Turismo is a massive franchise with expected numbers based on old entries.

Mario Kart is an old game that is selling well with a clear baseline year-on-year, we know the numbers it has sold every year and can measure numbers against it.

Being an arcade, sim, kart whatever the fuck racer means nothing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You need to explain what you are talking about, Gran Turismo is a massive franchise with expected numbers based on old entries.

Mario Kart is an old game that is selling well with a clear baseline year-on-year, we know the numbers it has sold every year and can measure numbers against it.

Mario Kart is also a massive franchise that has always sold assloads.

They’re not after the same markets just because they go vroom vroom.

Last edited:

vivftp

Mario Kart would better compared to WipeOut, if Sony hadnt closed Liverpool/Psygnosis and the whole franchise down.
Always a chance for a new Wipeout to be made at Firesprite, as they're the spiritual successor to Studio Liverpool. They're a large studio working on multiple projects, so even if they're not making one right now, they could still put one out before the end of the gen.

Nautilus

Banned
ehhh doubtful.

But the Switch is a hybrid console, not a portable...

It seems you don't understand what made the Switch so successful. It was both the hardware being unique and innovative, with the excellent software that pushed it to new heights. The ones that are buying it aren't (completely) part of that audience, made up of people that aren't even gamers. The ones buying now are existing Nintendo fans, longtime Nintendo fans that fell off, and yeah, casual and hardcore gamers that never bought Nintendo consoles before.

The Switch is already at what? 115 million? Reaching 155 million, considering that on its 6th year and still doing 20 million a year, should be deemed extremely possible, even if Nintendo kickstarts the 10th gen next year.

Woopah

How much would you expect GT7 to sell this year globally?

Bragr

Banned
Mario Kart is also a massive franchise that has always sold assloads.

They’re not after the same markets just because they go vroom vroom.
Same markets? that has nothing to do with it though. It could be a VR game for all intents and purposes. What matters is the expected sales figures from GT and how it compares to other figures.

Not how it compares to genres. We are not comparing racing genres.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Same markets? that has nothing to do with it though. It could be a VR game for all intents and purposes. What matters is the expected sales figures from GT and how it compares to other figures.

Not how it compares to genres. We are not comparing racing genres.
And what are the expected sales? Enlighten.

Bragr

Banned
How much would you expect GT7 to sell this year globally?
6-7 million at the absolute minimum. But I hope more. I hope over 10.

It was the premier Playstation exclusive for 15 years, I expect it to compete with the current big boys, the Spider-Man, Horizon, God of War, and Uncharted sort of games.

Pretty sure GT Sport did something 4-5 million in its first year, but GT7 has a bigger install base and it's a numbered entry. I felt it had more hype than almost any car game in a very long time, and it had a massive launch, breaking records. It should be a big deal.

Can someone please show me where MS has said that Halo Infinite was a financial disappointment? I know we had a huge thread, based on a youtube video, where the guy never actually said anything about Infinite being a financial disappointment/failure. But I haven't seen a single person actually give a specific quote, or data point, that suggests it was a financial failure. It may exist, and I'm not interested in causing drama, but I would just like to actually see the receipts. Was it a quote? Was there some financial information that leaked from inside MS?

Mr Moose

Can someone please show me where MS has said that Halo Infinite was a financial disappointment? I know we had a huge thread, based on a youtube video, where the guy never actually said anything about Infinite being a financial disappointment/failure. But I haven't seen a single person actually give a specific quote, or data point, that suggests it was a financial failure. It may exist, and I'm not interested in causing drama, but I would just like to actually see the receipts. Was it a quote? Was there some financial information that leaked from inside MS?
Sams noted that the title did not meet Microsoft's financial expectations. According to him, Microsoft spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the game and the plan was to have a live service capable of rivaling Bungie's Destiny 2 or Epic Games' Fortnite, however, the game didn't manage to reach these goals and now Microsoft views the title as a failure.

According to Sams, the delay of Halo Infinite Season 3 was the "final straw that broke the camel's back" when Microsoft decided to make a major reshuffle at 343 Industries.

Last edited:

Woopah

6-7 million at the absolute minimum. But I hope more. I hope over 10.

It was the premier Playstation exclusive for 15 years, I expect it to compete with the current big boys, the Spider-Man, Horizon, God of War, and Uncharted sort of games.

Pretty sure GT Sport did something 4-5 million in its first year, but GT7 has a bigger install base and it's a numbered entry. I felt it had more hype than almost any car game in a very long time, and it had a massive launch, breaking records. It should be a big deal.
Mario Kart sells about 10 million a year, so GT7 could hit 8 million and be a big deal, but still be below Mario Kart.

So we can't really use a comparison with Mario Kart to judge GT's success.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Sport has been out for years and years. Every time Sony sells more PS5s, the game charts. Especially in UK/EU. I think the concern is irrelevant. I don’t even think it’s been on sale yet on PSN. But I could be wrong.
It sold 8 million in two years, estimated to around 5 million in 1 year.

Bragr

Banned
Mario Kart sells about 10 million a year, so GT7 could hit 8 million and be a big deal, but still be below Mario Kart.

So we can't really use a comparison with Mario Kart to judge GT's success.
Huh? that makes no sense. It's a perfect measuring stick since we know it sold around 7-8 million for three years, and around 10 million the last year. We can make some rough estimates with those numbers.

Let me look at this like a real nerd to explain my reasoning.

By these metrics, we can calculate that Mario Kart sold around 4-5 million in the U.S. last year. However, it's not likely it's hitting those same numbers at all this year, the last number reported was a bit over one million from March to June this year, worldwide.

Meaning, Mario Kart likely sits on well under one million sold since Gran Turismo launched in the US. Likely around 500-600k. Roughly.

GT7 had a bigger opening than GT Sport, which sold a million in the first week, which was about 160k in the U.S.

All in all, we can draw some rough conclusions based on the Mario Kart numbers, that GT7 launched big but was stunted and the sales dropped hard over the next several weeks.

If you estimate that GT7 sold 180k in the first week, the average it must have sold to reach Mario Kart numbers (600k-ish roughly), would have been 480k over the next 7 months.

AND, if you consider it likely sold the highest in the first few weeks, it must have sold very low numbers in the last few months. Especially since you would imagine that PS5 owners would be interested in new exclusive titles they can play.

That is all I am saying. I expected more.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Huh? that makes no sense. It's a perfect measuring stick since we know it sold around 7-8 million for three years, and around 10 million the last year. We can make some rough estimates with those numbers.

Let me look at this like a real nerd to explain my reasoning.

By these metrics, we can calculate that Mario Kart sold around 4-5 million in the U.S. last year. However, it's not likely it's hitting those same numbers at all this year, the last number reported was a bit over one million from March to June this year, worldwide. And most of those are from the holiday season.

Meaning, Mario Kart likely sits on well under one million sold since Gran Turismo launched in the US. Likely around 500-600k. Roughly.

GT7 had a bigger opening than GT Sport, which sold a million in the first week, which was about 160k in the U.S.

All in all, we can draw some rough conclusions based on the Mario Kart numbers, that GT7 launched big but was stunted and the sales dropped hard over the next several weeks.

If you estimate that GT7 sold 180k in the first week, the average it must have sold to reach Mario Kart numbers (600k-ish roughly), would have been 480k over the next 7 months.

AND, if you consider it likely sold the highest in the first few weeks, it must have sold very low numbers in the last few months. Especially since you would imagine that PS5 owners would be interested in new exclusive titles they can play.

That is all I am saying. I expected more.
Holly shit I had to read this take so many times to try to make sense out of it lol
Dude get hard numbers or shut up.
None of what you saying makes any sense.
So monster hunter sold what? less than 100k? Dying light 2 sold 5 mil copies in a month is not even in the top 10. Try make sense out of it. Also you are assuming that adding digital would make kirby or Mario Kart come close to gt7. You have no clue what the gap is between positions. You just talking out of your ass.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How much has gt7 sold? I thought it would have sold tons. Its on ps4 too right so it must be at 5 to 8 mill I would think...easy.

Chiggs

I told Gaf that there is a market for it.

The first game sold 17+million units across PS3 and PS4. Sony sold 80+ million PS3s and over 100 million PS4 consoles. So clearly there's a huge swathe of PS gamers who never played TLOU1.

20 million, per Variety. Not that I'm counting.

With around 20 million units sold across PS3 and PS4, the original “Last of Us” ranks among the best of Sony Interactive Entertainment’s games released for PlayStation over the last 10 years. However, its sequel has only managed to sell half as many titles after a lengthy development cycle.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Why is Xbox third? Supply constrain?
I don’t understand this…do people prefer pay 70/80 dollars at games instead have a lot of fun and choice with gamepass?
I don't think is about one vs the other. People want to play games they find interesting, you can only play horizon, gt7, sifu, tray etc on ps(not counting pc obviously) so yeah you got no choice. You to cough that money

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Why is Xbox third? Supply constrain?
I don’t understand this…do people prefer pay 70/80 dollars at games instead have a lot of fun and choice with gamepass?
You don't need an Xbox for GamePass.
Also, subscription as a hardware-seller seems to be a - tall proposition that never worked to date.
We have a lot (decades worth) of precedent for hw as a subscriptions seller/vehicle, but basically none the other way around.

Top Bottom